|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
|Planar Chaos (PLC)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
Each land is a Swamp in addition to its other land types.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (43)||ibraJG84 , Caldazar , Willis1994 , mcstang1986 , Supremespeed , TheAlmostHero , yungxak , NobleSlay3r , CastleSiege , angesoir , Mousemke , LPrats , Skulldrey , , chrysaries , themindbullet , elemental55 , Riku580 , dplerner , Hellsing , philktoken8998 , BobJeph , mziter501 , Azdranax , lorddarkstar , CAPTAINxCOOKIES , JAT0 , ironax , Justinaut , Vasbear1 , Fullmetalmage , TheRealPeaches , ToolmasterOfBrainerd , bradyofportdetroit , perrin515 , greanbeaner , warcry02 , ZombieFood , CoolBeansBrattah , jrschnoebelen , Nemesis , TehDelta , MagnaAura|
|Want (20)||Va1mar , sneferie , phoere , jtaddeo , VampSlayer , mlouden03 , saj0219 , ryuzaki32667 , mazrimtaim , Daeyel , rakdos24 , lorddarkstar , NivStormfront , JeremyTheMiner , Turtlelover73 , Ariumlegion , BlueMageBrandon , FwiFwi , KB2187 , GoldGhost012|
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth Discussion
12 hours ago
Love mono black and I can definitely see what your going for here. I think its a pretty fun idea, but I think you are going a but to heavy into the number of big fatties, and could cut that number down a bit in favor of some other things like more walkers like Ob Nixilis Reignited for example. He plays into your play big mana stuff but gives you more interaction than another creature. Basically I would look at more stuff in the four and five mana slots than the six and above. Basically I would look to things you can cast of off just a Lake of the Dead and a Swamp for most of your stuff than put in a few showstoppers that make use of the other mana ramp you have. Also if your playing Crucible of Worlds, Wasteland and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth are great things to through in.
17 hours ago
The other night, I got to experience the joy that is Bottomless Pit and Geth's Grimoire, which led to me drawing Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Cabal Coffersand Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. I got to win by tutoring up and playing Gray Merchant of Asphodel with 20 devotion and blinking him with Conjurer's Closet. Also, I did a gross thing where I played Puppeteer Clique, targeting Master Biomancer, with a sac outlet in play. Yum.
1 day ago
Needs Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth because yolo and also because of critters having swampwalk.
1 week ago
Your manabase is truly awful.
- You have too many lands that ETB tapped.
- You manabase color consistency is spotty at best.
- You have too many utility lands that don't provide colored mana (this is likely the root cause for #2).
- You are missing some key artifact ramp/color fixing.
- You are running some very questionable choices: Examples: Crypt of Agadeem you only have 7 black creatures total (not counting commander) Save this for a mono-black deck & Glacial Chasm my guess is you are using this to hold off attacks until you can combo off. The issue is this card combos best with Solemnity, but you can't run white.
- 1,2,3: Drop a bunch of the ETB lands and utility lands bring in Fetchlands and Duals (OG Duals, Shocklands (Ravnica blocks), Tango Lands(Battle for Zendikar) and Bi-cycle lands (Amonkett)). Choose what works for your budget.
- 4. Add Chromatic Lantern it will help with color fixing, stops Blood Moon attacks and makes non-mana producing lands into mana producing lands. I would also suggest Mana Vault and Voltaic Key. These will help you mana ramp and keep pace with Ramp decks which have access to green mana. Also missing is Crucible of Worlds. It help you recover from mass land destruction and ensure you hit your land drops if you are running fetchlands. Other artifacts to consider are: Mox Opal, Chrome Mox, Grim Monolith, Rakdos Signet, Dimir Signet, Izzet Signet, Lion's Eye Diamond Again, choose what works for your budget.
- 5. Remove your questionable choices and run Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth and Cabal Coffers instead. Urborg will make all your lands swamps, which will solve any black mana issues and make all non-mana lands into mana producing lands. And it combos amazingly with Cabal Coffers. It is way better than the Crypt of Agadeem. I also suggest running Maze of Ith instead of Mystifying Maze. Maze of Ith doesn't cost mana to activate and will deter attacks or at least nullify their best non-shroud, non-hexproof creature. Mystifying Maze will just encourage certain attacks since it can trigger ETB effects for your opponents. Which can be more valuable then shrinking your life total.
Other Issues and Potential Fixes:
- Graveyard Hate/Enchantment Removal. You added Pithing Needle to deal with certain artifacts but have ignored enchantment based graveyard hate. And I don't see any real enchantment removal. The only card that could hit an enchantment seems to be Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker. Leyline of the Void, Rest in Peace, and Ashes of the Abhorrent just straight up ruin your day. Grixis is weak to this permanent type, but blue has your best answers. I would add Cyclonic Rift which is the best 1 sided boardwipe in EDH and will help you recover from an oppressive board state or seal your position as the Victor. I would also suggest adding Venser, Shaper Savant. He can delay a spell from hitting the table or bounce back a troublesome permanent. He combos well with Riptide Laboratory.
- Troublesome Lands. I don't see any way for you to deal with lands that could ruin your day. Opponents running huge mana lands like Gaea's Cradle, Serra's Sanctum or Cabal Coffers or other trouble some lands like Scavenger Grounds. You have nothing for targeted removal of these threats Look to Strip Mine or Wasteland or similar lands.
- Missing Combo Pieces. Teferi's Veil combos with Sedris, just be mindful of the leaves battlefield clause from Sedris as they are still the same permanent still when they phase back in. And both Sneak Attack and Whip of Erebos combo with it and have high synergy with your deck. (same leaves battlefield clause applies to the whipped creatures) Also think about running Embalmer's Tools
- Quality Creatures. A lot of your creatures don't make sense or are just low on value. I would look back towards your original thought about ETB based creatures for the majority of your creatures to abuse. Combustible GearhulkNoxious Gearhulk,Molten Primordial,Sepulchral Primordial,Trinket Mage,Trophy Mage,Sidisi, Undead Vizier,Zealous Conscripts,Massacre Wurm,Sphinx of Uthuun. And then a few other key enabler creatures like: Deadeye Navigator which helps remove the leaves clause from creatures you cheated back from the graveyard and River Kelpie which will help you draw
- Better Tutors. You should be running better tutors in general and better tutors for your graveyard. Like: Entomb,Buried Alive,Demonic Tutor, Vampiric Tutor, Final Parting, Dark Petition, Merchant Scroll, Mystical Tutor, Fabricate, Personal Tutor
- Better Looting/Rummaging. Like: Faithless Looting,Frantic Search,Dack Fayden,Windfall,Ancient Excavation,Cathartic Reunion, Careful Study
- Better Counterspells. Like: Mana Drain,Force of Will,Disallow,Forbid
- Cantrips. Getting to your best cards is key to being able to play your game. Brainstorm, Ponder,Preordain,Thought Scour
- Recursion. Some options open to you are: Snapcaster Mage, Yawgmoth's Will, Time Spiral, Past in Flames, Mizzix's Mastery,Magus of the Will, Crucible of Worlds
1 week ago
PyreCracker Yes I have! I've put a lot of thought into Cabal Stronghold and playtested it quite a bit, but I don't like how it doesn't interact with Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth because it only interacts with basic swamps and the ability costs a bit more than Cabal Coffers which makes it considerably worse in my opinion. As for Cast Down, I am definitely going to try to work it into the build. I'm not the biggest fan of Vicious Offering in here, perhaps it would have more value in a more creature heavy or reanimator style deck, but not for this deck.
1 week ago
W: 2x Flusterstorm
1 week ago
Her ability actually isn't draw a card off playing a land, but rather draw a card of a land entering the battlefield under your control. That's a crucial distinction for this deck. I'm not necessarily going for tier 1 here, I'm going for some goofy synergies with Life and Limb.
If I have life and limb out, and a saproling enters the battlefield under my control, that technically counts as a forest (a land) entering the battlefield under my control. Triggering Tatyova. If I have life and limb out with Arcane Adaptation (naming saprolings), then any creature enters the battlefield as a saproling, hence as a forest, triggering Tatyova. I could Mind Bend my Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth to forests for life and limb, or have Realmwright or Prismatic Omen make all of my lands forests for life and limb. For the silliness of making all lands saprolings.
Those are some of the main pieces of the deck. Much of the rest of the deck plays into these cards. I'm confident that 44 lands will feel like enough with my general, though play testing will prove that. Not only will I be drawing with Tatyova off lands entering the battlefield under my control, but also off of any saproling that enters the battlefield under my control. That could prove to be a massive amount of card draw.
For example, if I have Tatyova, Sporemound and Life and Limb out, then I've created a mandatory loop that will draw my entire deck. I could play a forest, triggering sporemound and creating another saproling, which is also a forest, continuing to trigger sporemound. Every one of these saprolings will trigger Tatyova. I could draw my deck out with Laboratory Maniac, or end the mandatory infinite loop with Snapback. This is just an example of what I feel to be a goofy way to try to win the game. It'll be fun/funny if it works. Again, not Tier 1, but it should be fun to play.
I am already running many extra land drop effects, including exploration.
And Cyclonic Rift is a good addition to any deck haha, but my copies are in other decks. So I didn't slot it here.
Thanks for commenting! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
1 week ago
First off, I'm sorry to say but your mana is a bit our of wack an not remotely with your colour pie. Basically multiply, say, 18%(your red) times the amount of land. That's the amount that should have red or whatever. the pie chart shows you the card colour percentages for your deck.
Cabal Coffers, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, and to a lesser extent Gaea's Cradle(though probably not in this deck) could help add more accesability to your lands. Fetch lands are also ber important because in 5 colour decks it's not uncommon to be out of one specific colour. Also, most 5 colour decks have no basic lands, which is easily done, It's just a thought.
The much dreaded storm mechanic would be great here imo just because 1/3 of the cards in your deck are instants/sorceries. Even if there were only 4-5 of them, it would slightly improve your chances of success.
I don't understand why Tatyova, Benthic Druid is in your deck, it doesn't seem to synergise well. I think that Jace, the Mind Sculptor would be better because you can hate on somebody or brainstorm every turn.
Narset, Enlightened Master would be interesting here, although it may mess a couple of things up. It does cheat mana costs, though. It's just a thought.