Creature — Demon
When Abhorrent Overlord enters the battlefield, put a number of 1/1 black Harpy creature tokens with flying onto the battlefield equal to your devotion to black. (Each in the mana costs of permanents you control counts toward your devotion to black.)
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Abhorrent Overlord Discussion
6 days ago
Rune-Scarred Demon or Abhorrent Overlord maybe? There's lots of cards that trigger a reanimation effect upon death similar to Unholy Indenture . Shade's Form Kaya's Ghostform Demonic Vigor Unhallowed Pact Undying Evil Minion's Return that can all recur Kardy.
2 months ago
Chatterstorm: eheheh (also, this could have been a white card under different circumstances)
Underworld Hermit: eheheh (Single-color devotion feels like a strange choice for a two-color tribe. Also, compare the slightly more expensive Abhorrent Overlord .)
Samurai Frog: eh...heh? Feel like this doesn't quite live up to the 26-year-old hype mechanically.
Chance Encounter: yeah there's going to be some coin flip support in this one
Verdant Command: I've never liked green having Stifle effects, it feels out of place; I feel like white could have it at Secondary to go with its response suit.
2 months ago
I see your deck is budget, and I wanted to suggest some budget inclusions for cards that would create tokens that also trigger Ayara's drain ability.
Chittering Witch creates RAT tokens!!
Abhorrent Overlord Generates a LOT of harpy tokens as your devotion to black will be large with Ayara in play.
Rise of the Dread Marn is a great way to refuel your board with black creatures after a board wipe or large death effect.
Lab Rats is a great way to slowly add more rats to the field with enough mana for the buyback price.
Josu Vess, Lich Knight can be brutal with Ayara on the battlefield if the kicker cost is paid.
Necrotic Hex can be a good board clearing effect that also makes black creatures.
Have fun playing EDH! The best suggestion is to play with others and learn what cards you like and dislike using and adapt with new cards that fit your budget.
3 months ago
I'm confused by your mention of Nim Deathmantle in your first paragraph. So you not want to use the Deathmantle combo with Ashnod's Altar and Wurmcoil Engine or Abhorrent Overlord ? Or do you simply not know about it?
Since you asked for three, an infinite mana combo and White Sun's Zenith
Really most infinite token combos use permanents in some way.
6 months ago
Hello again FenIsABasicSwamp. Not sure if you remember me, but I was the one that was building a Haakon deck around the same time you were (a little after). I also had a GoT theme but went more discard. I've been out of the magic scene for a bit but I was coming back to check out your deck because I am trying to revamp my version. I am still amazed at this deck as it truly does everything that I love in Magic. If I could upvote this twice I definitely would. I have some questions for you if that's alright.
2) How relevant has Emergence Zone been?
3) Why fetches in a mono-colored deck? I understand filtering, but you only play two and it seems you have a lot of draw.
4) Has K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth earned his place? Also, how do you supplement the lifeloss? I see some lifelink (and he has it as well) but have you ever needed to worry about the life lost from using him? Do you try to win before this is a problem?
6) Is Bitterblossom not worthwhile for the Contamination combo? If not, how come? I see Winter Orb in the sideboard so it seems like you may want to lockdown in some cases to ensure the deck gets to the mid-to-late game.
7) I know that Sidisi, Undead Vizier can be a repeatable tutor, but how come you don't play more tutors like Vampiric Tutor, Imperial Seal or even Increasing Ambition? (Unless money is a factor)? Also, why no Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Especially with the token generation factor.
9) Null Profusion is a card I've always meant to try, but the limit of two cards has always deterred me. How has it played for you? Staple? Needed? Just okay?
10) I'm SURE I'm missing something with Yawgmoth, Thran Physician, but he seems "off" to me in your list. You have enough draw to not worry about losing life and sacking a creature that can be sacked to other things. What does he bring to this kind of build?
11) Is the dredge from Stinkweed Imp needed? Do you constantly dredge whenever you can or is there a time and place?
14) Has Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger's cast trigger been enough non-creature removal? I saw the comment about Feed the Swarm so I won't suggest it, but what about Oblivion Stone, All Is Dust, and even Scour from Existence? If they're not needed, how come?
I read your Bio. I understand that your specifically chose not to use some of the cards and combos I've listed here. I hope that my questions come across as curiosity, not "you should do this and do that."
I know I've asked a lot of questions in this on comment, but if you could do me one more thing. Since you like underrated themes and/or commanders would you be willing to take a look at my Rakdos the Defiler deck? He is one I built early in my Magic career, purely for a theme, and without a template. He has become a powerful deck since and I'd love to hear your thoughts!
9 months ago
It's clear that you want to be an aristocrat deck so I would recommend more creatures. Here are some that card that make creature tokens and are more budget friendly: Bastion of Remembrance, Abhorrent Overlord, Aphemia, the Cacophony, Dark Salvation, and Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder. Do you own Bitterblossom? If you do, then I would consider it. Here are three non-budget cards that you might consider after playtesting: Grave Titan, Bloodline Keeper Flip, and Ghoulcaller Gisa.
10 months ago
Hi! Thank you for creating this deck, i was looking for some cool demon deck, but only what i found were just decks filled with some expensive demons. However this deck has interesting engine in it that can cheat out demons or bring them back again from graveyard, and i love it! I'm playing it often, and still enjoying it. I made some personal changes, because not every card was available to me or i just wanted different demons there. :)
From sorcery i just cut out Duress, because i didn't need it, and it created space for more demons. :)
So for creatures: i kept all small dudes spawning small creatures - basically your nice cheating engine is kept untouched. However i made changes to some demons. Here is my list of demons:
one more Abhorrent Overlord because this card is fantastic in this deck as it spawns small creatures to sacrifice or chump block. So overall i have 2 of them in deck.
i kept Eater of Hope
i kept Kothophed, Soul Hoarder
i added 2x Overseer of the Damned because it creates more small creatures and can destroy enemy threat each time u pull him out.
added 1x Harvester of Souls as another card draw engine, and potential blocker for enormous creatures.
added 1x Lord of the Void cuz he is just so damn strong and people freak out when i pull him on board. :D
as an experiment i added 1x Desecration Demon but eventually i decided to remove him because if opponent have a lot of creatures, sacrificing one of them is not good enough for you and you have nor attacker or blocker. I put there 1x Griselbrand instead, because this deck lacks lifegain a little bit. I wish i could put there Westvale Abbey Flip to get Ormendahl, Profane Prince but this card is unavailable for me.
Having Liliana's Contract as an alternate win condition is great, because some decks like to get tons of life, so with that you can surpass it.
Overall this deck performed very well for me, it is also good against mill, because if he mills your demons into your graveyard, you just need to pull them on board, you don't want to draw them anyways. :D