Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Choose a color. Add to your mana pool an amount of mana of that color equal to your devotion to that color. (Your devotion to a color is the number of mana symbols of that color in the mana costs of permanents you control.)
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|TCGPlayer.com Price 2%||Cardhoarder (O) Price|
|$4.95||$7.11||$28.17||$24.34||0.21 TIX||0.6 TIX|
|Have (25)||DarkMagician , kevzin , Dadaman11 , gildan_bladeborn , Pencn , djsparkydog , casey , ibraJG84 , travis1643 , Surferdunks , DrLitebur , PapaSkeletor , gruntfire , Spinalripper , Gemeye , adventfaith , MTG1814 , Mazzuno , dahceht , ruflescl , Kitteninabiscuit , benjibot789 , Wolfninja , atom72 , Galdelonian|
|Want (11)||Chatora , AceofShell , arthurxisde , PackAttack91 , LordOrgasmus , Kravian , Georgez96 , shaderaven , golgarigirl , jamin , TheRealPeaches|
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx Discussion
8 hours ago
So I like the creativity of this build, but elves is an aggro deck, and your goal is to win by turn 5. You're going to be pretty vulnerable in the health department because you have to choose between sacrificing mana dorks or taking free hits, and either way it's not particularly convenient for you.
The first thing I'm noticing is you have too many lands. In a mono deck, especially one that creates its mana based off creatures, doesnt need 19 lands. 16 does well on its own, and if you think that is too little, 18 or 17 works too. Yes, taking one mana out really makes a difference.
Going on with the land problem, you don't need fetch lands. Deck thinning, if you run 16 lands, is not going to be a problem when more than half of your deck is creatures, all of which are useful to you. And those fetch lands pinging you for one life every time you grab a forest is going to wear you out very quickly. In that case, you will ALWAYS actually lose to burn.
Versus control, you're going to have a bad time without Cavern of Souls, and to boost your mana immensely, you need 2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. 1 Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers for legendary creature hate (Ezuri, Renegade Leader), and a Pendelhaven for possible outplays on your opponent's creatures with a 1/1.
If you're going to be running white it your sideboard, which I recommend, you can grab 3-4 Sunpetal Grove, or 3-4 Razorverge Thicket. I recommend the thickets, but if you cant afford that, the Groves are just as good. Opening yourself to white is very good versus red and ETB effects because you can use Burrenton Forge-Tender and Hushwing Gryff. Both of which have devastating effects and can be grabbed by Chord of Calling.
For Burn, which is most defintely your hardest matchup, you're going to need a spellskite mainboard. If you manage to get one on the board, your creatures are safe from lightning bolt effects, and other spot removal.
Imperious perfect isn't going to be that useful to you. Modern Elves isn't supposed to be token based, and you get your +1/+1s from Elvish Archdruid. I'd get rid of it. And even though you have a ton of mana ramp, you're likely not going to get an Emrakul out before the game is over for you.
As for Ezuri, you don't necessarily need four. He's a legendary creature, so if you draw into him with one on the battlefield, it's likely a dead draw. I personally run two, it's recommended to run three. Either or works, especially because it's likely you're going to get him by turn 4 anyways with drawing, your Elvish Visionary extra draws, Collected Company, or Chord of Calling.
I know a lot about elves :) I don't want to make this too long, but if you need any other help, let me know!
Here is my elf build:
And here is my Modern Elves Primer!:
8 hours ago
1 day ago
I think you are doing a lot of the right things (+1)
Since I don't know your budget on this it's a little difficult to give advice, but you could look at my deck Hydra's Fury or Ascension into Godhood, though the former is probably more relevant, for inspiration on how to use (or make) huge amounts of mana... there are bigger things out there than Terra Stomper ;-)
2 days ago
Have you considered Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx? I feel like it would work well in this deck
3 days ago
Windbrisk Heights can help you cheat some of the bigger angels in for cheap.
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx could help with ramp a lot.
3 days ago
It is added on top of any other mana produced by the land. Since the second ability is a mana ability, as Gatherer says:
9/15/2013: The second ability is a mana ability. It doesnt use the stack and cant be responded to.
Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx will produce some mana from its ability, lets say you tap it for White devotion and you have 5 white symbols.
You will get in your mana pool, then Overgrowth will trigger and add to your mana pool afterwards, for a total of 7 mana.
4 days ago
More Possible Additions- Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury- Primal Vigor - Managorger Hydra - Pentavus - Triskelion - Watcher in the Web - Yavimaya Elder - Spike Feeder - Alchemist's Refuge - AEtherspouts - Scatter the Seeds - Fog - Momentous Fall - Cryptolith Rite - Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx- Fable of Wolf and Owl- Aluren- Man-o'-War- Shrieking Drake- Blighted Agent- Avatar of the Resolute- Shamanic Revelation- Skullclamp- Triskelavus- Blighted Agent
4 days ago
So yeah, first things first, you'd probably wanna add about 10 lands in there at least. Being a mono-colored deck, you don't need to worry too much about fetch-lands and such (unless you just want to have deck-thinning). You can look up other lands to put out there, but off the top of my head I'd recommend Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx, Mistveil Plains, Windbrisk Heights, Kor Haven, Flagstones of Trokair, and maybe even some cycle lands like Secluded Steppe and Drifting Meadow. Maybe some budget fetches like Evolving Wilds just to thin the deck out.
Now, as I'm sure you're aware, mono-white is fun, but absolutely sucks for card draw. Fortunately, we're not limited to just white cards for draw power - we've got artifacts! RupertPhd already mentioned several, and I'd back all of those, particularly Mind's Eye, but I'd also suggest Slate of Ancestry. Being a creature-heavy deck, I'd imagine you'll have plenty of them out on a regular basis, barring a boardwipe or something - use them for card draw once you've emptied your hand!
There's also one of the best combos in magic for card draw that white can access: + . Use Land Tax to get your 3 plains, then activate Scroll Rack to trade them out for three new cards! It's a VERY fun combo if you can pull it out.
Your creature base and enchantment suite look fine. Might could cut some of the weaker creatures if you need to trim, but nothing feels useless.
Honestly, I see the nice combo of Odric and 2nd main phase sweepers, but I might take some of those out, just to open up more land space. Definitely keep Austere Command, at least for versatility.
Looking at your removal, you'd probably do well to have some of white's artifact/enchantment removal added in, as artifacts and enchantments tend to shine in EDH. Dust to Dust or, even better, Return to Dust, would work well here.
Personally, I'd cut out Elspeth, Knight-Errant. Sure, it's a creature every turn, but Sun's Champion just does that so much better.
I'm sure there's more to be done, but off the top of my head those seem like routes to go down. Otherwise good deck! I like!
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
- Kiora's Follower + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Prophet of Kruphix
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Wren's Run Packmaster
- Aurelia's Fury + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Karametra's Acolyte + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Dictate of the Twin Gods + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Gray Merchant of Asphodel + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Consume Spirit + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Singing Bell Strike + Voyaging Satyr
- Master of Waves + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Shorecrasher Elemental
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Weathered Wayfarer
- Kiora's Follower + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Elvish Mystic + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Voyaging Satyr
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Prophet of Kruphix
- Kiora's Follower + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Thassa's Ire
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Transcendent Master
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Temur Sabertooth + Voyaging Satyr
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Shipbreaker Kraken
- Genesis Hydra + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Hydra Broodmaster + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Voyaging Satyr
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Palinchron
- Genesis Wave + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Slate of Ancestry + Words of Wilding
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Cabal Coffers + Deserted Temple + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Kiora's Follower + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Singing Bell Strike
- Karametra's Acolyte + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Xenagos, the Reveler
- Magus of the Candelabra + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Voyaging Satyr + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Mutavault + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Seat of the Synod
- Arcanis the Omnipotent + Mind Over Matter + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Hydra Broodmaster + Karametra's Acolyte + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Launch the Fleet + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Xenagos, the Reveler
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Pack Rat
- Burning-Tree Emissary + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Bear Umbra + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Demonfire + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Angel of Jubilation + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Kiora's Follower + Kruphix, God of Horizons + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Khalni Hydra + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Wooded Foothills
- Freed from the Real + Kiora's Follower + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Argothian Elder + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Wirewood Lodge
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Temur Sabertooth
- Khalni Hydra + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Omnath, Locus of Mana
- Inspiring Call + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Courser of Kruphix + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Polukranos, World Eater
- Frontier Siege + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Xenagos, the Reveler
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Shadowborn Apostle
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Dragon Mantle + Triton Shorestalker
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Villainous Wealth
- Echo Mage + Mind Over Matter + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Rimewind Taskmage
- Gaea's Cradle + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Arbor Colossus + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Mindcrank + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Leyline of Sanctity + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Kamahl, Fist of Krosa + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Staff of Domination
- Crater's Claws + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Blessing + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Hero of Leina Tower + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Polukranos, World Eater
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Return to the Ranks
- Mastery of the Unseen + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx + Stillmoon Cavalier
- High Tide + Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx