|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|Zendikar Expeditions (EXP)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
, Pay 1 life, Sacrifice Arid Mesa: Search your library for a Mountain or Plains card and put it onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Arid Mesa Discussion
2 weeks ago
I like it a lot, however would totally run Solemnity for the combo with Decree of Silence, also, consider Trinket Mage over Treasure Mage, and all of the fetchlands like Windswept Heath, Misty Rainforest, Arid Mesa, Scalding Tarn, Marsh Flats and Polluted Delta, they are legal even with color identity.
2 weeks ago
A few thoughts ...
- If you're going non-budget, you might consider running Snow-Covered Mountains instead. Folks will likely misplay against you, thinking you're on Skred or Dragon Skred. Plus, you could run Scrying Sheets.
- I only goldfished the deck a couple times but you might consider adding 2-3x Lands. With an average CMC (as I type this) of 2.62, 24 is optimal (source: the table at the bottom of this article by Hall of Famer Frank Karsten). And sure you've got the SSGs, but mana dorks only count for around 1/2 of a Land, and the SSGs don't stick around. So maybe 1/4-1/3 of a Land each? But you're also running Boom // Bust, which will often (though of course, not always) set you back one.
Some meta considerations ...
- Seems like Combo (e.g., Storm, KCI) would be very tough, since the deck is super-grindy and they don't need many Lands to go off. If it becomes a problem, maybe some Damping Sphere?
- Graveyard decks (e.g., Bridgevine, Dredge) could be very tough as well, since the deck throws a bunch of the opponent's cards in the 'yard. If that's an issue, maybe some Grafdigger's Cage, to go along with the Relics?
- Infect seems like it's be brutal. Maybe some Sudden Shock, if that becomes a problem.
Another option to consider is running this as RW. As hungry000 mentioned, some Arid Mesa would make Boom // Bust better. Plus you'd have access to Rest in Peace and other powerful White sideboard cards ...
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
2 weeks ago
- Flooded Strand
- Polluted Delta
- Bloodstained Mire
- Wooded Foothills
- Windswepth Heath
- Arid Mesa
- Scalding Tarn
- Misty Rainforest
- Marsh Flats
- Verdant Catacombs
3 weeks ago
Thanks for the suggestions! I already have Harrow in the deck and I was trying to go for more of a budget option on lands but Shocks would be the first thing to go in to the deck and I just have a thing of only using fetchlands that match the decks colors so I wouldn't use a Arid Mesa in a Jund based deck, it's just a me thing I guess.
3 weeks ago
Also to use Hermit Druid, you must not have any basic lands in your library, even the snow-lands. I'd drop them along with Cabal Coffers for Gemstone Mine, Scalding Tarn, Misty Rainforest, Arid Mesa, Forbidden Orchard, and Marsh Flats
4 weeks ago
1 month ago
I've invested in Commander staples so I have the fetchlands, revised duals and shocklands, if you have them what should be swapped out?
- Temple of Epiphany --> Volcanic Island
- Sulfur Falls --> Steam Vents
- Shivan Reef --> Scalding Tarn
- Mountain --> Arid Mesa
- Island --> Bloodstained Mire
- Mountain --> Flooded Strand
- Island --> Misty Rainforest
- Mountain --> Polluted Delta
- Island --> Wooded Foothills
- Mountain --> Izzet Boilerworks
- Island --> Vesuva
- Mountain --> Reflecting Pool
Or do you think that's too many fetchlands, too few basics?
1 month ago
Hey there. Thank you for the comment on my Aminatou deck, Dare to Believe, Dare to Become.
I am going to make this comment mostly centered on your land base. Even in a deck where the curve caps at 5 (not even peaks, caps!), and even with rocks (and free ones at that), 32 lands is far too few to reliably get your land drops where it matters. Now, I’d suggest that maybe this is offset by the filtering power of this deck but I don’t exactly 100% trust in that principle when things cost mana in the first place.
Don’t get me wrong; the deck is pretty sound regarding it’s contents and the quality of said contents. However, you need potatoes to go with that meat.
The 3-tax Rishadan is honestly a win-more card if you have your engine going well enough already, and tbh the 1-tax one won’t do enough lategame. I’d swap them out for 2 lands that produce blue. Not sure how effective Cephalid Coliseum is for you but that’s probably a solid maybe. That and a Moonring Island may suffice to that end.
Anyway another consideration to take into account is that you (presently) have too many blue costs in your spells, and not enough mana sources to offset the ratio to a good degree. If you look at my deck (admittedly too budget for say an Underground Sea or even an Arid Mesa), you’ll see that everything is aligned in that color ratio pie chart that TappedOut has available. Yours has an over abundance of blue costs, or an under-abundance, so to speak, of blue mana sources. That’s mainly why I suggested those two lands above, at the cost of two blue-costing spells. It might not completely even it out, but it’s a start and I really would suggest investigating that a bit further. :)