Tap: Add (1) to your mana pool.
(2)(Red), Tap: Shivan Gorge deals 1 damage to each opponent.
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
|Urza's Saga (USG)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Shivan Gorge Discussion
1 month ago
It could also be fun to build an indirect double damage deck. Things like Heartless Hidetsugu and Firey Emancipation, with some support like Ghostly Prison, Leyline of Sanctity, Crawlspace, to keep you from being attacked
3 months ago
It doesn't get the damage boost, but Shivan Gorge is on-theme
4 months ago
If you're looking for backup (creatureless) combos, you could look at running Turnabout + Reiterate. It's not the strongest combo in the world, but it works with the predominantly land ramp package you're running. It'll take 10 mana to get started unfortunately, but once it's up and running you can make infinite mana, allowing you to recast your commanders. Addition of a Shivan Gorge would give you a win condition from it too, though I can understand not wanting to include the land. And both cards are ok (not the greatest but still do stuff) in your list.
5 months ago
Im missing Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, Embermaw Hellion, Jaya, Venerated Firemage, Syr Carah, the Bold, Drakuseth, Maw of Flames, Tibalt, Rakish Instigator, Dwarven Mine, Castle Embereth, Shivan Gorge, but I will get them cheap, so that's not a problem.
10 months ago
Hey, I like the new direction away from voltron. Nice Wheel of Fortune :)
I think you can push your deck further by adding disruption. When your General can make mana without needing lands then this gives you an effect that you should take more advantage of. Being only red means you don't have access to as many effects as decks with multiple colors therefore you want to slow down the multicolor decks.
Cards to consider adding:
- Blood Moon and/or Magus of the Moon : all mono red decks with as high of a budget as this one should play these cards.
- Price of Glory : land destruction that players have control over. Mana is made with Neheb during your turn and sorceries make up the majority of the spells here therefore this will disrupt your opponents much more.
- Smoke : underrated disruption in red. Other than Neheb you don't have a lot of creatures who want to attack.
- Arcane Signet
- Price of Progress : one of the best mana efficient burn spells in multiplayer Commander. Still does damage to each player with Blood Moon on the battlefield.
- Sulfuric Vortex : repeatable damage to opponents that doesn't cost you any mana. Good with Torbran, opponents take 4 each turn you take 2. Not letting white decks gain life is also helpful.
- Viashino Heretic : repeatable artifact destruction that can also do damage to the player.
- Shivan Gorge : repeatable damage to each opponent.
- Anger : with all the discard effects it's good to discard giving Neheb haste.
- Forgotten Cave : one mana to cycle.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Myriad Landscape
- Desert of the Fervent
- Bloodfire Colossus
- Syr Carah, the Bold
- Quest for Pure Flame
- Cryptolith Fragment
- Firebrand Archer
- Breath of Darigaaz
- Swiftfoot Boots
- Sword of the Animist
1 year ago
Love Heartless Hidetsugu , used to have deck built around him myself.
Gamble is pretty affordable nowadays and should definitely be included.
Godo, Bandit Warlord provides a tutor for your lifelink equips.
Thousand-Year Elixir is the most expensive card I will suggest but it provides haste for HH and allows a second use of his ability. Very powerful here.
Finally, not a deck suggestion, but a warning. If you play with the same group of people consistently you may find yourself getting hated out of games pretty early on because of the instant death pressure you present. This was ultimately why I stopped playing and eventually dismantled my HH deck.
Best of luck, hope this was helpful.
1 year ago
I like it! Nice to see a new face trying to push an underdog lands matter commander. +1 from me. I myself am not familiar with the cEDH scene but there was one thing about your list that stood out to me:
Since you are running Valakut combo as the main game plan, I wonder why you are not running ways to copy it, mainly Vesuva and Thespian's Stage . Since Valakut is not legendary, you can use these lands to copy valakut and get to your objective more quickly. They can also help to have some more protection for your main plan against land destruction. To boot, Vesuva also has a nice interaction with Scapeshift if you cast it when Valakut is already in play: in that scenario Vesuva becomes a copy of Valakut before the mountains trigger, allowing you to get twice the damage from your scapeshift play.
If you would go that route, adding Dark Depths to go with thespian stage is a small change to have another alternative game plan, although I do not know how viable that would be in cEDH.
Lastly, I was wondering what the reasons are for including Shivan Gorge .
Curious to hear your thoughts!