Each player may play an additional land on each of his or her turns.
At the beginning of each player's upkeep, if that player has no cards in hand, that player draws three cards.
|Have (2)||TheRealSpecialK , metalmagic|
|Want (2)||sheam03 , Hardhitta7|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Ghirapur Orrery occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Ghirapur Orrery Discussion
3 weeks ago
2 months ago
Hey yeah of course I remember you. I've been wondering how your deck ended up being for you. This is by far one of my favorite decks and the deck I've invested the most time into in the last 3 years. I'm glad you came back to the game.
1) Why Wasteland? You may have noticed that all of the cards in this are German foil for the most part. I has been nearly impossible to get either Wasteland or Strip Mine in German, or foil for that matter. I like the art on EMA Wasteland more than any of the stripmines and it felt appropriately thematic for a character like Haakon, who's epithet being "Stromgald Scourge" suggests he would leave a Wasteland behind his army. Also, rarely does an occasion arise in EDH where I want to destroy a basic over a non-basic anyways, and I recently found an opportunity to get a foil borderless German Wasteland from the new Zendikar set.
2) Emergence Zone is amazing and should be played in all monocolor decks that can sustain one more colorless nonbasic. Also, there's a minor subtheme of lands being playable from the graveyard with Crucible of Worlds in this deck to support the overall discard theme. So the Zone is not necessarily a one-off use.
3) Fetches for the same reason as emergence zone: playing lands from the graveyard and if I get it going with Crucible and Ghirapur Orrery, I can really get some deck thinning going on by pulling lots of swamps out of the library. Why the two that I have and not the others? I don't have German foils of Prismatic Vista, Bloodstained Mire, and Marsh Flats is the easy answer; also theres a point where I worry about reducing the number of overall Swamps in the deck, but maybe that's erroneous since each fetch doubles as a swamp. The other real reason is that I have all the German foil snow-covered swamps and wouldn't have any other use for them if I took them out of this deck for the other fetches.
4) I haven't really gotten to use K'rrik since I put him in the deck. Took a while to source a German one and then get it altered and Corona has severely impacted how much I actually play EDH nowadays. We'll see how impactful the life loss is, but as with all such things you have to strike a balance between your greed to play stuff out with him and putting yourself in a dangerous situation. Lifelink is generally not the way I plan to recover from things like K'rrik, rather cards like Disciple of Bolas and Disciple of Griselbrand are usually more useful for gaining relevant amounts of life back. I rarely find myself attacking unless it's to get a sword trigger.
5)Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder has been in earlier iterations of this deck but his sac trigger from making too many thrulls makes him less attractive unless you can play something like Conspiracy so that he doesn't make thrulls anymore. Abhorrent Overlord is a key piece to generating a massive number of dudes to be sac fodder to an altar to make infinite mana. Since the point is to get to a play where I can just keep sacing and replaying cards from my graveyard with Haakon and Ashes of the Fallen, Overlord does that better than any other card in monoblack.
6)Bitterblossom would serve no valuable purpose other than the Contamination lock and I prefer not to play really "mean" magic like that. Contamination is not usually in the deck but I wanted to try it out because its art seems really fitting for Haakon once again as the Scource of a place. Also, it's a good card for helping a black deck catch up that is playing from way behind "better" decks.
7) Being that this deck hovers between $2-3k, I think it's safe to say that money is not a factor. I generally don't like playing tutors and already play way more in this deck than in a normal one of my decks because it's inherently so handicapped. Razaketh has been in it before and I may put him back in, it's just very easy to win outright with him on the battlefield.
8) Ghirapur Orrery has maybe backfired once on me, it's a careful balancing act. It backfired spectacularly on Justin Parnell in SCG's CMDRVS show. His opponent got a Bojuka Bog on the extra land drop and nuked his graveyard. I never play Lifeline until I'm ready to take advantage of it, and preferably when I have Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet out so that it doesn't work for opponents. Haven't really gotten to use Tombstone Stairwell because of the pandemic.
9) Null Profusion is amazing and underplayed. Play Reliquary Tower or Anvil of Bogardan afterwards and the time stamp of the last card replaces the reduced hand size with infinite hand size and now you just draw cards for every card you play. Works great with Haakon playing cards from your graveyard and Crucible of Worlds doing the same.
10) Yawgmoth is a great extra free sac outlets. Sac outlets are always the most important thing to have in a monoblack deck, especially one's that draw you a card and can potentially be removal too. His proliferate ability lets me immediately ultimate Liliana, Defiant Necromancer often too. He's generally my favorite black creature of all time.
11) Always always dredge Stinkweed Imp. More cards in your graveyard is always the goal for Haakon. The best is dredging him, discarding him to Skirge Familiar, and then drawing again from something else to dredge him again.
12) Creature tutors like Fleshwrither are always more appealing to me in Haakon because I can replay them from the graveyard. Fleshwrither isn't a good card per se, but it is a pet card and also just fantastic and frequently reusable. I can get graveyard hate (Kalitas), ramp (Crypt Ghast), or card draw (Disciple of Bolas) with him so he's very flexible depending on what point in the game I'm at.
13) Conspiracy isn't actually in this deck and Cryptbreaker is here as a discard outlet to help me get Haakon in the graveyard as well as be a infinitely castable creature from the graveyard with Haakon/Ashes out and Phyrexian Altar. That gives me all the draws I could need or infinite Gravestorm for Bitter Ordeal when it's in the deck.
14) I have recast Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger probably 5 times in a turn from the graveyard with this deck before. He's amazing and all I've needed. I prefer not to use stuff like Oblivion Stone or All is Dust that a lot of my deck wouldn't dodge as well, and since my wincon is a black enchantment Decaying Soil, I would have few options to recover from it if I was forced to use those. Scour from Existence isn't here because I don't like using over-costed one-off spells. I can tutor for Ulamog and use him repeatedly.
These were good questions and I appreciate you reading my bio and asking questions respectfully. Your manner of asking demonstrates thoughtful consideration of the deck instead of pushy insistence of a different viewpoint. Ultimately there's no "right" way to build an EDH deck, although there are objectively more optimal ways to design them. I have a passing interest in optimization, but am mostly making choices to balance synergy with flavor and a fun play experience.
2 months ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
3 months ago
3 months ago
I have a Malfegor deck!
He's better off as a utility piece in your command zone rather than trying to build the deck around him. I play it as a synergy through discard deck. Pretty much all the Megrim effects, wheels in Rackdos colors, and a reanimator package (Reanimate, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Dance of the Dead, and Command the Dreadhorde). The World gorger Dragon combo makes a decent win condition. My favorite synergy in the deck is between Avaricious Dragon and Ghirapur Orrery :D
4 months ago
Wow, this looks like a lot of fun to play!
I have a couple ideas to add to possible ramp options. Ghirapur Orrery, while risky, might actually be a pretty cool piece in this deck. Since you generally have more land than the average deck, you will be more likely have extra lands in hand and use it's ability more often. Your pay-off is also very high and directly benefits from mid-game ramp unlike a lot of other decks. I've also found that this card can win you favors from any players that are behind or lacking land ramp (aka other mono-colored decks not running green). I would only consider running this though if your group doesn't run a lot of landfall decks, haha!
The other bit of ramp is strange but it's my personal favorite Mana rock. Kyren Toy, while not busted by any means, is actually deceptively useful. At its worst, it is a 3 drop that taps for 1 colorless but, if you ever have a turn where you don't need that extra 1 Mana, you can save it for bigger plays down the road! It's also weird and old with very creepy art! :D
I also generally think that Earthquake would be amazing in this deck! It's almost a one-sided sweeper late game and/or act as a finisher to close out grindyer games.
4 months ago
I came here via Trench Engine.
I really like this deck. You do have some great card choices, I'll propably steal some ideas for my Archelos, Lagoon Mystic.
I have some suggestions, as well:
4 months ago
Oh, Ghirapur Orrery is 100% my personal staple. It goes in literally every deck I build in paper. I must have somewhere between 25 and 50 at this point in time (it used to be $0.25, and I bought a ton back then).