Creature — Rat
When Burglar Rat enters the battlefield, each opponent discards a card.
Printings View all
|Guilds of Ravnica (GRN)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Burglar Rat Discussion
1 month ago
Each opponent discards X cards and sacrifices X creatures. Search library for X cards, put those cards into your hand, then shuffle your library.
9 mana is a 6 - for- one with two tutors, two discards, and two sacrifices
12 mana is likely going to get you into winning position with three tutors and such a depletion of opponents' resources.
Green! (inevitably the most powerful simply due to the mana ramp available)
1 month ago
1 month ago
I haven't seen a rat deck like this yet. Looks like a fun one. Burglar Rat maybe?
Also, not sure how relevant it is but Ayara being triple black and the adament cost on slaying fire seem to pull the mana base in different directions.
1 month ago
Ooooooo Burglar Rat and Fiend Artisan are cards I had not considered for my mono black sac deck. I'll have to give this a try and see how I like your version! I love it when two people have the same idea and arrive at different results!
1 month ago
I don't want to seem overly critical but you really need to lower the avg. cmc of your creatures by a LOT. You're currently at 4.62 avg. cmc on your creatures which is astronomically high.
You have a total of 5 creatures that cost or less and by comparison you have 17 creatures that cost to mana. This will result in VERY clunky opening hands where you consistently aren't doing anything for the first several turns and you'll hardly ever reach that sweet spot where you're able to chain multiple spells on the same turn.
Here's a list of all the and under creatures in my Marchesa list and her maybeboard that are $5 or less. Baleful Strix, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Grim Haruspex, Legion Loyalist, Liliana's Standard Bearer, Midnight Reaper, Oona's Blackguard, Sage of Fables, Vigean Graftmage, Yahenni, Undying Partisan, Burglar Rat, Chasm Skulker, Fulminator Mage, and Judith, the Scourge Diva. I would cut from the top of your curve and work you way down.
Like I said, just trying to help. Feel free to check out my list for inspiration, it's one of the top rated Marchesa lists on this site and there's also a decent sized maybeboard and over 90 comments to sift through for more ideas. Upvotes are appreciated Got 99 Upvotes And A Bitch Ain't One - Marchesa
2 months ago
love the deck - I have a similar concept (less self discard, more bounce) Mind crusher, Dream Breaker
Painful Quandary - makes every spell hurt
Oppression - painful quandary's smaller, more angry brother
Paupers' Cage - aoe rack effect is good
Wheel of Torture - aoe rack effect, with the best flavortext pun ever
Bottomless Pit yet another aoe discard
Rackling - rack with legs
2 months ago
Ah, I have piloted a mono-black discard deck for quite the number of years. I have Chainer, Dementia Master at the helm myself, as he is a rather powerful card when everyone's hands are empty, thus he reigns unanswered. Therefrom, a great amount of methods may be used to win.
Tinybones is less of a finisher itself, more so a value engine. As such, I would recommend possessing a lower curve to take advantage of the card draw and more potent finishers within the deck to hent for victory. Also, having card draw outside of the commander would grant a better backup plan. A discard deck's goal is to empty each opponent's hand and win by going unthreatened. If no players have cards to discard, Tinybones cannot provide draw.
The changes I would make are more instants so you kill things once they resolve as opposed to waiting a full turn, swifter discard in the early game to make your commander more effective, stronger finishers for the sake of ending the game betime, and just cutting some cards.
So, first, there are some things I would remove.
- Murderous Compulsion may go with the discard theme, but it's conditional removal at sorcery-speed.
- Bad Deal is ironically a bad deal, as it is six mana for two cards gone.
- Assassin's Strike is just egregious. A six-mana sorcery to kill one thing and they discard but one card. Begone.
- Unnerve is fine but not great. Being a one time effect at four mana, I dislike it, though Xantcha is a great character in the art.
- Haunting Hymn is six mana, which is far too late for discard effects to be effective. You want discard early, as it makes it far more difficult for decks to catch their footing.
- I have the same reason for Tasigur's Cruelty.
- Cabal Conditioning has an identical reason.
- I have a shortlist for this category, being creatures without long-game value; Burglar Rat, Liliana's Reaver, and Banshee of the Dread Choir have discard stapled to them, but don't do much else whilst lacking much in terms of evasion for Larceny.
- Scythe Specter is slow and other cards just do its job better, and Herald of Anguish is slow and lacks fodder for its second ability.
- Necrogen Spellbomb is just crap. Two mana for one card from a single player's hand is awful. Don't play this.
- Awaken the Erstwhile neglects the game plan of having more cards than your opponents whilst lacking the option of going back. I'd just add a stronger finisher.
Alright. With that out of the way, I may suggest other cards.
Upon card draw, you have none outside of the Trinket Thief, Rankle, and Geth's Grimoire. I'd add any of Phyrexian Arena, Sign in Blood, Underworld Connections, and Dread Presence. Necropotence may seem as if it negates the strategy, but it is always worth it.
Lightning Greaves just seem great.
Now, for the finishers I have many. Do note that these are meant to be played when people haven't any cards in hand, hence lacking answers for these once on the field. Sheoldred, the Whispering One grants value from each player's bin whiles eating at their board. Abhorrent Overlord offers a swarm of flyers to end the game. Grave Titan is much the same. Archfiend of Despair goes well with Tinybones's second ability. Though I am not too fond of it, Archfiend of Spite offers much. Geth, Lord of the Vault hents the opponent's graveyards to swarm the board. Kokusho, the Evening Star is a massive threat that harms upon death. Kothophed allows for a quite a bit of card draw. Lord of the Void is always fun. Lastly, Gray Merchant of Asphodel does so much every time it hits the field.
Of course, I'd add more ramp and reanimation. Mind Stone, Arcane Signet, Charcoal Diamond, and Lake of the Dead are great for ramp. Animate Dead, Reanimate, and Dread Return are fine ways to get stuff from anyone's yard, save for the Return.
That shall be all from me. Do enjoy your day!