|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Masterpiece Series: Kaladesh Inventions (MPS)||Mythic Rare|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Gauntlet of Power
As Gauntlet of Power enters the battlefield, choose a color.
Creatures of the chosen color get +1/+1.
Whenever a basic land is tapped for mana of the chosen color, its controller adds one mana of that color to his or her mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (12)||ironax , metlguy , Pelli , Mortiferus_Rosa , KillDatBUG , mcstang1986 , Supremespeed , MyTotoro , Jauntu , mziter501 , Justinaut , cklise|
|Want (7)||xpsychovampx , samuelianstorm , richardmv , cj96.calimlim , rakdos24 , Didgeridooda , vashaclarens|
Gauntlet of Power Discussion
14 hours ago
Mogg Fanatic / Bloodstone Goblin / Goblin Spelunkers / Skirk Prospector / Spikeshot Goblin / Taurean Mauler / Pulse of the Forge / Radiating Lightning / Burning Wish / Seismic Shift / Grand Melee / Impact Tremors / Trove of Temptation
Cut these creatures and spells as soon as possible, none of them improve the Voltron wincon. You've got a lot of filler in here, I stopped adding cuts because it really depends how far you want to take this deck as well as what you'd budget for it. Mono red likes ramp, I'd recommend adding the mana doublers Gauntlet of Might / Gauntlet of Power and Caged Sun as well as some rocks Sol Ring and others. From your maybe board I'd include Goblin King / Blood Moon / Daretti, Scrap Savant and a few others. Mono red voltron is going to rely on you ramping up harder and controlling your opponents by destroying artifacts and land so Shattering Spree / Volcanic Offering / Incendiary Command / Mizzium Mortars / Fissure Vent/ Structural Distortion are all cards i'd recommend. Hope this helps, like I said it all depends on how far you want to take it but there are plenty of mono red staples that you don't have in here that would work well with a voltron build.
1 day ago
What about Emeria, The Sky Ruin? The ability to return things from the graveyard is always nice.
Odric, Lunarch Marshal could also be very useful, as he gives every other creature in the deck the same keyword abilities as everything (namely Zatalpa) during each combat.
1 day ago
I believe you will have serious mana problems with this deck, 20 lands just doesn't cut it in commander, even in a deck like elves it is much too low, so here where your average CMC is 3.68 the problem will be further accentuated. I would aim for 35/36 lands here so you need to find things to cut. Most of the equipment in my opinion can be cut, the ones that make Virtus unblockable being the keepable ones but even then juts barely, also I must compliment you, Tawnos's Wand is an incredible find. Additionally, I have personally always found auras to be sorely inefficient in commander unless they have a built in return mechanic or the commander is voltron which this isn't. I would remove these along with Mana Bloom which I don't think belongs in this deck. Other cards that can be cut include Platinum Emperion, I don't see the reason to run it its just taking space unless there is some combo I'm missing as well as Blood Tribute the kicker is never relevant and the effect, while on theme is by no means necessary here. I would also say you are a bit heavy on the board wipes in this deck, two or three would be the sweet spot in my opinion, those 3 being left to preference.Gauntlet of Power is another card I would cut.
5 days ago
- Thank you very much for the great compliment! This deck is my pride and joy and I try to work hard on it so its very nice to have that work recognized.
- Thank you for the compliment! It is surprising how broken a single color deck with a vanilla creature as its Commander can be. Regarding umbras, I would love to add more of them to the deck but their CMC is usually too high for the utility. If WOTC prints cheap umbras in new sets they will likely find their way into the deck.
- Great name and thanks for the love! Despite its restrictive nature, O-Naginata has been a powerhouse in this deck. I greatly enjoy Loxodon Warhammer but its equip cost is just too expensive!
- Another great name! While Gauntlet of Power does help our opponent I find the cheaper CMC is better unless our opponent is running a white weenies deck. Daily Regimen was actually in early versions of this deck until it got streamlined and better cards were printed. Getting to pump with leftover mana each turn is a great effect!
- I am not sure what you mean by "hard counters" but we have protection against counters with Cavern of Souls and a counter of our own. Its not much but our best strategy is to race in those kind of matches.
- I have not heard about that errata but I believe it to be true. Maybe that is why the Winter Orb was banned in 1v1 MTGO Commander ;)
- Early version of this deck did run Eldrazi Conscription as well as Enduring Ideal to tutor it up and attach it for only seven mana. While it resulted in some truly epic wins with an, often, Eldrazi Angel Hound it was dropped when the deck was streamlined. I miss those days sometimes.
- Thanks for the compliment! I will take a look at your deck and let you know my thoughts.
1 week ago
My wife plays my version of this deck, I built it for her to compete with the rest of our game night players.
Trinisphere will shut down aggro deck that are cheap and fast I.E. Goblins, Elves, Humans, etc.
You have no instant speed spot removal which can make a problem for you as all your responses have to be on your turn. So... Either run Vedalken Orrery to play WoGs at instant speed or play Path to Exile and Swords to Plowshares. I'd do both honestly.
I think that you should consider cutting the following cards:
Kindred Boon: Just isn't good. For it to have any affect on the board you need to have 6 mana to play it, and at that point you should already have enough ramp to play Avacyn.
Gift Of Immortality: The only way anything on your board could or should die is by exile in which case Gift won't trigger
Terminus: This hurts you as much as your opponents, the goal is to take advantage of board wipes and gain a board state advantage.
Mass Calcify: You never know when a white card will be the problem you're trying to get rid of.
Gift of Estates: Just play Land Tax.
Defy Death: It's just too expensive honestly, I mean you already have Emeria and it's sheperd so... If you feel the need to have graveyard recursion try Reinforcements, Resurection, God-Pharoah's Gift, or if you're feeling real fancy Reya Dawnbringer
Godsend: I get it. This is one of my favorite cards in all of Magic too but... It's not that good in a commander deck that can boardwipe every turn and not lose anything.
Norn's Annex: The cost to attack you is too easy. 2 life is nothing to a commander player, and if they happen to play white...
Curse Of Exhaustion: Just play Rule of Law it limits you as well but it doesn't matter to you honestly because you set everyone back so much every turn.
1 week ago
Some other dragons worth noting: Balefire Dragon / Thundermaw Hellkite / Hellkite Igniter (Incredibly powerful in decks that use a bunch of artifacts, not so much here) / Hoarding Dragon (again not so useful here)
2 weeks ago
Neat concept. :)
Just on first glance, your mana base seems really low. Only 36 lands and 4 rocks for such an expensive commander seems like you would get screwed more often than not. As a general rule of thumb for my own experiences, I rarely run less than 37 lands, and thats with 5-7 mana rocks and possibly other ramp effects.
A couple cards you may want to consider otherwise:
Crystal Shard. Allows you to pick up your tappers for U, or if your opponents tapped out to play something badass you can bounce it for U. Excellent utility card for mono-blue.
Counterspell. Cmon. Just get it girl.
Caged Sun. This is an excellent card and since your commander is naturally slower because of his cost, dropping this mana doubler and pumping him a little is pretty hot. If you wanted to get really rampy, you could throw in Extraplanar Lens (increase your island count if you do), or Gauntlet of Power (slightly cheaper and weirder caged sun that works for everyone).
Solemn Simulacrum. Theres a reason hes a staple and its because hes so versatile. Ramps, chumps, and draws. So very excellent filler to your strategy.
3 weeks ago
she does really well with stuff like Rings of Brighthearth, Extraplanar Lens/Caged Sun/Gauntlet of Power, High Tide, Bubbling Muck just to fuel her ability. Im looking up what the exact combo is, but those ones alone should get her rockin