|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
T: Add 1 to your mana pool.
1: Mutavault becomes a 2/2 creature with all creature types until end of turn. It's still a land.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (11)||Mousemke , ibraJG84 , PhyrexianScience , perrin515 , Skulldrey , Swamy , Nemesis , warcry02 , tragic_slip , mentor6 , Dawnsly|
|Want (4)||TheRealPeaches , Dadaman11 , Chandelier , GeminiSpartanX|
1 hour ago
if you're going to use Earth Surge, i would recommend using Treetop Village, Spawning Pool, and/or Hissing Quagmire. other options could be Mutavault or Blinkmoth Nexus or Inkmoth Nexus, but i think the colored ones would prove to be more useful. especially the quagmire.
1 day ago
1) Run more than 16 lands. Not even Merfolk can properly function on 16 lands. And don't just use basics. Oboro, Palace in the Clouds, Mutavault, and Cavern of Souls fit great in a Merfolk build, and Wanderwine Hub, in addition to entering untapped for two colors, can reveal a threat from your hand that your opponent may need to play around.
3) Don't play black in a Merfolk build. If you're absolutely set on using another color, I personally would recommend white for Path to Exile, Mana Tithe, and Brave the Elements. White would also get the most value out of Wanderwine Hub. But, if you insist on using black, the spells you've chosen aren't going to cut it in modern. Dead Weight won't kill Tarmogoyfs, Hero's Downfall is way too expensive, and Appetite for Brains misses 99% of the relevant threats. In modern, the magic number is 3. That's where most of the curves top out. Thus, Appetite misses everything at or below the magic number. Personally, if I had to use black in a Merfolk build, I'd be running Dismember, Inquisition of Kozilek, maybe a couple Thoughtseize, and Fatal Push. I'd also run one or two Gut Shots for insurance, but that's just me. Of course, this all assumes that you play another color in your deck. If it were me, I'd stay mono-blue.
4) Aether Vial. Perfect card for this deck. Put it on two and keep pumping out creatures.
5) Merfolk Sovereign doesn't do enough work in this deck. It's 3 mana for the same effect as the two-mana lords (Master of the Pearl Trident and Lord of Atlantis), and its second ability is useless. Run Master of Waves or Harbinger of the Tides instead.
6) Cursecatcher. This is your one-drop. It kicks ass in this format.
7) I'd suggest maybe running some amount of Vapor Snags mainboard. It's really effective.
8) Hurkyl's Recall is a great sideboard option against Affinity. Ghost Quarter and Tectonic Edge shut down Tron. Gut Shot is great against a lot of faster decks. Tidebinder Mage is great against Burn and anything with Tarmogoyf. Spell Pierce for removal-heavy decks and Relic of Progenitus hoses graveyard shenanigans. Ceremonious Rejection for Tron and Affinity. Unsubstantiate and Flashfreeze if the matchup demands it. Unified Will, Echoing Truth, and Sea's Claim are all viable sideboard options as well.
9) I'd suggest you consult my list as well as the MTGSalvation primer for Merfolk
2 days ago
Murderous Cut has been performing exceptionally well. There are certainly games when I open with Cut and no fetches, but even then, given the number of instants and sorceries that are meant to interact early, Cut is always online by t3. Victim of Night, despite its near unconditionality, critically misses Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet, Gurmag Angler and Olivia Voldaren (funnily enough, Mutavault as well). That it can't be taken by Inquisition of Kozilek has been relevant, and furthermore, the immense tempo advantage generated by playing a threat/Arena/discard spell t2/t3 and then following it up with a 1 mana cut is simply too high to ignore.
3 days ago
Since you're adding a Cavern of Souls then you should consider dropping a Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx. In a deck with 22 lands, I wouldn't run more than 3 colorless lands. Sure Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx can be good on occasion but it's the weakest of your utility lands. Mutavault has synergy with Gravecrawler and your lords, Cavern of Souls still provides colored mana but Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx can't do anything without an already established board state.
I would also immediately go up to 4 Fatal Push. It's just too good of a card not to be running 4. I would drop 1x Diregraf Colossus and 1x Cryptbreaker for it. Diregraf Colossus is good but because of the point it comes into play you really only need 3. Cryptbreaker in my experience is less than stellar and would be an easy cut.
I may be missing something (am I?) but I see no value in running Nameless Inversion. It could be good vs Merfolk I guess but due to the anti synergy you can't use it to pump your own creatures which leaves a less than desirable Ulcerate. I would replace it with a 1-2 Bile Blight or a Go for the Throat.
In order to make this as competitive as possible you really need to ditch the deck extensions on the SB.
Army of the Damned may fit the Zombie theme nice but I can't think of a single match that siding in an 8 mana card is going to help you out?
Mikaeus, the Unhallowed may be good vs Alley's or White Weenies but both of those decks are Aggro decks and will close the game out way before a 22 land deck reaches 6 mana.
Endless Ranks of the Dead this is the definition of a win more card. It's useless when you're loosing and if it's good you're already winning. The 1 MB copy is fine for flavor but siding it in isn't going turn the tides of any match up.
Sidisi, Undead Vizier Tutors can be good but this is just too slow and comes with a significant down side. You've already decided it's not good enough for the MB and it's just wasting space on the SB.
5 days ago
5 days ago
6 days ago
So I took the time to playtest your Sliver deck against mine in 3 games. In Game 1, I went 2-1, The first match, my land base allowed me to get more out before your land base was fully able to come online. The second match, I mulled to 4, but you CoCo'd into a bunch of Lords swinging for lethal. The third match was a repeat of the first one. I was able to get on the board faster.
Game 2, I went 2-0. In match 1, I was able to shut down your Aether Vial with Harmonic Sliver and you just couldn't find enough mana sources to recover from the loss of the vial. Match 2, You were able to bring me to 6 life, but with an EOT CoCo, I revealed two lords, pumping my entire team and 2 Mutavaults into lethal damage range, dropping you 24 points in a single swing.
Game 3, I went 2-1 again. In match 1, you were able to generate a fast board presense than I was and took it. In match 2, with 2 lands, an Aether Vial, and a Manaweft Sliver, I was able to flood the board, while you got to 2 mana and got stuck there. In match 3, we both got online fast, but I hit an EOT CoCo, and then another at the beginning of combat, which flooded the board and let me swing in massively.
Overall, I think your biggest weakness is your land base. I realize that the land base is the one of the biggest cost factors for this deck. I would also recommend that you consider going to 4 on both of the Sliver Lords you are running, and maybe consider the third sliver lord, Sedge Sliver as well, or maybe Metallic Mimic (a slightly more cost efficient route).
I didn't test sideboards, but I'm sure that the results wouldn't have varied too much with them. Overall, I think your deck is definitely an original take on this tribal theme, but I think an update mana base would put it over the top.
1 week ago
I would reconsider your manabase. Mutavault can be great, but you are so devotion heavy it could really hinder you casting your spells. And Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx definitely enables the big mana, but I don't see where you're making use of that at all. I would either cut them, or include some spells that thrive on big mana (Consume Spirit, Mind Shatter, etc)
Other than that, I'd want more removal. I've had good results with Funeral Charm, as it can do double duty. Gatekeeper of Malakir seems great, especially given the Panharmonicon synergy.