|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander 2016 (C16)||Rare|
|Modern Event Deck (MD1)||Rare|
|From the Vault: Realms (V12)||Mythic Rare|
Combos Browse all
Hideaway (This land enters the battlefield tapped. When it does, look at the top four cards of your library, exile one face down, then put the rest on the bottom of your library.)
: Add to your mana pool.
, : You may play the exiled card without paying its mana cost if you attacked with three or more creatures this turn.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (26)||Vasbear1 , Jauntu , EdenGardenz , tragic_slip , BlueMageBrandon , TehDelta , frederiklw , MagnaAura , jhunter , Justinaut , kpral , Metaphisyk , bakunet , , AlucardZain , gosora , brentkc49 , Shiromakuro , rikertchu , mziter501 , Swamy , Pumpkinking913 , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , mazrimtaim , Cazaz0816 , Fullmetalmage|
|Want (18)||BringerOfStorms , zgriffin1989 , eastly , JadfihfTheMerc , Metra , XVicarious , loganbowers , choss_monkey , Djricci97 , xXThormentXx , HehaGardenHoe , Maliande , Feyd-Rautha , RazortoothMtg , Stryfe_ , eleventhend , Loading_Error , Uncommon_Courtesy|
Windbrisk Heights Discussion
1 week ago
@ForTheOldFrame: Thanks for your upvote and your detailed comment and sorry for posting so late. I was busy the last days and didn't find the time to reply.
I will try to answer to all your suggestion but I myself aren't an expert in EDH too. So maybe I am wrong with some choices and many cards depend on teh playgroup you are playing:
- Mentor of the Meek: Is already on my maybe list and goes in the deck as soon as I can get it.
- Concerted Effort: Is already on my maybe list and goes in the deck as soon as I can get it. But I will probably not build the deck around it. So Lost Auramancers, Plea for Guidance and Windbrisk Heights are out. Especially Windbrisk Heights as my rebels normally only attack once with three creatures or more.
- Land drops are an issue so Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers are great choice and I will try them out.
- Temple of the False God: I tend to have it on my starting hand nearly every time I play it in a deck. So I am not a big fan of this card. But with Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers it is maybe worth a try.
- Sword of the Animist: Mostly I need my rebels to control the table and don't have a chance to attack the first rounds.
- Rebels mitigate the lack of good carddraw in white by tutoring for your creatures. Normally I tend to keep 4-6 cards in my hand and use my mana to tutor for rebels or recast Lin Sivvi, Defiant Hero so I don't need Jayemdae Tome, Armistice or Slate of Ancestry. Especially the later I think is not a good option with rebels. If you have enough rebels on the field you normally search for Mirror Entity and attack with your army.
- Light of Day synergices very well with Scuttlemutt and Distorting Lens so I will try it out.
- Cataclysm: Great suggestion and I will try to get one ;-)
- Fated Retribution is not the only instant wrath in white. There is also Rout. And I think if I add Cataclysm I am fine with wrath effects.
- Catastrophe and Armageddon are good option, but as I mostly play casual I leave them out.
- Cessation is better than Pacifism but at the moment Pacifism is only a placeholder and will get out of the deck. Presumable for an other suggestion form you.
- My playgroup mostly plays with older cards and so we decided to ban all planeswalkers. So Elspeth Tirel and Gideon of the Trials are out for me.
- Angel's Trumpet is a good card but not in my build, I think it is possibly in rebels but you have to build the deck differently.
- The runes cycle: Great suggestion. As rebels have already good answers against red and black I will try to find room for the three other runes.
- Icatian Store: I don't like the old storage land and I think that Fountain of Cho is strictly better. But normally I need my mana every turn and not a lot of mana in one turn. The only exception is Mirror Entity so I think I don't need it. But maybe I will try it out some day.
- Kongming, "Sleeping Dragon": For mone white Benalish Marshal is better and I will get one for this deck.
- Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite is great but to expensive (money) for me.
- Pariah and Pariah's Shield: I think you are right and the runes are better suited for the deck.
So thanks again for your comment and now I have the problem to find cards to take out for your suggestions ;-)
2 weeks ago
Upvoted and saving for future reference; I'm debating building something similar myself at some point. Rebels strike me as an archetype that's strong to the point of being dishonorable -- even today when a 4/4 for 4 is a little expensive.
If it weren't for Lin-Sivvi, I'd suggest going WB for black's excellent card draw, and access to Deathtouch and a few black rebels; but I think Lin-Sivvi is stronger than the entire color black, in this deck.
Understand that I know very little about EDH -- I've only played a few games, and never won any -- but I've been reading up and gathering advice; hopefully what follows will be worth it.
Thoughts, from how I understand EDH so far:
- Rebels are playing a long game by definition; use land fixing to match. Journeyer's Kite and Thawing Glaciers can thin out the deck as well as Green can. Land Tax might also be worth it, but definitely keep your Tithe.
- Run Concerted Effort (tutor it out with Lost Auramancers, Plea for Guidance, or Windbrisk Heights), and tutor out Rebels with abilities you want to share. It looks like you're running most of them already -- I'm especially happy to see Thermal Glider and Rappelling Scouts.
- Mana ramp? I've heard it says that whoever gets the most mana tends to win an EDH game, and I can particularly believe it for this deck. Temple of the False God is reliable, especially with the tutoring solutions I mentioned. Sword of the Animist would also work.
- Card draw: use Mentor of the Meek, Slate of Ancestry, maybe Jayemdae Tome and Armistice.
- Light of Day if your play group will tolerate it.
Breaking off here, since there's only so many cards you can propose in one comment. Will resume in a moment.
1 month ago
Another beautiful creation, Ben!
Seems like Windbrisk Heights would be a fun include with your Fatesticher/Deserted Temple-style shenanigans. Fits your combat-centric strategy pretty well, and it's plenty mysterious, flavor-wise!
1 month ago
Spawning Pit is a bit clunky/slow. Given that you already have a sufficient number of sac outlets already there are definitely some more efficient cards to run (some of which have already been listed above).
You also have a lot of cards to take advantage of token creatures but not a lot of cards to generate creature tokens. Fungal Sprouting, Increasing Devotion, Saproling Migration, Rhys the Redeemed, Geist-Honored Monk, Hanweir Militia Captain Flip, Mycoloth, Noosegraf Mob, Tendershoot Dryad, and Twilight Drover are some solid options in addition to what has already been suggested above.
Also, if going the token creature route, there isnt a better board wipe than Hour of Reckoning
Ghave was my first commander deck and is still one of my favorites. Always enjoy seeing other peoples take on him.
1 month ago
Played at Mothership
2-1 vs Burn 1-2 vs Merfolk 2-1 vs Ponza
Definitely took the three drop and land advice to heart Played a instant speed Angel of Invention off Windbrisk Heights vs ponza which was nice Also cracked Blighted Steppe for 10 against burn for all the lolz
2 months ago
Warrior Creatures to Consider:
Devoted Crop-Mate like a weird Alesha
Hidden Dragonslayer decent removal
Ironclad Slayer if you are playing a lot of equipments
Malakir Cullblade gets bigger
Champion of the Flame if you go super heavy on the equipment
Garna, the Bloodflame save the creatures from a boardwipe? Not sure how it will do in action
Kazuul, Tyrant of the Cliffs pillowfort and some bodies
Taurean Mauler -technically a warrior
Burnished Hart ramp and can be brought back by Alesha
Gisela, Blade of Goldnight -got reprinted in Master 25 so its cheaper and will get reprinted again in Commander anthology II but that one will be foil so not sure if that will affect price
Grenzo, Havoc Raiser goad is amazing and his second ability is nice if you have mana to spend
Equipment to Consider:
Sunforger one of the best equipments in these colors, fetch your removal
Kusari-Gama mini boardwipe if they block
Artifacts to Consider:
- Gilded Lotus just got reprinted so its cheaper now
- Fellwar Stone our play group usually has your colors
- Oketra's Monument cast a warrior, get a warrior
- Throne of the God-Pharaoh
- Mardu Ascendancy
- Dictate of the Twin Gods you have both gods in deck, so why not?
- Berserkers' Onslaught
- Gift of Immortality
- Behind the Scenes since some of your creatures have low-ish power, although might such with all the anthem effects you have
- Pain Magnification just a fun card
- Kindred Boon
- Chandra's Ignition -really great boardwipe for this deck, if zurgo has lifelink you will get that life and also anything that dies will give him counters. You could have zurgo, cast this, and then more than likely one shot a player
- Read the Bones
- Open the Armory
- Disrupt Decorum tapped out won't link this for some reason
Instants: (sticking with four or less Cmc for sunforger shenanigans)
- Rogue's Passage
- Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
- Unclaimed Territory
- Path of Ancestry kinda pricey now tho
Mardu is great for control, so its best to have plenty of removal spells. I would not have Spinerock Knoll since it might be too slow. Windbrisk Heights might be better than Spinerock tho. Like what if you need to play that spell but can't get 7 damage off. Also, Graveblade Marauder seems too situational to leave an impact. When you start adding/removal stuff to the deck, make sure to keep it low cmc as you can since you don't have much in terms of ramp in these colors; be sure to keep as mana rocks as you can for the same reason.
4 months ago
Weirdly I have been playing mono-white soldiers against much more competitive decks, and the key I originally thought was the synergy of Preeminent Captain and Captain of the Watch, and swinging as fast as possible.
I used creatures like Brimaz, King of Oreskos and Field Marshal, along with Dryad Militants and Soldier of the Pantheon for added bonus. The issue was that Captain of the Watch was a dead card, so I added Windbrisk Heights in the deck, but the deck was too cluttered and failed.
I built a tempo deck requiring hard mulligans, using a 1-2-3 play set up that was simple.
Turn One: Plains, (Whatever, a Soldier of the Pantheon, I don't care)
Turn Two: Plains, Lightning Greaves
This deck was the best I could get with that synergy, it was consistent enough and it killed about as well as I could get, but it still had a 38% win rate against top tier modern decks, and that was on average, some decks I couldn't ever beat, others couldn't really beat me. It wasn't great, nor was it fun.
I thought about my strategy more, and decided to drop the idea that I have to win in that method, look at How an Army Wins! for my thought process, just ran two Captain of the Watch, and played aggro to win. It worked for a while, getting closer to 40%, which might not sound like a lot better, but it felt better, since I was much more interactive, I had to respond to the board state, not just hope my pieces aligned.
I ended up stumbling upon Thalia's Lieutenant and Champion of the Parish, thought, meh, Preeminent Captain, Dryad Militant, Raise the Alarm all don't get benefits, but then looked at all of the things it did get, and thought about their power level, I tested a version of the deck based around them, Human Soldiers and was like... dang.
The deck performed great in play testing. Tested it in person, and got closer to a 45% win-rate, not great, but for mono-white soldiers to go nearly toe to toe against Death's Shadow Aggro, Zoo, Jeskai Control, and Tron, I felt good.
I went more into the aggro human tribal versions, around the time Five color humans became a deck, where I wasn't thinking colors were the issue, but mana in a different sense, I built my best version of mono-white soldier tribal, which wasn't even soldier tribal, nor human-soldier tribal, it was human-soldier-ally. Human Ally Soldier Tribal?
This was fun, but I was like... four tribes? I mean warriors have Mardu Woe-Reaper and Dragon Hunter... No. People told me I needed to stop, before I went human-soldier-ally-warrior-kithin-kor-shapeshifter-angel-dragon-demon tribal.
I finalized the deck, I was done (up to now at least). I went as far as I could go combo (Captain of the Watch), then tribal, and finally, aggro. Mana Curve White is the best I have. I can't do better now.
4 months ago
Not sold on 4
4 tap lands with a ton of 1 drops.
Yeah you might hit 1 of your 5 expensive cards but most likely you'll be paying 1 to cast a one drop.
And being an aggro deck, why risk the tap?
Mistveil Plains is better anyway to recycle your hawks.
You only need one if you run Flagstones.
If you dump the Westvale Abby for a Ghost Quarter