|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs. Eldrazi (DDP)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Choose two —
- Target player gains 7 life.
- Put target noncreature permanent on top of its owner's library.
- Target player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
- Search your library for a creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Primal Command Discussion
1 week ago
looks solid! Tireless Tracker and Avenger of Zendikar so explosive!
but mainly Rampaging Baloths
3 weeks ago
@Osbert Thank You very much for Your deep study on my deck. Here are my anwsers:
- I've been using Crystal Shard, Erratic Portal some time ago and I wasn't happy with that. Just imagine that You cascade in one of these instead of some big nasty creature - impact on the board is too small. I don't need cut cost of casting Commander thanks to many ramp cards, also if Maelstrom Wanderer is still on the board then it's time to cast creatures from hand, they will have haste so impact is good enough (in other circumstances creature cards left at hand would be dead cards because most of time You cast Commander only).
- About making top deck stronger there are two things that prevent me from putting cards You listed (well, there is third reason - I don't have most of these:) ). First is that I really like randomness of cascades (it's still limited by card selection). Second is just the same like with bouncing cards - cascading into them will make one cast of commander weaker. Still there is Sensei's Divining Top for top decking, which is also a lifesaver when You need next land drop and I won't cut it out.
- I run Lurking Predators only - because that card doesn't need mana to activate (most of times Commander eat almost all of mana) and it's working just fine without any help. Sometimes it's better to leave land on top deck (if more mana is needed for next cast from command zone), sometimes You are already overextended and expect wrath effect spell from others.
- Well Oath of Druids is tempting because it could make early game more than just ramping. Still these creatures won't have haste (and my ETB effects won't change much) and opponents can also use Oath's effect to put creatures from their decks making more blockers, ramp or even combo. I need to see that card in action because now I can't predict if it will make advantage or disadvantage.
- There isn't too much standard spot removal besides of Beast Within (already is in deck) and Pongify which is very cheap (only one blue mana). Also there are some kind of removals: Inferno Titan, Phyrexian Ingester, Terastodon, Tyrant's Familiar, Primal Command, Warstorm Surge (plus creatures entering board). If that's not enough AOE cards will try to compensate. I will keep in mind Krosan Grip and Reality Shift (didn't know second card, it's really nice when facing indestructible creatures)). But Wave of Vitriol can hit me also and probably will wait long on hand. Song of the Dryads still can be removed and threat would return.
- From these Mystic Confluence and Cryptic Command most valuable are abilities that make Commander and creatures more evasive (this deck doesn't need more card draw) and of course occasional counterspelling. But, so far, evasion from creatures, lands and some spot or AOE removals were just enough to deal damage (especially overloaded Cyclonic Rift).
- Already got Mystical Tutor in this deck. And yes - it's great. It can go for Tooth and Nail or Cyclonic Rift, even when facing mana screw I sometimes use it for ramp spell. Worldly Tutor could make more control over deck (or top decking) but still I prefer to cast Commander than casting single creature and like that randomness.
- About strange cards in my deck: Burnished Hart well I could change it for something better - can You give me some ideas (especially cards that put 2 lands)? Ixidron - You don't have to cast card that fit cascade requirements (they can go to the bottom of library) so it won't hurt controlled creatures, also Commander comes into play AFTER cascades resolve (he is on the stack until then) so it will never hurt him. This card can hit very hard other commanders as they won't go to command zone. It's weakness is that it won't affect tokens but I take that risk. Curse of the Swine has exile effect (which is quite rare in RUG) and it can be single or multi target I keep it for that versality (even if it does not have synergy with Commander). Knowledge Exploitation is for 7 mana so it can be cascaded for free, also I have enough mana to cast it from hand. Best case scenario is when it hits with first cascade, then You can go for some funny card from opponent deck (some kind of wrath effect) and then cast creature from second cascade - it will result in clear board and then Maelstrom Wanderer and that other creature will come.
1 month ago
This is a great start. Here are some suggestions from a Trostani deck that I use, organized by pricing tiers to help keep this deck budget:
3/3 Tokens and another way to populate
Alternate Win Condition. Probably works better with Trostani as commander due to the increased life gain, but there's quite a bit of life gain in this deck regardless, so it may work.
Some token protection
Get a variety of tokens out quick
Advent of the Wurm
Just a decent token to populate later
Fog with populate. Optional, but not too bad
White Sun's Zenith
Utilize that mana and go wide
Speaking of going wide, mega populate
Just get some dudes on the board
Board wipe with a token upside
Go wide with a little extra damage, and still have some blockers left
Tamiyo's Journal A slow tutor, but might draw you some cards if you can't get to the tutor
$1 - $5
Potentially double your board, with 4/4 fliers!
Another mass token maker, but with 1/1 fliers (evasion is nice)
Alternate win condition. Probably better with Trostani as commander as you need to be able to absorb a loss of 50 life, but even in commander, most other people won't be able to say the same.
Win condition. With a wide board, +5/+5 is huge. Also creatures enter the battlefield with the +5/+5, so with Trostani out that's some good extra life gain.
Consistent way to get some decent tokens. Also protection from flying
Life gain, removal, mill protection, and tutor? This card just has value.
Again, designed for Trostani to double up on life gain, but helps with any ETB effects you have, of which there are a couple
Should be in any white token deck
Elspeth, Sun's Champion
Create creatures, get rid of big threats, maybe get your team in the air
Often a one-sided boardwipe, makes a ton ot tokens, and will sometime just win the game
Chord of Calling
Green tutor with convoke. You have a bunch of tokens, why not?
Green Sun's Zenith
Potentially reusable creature tutor. have to have the mana available, but it will find answers for you.
Not exactly budget, but valuable in a token deck
Artifact and Enchantment Tutor. Again, not really budget, but likely worth it in your deck
1 month ago
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, doesn't it? Some drafts of this deck before I put it up on this site did indeed have Mouth (along with other utility lands like Dark Depths or Mosswort Bridge) but what happened was that actually slowed the deck down enough that it wasn't really worth it. Depths, to go into more detail than I gave in another comment, still costs thirty mana, and while that's doable, there are a lot more powerful things you can do with this deck if you have thirty mana. I'm not even sure Scrying Sheets is worth it yet, and that's the whole reason the Forests are Snow-Covered to begin with.
More to the point, Mouth of Ronom has a few problems. It costs six total to activate (five plus tapping itself), which, pre-combo is all or almost all of your lands, and once you're well into your combo, there isn't a lot of hate that can stop you that would require creature removal. At least, I haven't seen very much in my meta. Maybe yours is different?
Another problem, and maybe this is a little obvious, is that it's not a Forest, which is important when you're working with Sasaya. It will always only provide a single mana, even as your mana gets exponentially large, which means it's likely to just sit in your hand until it needs used. If it's likely stuck in your hand all game, the only relevant text is its land typing, so why not just make it a basic?
I will admit the deck is answer-light. Primal Command is the only card I use as an answer regularly (a card that also functions as a tutor), and I've eschewed cards like Hurricane and Goblin Cannon, which are answers that can also function as win-conditions should you draw them. This can promote a sort of "head-down, solitaire" style of play that some people find distasteful but I kind of like every once in a while.
Good luck with your build if you do come back to this! Sasaya's definitely a lot of fun.
1 month ago
so i officially cut my mana doublers, and put in all my bouncers, i get hated out far less, and it's a lot easier to survive wipe, and spot removal now. Dust Elemental is totally my new favorite card, slightly less efficient than Temur, but WAAAAAAAY more flexible, i dodged sooo many removals in my games with it, and in times of desparation, when i have really nothing to work with DE + Wood Elves/Eternal Witness let me have a mana sink to somewhat advance my board state/protect my stuff, until i had enough lands to win on the spot with zacama.
how does Primal Command get Zacama back from thievery effects? bounce the enchantment? what happens when it's not an enchantment effect?
1 month ago
Mana doublers are always worth it. Even if you only get 1 turn out of them. Plus they are a big distraction from other things I'm doing. The main reason Primal Command is in the deck is because I play against a lot of blue control, and they bring a lot of Zacama hate and thievery. It's a versatile card that lets me regain control, if I wasn't able to sacrifice/bounce him in response to their move.
1 month ago
nice, i'm thinking of just taking out all of my doublers in my deck, except maybe Mana Reflection. in my play group mana doublers get hated out so much that's it's almost never worth the mana cost, what i cast for 5-7 mana gets easily killed/countered by much cheaper spells usually making them not worth it, i'd rather have cards that are lower threat, but sticks around for more value.
Tooth and Nail is a good tutor for sure. but Chord of Calling is just insane, you can cheat out all sorts of shenanigans with that card for cheap cast at instant speed. and i would say Green Sun's Zenith is also a strong contender, over Primal Command (unless money is an issue)
lastly, i was digging really deep in the mtg database last night for Zacama, i think i found my new favorite pet card for the deck Dust Elemental 4 mana cost, flash, and return 3 creatures including himself. lets you go infinite with zacama if you have 14+ land base mana, and even better if you run more ETB creatures like Eternal Witness, Wood Elves, Acidic Slime (just destroy everyone's lands if you can't win with damage). Or just even simple stuff like Impact Tremors can win with the recasting loop. But in case of board wipes you can just save 2 of your creatures for 4 mana, and for how ever much mana you have open you can repeat that.
2 months ago
hey guys, I have built a jund lands deck and it is preforming very well, but I have noticed that it struggles with keeping the life total up. I only have two cards that indirectly gain me life in it right now, Courser of Kruphix and Primal Command. The fetches and shocks in the deck are enough to deal a significant amount of damage by themselves, not to mention opponents, so I would really appreciate some suggestions for life gain. I am also looking for utility land suggestions I may have missed. Thanks everyone. Windgrace, Lord of Dirt