Sygg, River Cutthroat
Legendary Creature — Merfolk Rogue
At end of turn, if an opponent lost 3 or more life this turn, you may draw a card. (Damage causes loss of life.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Sygg, River Cutthroat Discussion
1 day ago
My personal choice for a go wide deck is a bit off the wall, I would personally I love jank go for Sygg, River Cutthroat you play tons of unblockable creatures and you get sick cipher cards like Stolen Identity and Hands of Binding also sygg really is awesome at providing card advantage for the late game, but be sure to grab some deterrents like No Mercy and Propaganda so your opponents do some of your work for you
1 week ago
Snacrifice, I'll leave a comment shortly
Here is a Sygg, River Cutthroat deck I have been working on. The main focus of the deck is to generally be annoying as I accumulate resources, but to never be the biggest threat at the table so folks won't target me. Thoughts and suggestions on ways to improve the deck are welcome, though I wouldn't mind some ideas in terms of either making myself less desirable to attack or to encourage my opponents to attack each other.
Commander / EDH
1 week ago
Sygg, River Cutthroat seems a little "cute" here. Only Copter and Delver turn it on. I'd cut it for something that provides more consistent advantage like Snapcaster Mage if that fits in your budget. There are also just other creatures that would seem to fit the theme better: Martyr of Frost, Mausoleum Wanderer (even just as a Force Spike that crews Smuggler's Copter), Augur of Bolas, Fathom Seer, Grimoire Thief, Stratus Dancer, or Wharf Infiltrator.
You could also just run Deprive. It's almost Counterspell (which is always good in mono-blue) and picking up an extra land that you can loot away with Baral on an otherwise empty hand if you need to can likely be useful.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Tectonic Edge is not as good as Ghost Quarter, if you expect to meet tron. If they ever have 3 lands, the can play their nasty things, and tecedge let's them have 4 (then it destroys one, but they get to tap mana in response) - so the even get 8 mana. Enough for Oblivion Stone plus activation, or Ugin.
2 weeks ago
Thank you very much for the praise and the nice suggestions, nighthawk8!
Yes I agree and I am really trying to find the sweet spot between strong, flavourful and fun to play with this deck.
I'll comment on all of your suggestions below. Short version: I'll definitely try Smuggler's Copter, Umezawa's Jitte and Thieves' Fortune. Some of the others (like Duskmantle Seer, Thopter Spy Network, Notion Thief and Drana, Liberator of Malakir will go into my "Maybeboard" because there could be a spot for them in the future. The rest of the cards was already in an earlier version of the deck and did not work well enough.
Detailed comments on the suggestions Show
- Smuggler's Copter: I haven't thought about that card yet but you are right: art, style and functionality fit very well! I can crew it with Sygg, River Cutthroat so it is easy to get both the loot and draw triggers in turn 3.
- Thopter Spy Network: This is an interesting card and the abilities would fit very well. I think I excluded it early because I did not use to play as many artifacts as today. I'll have to check how often I have an artifact in play to decide on this -> otherwise I risk having a dead card in my hand / play.
- Duskmantle Seer: I like the style of this card a lot. a 4/4 flying for 4cmc is also solid. He lacks an enter the battlefield ability and rogue creature type but he might be worth a slot, especially because his draw ability can trigger Syggs draw ability (would be much better if the ability would tigger in my opponents upkeeps though).
- Marang River Prowler: This one was in an early version of the deck. I also thought that he would be a boss but unfortunately he did not deliver what I expected. The problem is: I can't cast him before turn 3 and then he does not deal enough damage to trigger Sygg. Also I can usually keep a few creatures back in my hand so I do have replacement ready if one of my creatures dies. And if the board gets wiped I also can't cast him because I have almost no black non-creature permanents in the deck..
- Notion Thief: This guy is really cool, it lets me steal card draws (which is something I can't steal yet!). I had him in the deck for a short time but was unable to get any value out of him.. But I should probably give him another try, especially in multiplayer games where he can get a ton of value.
- Whispersilk Cloak: This one has some nice flavour but otherwise it does not work in this deck: for this cmc and equip costs my rogues do always prefer a knife (or sword).
- Dimir Cutpurse: The lack of evasion limits the usefulness of this otherwise cery cool card.
- Thieves' Fortune: Yes! I can't really remember why this card isn't in the deck at the moment because it is so cool! I'll try to find a slot for it again.
- Umezawa's Jitte: This card would probably fit very well for both flavour and efficiency. I did not consider it yet because it does not grant any bonus to power when you first attack with it. But it is very versatile and I'll probably give it a try if I happen to get my hands on one.
- Drana, Liberator of Malakir: This is an interesting choice, because it could allow me to turn an unimpressive board into a lethal thread after a few turns.
- Thassa, God of the Sea: I had her in a earlier version of the deck. I do really love the card (I do also play her as a commander [Thassa, God of Tentacles EDH]) but she did not shine in this deck. She takes away too much tempo (I need to play something that deals damage on turn 3 if possible), almost all creatures do already have evasion and she made Sygg a target because of his 2 devotion. I'll keep her in mind though, might even give her an other try.
3 weeks ago
Lucca, Master Inventor
Perpetuate (Whenever you cast ~ you may put a charge counter on target artifact you control or a +1/+1 counter on target artifact creature you control.)
Whenever you cast an artifact, Perpetuate.