Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand, then shuffle your library. You lose 3 life.
|Have (3)||Candyman949 , , gildan_bladeborn|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Grim Tutor occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Grim Tutor Discussion
3 days ago
Ox of Agonas is a cool card but due to the fact that is doesn't trigger your commander's ability, or synergize with all your tribal buffs, I would consider dropping it (but that's just me).
3 days ago
Diabolic Intent was incorrectly labeled but is absolutely in the deck. Im a fan of all the other tutors you've mentioned, Grim Tutor originally was in the deck and but can't seem to find a space for it currently. the other tutors are however to constrained in their limitations. Generally speaking instant gratification is what i look for in tutors.
thank you again for the suggestions, that being said what are the potential cuts for both Junk Diver and Grim Tutor? Considering that Scrap Trawler is a much better recursion piece in the deck over Trading Post despite trawlers limitation, that is potentially overcome by the replacing T.Post with Junk Diver. Thoughts?
3 days ago
1 week ago
1 month ago
Tutors are always a good thing in a deck that has any sort of strategy to focus on. So yes, I would run demonic, and if you can afford it Vampiric Tutor , Diabolic Intent , Grim Tutor , and if you want you can go with the budget Diabolic Tutor .
Feel free to post a link to you list in here and I will look too. We don't want you to go too overboard on the ramp etc, just make sure you have a good mix of the ramp that seems to work best for you. (Let me know how focused you want this deck to be etc.)
1 month ago
Update - A few changes following playtest to improve the flow of the deck. The addition of Mycosynth Lattice and Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast boosts the artifact synergy nicely. Grim Tutor to replace Return to Nature as a more useful card generally (able to find planeswalkers with removal abilities if needed).
I pulled a full art Tevesh Szat, Doom of Fools recently and felt it would sit nicely in this deck in place of Sarkhan the Masterless who proved a bit clunky in play. Not to mention the addition of 3 additional shock lands to increase the % of positive early plays.
1 month ago
Phyrexian Arena>Sylvan Library
Ajani Steadfast>Academy Rector
Grim Tutor>Vampiric Tutor
Swan Song>Fierce Guardianship
Kalonian Hydra>Vorinclex, Monstrous Raider
Smothering Tithe>Green Sun's Zenith
Evolution Sage>Finale of Devastation
Sensei's Divining Top>Scroll Rack
1 month ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!