|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Herald of War
Creature — Angel
FlyingWhen Herald of War attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.Angel spells and Human spells you cast cost 1 less for each +1/+1 counter on Herald of War.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (15)||mziter501 , Supremespeed , rakdos24 , pskinn01 , , Swamy , bakeraj4 , Xue-Kaihua , EliGjerdingen , LoneCrusader399 , Dr_Jay , joshw335 , Venser_the_Sojoner , CampbellStev , Unlife|
Herald of War Discussion
1 day ago
PhotogenicParasympathetic mmm well I have had a mardu Angel deck in the past. Are you only looking for mono white ones? I believe I have most of the good ones except linvala, so like Tariel, Gisela, Aurelia, the other flip avacyn etc. The only two im interested in keeping are the Angel of hope and tithes really, here is a list:
Gisela, the Broken Blade, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Archangel Avacyn, Restoration Angel, Aurelia, the Warleader, Admonition Angel, Bruna, the Fading Light, Herald of War(foil), Akroma, Angel of Fury, Serra Avenger, Radiant, Archangel, Emeria Angel, Tariel, Reckoner of Souls(comm, FTV, oversized versions), Anya, Merciless Angel, Angel of Despair, Exquisite Archangel, Reya Dawnbringer, and like 10 others under a dollar.
1 week ago
Cards I think are very good in this deck:
Blade of Selves, Sunbird's Invocation, Nahiri, the Harbinger - These synergize with your game plan of casting a bunch of big Angels and beating down with them. They're also just individually powerful cards.
Cards I would heavily consider cutting:
- Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit - While the deck has a lot of nontoken creatures, most of the counters will end up on utility creatures, not Angels, and you don't have any synergy with +1/+1 counters.
- Blaze Commando - You have 5 total sorcery spells that deal damage, and all but Disaster Radius and Meteor Blast kill all your Elementals (and probably the Commando). It just isn't a fit for this deck.
- Firemane Angel - This card is just a lot of mana for an underwhelming creature. It's recursive, but you already have Defy Death and Gift of Immortality to recur creatures, and you're running so many big creatures that it's not a huge concern.
- Firemane Avenger - I'm not super sure on this one (it might be alright), but it feels very low-impact, and if you can attack with three creatures safely, you're probably in a position where you don't need a free Lightning Helix. This is probably one of the last cuts to make.
- Flamewright - This card just isn't doing anything this deck wants.
- Fumiko the Lowblood - Maybe I'm wrong, but this just doesn't seem like an effect this deck needs, especially after cutting the Humans side of the deck.
- Glory-Bound Initiate - Again, just too low-impact for Commander.
- Goldnight Castigator - I misremembered this one - it's not as good as I thought it was. Probably too low-impact, and dangerous (it puts a big target on your head when you take double damage).
- Hanweir Lancer - Do you really need first strike when all your creatures are probably better than anything your opponents will likely have? It beats deathtouch, but so does indestructible, and that also protects the creature from removal. We can do better.
- Hero of Oxid Ridge - Are 1-power creatures blocking Angels that often? Probably not. Without that relevant clause, this is a 4/2 with battle cry - not very relevant for a big creature deck. And it's not on theme.
- Iroas's Champion - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Jareth, Leonine Titan - This card is okay, but we can probably fill this slot with a better creature for the deck. One of the last cuts, most likely.
- Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer - This effect is powerful, but we aren't heavy on artifacts, so metalcraft is unreliable, and we aren't a deck that can make the best use out of it.
- Odric, Lunarch Marshal - We can get something very similar with Angelic Skirmisher, which is an Angel and does something on an empty board.
- Shepherd of the Lost - See Glory-Bound Initiate.
- Skyknight Legionnaire - See you-know-what.
- Sun Titan - This guy is awesome, but he's not likely to bring back much of value in a deck filled to the brim with big Angels.
- Thalia, Heretic Cathar - Is this an effect this deck really wants? If it is, Blind Obedience is an enchantment that hits artifacts instead of nonbasics, and also extorts (It is legal in this deck).
- Truefire Paladin See...yawn
- Victory's Herald - We're an ANGEL deck! We don't need to give our creatures FLYING! In all seriousness, this is very redundant with a deck made up of 30% fliers, 30% support spells, and 40% mana.
- Deathrender - This card is just kinda expensive and difficult to use, and it only lets us cheat out Angels we can just cast anyway.
- Banishing Light - This is a small upgrade, but Grasp of Fate is probably just better.
- Citadel Siege - This card draws a bunch of hate, but isn't so impactful it wins us the game (like Sunbird's Invocation). We can do much better.
- Curse of the Nightly Hunt - Like Fumiko the Lowblood, I'm not convinced we want this effect.
- Faith's Fetters - I'd rather run something more like Banishing Light as enchantment-based removal, because it deals with static abilities like, for example, Angel of Invention.
- Battle Hymn - This card is both really awkward (makes red mana when most of our expensive stuff is white) and not actually going to produce much mana outside of a token deck. We really don't need an effect like this one.
- Martial Glory - Our creatures are already big, so do we really need a combat trick to make them good? I don't think so.
- Ancient Amphitheater - We aren't running Giant tribal, so this is just a worse Wind-Scarred Crag 95% of the time. I'd rather run a basic, or a Reliquary Tower or something.
- Evolving Wilds, Terramorphic Expanse, Vivid Crag, Vivid Meadow - We're a 2-color deck - we really don't need to run what amount to tapped basics most of the time.
Cards I'm unsure about:
- The token cards: Adriana, Captain of the Guard, Sunhome Guildmage, Assemble the Legion, Cathars' Crusade - These cards are all great (and gave me an idea for a deck to build) but I don't think they're a fit for this deck. Either expand on the token plan, or cut these.
- Emancipation Angel - I don't think we need this? If it had flash, I'm all for it, but as it is I don't think we want to bounce our expensive creatures.
- Thalia's Lancers - I don't think we have enough legendary permanents that this is worth playing. If you end up adding more, then go for it.
- Meteor Blast - We're running white - we can get less expensive one-sided boardwipes, I feel.
- Nevermore - If we end up running ways to tutor up enchantments, this is a great silver bullet answer to almost anything, but even in that case, I think Gideon's Intervention is better most of the time. Maybe you run both?
Cards I recommend:
- "Voltron" cards - Since Anya can easily become indestructible and is already evasive, she's a good candidate for winning with commander damage. Loxodon Warhammer is already in the deck, as is Lightning Greaves, so we've got a head start. Some cards I'd recommend are:
- Swiftfoot Boots - Basically Lightning Greaves, but you can target the creature. If you intend to pile a bunch of equipment on Anya this is probably a better option.
- Grappling Hook - Gives Anya double strike, as well as helping you get rid of problem creatures (Remember Anya has flying, so a nonflier can't block her).
- Argentum Armor - Much like the Hook, this makes Anya a serious threat while helping deal with problematic permanents.
- Assault Suit - Get Anya attacking on everyone else's turns, too!
- Champion's Helm - Protects Anya while also making her big.
- Godsend - A bit pricy, but discourages opponents from attacking into or blocking Anya, and a combo with Grappling Hook
- Inquisitor's Flail - Anya's indestructible, so this card's downside is completely meaningless.
- Pariah's Shield - When equipped to Anya, this basically makes you invincible.
- Puresteel Paladin - If you go hard on the Equipment theme, this guy will put in work. Probably not the best if you stick with Angels, though.
- Stoneforge Masterwork - This one should be obvious.
- Steelshaper's Gift - Again, if you go deep with Equipment, consider this.
- Sword of the Animist - Ramp sword? Ramp sword.
- Sword of Vengeance - Give Anya every keyword ever printed on a creature. And +2/+0!
- Worldslayer - This one is just to silly to not bring up.
- Herald's Horn - Makes your Angels cheaper, and helps you draw them.
- Door of Destinies - This should be fairly obvious.
- Kindred Charge - This card will win you games, I guarantee it. Especially with stuff like Angel of Serenity.
- Vanquisher's Banner - Similar to Herald's Horn. Makes your Angels big instead of cheap.
- Angel of Sanctions - Banishing Light on a stick? That you can use twice? Seems good.
- Angel of the Dire Hour - Get 'em! Just don't play this on your combat phase.
- Angelic Skirmisher - Give your team some nice abilities, and on an Angel to boot!
- Archangel of Tithes - Makes life hard for token decks and discourages attacks.
- Aurelia, the Warleader - How are you not already running this? Well, whatever, I won't judge.
- Basandra, Battle Seraph - Prevents opponents getting tricky in combat, and helps deal with problematic utility creatures that are otherwise hard to get rid of.
- Exquisite Archangel - Saves you from death once, which damn well better be enough.
- Karmic Guide - Recurs your big threats which would otherwise rot in your graveyard forever.
- Linvala, Keeper of Silence - A hefty price tag, but an upgrade to think about. Completely shuts down powerful utility creatures and mana dorks (it doesn't care whether the ability is a mana ability).
- Platinum Angel - You literally can't lose. The purpose is obvious, although the target on your head is just as visible.
- Reya Dawnbringer - Basically a repeated Karmic Guide - who wouldn't love to make their Angels unkillable?
- Twilight Shepherd - Having this card sitting on the battlefield makes nobody want to boardwipe, since you just get all your creatures back anyway.
- Avacyn, Angel of Hope - Expensive, but well worth the price - it's really hard to deal with an indestructible field of anything, let alone big fliers.
- Hour of Devastation - Three mana boardwipes are quite strong, and this card almost always costs three mana in Commander. This one even hits artifacts, enchantments, and planeswalkers!
- Boros Charm - A versatile spell that can save you from a boardwipe, make an Angel a major threat, or just burn someone out of the game, if need be.
- Master Warcraft - Completely blowing out two opponents seems well worth four mana to me! If need be, it can even just be a Fog.
- Wear / Tear - Versatile artifact and enchantment removal.
- Return to Dust - Just like Wear / Tear. I put this one in basically every white deck I make.
- Swords to Plowshares - Spot removal that deals with just about any creature.
- Grand Abolisher - We wouldn't want any pesky blue mages countering our Angels, would we? Also has the upside of preventing combat trickery on your turn.
On the manabase:
I like that you put in so many mana rocks and lands (a lot of first-time deck builders might skimp in this regard) but the colors are a bit strange. You have more red sources than white, despite the fact you have more white cards than red. I would cut a few Mountains and replace them with Plains.
Obviously you can't run all of these recommendations, but pick the ones you like the best to fill the empty slots. Overall, I quite like the premise of the deck, but it could use a lot of polish.
1 week ago
I really like the deck I would only want to change Avacyn, Guardian Angel with Archangel of Thune. Maybe even look in to Herald of War would just help out getting Angels and Humas on the the battlefield. I'll try and think of some more stuff.
3 weeks ago
This deck lacks focus. It looks a bit like an Avacyn-wipe/Angel-tribe deck, to which you have added a whole host of cards that imho prevent you from executing a predictable, repeatable, solid game-plan. If this is not what you want, all power to you. However, if this is what you do want, I think you would have to make at least some of the improvements I am about to suggest:
A typical commander deck contains at least 36 lands and between 8-10 mana rock/ramp cards, depending on the color(s) that are being played. Especially when you want to cast big creatures like Angels, this becomes pretty important. Aside from adding some land, I would recommend some artifact mana rocks like Sol Ring (which is the most included card in EDH/Commander of all time), Mind Stone, Worn Powerstone and/or Thran Dynamo. As you are using snow-covered plains, you could also consider adding Extraplanar Lens; that way you can profit from double-mana, while opponents using normal plains cannot. There are also some great ramping creatures for mono-white decks, like Knight of the White Orchid, Oreskos Explorer and if you want to throw some money around, Weathered Wayfarer.
There are a few fantastic creatures available that synergize really well with an Avacyn-wipe/Angel tribe deck. Herald of War has the potential to make casting your Angels, including Avacyn, much cheaper. Sunblast Angel provides you with a one-sided wipe, making it unnecessary for Avacyn to be under your control and still be wiping the place effectively :) Admonition Angel is a great point-remover, and a powerful Angel to boot! Angel of Jubilation is fantastic at restricting the power of many decks; especially those who rely on infinite combo's through sacrifice. Angel of Finality is fantastic if you do not just want to wipe your opponents' stuff, but exile it too. Last but not least, Platinum Angel can be a lot of fun; especially when you have Avacyn on the battlefield to protect her from harm. And since you seem to like cards that grant protection, how about Mother of Runes and Eight-and-a-Half-Tails? I think they are a lot more versatile than the protection cards you have included now.
Some really great wipes/wipe-enablers that do not just target creatures (like the Akroma's Vengeance you already have included), could be Nevinyrral's Disk and Worldslayer. Also, since you are playing mono-white, Mass Calcify could be really useful. If you want to wipe creatures, but Avacyn is not available yet, some great options to protect your own stuff are Rootborn Defenses and Make a Stand.
Last but not least, I would like to propose some all-purpose cards. First of which are Lightning Greaves and Swiftfoot Boots. Avacyn, though indestructible, is not impervious to harm. These will ensure that removing her will prove much more difficult. A great way to slow your opponents down is by letting his/her artifacts and/or creatures enter the battlefield tapped. Authority of the Consuls and Blind Obedience are awesome, cheap ways to make this happen. Also, you could consider adding tax cards to make your opponents pay for attacking you. Ghostly Prison, Sphere of Safety and/or Norn's Annex could fulfill those needs. As white is terrible at allowing you to draw more per turn, I would also suggest maybe adding artifacts like Mask of Memory, Staff of Nin or even Mind's Eye.
Ok, that's it for the additions I would suggest. If you want, I can also dedicate a post on what I would cut in order to make room for the above. Let me know.
4 weeks ago
Angel of the Dire Hour vs go-wide, Angelic Overseer cuz it's big, and Herald of War cuz really!? You don't have that!? Also, how about a more fun name? 'Sigarda, Host of Humans', 'Angels and Humans and Spirits, OH MY!', 'They're in the Air, They're on the Ground' something along those lines.
1 month ago
So, let's work on making this deck a bit better. Don't get me wrong, this deck is good, but there are a couple of things that we can swap to make it better. Some of these you may not agree with. But consider the ideas behind the recommendations.
For the mana base, look at Temple of Triumph, Battlefield Forge, Ancient Amphitheater, Needle Spires, Wind-Scarred Crag, Vivid Meadow, Vivid Crag, Boros Guildgate, Opal Palace and Command Tower. I think you should get a many lands that tap for both colors into the deck as you can afford. Secluded Steppe and Reliquary Tower should probably come out to make room for better lands. Plateau and Rugged Prairie are just too expensive to really recommend.
Replace Armillary Sphere with a Burnished Hart which has a better synergy in the deck. A 2/2 attacker or blocker that can be equipped and can be recurrred with Sun Titan seems really good.
Ride Down just seems like a crappy spot removal card. If you need more removal, consider a good old Wrath of God, Blasphemous Act, the new Star of Extinction as a board wipes.
Vessel of Endless Rest should be swapped with a Boros Signet. The Boros Signet hits a turn earlier, allows you to convert colorless mana from the Ghost Quarter, Reliquary Tower, Rogue's Passage, Seraph Sanctuary, Slayers' Stronghold, and the Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion. If you want to keep the Vessel of Endless Rest, then I would still recommend adding the Boros Signet anyway.
Akroma, Angel of Fury has always been a weak version of Akroma, Angel of Wrath and I've never really felt that it was that good a card. Her 'can't be countered' is nice but the morph ability seems tacked on just to fit the Time Spiral block's mechanic themes and not to make the card better.
Mikaeus, the Lunarch is ok, but you really aren't utilizing a +1/+1 counter theme in this deck and he feels a little slow. The X casting cost makes him more situational.
Tajic, Blade of the Legion is an underwhelming 2/2 for 4 mana. Yes, the indestructible is nice, but I've never really been in a situation where I was happy to draw that card. I just feel that there are better creatures.
Combat Celebrant is stuck with the horrible Exert mechanic. Why would I ever swing out and leave myself stuck not being able to untap my lands the next turn? Too risky. Especially in a multi-player environment. Just bad, cut it. World at War, Waves of Aggression, Scourge of the Throne, and Aggravated Assault would be much better options for multiple combat phases.
I know I previously recommended the Ranger of Eos but I don't think this deck is going for quick creatures. This deck is more about dropping bombs and making people deal with your threats. So the Ranger of Eos, Mikaeus, the Lunarch may not really fit this theme as well as other cards. After looking over the deck some more and looking at some of the options below, we may have to cut the Whitemane Lion and the Flametongue Kavu to make some room.
True Conviction, is a 'wins more' card. The card is strong, but only helps in a few situations. Let look at three different situations to see how interacts with the board state.
1: You have 4 or 5 creatures in play and you are attacking each turn. You are applying a significant ammount of combat damage to your opponents. You have a good chance of winning the game in the next couple of turns, depending on blockers. Does a True Conviction help in this situation? Not really. Can you win without it? Why cast it?
2: You have 4 or 5 creatures on the field, and a True Conviction. Someone board wipes with a Final Judgement. The next turn you get a creature on the field. The True Conviction gives your dude life link and double strike. This time it will help you stay in the game a bit longer and rebuild faster.
3: You have 4 or 5 creatures on the field. Someone board wipes with a Final Judgement. This time, instead of drawing a blocker, you top deck the True Conviction. Is this what you need now? No. You need boots on the ground, a blocker.
What do you think? And, before you ask, yes, I'll be reconsidering this card in my Brion Stoutarm deck.
Alright. Now that we've looked at things to cut, lets look at some options.
Angrath's Marauders would act as an additional Gisela, Blade of Goldnight. Firebrand Archer and Harsh Mentor are good ways to ping each opponent. Archetype of Aggression, Archetype of Courage, Odric, Lunarch Marshal could be really broken and dramtically alter combat. Homura, Human Ascendant works well with Brion Stoutarm and Gideon's Avenger could be outrageous. Kumano, Master Yamabushi has never let me down. Aegis of the Gods and Magus of the Moat provide some defensive options. The Defy Death and Herald of War you already have to provide you with a lot of resiliency and flexibilty with the addition of a Angel of Glory's Rise. Vanquisher's Banner would be really go in this deck naming either 'Human' or 'Angel'.
And thanks to all of the work I've put in on making suggestions to your deck, I've got to go back and update my Brion Stoutarm deck. So check back on that deck in a week or so. As always, temper these suggestions with your budget, collection, and play style. Feel free to let me know what you think of these recommendations.
1 month ago
I don't think chat works on my account for some reason. But anyways,
So my Bishop of Rebirth Promo foil for your Overseer of the Damned, Herald of War, and Guardian of the Gateless? If you'd want to throw in your Bogardan Hellkite too that would be sweet, but no big deal if not :)
Neither of us are upgraded so we can't initiate an official trade. Do you have an email I could get so we can exchange addresses?
1 month ago
Hi, the Bishop of Rebirth I have is the promo art, and is foil. I think it's valued at around $5. If that seems fair, maybe we could trade a few cards, mainly Overseer of the Damned, Herald of War, and Guardian of the Gateless.
If you're looking for the cheaper, non-foil version, I completely understand. :)