Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Coffin Queen Discussion
10 hours ago
Hey guys I own a playset of Coffin Queen and want to build a deck together with Buried Alive. Does anyone know cards which I can use to build around this combo? Thank you very much for your suggestions
1 week ago
Then I would do you no good, I typically go for mechanics rather than good stuff.
I would suggest a Coffin Queen, it widens your recursion a lot.
2 weeks ago
Okay so, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the point of this deck is to use your opponent's best cards against them by first milling them then stealing them from the graveyard.
So in terms of cards that mill, I wouldn't actually use too many, because we want room for abusing those cards in the graveyard. I would say like 21ish? Here are the ones that you have that I think you should keep:
- Mesmeric Orb, which is by far the best mill card. Like, it's not even close. This mills everyone, but it's just so effective in milling. If you worried about milling yourself out (but don't be), either toss in an OG eldrazi titan such as Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre or reanimate Laboratory Maniac or Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar with your deck, since this deck will most likely have a lot of reanimate effects.
- Consuming Aberration
- Jace's Archivist
- Mind Funeral
- Whispering Madness
- Dreamborn Muse
These along with Life's Finale, Jace, Memory Adept, Phenax, God of Deception, Undead Alchemist, Nemesis of Reason, Mirko Vosk, Mind Drinker, Trepanation Blade, Keening Stone, Sword of Body and Mind, Mind Grind, Mindcrank, Duskmantle Guildmage (these two are good because of the combo with Bloodchief Ascension, not on their own, obviously), Startled Awake Flip, and Talent of the Telepath puts you right on target of 21. It's a solid mill package, so I'd drop Dismal Failure, Psychic Strike, Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver, Liliana of the Veil (I know it seems great, but I really think that a deck like this needs more focus on the goal), and Necromaster Dragon.
Next, the abuse! This is one of the most untapped aspects of many mill decks, and it saddens me. What we need is an array of ways to get effects from opponents' graveyards, but the cards that we have unfortunately usually limit themselves to what card type they can get out of graveyards, such as artifacts, creatures, or instants/sorceries. According to EDHREC.com, the average deck runs 24 creatures, 12 artifacts, and 18 instants + sorceries. Based on those numbers, we should see at least 9 creature-stealing cards, at least 5 artifact stealing cards, and at least 7 instant/sorcery stealing cards, since we probably want 21 of these as well. For the artifact stealing cards, there are only two, and they are Geth, Lord of the Vault and Beacon of Unrest, so lets include 3 tutors to get these two cards as well. Those can be Demonic Tutor, Brainspoil, and Beseech the Queen. Next, the creature ones! I would say the best 9 are Reanimate, Animate Dead, Coffin Queen, Necromancy, Chainer, Dementia Master, Extract from Darkness, Ashen Powder, Sepulchral Primordial, and Nezumi Graverobber. Lastly, the instant/sorceries can be gotten via Memory Plunder, Spelltwine, Wrexial, the Risen Deep, Chancellor of the Spires, and Diluvian Primordial, so let's include Ethereal Usher and Netherborn Phalanx to be able to tutor for Memory Plunder if the commander isn't able to do what we need to do and Geth, Lord of the Vault otherwise. These tutors are really going to make sure you get what is best, as opposed to lots of cards like Jace's Mindseeker that get you a random card. What we want is assurance that the card we are getting is going to be impactful.
In short, for the aikido aspect, I suggest dropping Jace's Mindseeker, Phyrexian Metamorph, Puppeteer Clique, Gruesome Encore, Rise from the Grave, and Soul Ransom in order to add Beacon of Unrest, Demonic Tutor, Brainspoil, Beseech the Queen, Reanimate, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Nezumi Graverobber, Coffin Queen, Chainer, Dementia Master, Ashen Powder, Memory Plunder, Ethereal Usher, and Netherborn Phalanx.
That concludes the 43 cards I think you should absolutely run (21 mill, 21 reanimate, Bloodchief Ascension). That gives you 20 slots to put in whatever you would like after you put in the 37 manabase cards, but I think you will probably want about 7 ramp, 7 draw, and 7 spot removal (maybe fit a Laboratory Maniac as mentioned earlier), but I think you got those handled!
And yes, those two cards you mentioned aren't going to work, not necessarily because they're weak, but because they're too expensive when there are better options for cheaper.
3 weeks ago
1 month ago
DeckedGuru, While I don't think you're going in the wrong direction, you listed a lot of sup-par cards right there:
- Anthem of Rakdos, Gratuitous Violence is practically the same thing, but all the time.
- Grave Upheaval is a highly overpriced effect when Reanimate, Dance of the Dead, Animate Dead, Necromancy, Coffin Queen, Feldon of the Third Path, and Dread Return all exist, and Dread Return even functions from the graveyard.
- Dark Withering, just because discard is your theme doesn't mean you have to include mediocre removal spells just because they fit your theme. You don't see me running Irradiate in my artifact decks for the same reason. Dark Withering can basically only be cast when you can discard a card, making it a pseudo-sorcery, and is outclassed by other all around good removal in these colors, like Terminate, Tragic Slip, and Malicious Affliction.
- Kolaghan's Command, I know it's a beast in 60 card formats, but all of those modes are pretty useless in EDH, except the artifact removal, but that's outclassed by Shattering Spree, Vandalblast, and Goblin Welder.
- Library of Leng, capitalizing on the cards you're discarding being in the graveyard is a million times better than basically guaranteeing you're not going to draw any new cards.
- Pain Magnification, this one is actually pretty good, but this is a friendly reminder that Larceny exists and is amazing.
- Megrim, Liliana's Caress, and Quest for the Nihil Stone, unless you have a full set of Wheel of Fortune effects, these guys end up having way less of an impact than you'd think they do in a 40 life format. Same goes for The Rack. Bloodchief Ascension on the other hand, is typically strong enough to include anyway.
- Necrogen Mists, this one's also not bad, but you forgot all of its siblings: Bottomless Pit, Oppression, Stronghold Rats, and Creeping Dread.
As far as the hellbent theme goes, I wouldn't focus too much on it, since Neheb's effect isn't that great, and there are only two hellbent card worth including, which also aren't that great... Instead if you focus on just capitalizing on the cards you're throwing in the graveyard and stripping away your opponent's hands, then you can still draw lots of cards without being counter to your main strategy. Stuff like Geth's Grimoire and Phyrexian Arena can keep you flush while your opponents struggle to have things to play, and Mask of Memory fits really nicely here since our commander is low cost and is going to be attacking.
3 months ago
In BUG colors you get the whole infect package. Green and black offer you the critters or enchantments (i.e. Glistening Oil) whileblue let's you abuse proliferate mechanics.
A word of forewarning, playing infect makes you the target. The bulk of infect critters are typically small bodied which means it's harder to push through. Of course, there's way around that and if you manage to poison everyone with a single counter you can easily abuse proliferate to win.
I've seen infect Atraxa decks and they can be brutal. However, her proliferate ability seems slow to me if you just expect her to do it all. The addition of white doesn't seem to add much to your strategy.
As per the reanimation part. I prefer passive reanimation spells like Oversold Cemetery over single use spells like Reanimate but if reanimation is the theme you're going with then Necromancy, Dread Return (works nicely with the zombs), Vigor Mortis, Animate Dead, Beacon of Unrest, Life/Death, ect. all work. Tortured Existence and Phyrexian Reclamation are great budget options too and work great. Some creatures like Sheoldred, Whispering One, Hell's Caretaker, Coffin Queen, Doomed Necromancer are all solid options.
Note that some of these let you pick a critter from ANY graveyard. That is why I would recommend Mesmeric Orb with Sidisi. You can make so many zombs and it fills everyone's yard- ripe for the picking.
3 months ago
Cut -- Abyssal Gatekeeper (unlike Fleshbag and Co, this can hurt more than it helps since it isn't around to feed itself) Bloodghast (no real advantage with Shirei, and is inconsistent as redundancy), Bloodthrone Vampire (doesn't offer you anything for feeding it), Coffin Queen (better with high cost ETBs), Crypt Rats (doesn't function with your commander), Deathgreeter (life gain is pointless), Disciple of Phenax, Falkenrath Noble, Hell's Caretaker (too grindy).
Also consider, Dance of the Dead, Mindslicer (you only need to sac this once with a draw engine and you've basically won), Toxic Deluge, Mesmeric Orb (most efficient yard filler ever), and Ad Nauseam.
You could also safely cut some of the 0 mana creatures since they don't really do anything, Liliana, Heretical Healer Flip, and Dark Prophecy (you already have a lot of draw, and this can actually kill you if you have a slow or unclear path to victory).
Some additional lands to consider: Inventors' Fair, you have enough artifacts to satisfy it, and it tutors some of your most needed cards; Westvale Abbey Flip can get you out of a jam if you pay too much life; and Wasteland/Tectonic Edge/Dust Bowl help you play a little more into Crucible of Worlds.
3 months ago
Aegis of the Gods (human) gives hexproof. prevents discarding, milling, burning.
Phyrexian Reclamation: you can take your own creatures (milled, burned or countered) to your hand and play them again - but life must be payed.
Big Game Hunter (human) is very good agains eldrazi or green decks with heavy creatures. also against show and tell and ressurection.
Coffin Queen (sadly no human) good against ressurection, milling and counter-decks.
Asylum Visitor (sadly no human) good against discard and good for additional card draw.