|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Eldritch Moon (EMN)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Geier Reach Sanitarium
: Add to your mana pool.
, : Each player draws a card, then discards a card.
Price & Acquistion Set Price Alerts
Geier Reach Sanitarium Discussion
20 hours ago
This is exactly the style of deck I like. I also enjoy pushing the themes to their full extent, looking for unusual wincons and infinite combos are banned in my group.
I believe you have too many lands. I use the formula 40-(Rocks+Fetch+Other Mana sources), which in this case would be around 35. I suggest you lose the Vivids and the Bounce Lands, and add Crypt of the Eternals, Geier Reach Sanitarium and Crosis's Catacombs. If you own them or have budget, you could easily replace the lesser fetch lands (Evolving Wilds, Grixis Panorama, Terramorphic Expanse) with Blood Crypt, Steam Vents and Watery Grave.
If you are not going to use Nicol Bolas, the Ravager Flip as your commander, should he not at least be in the deck? Maybe replace Nicol Bolas, the Deceiver, which is expensive and doesn't do much in here?
I am not usually very fond of tutors, but you really need Megrim or Liliana's Caress (or Bloodchief Ascension) to kickstart, so in this case I would run 2 or 3.
Many of your discard spells, like Cruel Ultimatum are single occurrence, whereas Liliana of the Veil can activate each turn.
Scourge of the Throne is a nice dragon.
If you have one or your group allows proxy, add Chains of Mephistopheles will turn these wheels into double the discard and prevent your opponents from building hands. Note that it affects you as well.
Oath of Scholars may very well backfire; if you are the only one holding cards, you are basically letting your opponent draw 3 each turn. I am not sure what the rationale is for including it.
I hope this inspires you!
1 day ago
Pinkie_Satanas: Hey, thanks! It's pretty sweet to find out that my list has inspired you to create one of your own. I still play this deck every once in a while but I've not had much time to update it. I think many of your suggestions make a lot of sense. As a general rule of thumb, anything that creates tokens is something we should always consider adding to this deck because tokens mean extra grenzo triggers. Loyal Apprentice is definitely a good suggestion (I think there's another token generator goblin now, too) and I'd play it in addition to Young Pyromancer--might cut Moggcatcher instead of pyro tho. I also like Stolen Strategy as another way of keeping up with our opponents in grindy games but think we should play it in addition to Outpost Siege--would probably cut Thorn of Amethyst, which I honestly don't think belongs to this deck (I tried a tax theme once but it just doesn't work as well as I wanted).
I'm not sure about Glorybringer. I don't think the haste thing matters a whole lot and the 4 dmg is not an ETB ability, so our opponents might kill it (path, swords, black removals) bfore we get a chance to deal 4 dmg to a creature. Also, you definitely do not want to play Geier Reach Sanitarium and valakut. Geier enables reanimate strategies and you cant do shit about it and with all the moon and land destruction spells, we'll rarely get to use valakut multiple times (it also has bad synergy with Extraplanar Lens). Other than that, I completely agree with your suggestions and as the other sets come out, feel free to chime in with new suggestions.
As I said in my last update, I don't have a lot of time to play mtg anymore, owing to my job responsibilities and family. So, if you really enjoy this deck, I can add a link in the description to your version of it (a more up-to-date version), as long as you keep the general principles. Best of luck testing your list! It's high variance but it's pretty fun when it gets out of control.
6 days ago
Hello ^^ I built this deck in paper with some proxis to play with my friends, and i'm very excited about it :D I cut mishra's workshop tho, cause i cannot realistically expect to get, and put Temple of the False God in its place instead, although i am also considering Crystal Vein there for ramp, or Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle and Geier Reach Sanitarium cause value. Besides that, i'm playing exactly the same decklist as you, and i'd love to read your thoughts on some cards i think might be good in the deck:
Glorybringer it's kind of a hasty evasive repetible flametongue kavu for 1 more mana. Haste and evasion is relevant to get to goad or exile some cards from opponents. I know costing extra mana is huge. What do you think?
Loyal Apprentice maybe this card flew under your radar cause it came out in august, but the few times i've played it seemed super good with low to the ground commanders. The fact that she pops out thopters with haste is huge, so you can get immediate value from her with grenzo in play. She and her thopters also have haste so it could help speed up the game, which could be good considering this deck has no haste enablers. I was considering put her in instead of Young Pyromancer cause i feel the psynergy with grenzo is better, although more volatile. Young pyromancer seems like adds more value on average, but with a lower cealing. Another card i considered to cut is Moggcatcher, as it's slow, but i'm still not sure if the loss of one tutor would damage the deck.
The last card i wanted to show you is Stolen Strategy, also a fairly recent one. I see this as a "catch-up" card on theme with the deck that helps to recover after a board wipe. Like Outpost Siege would do but on steroids. The problem i see is that this effect for 5 mana feels inefficient and the fact that doesn't let you play lands is kind of an issue.
That's all ^^ i'll be testing the deck and see how it goes. For now i had a bunch of 1vs1 games with and one multiplayer that was a blast, although my attackers only exiled lands with the grenzo triggers xd Thank you very much for putting so much effort in this list, explained it and showcasing it. I really wanted to have a good grenzo deck and i felt kind of helpless to build it.
2 weeks ago
Well you could always try running Quicksilver Amulet and board a couple in with her. While you won't get the casting triggers it's still pseudo-Flash so can be done end of turn/in response to attackers. Plus it gets Wurmcoil in faster too, which the Temples don't help with (and I'd hate to see one of them flashed in turn four with no Tron, which is possible with Mind Stone). If it's primarily for the mill defense you could try running a single Geier Reach Sanitarium, then fetch that with the map and pitch Emrakul to it if she's in hand?
1 month ago
Hey! Daretti is one of my favorite decks at the moment so I'll try and give a couple solid cards that work really well and won't break the bank!
- Since red isn't too great at removing enchantments or creatures (aside from with damage) - Chaos Warp is usually a really solid card in red decks. You have Unstable Obelisk, Spine of Ish Sah, and Universal Solvent but they're all pretty high CMC so this card could be useful for helping deal with problem cards early on!
- Speaking of high CMC, your deck is a slight bit on the heavy side so including some more mana rocks wouldn't be an awful thing. Not sure how great Coveted Jewel is yet; but I think if there is any deck that makes use of it, it would be a Daretti deck. You can sacrifice it with one of your artifact sacrifice outlets (also echoing ANemoAcids recommendation of Krark-Clan Ironworks) or with Daretti's -2 before your opponents get the chance to make use of it. It's basically a Gilded Lotus (which is also the cheapest it has been in a bit because of the reprinting) with card draw attached to it in this deck. Both those cards are high CMC though, so maybe you need cheaper mana rocks like Mind Stone or maybe even Hedron Archive.
- There are WAY too many utility lands that work really well with Daretti, but here are a few of the more budget friendly and useful ones: Sequestered Stash, Inventors' Fair, Tectonic Edge, Hanweir Battlements, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Tectonic Edge, Forge of Heroes, and Mishra's Factory. Obviously you still want some red sources so not all of these are needed, but thought I'd list a few to see if any pique your interests.
- Voltaic Key, Unwinding Clock, and Clock of Omens can all put in a lot of work if your final build has more artifacts that need to tap to activate. With your current list I wouldn't put these as a priority to include, but if you decide to add more mana rocks, these cards put in a lot of work.
- Tormod's Crypt helps against graveyard based decks and is a free artifact for Daretti to sacrifice.
- Squee, Goblin Nabob lets you use Daretti's +2 ability to discard him, draw a card, and then return him back from your graveyard; netting you one card every time you do this.
- Chain Reaction is another cheap boardwipe mono-red has access to. Almost always acts as a second Blasphemous Act that you have to cast for 4.
- Mirage Mirror is just an all-around solid card. No special broken synergies (that I can think of) or anything fancy like that; just a really good card.
- If you're using Golem Artisan for evasion purposes, I would prefer cards like Whispersilk Cloak or something like that due to the extra protection it gives. If you're using it to give haste, I think cards like Anger, Hanweir Battlements, or Flamekin Village would be better. If you like the card for its flexibility that's fine too, it just feels like a steep mana cost to pay for its abilities.
- For Cogwork Assembler I like cards like Flameshadow Conjuring, Minion Reflector, or my personal favorite Mirrorworks. They can't create tokens of cards that are already on the board the same way Cogwork Assembler can, but the mana investment is much less and, in the case of Mirrorworks, you get to keep the token.
- Bosh, Iron Golem and Bogardan Hellkite are both really high CMC for what they do. I don't have any direct replacements for these, but I'd keep an eye on these two and see how they feel when you play them. It might be worth switching them out for mana rocks or something like that.
- Finally, Tuktuk the Explorer. Similar to the above cards, I don't really have a good direct replacement for this card. There isn't anything inherently wrong with the card, I'm just not a fan that it has to be destroyed before it synergizes with our deck. Before it's destroyed it's just a 1/1 goblin that we have very limited ways of destroying ourselves. Also once its gone, we can't bring it back except with Feldon of the Third Path.
I know I've rambled enough, but I'll close it out with some powerhouse semi-budget (under $25) cards to consider in case you want to splurge on a couple cards:
- Mycosynth Lattice would be the #1 pickup in my book. Price drop due to reprint and synergizes AMAZINGLY with Daretti.
- Crucible of Worlds lets you recur cards like Strip Mine, Tectonic Edge, and Ghost Quarter while also letting you toss lands to Daretti's +2 and still play them (also the cheapest it has been in a while due to recent reprint).
- All Is Dust is usually a mostly one-sided boardwipe. It feels like a balanced Cyclonic Rift made for artifact decks.
- Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle has been rising in price lately, but is a great land to throw into mono-red decks; especially if you end up getting Crucible of Worlds. Probably the least recommended of the 4 cards, but still good enough to mention.
1 month ago
Hey, very nice budget Commander deck.
Consider a few other creatures who can make your opponent discard a card? Using creatures who do this puts more pressure on your opponents.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Gift of Paradise
- Deadbridge Shaman
- Greenwheel Liberator
- Llanowar Mentor
For the manabase consider:
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
I like the suggestion of Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek here, since they're both distruption as well as a way to discard your own Apostles without letting opponent go first/or when you mulligan. However, they do cause problems when you want to empty the deck since its another card name. Geier Reach Sanitarium would also help to discard them without adding or more nonland cards.
1 month ago
Pretty solid list for keeping it under $200. You've got the Ishka-infinite which is a must for this commander IMO, so that's good. Depending on how much you want to use the grave, I'd highly recommend running Golgari Grave-Troll for big dredges and Altar of Dementia as a way of milling yourself further or milling your opponents to death if you pull off the infinite but don't have the colored mana to drain everyone. I'd also recommend running Hornet Queen and/or Grave Titan to give yourself more infinite combo enablers, they don't drain the way Ishka does, but with Blood Artist or Altar of Dementia, you can still go lethal with them.
As for when you get to the land base, include both colored artifact lands, the cycling lands, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Grim Backwoods, and Dakmor Salvage for sure, all of those lands enable Delirium in some way.
Here's my list if you want some inspiration, I'm less budget than this build is, but there's some cheap pieces I'm running that might pique your interest, especially since our builds aren't too far apart and our game plan is the same.