|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Duel Decks: Blessed vs. Cursed (DDQ)||Common|
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Common|
Combos Browse all
When Seraph Sanctuary enters the battlefield, you gain 1 life.
Whenever an Angel enters the battlefield under your control, you gain 1 life.
: Add to your mana pool.
Seraph Sanctuary Discussion
1 month ago
1 month ago
The Angel Deck
Planeswalker (2) 2x Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Land (20) 8x Mountain 8x Plains 4x Seraph Sanctuary
Artifact (2) 2x Pearl Medallion
It still needs some trimming and refinement
2 months ago
I have not found Seraph Sanctuary to be worth it, particularly not when you're running so many Forests. Razorverge Thicket and Windswept Heath are excellent in my experience. You may also consider running Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx , but you do have some non-white devotion, so it may not be worth it.
I had a similar deck for a good while you can check out if you're interested: Noble Angels.
2 months ago
Ok quick update, it didn't take me long to realize that the Resplendent Angel doesn't bring much to the game plan.
So I'm reverting to something more control. Changes:
3x Resplendent Angel -> out
1x Lyra Dawnbringer out of 2 -> a 4th Thalia's Lancers . It's been quite some time now that I'm often wishing to draw my tutors more. I also learned today that since Ixalan, all planeswalkers are now legendary and do not work with the "planeswalker's uniqueness" rule like they used to. So this means I can tutor my Gideons with the Lancers! Yay! So more Lancers. And I'm cutting a Lyra because I don't need her so much given that I have fewer angels overall, and if I really need one Lyra on board I still have 5 ways to get her in the deck.
1x Gideon Jura in. Because the planeswalkers are not unique anymore, this means I can have different Gideons on board as long as they have a different name. And given that I can tutor them, I'm just bringing a 1-of Gideon Jura for some more control over my opponent's board. But to be fair I'm not sure it will work really well with the Archangel of Tithes , I'm hesitating between him and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar . We'll see how he performs...
a 4th Runed Halo in. This card is too good, provides big amounts of devotion early on that is a pain for my opponent to remove, forces them to flood the board with even more creatures only to get sweeped... It's really good, there are tons of games where drawing it is critical, and they are almost 0 game where I can't benefit from it.
a 4th Wrath of God in. Now that I have fewer creatures on board, an additional sweeper is a great addition to the deck. I won't need the Seraph Sanctuary as much now that I have fewer angels, so I can reach the 7th Plains more often, which makes Wrath more interesting too. Not too sure on this one, let's see how it goes
Overall I kinda feel like I'm taking a step back and reverting to some older version of this deck (and Drcfan's version), but well if it's better I don't see a reason not to stay with it ^^
2 months ago
Things I'm currently testing right now :
- Is a 4th Archangel of Tithes viable? Or is it too much? My local meta is quite aggro like I said so keep in mind that this matters too.
- Runed Halo . Should I put 2? 3? 4? Learning to play with it and learning the threats to target. So far I really like it!
- I'm currently playing with 23 lands (coming from 24 lands for more than a year), with the Weathered Wayfarer and Nykthos it's working really well, but when I can't draw a Wayfarer in my opening 8 cards it's sometimes hard reaching the 4-5mana needed for me to survive the fastest matches. But before that I kept drawing too many lands too often to my taste...
- Resplendent Angel . Alright this one I'm the least sure about. On the one hand it's a 3/3 with fly and 2W devotion for 3mana, and I really like the pressure it puts on some decks when you can pull the combo with Lyra and Seraph Sanctuary (which given the redundancy of the deck happens more often than you would think), and it is great to put all my wasted mana in late game. But on the other hand, it just dies to bolt, doesn't provide control like an Archangel of Tithes would. It also goes a bit against the Wrath of God (which I wouldn't mind putting a 4th of), and makes games faster which removes a bit the purpose of Emeria . I'm not sure that given the overall rhythm of the deck it isn't either a bit useless or a winmore... I will have to test this more in depth.
If you have any idea of 2-3cmc control permanents I could try to use instead of the Resplendent Angels I welcome every suggestion! I used to play Oblivion Ring , and it kinda worked so maybe I could try that but it also did feel a bit clunky, so looking for anything that you could think of!
3 months ago
I'd take Journey to Nowhere over Pacifism , there are a lot of creatures who hurt you just by being on the battlefield without attacking or blocking anyone. Luminarch Ascension seems like a card that's good in multiplayer where you have a lot of opponents' end phases for it to trigger in and a propensity for stale mates, so if you're playing that way a lot it's a good card. In normal matchups, though, I don't see it doing much for you. Instead of Ghostly Prison , I'd bring in Archangel of Tithes , she's a bit more expensive for you and not as expensive for your opponent, but she's more versatile and comes with a 3/5 body which can really do wonders.
Darksteel Citadel doesn't seem to do a whole lot of good for you, and the occasional life-gain from Seraph Sanctuary is really also something you need to have a payoff for for it to be worth it. Maybe just get some extra plains, or you could get Eiganjo Castle or Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers . You also seem to have rather more forests than I'd really recommend, but good dual lands are expensive, so I get you :) If you can afford them, I recommend Temple Garden , Horizon Canopy , Windswept Heath , Razorverge Thicket and Wooded Bastion .
Shaman of Forgotten Ways seems way too expensive, I'd get Birds of Paradise or more Noble Hierarch s if you can afford it, otherwise Avacyn's Pilgrim , Beastcaller Savant or Bloom Tender can do good work too. I'm also not sure what Kytheon's Irregulars ' role in your deck is, again let me recommend Archangel of Tithes , or alternatively Angel of Jubilation , Shalai, Voice of Plenty , or Indomitable Archangel or Gisela, the Broken Blade . Baneslayer Angel is a fine card, but unless you're facing demons and dragons regularly, Lyra Dawnbringer is probably better. Her ability to be a lord for other angels is really nice.
Iona, Shield of Emeria and Avacyn, Angel of Hope are super powerful bombs, but I'm not sure you have enough ramp to play them consistently. Of course, you know your local meta better than I do, so you be the judge of that yourself :) I'd recommend thinking about dropping them, though.
And last, a shameless plug. I've been playing with an angel deck of my own at my local FNM and been doing OK, it's been mono-white, white-green-red and is now just white-green. You can check the latest iteration here if you're looking for a somewhat different take on this whole business: Noble Angels
3 months ago
hmm a list with the rarely remembered 3x copies combo of Fiend Hunter and/or Restoration Angel, (fiend hunter holds down either another hunter or an angel, then an angel or hunter hits that hunter for the loop), you could put any soul sister or other etb matters abilities to abuse it. (or Seraph Sanctuary)
if you run some colorless utility lands, (Field of Ruin and Ghost Quarter are popular to fight tron, which looks to be a really tough matchup for this deck) Moorland Haunt is probably the most budget I can think of, you can run Eldrazi Displacer over the navigator which is massively cheaper on a mana base (I also suggest cutting the leviathans for the same reason, in any modern game vs any quarter decent deck the leviathan is never getting cast without you already having won the game) and is a lot less restrictive in which target you can flicker with it (you can even use it defensively).
Oh Guildmages' Forum could be perfect for a colorless land with colored mana option with a utility (that is budget). Also Irrigated Farmland is dirt cheap dual land option as well that can even interact with sun titan I would suggest using those over the tapped dual lands (still weird cove is common and river was uncommon in that commander set...) you add dimes to the budget for more effective lands.
hmm now that I look at it you could probably cut blue all together Militia Bugler and Blade Splicer are both fairly good creatures and you could just increase the count of the various white creatures, Thraben Inspector is also a rather good 1 drop. I think Kitchen Finks got a massive price drop (UMA reprint), Gideon's Lawkeeper is also very similar functioning to a bounce creature, Mangara of Corondor is also rather good with flicker effects.
I should stop now... mostly skimming around death and taxes atm anyway now that I think about it.
4 months ago
- A few options I'd recommend for this would be:
- Rune-Tail, Kitsune Ascendant I run this as my commander for mono-white angels, as it provides an excellent damage buffer for you early on.
- Serra's Guardian Gives the field Vigilance. What's wrong with that?
- Concerted Effort + Pristine Angel Did anyone say buff spreading?
- Victory's Herald Field Lifelink when attacking is hard to deny, especially with Angelic Guardian
- 4x Seraph Sanctuary is a solid source of life gain, ESPECIALLY with Luminarch Ascension, which becomes hilarious with Archangel of Thune
- Urza's Ruinous Blast might be an okay panic button to side board.
- Helm of the Host Do I need to explain the power here?
- (unordered list wasn't working if the first line didn't have it too)
Seraph Sanctuary occurrence in decks from the last year
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%