|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Core Set 2019 (M19)||Basic land|
|Global Series: Jiang Yanggu & Mu Yanling (GS1)||Common|
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Uncommon|
Combos Browse all
Timber Gorge enters the battlefield tapped.
: Gain or .
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
|Have (16)||susureedjango , bakeraj4 , Xue-Kaihua , Unjust_DiabIo , Atroxreaper , machiavelli2081 , Doom_of_Valyria , Totally_A_Spy , ZombieSam , Sprx101 , BrenBrix , Loading_Error , bpiser95 , PTsmitty , orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 ,|
|Want (16)||CaptianClueless , PyRoTheLifeLess , AlphaSp , leakypen , talonmcshay , gamerhat , fancysaurus , Dienekes , skaspels , SipAndPlayGames , SimonM9d , Luftwaffle , publicvoid , Jspeed , EDWlNNING , RobRiots|
Timber Gorge Discussion
3 weeks ago
4 weeks ago
Nice deck! I would consider cutting the 2 Mountains and maybe 2 Forests for 4 Timber Gorge as you cannot afford to play a single non green mana source as you have full playsets of both Gigantosaurus and Steel Leaf Champion, but you do still want to draw red for the Sarkhan's Unsealings. This obviously isn't optimal, but it will get much better with the reprinting of Stomping Ground in standard. +1!
1 month ago
another thing you could do to make the deck better is cleaning up the manabase! you should run 10 of each basic and replace some of the forests you have with cheap split lands! some good budget split lands under $5 are
Cinder Glade - $3
Game Trail - $1.12
Highland Weald -$.28 (Very not good but very budget)
Karplusan Forest - been reprinted 1000 times you can find a old one for like $2
Mossfire Valley -$5
Rootbound Crag -$3.45
Shivan Oasis -$.20 (Very not good but very budget)
Spire Garden -$5.42
Fungal Reaches, Gruul Guildgate, Timber Gorge are very not good even on a budget, i would recommend cutting these for any of these upgrades after evening out the manabase. I like all of the utility lands you put in though they are very fun!
2 months ago
I think you could replace a lot of your tapped alnds with their guildgate counterparts, i.e. Timber Gorge could become Gruul Guildgate. It means you can then include and get extra value out of Circuitous Route for fixing. Plus if you ran all 10 you could find a spot for Maze's End :P
I have also been impressed with Retreat to Emeria as a card in Tazri ally builds.
2 months ago
Thanks for the feedback clayperce!
- I've actually looked into adding one of the Sarkhan planeswalkers to the deck since he's a bit of a dragon manic. But I'm currently looking at Sarkhan, Dragonsoul from the M19 planeswalker decks. It feels better to buy a complete deck with a planeswalker in it than buying a single card for the same price.
- Taurean Mauler looks amazing and I'm definitely going to replace Dragon Egg with it. Since Taurean Mauler is every creature type should it still trigger Dragon Tempest and benefit from Dragonlord's Servant right?
- I've looked over these lands in the past but I've refrained from adding them to the deck due to their price tag. I actually have a private "deck/card list" here on Tappedout that contains cards I've looked at in the past and liked, but not added to a deck for one reason or another and the lands you suggested are saved in that list. Although Game Trail wasn't that expensive so I'll consider adding a few of those. Temple of Abandon would probably be better than Timber Gorge if nothing else.
- I've been meaning to add some kind of legendary dragon to the deck but like you say I'm not sure either what I would take out. Although I think I would prefer Lathliss, Dragon Queen over Verix Bladewing as it would combo nicely with my favourite, Archwing Dragon.
Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions!
2 months ago
This deck looks really fun! A few quick thoughts:
- It'll wreck your budget, but Sarkhan, Fireblood is really good.
- IMO, Taurean Mauler is the best 3-drop Dragon in Modern.
- Since Evolving Wilds and Timber Gorge always enter tapped, they're pretty meh. If budget allows, upgrading to Game Trail or Karplusan Forest would make the deck run much more smoothly. Cinder Glade isn't as good, but would still be better than Wilds or Gorge. Alternately, you could save for January, when Ravnica Allegiance comes out with a (much less expensive) Stomping Ground reprint.
- Have you looked at Verix Bladewing? Not sure what I'd take out for them, but I like them in a Dragon Tempest deck, because the Kicker cost acts as "mana-flooded insurance".
Good luck (and good skill) with the deck!
3 months ago
Hey, if you're wanting to play this at local tournaments then consider getting some dual lands for the manabase? Rootbound Crag and Timber Gorge are lands that make one of either red or green mana. Evolving Wilds can fetch one of either a Mountain or Forest. Deathspitter is not a good three drop Dino, it just doesn't do enough. Consider Thrashing Brontodon or Runic Armasaur or Deathgorge Scavenger? Depending on your budget Carnage Tyrant is one of the best Dinos much better than Burning Sun's Avatar.
You're getting back into Standard at a good time because Standard will completely change in a month. Fall Standard rotation happens Oct. 5, the same day new set Guilds of Ravnica is released. At this time all cards from past sets of Kaladesh and Amonkhet will not be legal to play in Standard. Dinos however are fine since they are in Ixalan sets and those sets are legal in Standard until Oct 2019. Cards in Dominaria and Core Set 2019 (M19) are also legal to play until Oct 2019. At rotation Standard will consist of sets in Ixalan, Dominaria, M19 and Guilds of Ravnica. What's in Standard is helpful.
Before playing this at a local tournament you'll want a 15 card sideboard. The sideboard is the place you put situational cards that can help you in certain matchups. The three types of matchups to build a sideboard for are aggro, midrange and control. In very simplified terms for aggro you want more cheap early game creature removal (Shock), more high toughness three drop Dinos (Thrashing Brontodon, Runic Armasaur) and lifegain Deathgorge Scavenger. For midrange cards that can give your creatures an advantage against your opponents creatures (Aggressive Mammoth, Rabid Bite, Act of Treason) and card advantage/draw (Vivien Reid). For control draw/resiliency/enchantment removal (Carnage Tyrant, Vivien Reid, Naturalize).
Good luck with your deck.
4 months ago
I think you should replace the Timber Gorge with Sheltered Thicket. They still enter tapped, but you can cycle them for card advantage. I also think you should try some creatures that have power 4 or greater, but have lower mana cost. You can remove some of the ramping cards like Gift of Paradise and Grow from the Ashes and add in more creatures that can aid in your board and removal. I like Rhonas the Indomitable, Prowling Serpopard, and Bloodrage Brawler. If you use Wayward Swordtooth, it can serve as ramp and a cheap creature spell! If you would like some more ideas, check out my deck that uses Sarkhan's Unsealing.
SCORE: 2 | 57 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS