|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
As long as Winter Orb is untapped, players can't untap more than one land during their untap steps.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (28)||Enivid , Ferritt , Supremespeed , DrLitebur , Vasbear1 , dizzierabit , TheLazyGrim , kaboomeow , Shiromakuro , Sparky41 , mziter501 , Wolfebladeelite , Azdranax , ACCG , warcry02 , tragic_slip , asceveris , Poptartz95 , voidruby , Nemesis , cryptoplasm , darthnuchi , rebelteddybear , ironax , Dimarx , DruneGrey , MagnaAura , Justinaut|
|Want (9)||Mj3913 , ryuzaki32667 , goodair , meecht , Ariumlegion , xpsychovampx , FoamEagle , mentor6 , Azdranax|
Winter Orb Discussion
5 hours ago
Whenever I play a mono-coloured deck, I include Duplicant for that Iona player.
I also used Leyline of Anticipation to flash in my weenies at the end of my last opponent's turn, so they can immediately swing. Comes in handy with Master of Waves and Crystal Shard (but I was also running a few ninjas, so the shard was amazing).
Commander / EDH
SCORE: 2 | 2 COMMENTS | 55 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
5 hours ago
This looks fun! I've considered building a Traxos deck since he was spoiled :)
I run a (Boros) Voltron list that you might get some equipment suggestions from (Judgment Day: Avacyn the Purifier EDH | *PRIMER*), but my first suggestions would be upgrading the equipment list as much as possible. Unblockability is a big deal for this deck, so Trailblazer's Boots and Prowler's Helm would be some of my first suggestions. Beyond that, Grappling Hook is another way to give double strike along with a creature kill to boot, and O-Naginata is a cheap and efficient way to pump power even further (almost into 2-hit range). Hammer of Nazahn gives protection and auto-equips.
Paradox Engine would be fantastic here, as an additional way to untap Traxos and as a fantastic ramp engine. You might also benefit from some stax engines (Tangle Wire, Winter Orb, Static Orb, Sphere of Resistance...) to lock down others' boards while you go to town with Traxos.
I hope this helps! :)
2 days ago
After talking with some other people currently considering the following changes:
Losing the second Mox and Jitte will hurt, but Time Walk just feels better in an Aggro deck, and works better with Cascade than another Mox or Jitte.
3 days ago
In MT:G we use "hypergeometric calculation" to figure out our probability of drawing certain cards, or in this case types of cards. I was too lazy to work it out by hand so I used an online calculator.
The cards we are concerned with are: Null Rod, Sphere of Resistance, Tangle Wire, Thorn of Amethyst, Trinisphere, Winter Orb, and Root Maze. I left out Manglehorn as a stax piece because Yissan the wanderer bard is our commander and can fetch him on verse 3. So 7 stax pieces, with no easy ways to tutor for them in a 99 card deck. What's the chance that we draw any one of them naturally in a 7 card hand?
The calculator says 33.53%. I'm not great at math, but I'll make a few assumptions. You will draw one of the 7 stax pieces in your opening hand in a third of your games. In commander we get to mulligan once for free, so the odds are even better. And with successive mulligans, as is suggested when playing cEDH, digging for a stax piece makes your chance of success even higher. You can use the calculator to figure out your chance of success on successive turns, in case you don't get what you need in an opening hand.
In my opinion, this totally justifies the inclusion of 7 stax pieces in the deck in a competitive environment!
3 days ago
- Thank you very much for the great compliment! This deck is my pride and joy and I try to work hard on it so its very nice to have that work recognized.
- Thank you for the compliment! It is surprising how broken a single color deck with a vanilla creature as its Commander can be. Regarding umbras, I would love to add more of them to the deck but their CMC is usually too high for the utility. If WOTC prints cheap umbras in new sets they will likely find their way into the deck.
- Great name and thanks for the love! Despite its restrictive nature, O-Naginata has been a powerhouse in this deck. I greatly enjoy Loxodon Warhammer but its equip cost is just too expensive!
- Another great name! While Gauntlet of Power does help our opponent I find the cheaper CMC is better unless our opponent is running a white weenies deck. Daily Regimen was actually in early versions of this deck until it got streamlined and better cards were printed. Getting to pump with leftover mana each turn is a great effect!
- I am not sure what you mean by "hard counters" but we have protection against counters with Cavern of Souls and a counter of our own. Its not much but our best strategy is to race in those kind of matches.
- I have not heard about that errata but I believe it to be true. Maybe that is why the Winter Orb was banned in 1v1 MTGO Commander ;)
- Early version of this deck did run Eldrazi Conscription as well as Enduring Ideal to tutor it up and attach it for only seven mana. While it resulted in some truly epic wins with an, often, Eldrazi Angel Hound it was dropped when the deck was streamlined. I miss those days sometimes.
- Thanks for the compliment! I will take a look at your deck and let you know my thoughts.
5hadao on GOT GREEN?
5 days ago
Made a quick change up...
Oh what have I done???hahahaha
6 days ago
I'M curious if you've had an opportunity to playtest this deck? and how your play-group responds to it. In my experience cards like Stasis, Static Orb, Back to Basics, and Winter Orb are usually considered to be un-fun, and can result in a play-group not want to play with someone that plays those cards.
However I've heard of some groups that don't mind. Just curious. I wouldn't play them if it were me though.
6 days ago
Damnation, while it is a nice card, is almost never helpful. I can usually get to Ensnaring Bridge with no cards in time to render it, for all intents and purposes, useless. And Mesmeric Orb sort of has the same win more quality. This deck is only a mill deck in that it kills your opponents by having them draw to death, but getting cards into graveyards is only really my goal if they deal me damage or destroy my artifacts or something. Pithing Needle basically takes out any usage I have of Torpor Orb and Orb of Dreams hurts me too much. Winter Orb isn't modern legal.