|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition||Rare|
|Duel Decks: Zendikar vs Eldrazi||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Choose two —
- Target player gains 7 life.
- Put target noncreature permanent on top of its owner's library.
- Target player shuffles his or her graveyard into his or her library.
- Search your library for a creature card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (24)||thetechzombie , Forkbeard , mcstang1986 , Mousemke , , rebelteddybear , ironax , Wolfebladeelite , GoldGhost012 , perrin515 , tragic_slip , Tiddilywinkus , ZombieFood , maR2307 , PTsmitty , rhinoloupe , MrCrazzyc , firemind12 , ibraJG84 , HR19 , DarkMagician , abby315 , failurechild88 , Big-Foot|
|Want (3)||Turtlelover73 , Bovine073 , ChessRuler|
Primal Command Discussion
3 days ago
Thanks for taking the time to ask questions! I'll get to your decklists within the next 12 hours, as I'm busy at this minute.
I put my answers in a spoiler block so they won't take up too much space on your profile ;)
My responses Show
- Primal Command is mostly good because it has a ton of utility. Of course, it has a harder casting cost, as it doesn't have convoke, or a lower mana cost, or have Pact's ability of making you pay next turn instead. I'm running it as a 1 of right now, and considering I only play it when I already have a ton of mana and am winning, I haven't seen any problems with it, besides taking up a space in my hand early on in the game.
- Essence Warden as a 1 helps you gain a ton of life. Yeah, burn can bolt it, but are they going to waste a burn spell on a 1/1 that gives your opponent life, or a game changing, powerful, Heritage Druid? Yeah, they definitely have more burn spells available, but if enough of them don't go to the face, they will have a hard time trying to kill you off using eidolons and small creatures. As a side note, you can use also use this as a way to gain back life you lose from running shocklands / fetchlands if you're the type that really cares about that, or if your matchup just requires you to not kill yourself, like going
- Joraga Warcaller is definitely something you can run as a 1 of, but I'd cut it as well. It's main power is in mono green, combat phase based elves. Even then, if you had the mana to cast a game ending warcaller, you should have had enough to cast another spell, like maybe even just casting a Craterhoof Behemoth. It has a nice interaction with Immaculate Magistrate, which isn't that fast, doesn't do well against sweepers.
Your deck is already good as is, but is Choke necessary in your sideboard? if you plan to use that against merfolk, that could work, but is there enough of that deck in your meta?
Life Goes On just seems really pointless, since you already run some artifact hate, adding a single copy of Kataki, War's Wage and Wilt-Leaf Liege can do well. you already have some artifact hate, but kataki being a creature allows you to hit him off coco and pact. Liege won't get hit by thoughtseize, and is something you could immediately drop down thanks to a Lotv, and also affects your green and/or white silver bullets. (Kitchen Finks would get +2/+2)
One thing- Pact is good, but you might want to use some Chord of Calling, because the target goes straight onto the battlefield. If you play against any control, its much easier protecting a single spell from chord of calling. It's much harder trying to protect both pact and your creature.
3 days ago
So the questions.
- How do you like Primal Command? To me it's always seemed a bit slow for modern, even if you can ramp it out.
- What's your opinion on Essence Warden? I don't play it because it seems to usually feel like a bad draw. Against burn I've found that they just bolt it, and 1 mana gain 3 isn't great.
- This one's about Joraga Warcaller. It always seems to be the first thing cut for me, because there are just better versions of it in Elvish Archdruid and Elvish Champion. I know you can kick it more times, but it doesn't give evasion, so it feels like a worse Ezuri, Renegade Leader.
Do you disagree with any/all, and if so, what have I not thought of?
1 week ago
Hi, Nature comes with Skullclamp add that back in place of Implement of Ferocity. Clamp can be busted with the tokens Freyalise's can continually create. Drawing two cards from one mana. Clamp is just a really good artifact with Elves in general. Nature also comes with Swiftfoot Boots add it back in place of something. Even though you can't use it to protect your Commander, she isn't a creature, you can use it to protect (hexproof) another Elf as well as give an Elf haste which is good with many Elves.
Some other budget cards including other Elves that I've found to be good with the Elves are:
- Fyndhorn Elves
- Arbor Elf
- Wirewood Symbiote
- Dwynen's Elite
- Temur Sabertooth
- Wild Pair
- Lifecrafter's Bestiary
- Shamanic Revelation
- Primal Command
- Sylvan Messenger
- Lead the Stampede
- Sword of the Paruns
These can have much more impact and replace cards of the same casting cost here. Cards like Primal Command, Lead the Stampede and Sylvan Messenger are important because of the budget. There's going to be a lack of good creature tutor cards because most are not budget options, they're price is too expensive. These cards can help to find a potential lot of Elves or creatures and put them into your hand.
More draw spells are another way to overcome the lack of creature tutors. Shamanic Revelation is another as well as better Collective Unconscious and Harmonize is just a good draw spell for budget green.
Sword of the Paruns is the budget infinite mana combo artifact for Elves. It in combination with Elvish Archdruid or Priest of Titania and other Elves in your control can be used to make infinite green mana which can then be used to play a lot of spells or activate Ezuri, Renegade Leader's overrun ability a lot of times.
I also recommend that you add 4-5x more Forests to the manabase, giving you 34-35x lands. The avg. CMC (converted mana cost) is 3.6 this is high for only using 30x lands.
Good luck with your deck.
1 week ago
Since you already have Primal Command, which can can put it back into your library, then search the library, maybe Holistic Wisdom to recur either Panglacial Wurm or the Command? Not quite what you were looking for, but the closest I could find.
1 week ago
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Thanks tons for the shout-out, and again, congrats on your performance at SCG Syracuse!
As always, you raise some REALLY good points. Tbh, I haven't really thought about the Lightning Bolt much ... it's been in the deck since almost the very beginning, and I'm always happy to see it, so I've never really thought about swapping it out for something else. But now that you mention it ...
For low-CMC spells, Atarka's Command comes immediately to mind as another super-versatile option, and Nourish as a great option for the lifegain. Moving up the curve, "pre-boarding" a Kitchen Finks could be really good. Or, like you mentioned, Obstinate Baloth or Thragtusk are awesome. And depending on the meta, Huntmaster of the Fells Flip or even another Primal Command aren't terrible options either.
And on the graveyard hate, I go back-and-forth on Cage vs. Relic vs. Scavenging Ooze vs. Surgical Extraction. There's a slightly-dated-but-still-useful discussion on Cage vs. Relic here.
To both of you: Draw well!
Mandalorian on Peas
2 weeks ago
Primal Command is also very good and can help find your big stuff
Mana sinks are great in decks like this that can create so much mana. Cards such as