As Vesuva enters the battlefield, you may choose a land in play. If you do, Vesuva enters the battlefield tapped as a copy of the chosen land.
|Have (2)||metalmagic , Forkbeard|
|Want (4)||Umbravocare , Aaryanna , bluejay134 , bfischer|
Printings View all
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
|Time Spiral (TSP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Vesuva occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.05%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.03%
3 days ago
Great questions! It took me quite some time to understand all the nuances of it as well. Let's answer your questions:
1. Does it work like that? You are almost correct :). To make it work, you would need to be at 7 lands actually. Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle reads "if you control at least 5 other mountains", so you need 5 mountains for it to work on the sixth mountain you play. If you have multiple mountains enter the battlefield with Scapeshift (and with them counted you have 6 or more) then it works as you describe: they all enter at the same time, so they all see each other as they enter and they all trigger. So in combination with Scapeshift, you need to have at least 7 lands. You can sac all 7, get Valakut and 6 lands with the mountain type, and boom: you deal 6x3=18 damage. If you already had Valakut in play you will now want to be at 8 lands: sac all but Valakut, get Vesuva + six mountains. Now you deal 12x3=36 damage as Vesuva will enter as a copy of Valakut. That copy ability happens without the stack, before the valakut triggers are put on the stack (unfortunately Vesuva cannot come into play as a copy of another land you got with Scapeshift).
2. What would I cut? I think Mina and Denn is not required for your build. I run Mina and Denn myself as the commander and I love the card, but I suspect you will not be returning lands to your hand that often in this list (you are not running the broken ones that combo with M&D, which are Gaea's Cradle, Glacial Chasm and Mosswort Bridge). That could be a way to make room for Dryad. For lands I would surely cut Reliquary Tower as it is a nice-to-have card, not a necessary one (I think I only run it in Multani, Maro-Sorcerer where it actually helps me win. For most other decks I think it is overrated. Discarding back to 7 doesn't feel nice, but it will probably never make you lose). You can also experiment with cutting a few basics, but I'm not familiar with the desired basic lands statistics in Omnath builds.
Hope this answers your questions :).
3 days ago
- Valakut alone with your ramp is already a potent board control piece in a landslot. It should not be hard to get to 5 mountains reliably when you have valakut out. Adding Cinder Glade, Sheltered Thicket and Stomping Ground will help to fix your mana and still have a lot of mountains.
- Witch Scapeshift, you can search for Valakut and a bunch of mountains and get triggers for all mountains entering. That interaction alone would justify an include of valakut imo, as it turns scapeshift into a one-sided board wipe when required. But there is way more fun stuff to cover ;).
- You can copy Valakut with Vesuva or Thespian's Stage to enhance the damage (valakut is not legendary).
- If you already had Valakut in play when casting Scapeshift, there is a cool rules interaction with Vesuva. Searching Vesuva + a bunch of mountains with scapeshift means Vesuva enters as a copy of Valakut before the triggers of both valakuts go to the stack, doubling the damage of your scapeshift-board-wipe. Now we are getting into player-KO-territory
- You are already running Fiery Emancipation, which obviously works wonders with valakut.
- You can also consider Dryad of the Ilysian Grove so all your lands trigger your valakuts.
I think this set of cards matches your deck title quite well :). Hope it fits your vision for the deck!
2 weeks ago
Thanks Sylvanrush, absolutely liking the look of Garruk's Uprising. Let's face it, all of of my creatures are coming in at 4+ power and the few non- creatures I'm running don't hit the 3+ power needed for Elemental Bond anyway. Cantrips, adds trample, it's going to be strictly better in here, great call.
I've debated Thespian's Stage &/or Vesuva for the CC copy, but like you say, I'm not sure if the need outweighs the win-more factor. Will probably stick with my current mix of utility + colour fixing.
1 month ago
1 month ago
1 month ago
Howdy, I've been playing my version of the angry boi, OMNATH CRUEL GRUUL, for about two years now and I do have some suggestions.
First off, why no Sol Ring? It's very easy to slot in and you'll gain more explosive starts with it in your opening hand.
Second, have you tested your list with other Landfall creatures? I have had a lot of success running Rampaging Baloths and Nesting Dragon in my version. And Tireless Tracker has won me games before with the card draw.
Fourth, as a back-up damage dealer, Stalking Vengeance has also won me games out of nowhere by massively multiplying damage output.
There are other things but those are forefront at my mind.
2 months ago
Cool general! You might like these: Stone-Seeder Hierophant, Sporemound, Animist's Awakening, Kamahl's Druidic Vow, Genesis Wave, Hour of Promise, Pir's Whim, Reap and Sow, Crop Rotation, Expedition Map, Vesuva, Gruul Turf, Bag of Holding, Creeping Renaissance, Nature's Revolt, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove (this guy is extra good with Valakut!)
2 months ago
This is an interaction between replacement effects. Normally, you (the controller of the thing that's happening) gets to choose which effects apply in what order, but this interaction is a little different.
The replacement effect on Vesuva is a self-replacement effect, so it is applied first. This alters how it would enter the battlefield to be a tapped copy of the Sanctuary. The replacement effect on the Sanctuary say that it enters tapped unless you have three or more island. Since you have four islands, we ignore that effect. Note, that does not mean that it is allowing it to enter untapped. Rather, it is not affecting how it enters. Since the Vesuva ability is unaltered, we now have the same effect that we started with, a tapped copy of the Sanctuary.
Hope this helps!