Skip your draw step.
Whenever you play a card, draw a card.
Your maximum hand size is two.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Null Profusion Discussion
7 months ago
Hey yeah of course I remember you. I've been wondering how your deck ended up being for you. This is by far one of my favorite decks and the deck I've invested the most time into in the last 3 years. I'm glad you came back to the game.
1) Why Wasteland? You may have noticed that all of the cards in this are German foil for the most part. I has been nearly impossible to get either Wasteland or Strip Mine in German, or foil for that matter. I like the art on EMA Wasteland more than any of the stripmines and it felt appropriately thematic for a character like Haakon, who's epithet being "Stromgald Scourge" suggests he would leave a Wasteland behind his army. Also, rarely does an occasion arise in EDH where I want to destroy a basic over a non-basic anyways, and I recently found an opportunity to get a foil borderless German Wasteland from the new Zendikar set.
2) Emergence Zone is amazing and should be played in all monocolor decks that can sustain one more colorless nonbasic. Also, there's a minor subtheme of lands being playable from the graveyard with Crucible of Worlds in this deck to support the overall discard theme. So the Zone is not necessarily a one-off use.
3) Fetches for the same reason as emergence zone: playing lands from the graveyard and if I get it going with Crucible and Ghirapur Orrery, I can really get some deck thinning going on by pulling lots of swamps out of the library. Why the two that I have and not the others? I don't have German foils of Prismatic Vista, Bloodstained Mire, and Marsh Flats is the easy answer; also theres a point where I worry about reducing the number of overall Swamps in the deck, but maybe that's erroneous since each fetch doubles as a swamp. The other real reason is that I have all the German foil snow-covered swamps and wouldn't have any other use for them if I took them out of this deck for the other fetches.
4) I haven't really gotten to use K'rrik since I put him in the deck. Took a while to source a German one and then get it altered and Corona has severely impacted how much I actually play EDH nowadays. We'll see how impactful the life loss is, but as with all such things you have to strike a balance between your greed to play stuff out with him and putting yourself in a dangerous situation. Lifelink is generally not the way I plan to recover from things like K'rrik, rather cards like Disciple of Bolas and Disciple of Griselbrand are usually more useful for gaining relevant amounts of life back. I rarely find myself attacking unless it's to get a sword trigger.
5)Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder has been in earlier iterations of this deck but his sac trigger from making too many thrulls makes him less attractive unless you can play something like Conspiracy so that he doesn't make thrulls anymore. Abhorrent Overlord is a key piece to generating a massive number of dudes to be sac fodder to an altar to make infinite mana. Since the point is to get to a play where I can just keep sacing and replaying cards from my graveyard with Haakon and Ashes of the Fallen, Overlord does that better than any other card in monoblack.
6)Bitterblossom would serve no valuable purpose other than the Contamination lock and I prefer not to play really "mean" magic like that. Contamination is not usually in the deck but I wanted to try it out because its art seems really fitting for Haakon once again as the Scource of a place. Also, it's a good card for helping a black deck catch up that is playing from way behind "better" decks.
7) Being that this deck hovers between $2-3k, I think it's safe to say that money is not a factor. I generally don't like playing tutors and already play way more in this deck than in a normal one of my decks because it's inherently so handicapped. Razaketh has been in it before and I may put him back in, it's just very easy to win outright with him on the battlefield.
8) Ghirapur Orrery has maybe backfired once on me, it's a careful balancing act. It backfired spectacularly on Justin Parnell in SCG's CMDRVS show. His opponent got a Bojuka Bog on the extra land drop and nuked his graveyard. I never play Lifeline until I'm ready to take advantage of it, and preferably when I have Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet out so that it doesn't work for opponents. Haven't really gotten to use Tombstone Stairwell because of the pandemic.
9) Null Profusion is amazing and underplayed. Play Reliquary Tower or Anvil of Bogardan afterwards and the time stamp of the last card replaces the reduced hand size with infinite hand size and now you just draw cards for every card you play. Works great with Haakon playing cards from your graveyard and Crucible of Worlds doing the same.
10) Yawgmoth is a great extra free sac outlets. Sac outlets are always the most important thing to have in a monoblack deck, especially one's that draw you a card and can potentially be removal too. His proliferate ability lets me immediately ultimate Liliana, Defiant Necromancer often too. He's generally my favorite black creature of all time.
11) Always always dredge Stinkweed Imp. More cards in your graveyard is always the goal for Haakon. The best is dredging him, discarding him to Skirge Familiar, and then drawing again from something else to dredge him again.
12) Creature tutors like Fleshwrither are always more appealing to me in Haakon because I can replay them from the graveyard. Fleshwrither isn't a good card per se, but it is a pet card and also just fantastic and frequently reusable. I can get graveyard hate (Kalitas), ramp (Crypt Ghast), or card draw (Disciple of Bolas) with him so he's very flexible depending on what point in the game I'm at.
13) Conspiracy isn't actually in this deck and Cryptbreaker is here as a discard outlet to help me get Haakon in the graveyard as well as be a infinitely castable creature from the graveyard with Haakon/Ashes out and Phyrexian Altar. That gives me all the draws I could need or infinite Gravestorm for Bitter Ordeal when it's in the deck.
14) I have recast Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger probably 5 times in a turn from the graveyard with this deck before. He's amazing and all I've needed. I prefer not to use stuff like Oblivion Stone or All is Dust that a lot of my deck wouldn't dodge as well, and since my wincon is a black enchantment Decaying Soil, I would have few options to recover from it if I was forced to use those. Scour from Existence isn't here because I don't like using over-costed one-off spells. I can tutor for Ulamog and use him repeatedly.
These were good questions and I appreciate you reading my bio and asking questions respectfully. Your manner of asking demonstrates thoughtful consideration of the deck instead of pushy insistence of a different viewpoint. Ultimately there's no "right" way to build an EDH deck, although there are objectively more optimal ways to design them. I have a passing interest in optimization, but am mostly making choices to balance synergy with flavor and a fun play experience.
7 months ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
1 year ago
1 year ago
Some of these might not actually be breaks or bends, but i'll put them here anyway, since they're worth discussing. Thanks for this list btw, i wanted to create a pentacolor break/bend edh list in forever! Ephemeron, Phyrexian Tribute, Broken Visage, Artifact Possession, Curse Artifact, Catacomb Dragon, Grave Robbers, Burden of Greed, Guardian Beast, Haunting Wind, Phyrexian Gremlins, Priest of Yawgmoth, Relic Bane, Soldevi Adnate, Spoils of Evil, Warp Artifact, Xenic Poltergeist, Presence of the Master, Mudslide, Soulflayer, Rishadan Cutpurse, Rishadan Footpad, Rishadan Brigand, Sea Drake, True-Name Nemesis, Serendib Djinn, Parallax Tide, Uktabi Drake, Propaganda, Mirri's Guile, Sylvan Library, Drop of Honey, Elvish Spirit Guide, Jabari's Influence, Barbed Foliage, Storm Front, Recycle, Storm Seeker, Null Profusion, Illusionist's Gambit, Overtaker, Reins of Power, Ray of Command, Prodigal Sorcerer, Instill Energy, Fire and Brimstone, Pallid Mycoderm, Mycologist, Orcish Spy, Killer Bees, Visions, Emerald Dragonfly, Arboria, Demonic Torment, Shade of Trokair, Vivisection, Slith Strider, Midnight Charm, Keen Sense, Simoon, Goblin Spy.
1 year ago
Lands: Flooded Grove, Sunken Ruins, and Twilight Mire are good in 3 color, and you appear to have an abundance of basics you could hew from. I also like Reflecting Pool and Exotic Orchard in 3 color+. Also good are Prismatic Vista and Fabled Passage, even if you don't wanna bother with the etb tapped Evolving Wilds and Terramorphic Expanse. Path of Ancestry and Opulent Palace are also worth considering, if you can get over their tappedness. Could also consider the omnipresent Vesuva and Thespian's Stage for other people's good lands or for your Cabal. I also rather like Alchemist's Refuge in these colors, and Ancient Tomb in general, which is also kinda thematic with your Gorgon general. Also Temple of the False God. And Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx might be super good with all your blue dudes. That means you could also run Deserted Temple (and run with a mini temple theme) for your Cabal and Nythos, as well as potentially your copylands. Finally, Strip Mine never hurts, unless you want to maintain more basics.
You've got Demonic Tutor, might as well run the superior Vampiric Tutor as well.
Genesis Wave might also be good, again, if a bit mana-heavy. In the same vein: Omniscience. Card's an obvious bomb with your general, I wouldn't shy away from it. You could also combo out with Null Profusion and/or Recycle, but that might be a line too far. Or maybe not, it's not exactly "infinite" per se! I encourage you to run em, go big on the Janktown Express.
Thassa's Oracle might be something of a win-con for you, and it's not bad with all your blue dudes either way.
Villainous Wealth from the new set is kinda cool, but maybe not entirely necessary.
Kydele, Chosen of Kruphix is a neat mana source, especially when you compare her to something like Thran Dynamo. Might be worth considering.
Abundance is also kinda neat for your draws–can guarantee no lands if you don't want em. Might be a little underwhelming, but might be a bomb, I'm not sure.
Burgeoning is almost must-run with this general, also, now that I think about it. You'd be way ahead of everyone all the time with it and your general.
Alright, that's all I can come up with at the moment, but I reckon that's a good amount of adds to consider for you already 104 card deck. A few of these I feel like you really should work in there. I'll take a look at potential cuts a little later!
1 year ago
1 year ago
yeah I didn't notice this was specifically for EDH. I'll go with Null Profusion as a crappier substitute.