, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice Bloodstained Mire: Search your library for a Swamp or Mountain card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Bloodstained Mire occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Bloodstained Mire Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, nice version of Kaalia, lots of interesting card choices.
You're playing a lot of lands that you only see in low budget decks. White is the primary color as there's more white then both red and black combined, but this is not shown in the manabase where there's more red than white. By cutting several lands that always ETB tapped you can improve the manabase to speed up your deck.
On your budget there's only a few exceptions I would make Nomad Outpost , Path of Ancestry and the three Bounce lands. All other lands should be able to ETB untapped. Because you have Bloodstained Mire then Savai Triome would be an upgrade for any Bounce land.
- Exotic Orchard --> New Benalia
- Battlefield Forge --> Boros Guildgate
- Caves of Koilos --> Rakdos Guildgate
- Needleverge Pathway Flip --> Scoured Barrens
- Brightclimb Pathway Flip --> Wind-Scarred Crag
- Path of Ancestry --> Karoo
- Dragonskull Summit --> Bloodfell Caves
- Smoldering Marsh --> Sulfurous Mire
- Ash Barrens --> Great Furnace
These are some land upgrade suggestions based on a $300 deck budget. Of course there's many other better/ more expensive price upgrades to consider such as the Shock lands, Battlebond lands and Filter lands.
Nahiri, the Harbinger is good in multiplayer Commander. Having a potential repeatable removal exile effect and with strategies where you want to cheat creatures onto the battlefield. Returning the creature you tutor for back to your hand is nice interaction with Kaalia. She's especially good with Rune-Scarred Demon and Emeria Shepherd . Phyrexian Reclamation and Karmic Guide are both helpful repeatable recursion/reanimation effects with Kaalia. Karmic because it's an Angel.
- Nahiri, the Harbinger --> Serra's Guardian
- Phyrexian Reclamation --> Walk the Plank
- Karmic Guide --> Chancellor of the Annex
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Underworld Breach is great late game, think about it.
Also im not convinced on your slow fetches. I would either run real fetches like Bloodstained Mire Wooded Foothills , basic mountains, or alternatives like Temple of the False God , Forgotten Cave , or Blinkmoth Nexus
2 months ago
Hey yeah of course I remember you. I've been wondering how your deck ended up being for you. This is by far one of my favorite decks and the deck I've invested the most time into in the last 3 years. I'm glad you came back to the game.
1) Why Wasteland? You may have noticed that all of the cards in this are German foil for the most part. I has been nearly impossible to get either Wasteland or Strip Mine in German, or foil for that matter. I like the art on EMA Wasteland more than any of the stripmines and it felt appropriately thematic for a character like Haakon, who's epithet being "Stromgald Scourge" suggests he would leave a Wasteland behind his army. Also, rarely does an occasion arise in EDH where I want to destroy a basic over a non-basic anyways, and I recently found an opportunity to get a foil borderless German Wasteland from the new Zendikar set.
2) Emergence Zone is amazing and should be played in all monocolor decks that can sustain one more colorless nonbasic. Also, there's a minor subtheme of lands being playable from the graveyard with Crucible of Worlds in this deck to support the overall discard theme. So the Zone is not necessarily a one-off use.
3) Fetches for the same reason as emergence zone: playing lands from the graveyard and if I get it going with Crucible and Ghirapur Orrery, I can really get some deck thinning going on by pulling lots of swamps out of the library. Why the two that I have and not the others? I don't have German foils of Prismatic Vista, Bloodstained Mire, and Marsh Flats is the easy answer; also theres a point where I worry about reducing the number of overall Swamps in the deck, but maybe that's erroneous since each fetch doubles as a swamp. The other real reason is that I have all the German foil snow-covered swamps and wouldn't have any other use for them if I took them out of this deck for the other fetches.
4) I haven't really gotten to use K'rrik since I put him in the deck. Took a while to source a German one and then get it altered and Corona has severely impacted how much I actually play EDH nowadays. We'll see how impactful the life loss is, but as with all such things you have to strike a balance between your greed to play stuff out with him and putting yourself in a dangerous situation. Lifelink is generally not the way I plan to recover from things like K'rrik, rather cards like Disciple of Bolas and Disciple of Griselbrand are usually more useful for gaining relevant amounts of life back. I rarely find myself attacking unless it's to get a sword trigger.
5)Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder has been in earlier iterations of this deck but his sac trigger from making too many thrulls makes him less attractive unless you can play something like Conspiracy so that he doesn't make thrulls anymore. Abhorrent Overlord is a key piece to generating a massive number of dudes to be sac fodder to an altar to make infinite mana. Since the point is to get to a play where I can just keep sacing and replaying cards from my graveyard with Haakon and Ashes of the Fallen, Overlord does that better than any other card in monoblack.
6)Bitterblossom would serve no valuable purpose other than the Contamination lock and I prefer not to play really "mean" magic like that. Contamination is not usually in the deck but I wanted to try it out because its art seems really fitting for Haakon once again as the Scource of a place. Also, it's a good card for helping a black deck catch up that is playing from way behind "better" decks.
7) Being that this deck hovers between $2-3k, I think it's safe to say that money is not a factor. I generally don't like playing tutors and already play way more in this deck than in a normal one of my decks because it's inherently so handicapped. Razaketh has been in it before and I may put him back in, it's just very easy to win outright with him on the battlefield.
8) Ghirapur Orrery has maybe backfired once on me, it's a careful balancing act. It backfired spectacularly on Justin Parnell in SCG's CMDRVS show. His opponent got a Bojuka Bog on the extra land drop and nuked his graveyard. I never play Lifeline until I'm ready to take advantage of it, and preferably when I have Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet out so that it doesn't work for opponents. Haven't really gotten to use Tombstone Stairwell because of the pandemic.
9) Null Profusion is amazing and underplayed. Play Reliquary Tower or Anvil of Bogardan afterwards and the time stamp of the last card replaces the reduced hand size with infinite hand size and now you just draw cards for every card you play. Works great with Haakon playing cards from your graveyard and Crucible of Worlds doing the same.
10) Yawgmoth is a great extra free sac outlets. Sac outlets are always the most important thing to have in a monoblack deck, especially one's that draw you a card and can potentially be removal too. His proliferate ability lets me immediately ultimate Liliana, Defiant Necromancer often too. He's generally my favorite black creature of all time.
11) Always always dredge Stinkweed Imp. More cards in your graveyard is always the goal for Haakon. The best is dredging him, discarding him to Skirge Familiar, and then drawing again from something else to dredge him again.
12) Creature tutors like Fleshwrither are always more appealing to me in Haakon because I can replay them from the graveyard. Fleshwrither isn't a good card per se, but it is a pet card and also just fantastic and frequently reusable. I can get graveyard hate (Kalitas), ramp (Crypt Ghast), or card draw (Disciple of Bolas) with him so he's very flexible depending on what point in the game I'm at.
13) Conspiracy isn't actually in this deck and Cryptbreaker is here as a discard outlet to help me get Haakon in the graveyard as well as be a infinitely castable creature from the graveyard with Haakon/Ashes out and Phyrexian Altar. That gives me all the draws I could need or infinite Gravestorm for Bitter Ordeal when it's in the deck.
14) I have recast Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger probably 5 times in a turn from the graveyard with this deck before. He's amazing and all I've needed. I prefer not to use stuff like Oblivion Stone or All is Dust that a lot of my deck wouldn't dodge as well, and since my wincon is a black enchantment Decaying Soil, I would have few options to recover from it if I was forced to use those. Scour from Existence isn't here because I don't like using over-costed one-off spells. I can tutor for Ulamog and use him repeatedly.
These were good questions and I appreciate you reading my bio and asking questions respectfully. Your manner of asking demonstrates thoughtful consideration of the deck instead of pushy insistence of a different viewpoint. Ultimately there's no "right" way to build an EDH deck, although there are objectively more optimal ways to design them. I have a passing interest in optimization, but am mostly making choices to balance synergy with flavor and a fun play experience.
3 months ago
Looks great but could use some dual lands to help smooth out the mana base. If Blood Crypt or something like Bloodstained Mire are out of this deck’s budget range, even something much less expensive like Dragonskull Summit would be a step up.
4 months ago
Really great deck. Just one thing - what is the advantage of Bloodstained Mire over regular Swamp if you don’t have any Mountains and non-basic swamp lands?
Other interesting card to your deck - Harvester of Souls
4 months ago
Thanks for your comment. I am very happy about such comments, as it is difficult to keep an eye on every possible combination with over a thousand commanders, especially with such a commander like Ishkanah, which you don't meet in your LGS every day. Thanks to your comment, I can see more of the potential of Ishkanah. I you want to tune up your deck, I have some recommendations for that:
I would exchange:
- Panharmonicon has only 3 targets + your commander... I think that's not efficien enough I would rather play this beast of a card: Ohran Frostfang because this card converts your spiders into carddrawing killer spiders.
- Far Wanderings for Cultivate because it's more reliable and effective
- Vessel of Nascency for Jarad's Orders because this card is just a perfect tutor for decks like this
- Blood for Bones for Victimize
- Is Witchbane Orb one of your meta picks, because a lot of your opponents play curses or burn? If not, I would rather play more carddraw because you have to less of it in your deck. Play Sylvan Library (or Phyrexian Arena) instead
- Drown in Filth with either another good removal like Abrupt Decay; Caustic Caterpillar; Plaguecrafter (Force of Despair, Darkblast, Snuff Out, Force of Vigor, Tragic Slip etc.)
- Cut 2 Forests and a Swamp for Bala Ged Recovery Flip, Khalni Ambush Flip & Hagra Mauling Flip
- Grapple with the Past for Fiend Artisan/Phyrexian Arena/Opposition Agent
- Entomb for any other tutor like Demonic, Vampiric, Grim Worldly Tutor etc. or Buried Alive
I would play as many cool utility lands with a sacrifice effect and as many fetch lands as possible because they're needed for Delirium and have also great potential with the MVP in every graveyard deck Life from the Loam:
- Evolving Wilds/Terramorphic Expanse/Ash Barrens/Jund Panorama
- Prismatic Vista/Verdant Catacombs; Windswept Heath/Wooded Foothills/Bloodstained Mire etc. (If they're out of budget, you just can play the cool and cheaper utility lands and you'll be fine) Other cool lands: Grim Backwoods!!; Geier Reach Sanitarium, Drownyard Temple Phyrexian Tower, Emergence Zone, Haunted Fengraf, Buried Ruin I would also add Deserted Temple because it can produce together with Cabal Coffers + Rings of Brighthearth infinite black mana.
Carddraw or Cardadvantage:
- Ohran Frostfang!!
- Driven / Despair!!
- Sylvan Library!!
- Night's Whisper
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Phyrexian Arena!!
- Journey to Eternity Flip
- Phyrexian Reclamation
- Fauna Shaman/Birthing Pod/Fiend Artisan/Survival of the Fittest/Yisan, the Wanderer Bard
Other good finishers/ combo pieces:
- Altar of the Brood / Blood Artist / Zulaport Cutthroat
- Craterhoof Behemoth or the budget version: End-Raze Forerunners / Overrun
- Triumph of the Hordes
Well, I'm sure that you already know what other options there are to tune up the deck. If you want to win consitenly I would add more ways to produce infinte mana like Nim Deathmantle + Priest of Gix + Ashnod's Altar or Magus of the Coffers + Staff of Domination OR another unigue and complicated way to filter infinite colorless mana with Basalt Monolith + Rings of Brighthearth is together with Mirage Mirror and a Swamp...
To make the whole thing more consistent you have play all green and black tutors, play fast mana like the Moxes, Mana Crypt/-Vault, Manadorks (Elvish Mystic/Elves of Deep Shadow/Llanowar Elves etc. and pack some premium removal in the deck to raise the power level. If you're interested we can brew a fringe competetive list together.
4 months ago
I mean I've also been a fan of Searing Blaze it's a little less good without the fast fetches Bloodstained Mire, Prismatic Vista, Wooded Foothills, Scalding Tarn and Arid Mesa. Other than that the creatures most seem to rotate between Goblin Guide, Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel - though you're probably want to be more spell based to play your burning man and snipe off creatures; if you were inclined to add black Bump in the Night does work. If you were to add white Boros Charm is super solid. Lastly, Shard Volley usually gives people a tad more extra reach.
5 months ago
Hey there! You mention the mana base needing some help in your description, and if you're still looking to work on that, maybe consider some of the following cards! Many may be out of budget, and you could possibly have been aware of them all already, and if that is the case I hope this can be of use to you as a reference!
Since you have the two temples, you may want to include the last one, Temple of Malice. Even though you don't run too many / cards, you still need that colored mana to cast Licia, and so you want a relatively even mana base. Same goes for the last pain land, I'd recommend including Sulfurous Springs since you have the other two. Since you're also gaining a lot of life, and because they are great in general, you may want to take a look at Blood Crypt, Godless Shrine, and Sacred Foundry, (the shock lands) which function very well, especially with the following cards: the fetch lands. Bloodstained Mire, Arid Mesa, and Marsh Flats are some of the best lands in the game! These can search for the shock lands, not just basic lands, allowing you to get any colors you need from just one of them! While that whole set is pretty expensive, it may be something to think about for the future. Now on the cheaper side, there are the wonderful fast lands, Blackcleave Cliffs, Concealed Courtyard, and Inspiring Vantage, which can help you support your early fundamental turns quite well! If you wish to include a lot of basics/shock lands, you may want to think about having the check lands, Dragonskull Summit, Isolated Chapel, and Clifftop Retreat, which tend to be great and also lay on the cheaper side. Last but not least, there are the filter lands, Graven Cairns, Fetid Heath, and Rugged Prairie! Now that said, here are some non-dual lands that could really help fix the mana base quite a lot that I would recommend: City of Brass, Mana Confluence, Ancient Tomb, Prismatic Vista, Fabled Passage, Reflecting Pool, Exotic Orchard, Strip Mine, Wasteland, etc.
Now enough about lands! Here are some ramp spells you might like. Land Tax, Arcane Signet, Commander's Sphere, Talisman of Conviction, Talisman of Hierarchy, Talisman of Indulgence, Jet Medallion, Pearl Medallion, Ruby Medallion, Sol Ring, Gift of Estates, Weathered Wayfarer, Chromatic Lantern, etc!
I also have a mardu deck, (A Deal With the Devil EDH ⫸PRIMER⫷), so if you want to check out most of the cards I mentioned on a list, feel free to pop in there! Anyways though, I hope this helps, good luck on your deck, and have a wonderful day! Happy tapping!