Sygg, River Cutthroat
Legendary Creature — Merfolk Rogue
At end of turn, if an opponent lost 3 or more life this turn, you may draw a card. (Damage causes loss of life.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sygg, River Cutthroat Discussion
21 hours ago
Hey lydia. I saw your comment on a thread awhile back and you seem to know your stuff regarding french commander and I was really looking into getting into the format because my local game store is going to start a new tournament.
Problem for me is really just that it really is a totally different format now that aggro has been introduced and control has gotten a big buff. Now i can't really decide which type of deck to play. Usually I make quirky decks that use weird card but that relies on an extensive command of the meta game that I don't have here.
At any rate. I'd really like to make a mono black deck to take advantage of discard being buffed or a blue deck because of counters but I also want to try out aggro and win by creature combat. I playtest the most dominant deck of the format Geist of Saint Traft and thought that it was pretty fun but I derive a little bit of satisfaction from playing wackier commanders as well.
At any rate got any guidance for me? I like the idea of an Erebos, God of the Dead deck that uses Pestilence effects or maybe Drana, Liberator of Malakir aggro? I was even thinking about Kokusho, the Evening Star reanimator! As for blue and black/green and blue I haven't looked into them as much but I though Sygg, River Cutthroat or Prime Speaker Zegana might be a bit of fun.
5 days ago
Creatures: Waaaayyyy too many expensive creatures for modern. Glen Elendra Archmage? One, maybe, in the sideboard. Mainboard is only for faeries deck. Identity Thief Interesting card, but... again... costs 4 mana. And it's answered perfectly by Lightning Bolt. Jori En, Ruin Diver could actually be interesting in modern, but probably requires cheaper spells, to ensure that you trigger his ability every turn. With enough cheap burn (and cheap is Lightning Bolt, Lava Spike, and the like) you could get a weird draw-burn with Sygg, River Cutthroat. Fogwalkers ETB-ability could be ok, but it's ruined by the creature dealing very little damage when attacking. Dominus of Fealty costs 5 mana, and you have no way of ramping or making the game go long enough for you to reliably play 5 lands - and then it does nothing until your next upkeep. Powerful ability, though.
Spells: Mindswipe x-cost spells have never really become popular outside ramp-decks. The occasional Bonfire of the Damned, maybe, but otherwise not. In this case, you don't really get a burn spell, and up to 5 mana, Mana Leak is a better counterspell. Also, if you want to go with a prowess-like strategy, counterspells are a bit of a no-go.Izzet Charm and Turn//Burn are a bit of the same - it seems like you want both a burn and utility/counter-spell, and ends up paying overprice for any of them. It's not quite a Lightning Bolt, or quite a Mana Leak, or quite anything else.
Some of the cards suggested by are a little on the pricey side for a deck with a "budget" tag, but a lot of suggestions are good: Young Pyromancer, Vapor Snag, Gut Shot and Remand are great and cheap cards for this deck-type (that is: decks that use creatures with abilities that relate to instants and sorceries), just to mention a few.
5 days ago
- Hymn of the Wilds (this card sucks in multiplayer. Every deck needs its instants and sorceries)
- Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast gold cards should fit an archetype or just be good, and this doesnt fit either category
- Ghost Council of Orzhova pretty bad actually
- Figure of Destiny I think your initial impression was right. Lets scrap it
- Magister of Worth white has enough wrath effects
- Tidehollow Strix no comment
- Arlinn Kord Flip I think Xenagos is better based on how the archetypes are shaping up
- Surrak Dragonclaw I think Maelstrom Wanderer fits the archetypes in temur better (spells, gruul beats and whatever simic does)
- Brigid, Hero of Kinsbaile discourages attacks, even against other players, which is bad. If we had included Azorius hard control, stax or tax this card would be fine though
- Gustcloak Savior I dont think it does enough
- Herald of the Host Serra Angel isnt good enough for this format
- Kytheon, Hero of Akros Flip pikers arent good enough in this format, and he sucks as a planeswalker I think
- Crescendo of War too slow
- Dusk / Dawn I think that ultimately there wont be a deck that really benefits from this
- Just a general note about white: we have too many pump effects. Lets cut a couple.
- Broodbirth Viper fine if the cube is lower power level, but its quite high now
- Quickling do we have a deck for this card?
- Serendib Efreet this card doesnt match up well against multiple opponents
- Reverse Engineer too narrow
- Should we include a few more morphs so that stratus dancer is less obvious? Maybe Willbender, Thousand Winds and Kheru Spellsnatcher? At least all these cards kick ass in multiplayer.
- Bloodghast only good in one deck, and even then, it requires some setup. I feel Reassembling Skeleton is a better option for the cube.
- Sly Requisitioner too narrow
- Triskaidekaphobia cute but too shitty
- Dark Confidant I realized this card will probably just kill you.
- Phyrexian Metamorph feel kind of stupid for missing this
- Spellskite maybe this sucks, I dunno
- Curse of the Swine
- Kheru Spellsnatcher
- Thousand Winds
- Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
- Waste Not
- Innocent Blood
- Bloodchief Ascension
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel
- Reassembling Skeleton
I think our next task will be deciding which are the best 50 or so cards in each color from our pool. that should lay the groundwork for deciding which narrow cards (i.e., archetype-specific) cards we should include. Curious to hear your thoughts on cuts/additions!
2 weeks ago
I had Sygg, River Cutthroat as my commander. It was a little complicated to trigger him often. And everyone were killing him right away to prevent me from drawing... Also casting Sygg 4 times is not worth it...He too weak to survive on a big, late game board, full of creatures. The deck ended "goodstuff" with rare interaction with my commander...
Tried Oona, Queen of the Fae and eventually I switched to Dragonlord Silumgar. He is really fun and always useful. You can build him "goodstuff", control, stax, or a steal/copy themed deck. Grab the best things in play and kill your opponents with their own cards. :D
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
She used to be the commander for the deck a while back, but I found that with so many unblockable options out there here main cloaking ability seemed redundant, and I found that I just didn't have enough draw power. Sygg, River Cutthroat solved that problem.
1 month ago
1 month ago
Ok, so here's a list of two-color commanders that are newbie friendly, can be built on a budget, are at least a little bit flexible in how competitive you make them, and are effective in a "mid range" build:
- Brago, King Eternal
- Grand Arbiter Augustin IV
- Dragonlord Ojutai
- Sygg, River Cutthroat
- Wydwen, the Biting Gale
- Olivia Voldaren
- Mogis, God of Slaughter
- Xenagos, God of Revels
- Omnath, Locus of Rage
- Captain Sisay
- Gaddock Teeg
- Selvala, Explorer Returned
- Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation
- Mizzix of the Izmagnus
- Nath of the Gilt-Leaf
- Iroas, God of Victory
- Aurelia, the Warleader
- Prime Speaker Zegana
- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary