|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Commander (2016 Edition)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition||Uncommon|
|Duel Decks: Venser vs. Koth||Common|
Combos Browse all
Azorius Chancery enters the battlefield tapped.
When Azorius Chancery enters the battlefield, return a land you control to its owner's hand.
: Add to your mana pool.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Azorius Chancery Discussion
2 days ago
Just some thoughts in case they help build off of what Immortalized said or provide any other useful things to look at:
There are a lot of other draw cards too that you might consider:
- Ambition's Cost / Ancient Craving / Read the Bones / Sign in Blood are decent cheap black draw spells that cost a little bit of life
- Phyrexian Arena
- Fact or Fiction
- Telling Time / Brainstorm / Ponder / Preordain / Foresee If you want some Scry/Shuffle/Deck Manipulation with your draw
And countless more. In a deck like this though there's a lot of value to be had in something like Phyrexian Arena since 1 life per upkeep is no biggie with Oloro around
Here's some other good removal to think about:
- Merciless Eviction and Austere Command can give you a lot of options
- Cyclonic Rift / Wash Out / Aether Gale can set an opponent back a lot. Cyclonic Rift for it's overload is the best!
- Curse of the Swine is always fun
- Supreme Verdict if you get overwhelmed or desperate. It's strictly better in my opinion that Wrath of God or Day of Judgment
- Toxic Deluge is another great creature removal if you have life to spare
Slow Down Taxes
Here are some cards that can really halt your opponent's aggression:
- Ghostly Prison / Propaganda / Sphere of Safety to make them pay to attack
- Rhystic Study to make them pay additional for each spell they cast (or let you draw)
- Imposing Sovereign
- Fog Bank / Guard Gomazoa / Wall of Frost Fun cheap defenders that can stick around or eat removal
Some other creatures worth mentioning that tax an opponent's life:
- Fate Unraveler Damage on draw. Can be great for forcing end of game on an opponent's draw step if you get your combos set and can't push it over the edge (unlikley). At any rate he can be pesky.
- Blood Artist / Blood Seeker / Cliffhaven Vampire / Deathgreeter / Falkenrath Noble / Suture Priest / Zulaport Cutthroat All sorts of interactions and costs associated with creatures.
- Kambal, Consul of Allocation Life cost to play spells. Another great way to trip some combos and source life for draws.
Here's some other cards that are worth noting:
- Pristine Talisman combos well if you have Oloro out (Tap to gain life, spend the mana to draw the card and cost each opponent 1 life)
- Baleful Strix can be great utility in this kind of deck
- Reliquary Tower Is always great in draw decks
One card I'd definitely recommend ditching is Azor's Elocutors.
Other cards I see that I'd consider removing if it was me:
- Palisade Giant CMC too high for too little bonus in my opinion.
- Azorius Chancery / Dimir Aqueduct / Orzhov Basilica . I've seen these mess up players' tempo and strategy so many times. They're also great value for any opponents running land destruction. Some other options to consider could include: Drowned Catacomb / Glacial Fortress / Isolated Chapel if you want faster mana. OR Temple of Silence / Temple of Enlightenment / Temple of Deceit if you want the bonus scry. OR maybe even something as simple as Scoured Barrens / Tranquil Cove / Dismal Backwater in the hopes the 1 life lets you get a bonus draw.
I used to play an Oloro deck as well (albeit it with a very different affinity ) using a ton more artifacts and some fun combinations around Darksteel Forge and Nevinyrral's Disk . He's a great commander and a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy the deck and can find something useful in any of my suggestions.
Good luck and happy hunting!
3 days ago
yeah I bought a couple dual lands but didn't use them in my 4 color and ended up trading them away (minorly upset about that in retrospect). working on getting my hands on as many fetches as I can as they are ridiculously helpful and let's be honest, the life doesn't hurt in edh.
I have the full cycle of shocklands so that's good to go.
I have the multi-color producers.
artifact staples I have (except coalition relic, is it really that good and I'm just an idiot for never getting my hands on one, or is it only super helpful early game and then just sorta okay late game? Astral Cornucopia recently blew my mind so I'm up for it). Just picked up a Doubling Cube and think it's the bee's knees.
I run a Riku spellslinger deck that relies primarily on green ramp sorceries and that is super fun/broken.
I have a bloom tender and didn't realize how much it was worth. Definitely sleeved that up after seeing it here. I don't like mana dorks because they can get wiped too minimal board wipes with their low toughness. Do they ever stick around long enough to do anything or do people basically just ignore them?
These I love, especially ETB. ETB is by far my favorite mechanic to break with any color combination. I want it to hit the table and make a splash. #SadRobot
Like I said, Riku fetch sorceries are awesome. Nature's lore and Skyshroud Claim for mana fixing. Do you run more than one of each basic land?
Have an oracle, picked up an Azusa Judge Foil for my Gitrog monster deck so I'm pretty stoked to use that in 5 color as well.
I agree it's about testing, but this was a great start! On the whole, how important do you think the original duals are? For speed, obviously, but if I replaced them with the bounce double lands Azorius Chancery etc and have plenty of shocks that should cover it, right? Budget wise that seems like the smart choice. Next I'm gonna go find the most beat up duals on TCG hahaha.
6 days ago
So, my thoughts. If I am playing UW I would be either playing control or if you want to stick to tempo I might do something like VOLTRON. So either you are just playing for the long game (which is easy to do in EDH) or you can play the tempo and rely on throwing enchantments on creatures and some equipment. Look at voltron lists on here and see what they are doing.--okay, I forgot what Brago did, the aforementioned stuff is relevant, but stick to blink and utility creatures-- I will give you suggestions for cards in what you are doing. the next message is what to remove
Some Planeswalkers I might Suggest:
This is all I can think of for now.
1 week ago
lithium142, thanks for the help. First off, what is your reasoning on Sphere of Saftey vs Ghostly Prison? Ghostly Prison is better in a vacuum because of a guaranteed 2-cost, but I feel like Sphere is better in this deck due to the number of enchantments present, even if it has a relatively high CMC.
I think I will drop 2 Islands, and then replace 2x Cathar's Companion with 3x Wall of Omens, and 3x Benthic Infiltrator with 4x Thought Scour. I feel like I have too much mana by the middle of the deck, especially with the double mana coming from Azorius Chancery, and the other suggestions you gave me work well to my liking in play tests.
Is there a cheaper alternative to Path to Exile? I like the card, but not the price at this point. Eventually it might make its way into this deck, but I am a broke college student at this point!
1 week ago
Things to ditch:
Inexpensive Better Lands:Mana Confluence
Cards to Add:Ghostly Prison (More stupid mana taxes)
Elixir of Immortality (In case I ever need a shuffle) ?
1 month ago
Also, are you sure you wan to run the Azorius Chancery, Izzet Boilerworks, and Boros Garrison, they are such cheap duel lands because they slow you down. For example if you have an island and one of these lands in your starting hand you play the island turn one. Play one of these turn 2 and have no mana for turn 2; then, you have a total of 3 mana turn 3. Which is the same as normal, but with only two lands instead of 3. The advantage they give is you need less land cards to be successful, but they slow you down between turns.
1 month ago
A couple of budget lands I would recommend adding to your deck are Terramorphic Expanse,Temple of Enlightenment, Azorius Chancery, Temple of the False God, Adarkar Wastes, Skycloud Expanse, and Rogue's Passage