|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Amonkhet (AKH)||Mythic Rare|
|SDCC Promo 2017 (S17)||None|
|Promo Set (000)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
- Would Glorious End make me lose the game if i have a Gideon of the Trials emblem?
- Will the second Approach of the Second Sun do nothing, with my opponent's Gideon of the Trials ultimate?
- Helm of the Host + Gideon of the Trials?
- Does card:Dauntless Bodyguard help a card:Gideon of the Trials?
- Helm of The Host with Emblems?
Gideon of the Trials
Planeswalker — Gideon
+1: Until your next turn, prevent all damage target permanent would deal.
0: Until end of turn, Gideon of the Trials becomes a 4/4 Human Soldier creature that's indestructible and is still a planeswalker. Prevent all damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
0: You get an emblem with "As long as you control a Gideon planeswalker, you can't lose the game and your opponents can't win the game."
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (30)||ThatJaceWannabe , Ellyreia , tangrams , Atroxreaper , AlertKnave8075 , Vergil_Redgrail , Lucan2000 , Espi14 , Ferritt , sneferie , Vasbear1 , Dredgar , retropman , BillyBalverine , damo_rox , jhunter , jstn.mrrtt , duff87 , Jauntu , admizell , CaitSeith , AllDayTayTay , Stryfe_ , a_murpheus , Dimarx , brokendwarf , TheRealSpecialK , mymanpotsandpans , electrolynx , Suns_Champion|
|Want (32)||DimSpirit , davir , dthoreson813 , KB2187 , darthnuchi , Bish0p , Prodigalpyro , Monduck , CoyotePhantom , Spinalripper , ryuzaki32667 , buildingadeck , CarlyRaeJepsenMTG , chrishuffman95 , mordredaggrfall , Calanor , PRO-AUGMANDOO , Melmo , kcpetersen , waterfow1 , Kamotz , Zeldark , sixpistol , d3nnisV , xmrjava , KalebBro , Exo-TheGamingCuber , jhunter , TheAnnihilator , SirFowler , Kogan1911 , Sivart|
Gideon of the Trials Discussion
1 week ago
Yeti_Confetti while I do really like the emblem on Gideon of the Trials, I don't really see room for any more in the maindeck. I have been considering adding another Gideon Jura to the sideboard though. Thanks for the comment and the upvote!
1 week ago
I would recommend upping the amount of Gideon Planeswalkers cards if you really want to utilize Gideon of the Trials’s emblem. Having other Gideon cards can make for some decent beaters while you can’t lose.
Just my thoughts. It looks neat! +1
1 week ago
So heres my evaluation of the colors:
- has the best card value, from Dark Confidant, Liliana of the Veil, Thoughtseize, Gurmag Angler, Death's Shadow to stuff like Ad Nauseam - but if you takd a step back and pretend that you forgot the decks that are built to abuse these cards, all of them habe some significant drawbacks. They are often the best core cards but need support to be viable. Black is also the second best color for hate cards.
- best hate cards. Rest in Peace, Stony Silence, Rule of Law... etc. Its also the king of "symmetrical" (and crippling) effects and exile - exiling creatures is VERY underutilized at the moment, just consider what Declaration in Stone does to hollow one...
- is the color of counters, stupid stuff with spells (Snapcaster Mage, Gifts Ungiven... etc.) and nearly great cards, like Vapor Snag, Reality Shift, As Foretold, Disrupting Shoal, Delver of Secrets Flip and the list goes on. Its also USED TO BE the undisputed king of card filtering and card advantage but that got banned (Ponder, Brainstorm, Treasure Cruise) we have Search for Azcanta Flip, Serum Visions - the draw package is much more intact than filtering (sadly it was weaker to begin with). Problem is that red is arguably better at filtering with its loot effects - scry is good for miracles if its preceeded by a draw, while looting supports any strategy that is willing to get its hands dirty with using the grave (lets hope surveil makes blue better). (And black has plenty of good draw engines.) So its basically counters + stupid support cards for instants & sorceries.
- is a pretty good color that is pretty nice all around, but gets little to no credit as burn is an easy cop out answer wjen asked "what does red do?". Yeah it has reach, but it also has Blood Moon, Koth of the Hammer, Faithless Looting, Through the Breach all great quality cards that need no introduction. And it has some of the best 4 & 5 drops (Hazoret the Fervent, Stormbreath Dragon) - which are great in the push + bolt meta (and not that bad when you got the help of path to be able to play them early), and the vest 1drops - yes Goblin Guide is not bad - but its no Grim Lavamancer. Oh and it has all the mana acceleration you may want - Vessel of Volatility & Infernal Plunge are absurdly underappreciated cards - the former is basically a fixed Seething Song that can't be abused by storm, the latter is frickin Dark Ritual if you have cheap creatures in your deck - which is an achievable goal (not for storm though, apparently Wotc hates storm).P.s.:if you have run the old squee, all the loot effects becom card advantage engines.
During my recent excursions into mono red hollow one land, i relized that there are stupidly powerful lands like Nephalia Academy or Scavenger Grounds that simply don't fit into 3 color decks. Am i the only person who sees these cards a very good reason to not get greedy with color splashing?
1 week ago
When did Gideon of the Trials become black?
(Imho black simply must have a second color for support to be viable. Sure it got some beaters with delve but they aintg gonna be on the field before turn6+ without the help of red or blue cards)
2 weeks ago
Hey Silverdrake thanks for the suggestions! The reason why I'm playing Gideon, Ally of Zendikar over Gideon of the Trials is due to my local meta being filled with other control and midrange decks. Aggro isn't common where I play and AoZ is a much better threat and can help stabilize better against the decks I commonly face. I'd highly recommend testing out AoZ if you never have, personally I believe he's underplayed in Modern.
I've played a lot of Search for Azcanta Flip in the past, but I actually think it is somewhat poorly positioned at the moment. Again, this also involves how my local meta is, but I'd rather have Ancestral Vision against the other control decks and all of the discard decks I face. SfA just eats a Field of Ruin against other control decks, and more people are switching over to control at my lgs.
2 weeks ago
Whilst Gideon of the Trials could work Phyrexian Unlife is almost always simply better. To better understand we need to consider the conditions under which we play Phyrexian Unlife which is often the turn before or a couple turns before we combo off. It is important to consider that unlike Angel's Grace, when we cast Phyrexian Unlife we more than likely are not winning that turn and when thinking of replacing it we need to consider that fact. The main problem I see with using Gideon of the Trials is the fact that he can be killed by our opponent preventing us from winning if they time it right. They can Lightning Bolt him quite simply or just attack him, and considering we need the emblem to do anything he will only ever be at 3 loyalty. Phyrexian Unlife on the other hand for our deck basically says "gain 10 life and 1-3 turns" as well as being harder to remove and requiring our opponent to play enchantment hate. So to answer your question, yes Gideon of the Trials can work, however in 99% of situations Phyrexian Unlife is just safer and better for this deck as we don't win the turn it comes down.
2 weeks ago
2 weeks ago
Beautiful, every bit of it. Consider Gideon of the Trials instead of your current Gideon - kicks ass against burn and aggressive creature decks which will generally be some of the matchups you struggle more against. He still protects himself and applies only slightly less pressure a whole turn earlier.
I'd also recommend at least considering shifting 1x Jace for 1x Teferi. I'm just as much a fan of Mind Sculptor as the next control fanatic, but in the current meta he just doesn't do what he needs to.
Stepping away from planeswalkers for a second, you may want to consider 1-2 Search for Azcanta Flip. I can't overstate the power of the incremental advantage.
Of course, these are just my opinions from one control player to another. Whatever you decide to do, good luck and have fun!