Legendary Creature — Human Wizard
, , Sacrifice another creature: Create X 2/2 black Zombie creature tokens, where X is the sacrificed creature's power.
Combos Browse all
- Ayara, First of Locthwain + Ghoulcaller Gisa + Wall of Blood
- Ghoulcaller Gisa + Wall of Blood
- Ghoulcaller Gisa + Phyrexian Processor
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ghoulcaller Gisa occurrence in decks from the last year
Recommendations View more recommendations
Latest Decks as Commander
Ghoulcaller Gisa Discussion
1 month ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
2 months ago
If you could choose two legendary creatures who have "Partner's With", who would they be?
So which two legendary creatures do you wish you could partner up together? Maybe ask your group if they are okay with your pairing :)
2 months ago
And what about Ghoulcaller Gisa or Nim Deathmantle. She provides you with more and more go-wide creatures, each triggers with Ayara... And Nim Deathmantle an Altar can go I infinite with either Grave Titan or Wurmcoil Engine.
4 months ago
It's clear that you want to be an aristocrat deck so I would recommend more creatures. Here are some that card that make creature tokens and are more budget friendly: Bastion of Remembrance, Abhorrent Overlord, Aphemia, the Cacophony, Dark Salvation, and Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. Do you own Bitterblossom? If you do, then I would consider it. Here are three non-budget cards that you might consider after playtesting: Grave Titan, Bloodline Keeper Flip, and Ghoulcaller Gisa.
4 months ago
4 months ago
I have a guide/repository for card-draw cards if you want to peruse it. You may find some cards with more synergies that you like. Weight of Memory can be decent for self-mill strategies, etc. EDH Card-Draw Master List
As for cuts... let's see...
I don't love Forgotten Creation, personally. I always felt like I had non-creatures I wanted to keep in my hand all the time. Your deck is a bit more creature-heavy than mine, so perhaps it's pulling its weight.
You have the necessary components for Gravecrawler combos, but not a ton of tutors to make them reliable to get out. As such, perhaps one of the weaker payoffs for that can go, such as Vengeful Dead or Plague Belcher. If you're using Buried Alive to find the pieces then you'll only ever need one, and Diregraf Captain is an excellent choice. That said, your deck is fairly token-heavy so perhaps the incidental groupslug is being underappreciated by me.
Personally I think Endless Ranks of the Dead is a bit of a trap unless you're all-in on the token strategy, such as a Ghoulcaller Gisa or Sidisi, Brood Tyrant zombie deck. Very fun, but a bit win-more unless you can really make it pop off. I've never been satisfied with it's performance in my deck, but you're going wider than I do so perhaps it's fine. Something to think about though.
It all kind of depends on how much you're self-milling. You have a decent amount, but you aren't exactly going all-in. As such, Grimoire of the Dead may be a liability. I have played around with that card in some of my decks and it just seems to get removed before it works. When it did I usually won the game, though. It's fun, but unreliable. Rise of the Dark Realms is obviously more reliable but it's very pricey.
I never found the self-mill in my deck as useful as regular card-draw. There's not a ton of point to have 15 zombies in the graveyard if you only want to cast one or two of them over and over. There are payoffs, of course, but to me it feels like being in the middle-ground is way worse than being all-in or having minimal self-mill. I just hate milling over answers or Rooftop Storm!
I don't think you're running enough to make Nightscape Familiar worth it.
Honestly, I don't love Havengul Lich a ton. The color restriction makes it hard to use and you have lots of ways to bring out your own zombies already. He's better in a more mill-your-opponents strategy IMO.
Tymaret Calls the Dead is a bit of a weaker card. Exiling your own zombies is a bit of a non-bo (unless your self-mill strategy is really rolling). The lifegain can be nice but I'd rather run Whip of Erebos if that's the goal, or a better card-draw card if that's the goal.
5 months ago
You might like these: Dawn of the Dead (free etb + sac to Ayara!), Syr Konrad, the Grim, Black Market, Harvester of Souls, Champion of Stray Souls, Nim Devourer, Desecrated Tomb, Lightning Coils, Aetherworks Marvel, Cauldron of Souls, Carnival of Souls, Carrion, Dread Summons, Ghoulcaller Gisa, Hell's Caretaker, Awaken the Erstwhile