If you control a commander, you may cast this spell without paying its mana cost.
You may choose new targets for target spell or ability.
|Have (3)||metalmagic , jecder ,|
|Want (4)||valkerye , Rhonar , jw560211_magic , ryanseez|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Deflecting Swat Discussion
3 days ago
Hey, if you're wanting to take your deck into 8 or more power level (PL) then you really need to decide how you want to win the game? At 8 PL or higher to win infinite combos are the way to go. Chainer doesn't need to be a piece of the combo, his discard can be an enabler. Since Chainer cares about creatures then using combos that involve creatures is best.
Some creatures to play for combos: Worldgorger Dragon, Mikaeus, the Unhallowed, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Gravecrawler, Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, Walking Ballista, Murderous Redcap, Pitiless Plunderer, Dualcaster Mage, Reassembling Skeleton.
Some enablers for combos to play: Viscera Seer, Carrion Feeder, Goblin Bombardment, Altar of Dementia, Phyrexian Altar, Ashnod's Altar, Animate Dead, Dance of the Dead, Necromancy, Twinflame or Heat Shimmer.
Some win conditions for the combos: Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat, Walking Ballista, Murderous Redcap, Zealous Conscripts, Gray Merchant of Asphodel, Dualcaster Mage, Purphoros, God of the Forge, Mayhem Devil, Goblin Bombardment, Bontu's Monument, Aetherflux Reservoir, Sunscorched Desert, Impact Tremors, Cut / Ribbons(Ribbions), Torment of Hailfire.
Expanding on loot can help to draw and get creatures faster into your graveyard: Buried Alive, Magus of the Wheel, Cathartic Reunion, Thrill of Possibility, Tormenting Voice, Azra Oddsmaker, Sire Of Insanity, Seize the Spoils.
Expanding on fast mana and/or big mana producers helps to have more mana to cast more spells which can assemble combos faster: Dockside Extortionist, K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, Crypt Ghast, Mana Crypt, Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, Cabal Ritual, Burnt Offering, Sacrifice.
If you're interested in any of these suggestions then I offer more advice in another comment that includes further explaining the combos, more card advice as well as cuts to consider.
Good luck with your deck.
2 weeks ago
- What is the point of Hero's Blade? Attach it to Norin while you have warstorm surge for extra damage?
- Extraplanar Lens doesn't seem too impactful in this build, with only 16 (15 after exile) mountains, I can't see how it's potential benefit outweighs it's vast cost of putting you down one land and benefiting your opponents
- You have such a low land count, even counting your artifact ramp, do you feel yourself struggling for lands if you can't get one of your draw engines such as skullclamp and tome of legends?
- How do you win, are your options either Insurrection hoping they have bombs on the field or MLD while hoping to have one of 3 enchantments that deal damage upon ETB, am I missing something? I also see the reiterate + mana gyser combo, what mana dump do you use, or do you just dump your hand?
- Terror of the Peaks - You're running warstorm surge which is more expensive, albeit, harder to remove. I feel the redundancy is needed in Norin.
- Sensei's Divining Top - Helpful to smooth out draws and overall utility.
- Ruby Medallion - Seems helpful in a build like this, even with 20% of your cards being artifacts
- Sword of the Animist - Potentially a bit slow for your tastes, but ensuring land drops is nice. Best part is, Norin exiles himself from combat after swinging (yes, he gets scared of his own shadow) so the only downside is the re-equip cost. Might be worth considering
- Curse of Opulence - Ramp and politics, what's not to like?
- Outpost Siege - Draw when you need or damage when your hand is full. I think this should take over dingus egg, but I suppose thats meta dependent as you do have a lot of wipes
- Light Up the Stage/Ignite the Future - Both are worth considering as the cards can be played on the following turn as opposed to the same turn. I think light up the stage is better in a build like yours
- Wheel of Misfortune - Draw and politics
- Lightning Bolt - Always bluff removal for cheap
- Deflecting Swat - While we will rarely have our commander on board, I find it's potential to be worth taking a look at ..... Counter counterspells, redirect targetted draw, extra turns, removal, etc... very versatile and potentially for free.
- Dualcaster Mage + Heat Shimmer - Classic combo, both pieces valuable on their own and provides another win condition.
- Not a serious suggestion at all, but myconsith lattice is really fun with your artifact removal, goblin welder, dockside, etc...
- Do you have enough basics to warrant ruination, or is that meta dependent?
- A note regarding confusion in the ranks, just wanna make sure you're aware that it triggers on itself, meaning, if an opponent has an enchantment, you switch control upon ETB. Many people miss that, it has saved me from many games (nice omniscience you got there)
- On it's best and worst days, how does this deck play? With such little lands, some of which don't produce mana (unless you have blood moon effects). With all of your MLD, I'm surprised you don't run Crucible of Worlds, given that it synergizes with buried ruin as well. Moreover, if you added fetchlands and sensei's top (not suggesting, just noting), you can use crucible for guaranteed land drops and top with fetches to manipulate your top deck.
- Meta? Budget per card?
I know it's a wall of text but I love Norin and enjoy playing him, albeit, differently than an optimized player like yourself. Please do let me know what you think of each suggestion as I would like to pick your brain about the most brave commander in all of MTG!
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
As a few people have mentioned, this isn't really a cEDH build as much as it's a classic pub stomp Kaalia deck. But that's ok. And there are definitely some things you can do to make the deck faster.
Rakdos Signet, Boros Signet, Orzhov Signet, as well as Talisman of Indulgence, Talisman of Conviction and Talisman of Hierarchy will all help to you accelerate your commander down, as will cards like Dark Ritual and Lotus Bloom. The problem that you'll have with 3 CMC mana rocks is that they docn't actually help you play a 4 CMC commander any faster. Long term, cards like Mana Crypt (inadditiaon to the above) will definitely help however they also come with a price tag. Still, a handful of 2 CMC rocks will help you play your commander a turn earlier which also means attacking a turn eariler.
If you are looking to make this into a more cEDH list, you'll also havbe to deal with blue decks. As such, Red Elemental Blast, Pyroblast and Deflecting Swat are all super helpful in protecting your commander from counterspells. On the side of removal, for cEDH you generally prefer to have more efficient removal rather than expensive sweeper. So Swords to Plowshares, Path to Exile, Wear / Tear are better options as you don't really care to remove everyhting on ther board as much as just the thing that's stopping you. And if yho udo want a sweeper, Toxic Deluge is a good one as it's not only cheap but you can control what creatures die and since all your creatures are larger then you cna potentially wipe the board of only your opponents' stuff. Fire Covenant is also good as you can pipck what you want to die. And both of these are far more mana efficient than 6 mana sweepers.
3 weeks ago
Vampiric Tutor, Mystical Tutor, Demonic Tutor, Enlightened Tutor, Rhystic Study, Necropotence, Cyclonic Rift, Doubling Season, Anointed Procession, Parallel Lives, Mana Vault, Mana Crypt, Archfiend of Despair, Sword of Feast and Famine, Triumph of the Hordes, Edgar Markov, Gaea's Cradle, Cabal Coffers, Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, The Scarab God, Dockside Extortionist, Deflecting Swat, and many more.
4 weeks ago
Omniscience_is_life That's extremely true : ) Proxies do solve the problem in a nice little nutshell. Honestly, I don't even really mind spending money on something that seems strictly powerful or super cool, but yeah, something like Deflecting Swat is a slightly better version of things that we've seen a ton of times. Definitely time to get the art set out : )
4 weeks ago
Imo, if you like playing consistent decks (which I personally do), you should go for it—if the price to do so is prohibitive, proxy. I just had a lot of fun painting myself a Deflecting Swat and saved myself a new iphone’s worth of money doing so.