Nahiri, the Harbinger
Planeswalker — Nahiri
+2: You may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
-2: Exile target enchantment, tapped artifact, or tapped creature.
-8: Search your library for an artifact or creature card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. It gains haste. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.
|Have (2)||gildan_bladeborn , metalmagic|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Nahiri, the Harbinger Discussion
1 month ago
Hey, well done on a budget. Nice Aurelia, the Warleader :)
Phyrexian Reclamation can be a repeatable source of recursion for Kaalia or any other creature, even at instant speed. Let Kaalia die, put her into your graveyard not the Command Zone; recur her to your hand which bypasses Commander tax. Dragon Tempest is a source of haste for Kaalia and any flying creature you cast or reanimate. It has the bonus of being able to do damage if the creature is a Dragon.
Dragon Mage pairs well with Emeria Shepherd . Mage discards the permanents that you then reanimate with Shepherd and Mage refills your hand to keep doing it. Nahiri, the Harbinger can be reanimated by Shepherd and her -8 in two turns can tutor for any creature or artifact including Shepherd. -8 Nahiri, tutor for Shepherd, play a Plains and reanimate Nahiri. Nahiri has other uses besides her -8 she can be repeatable discard/draw for reanimation or even repeatable removal that exiles.
Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a Demon who can reduce the casting cost of all other Angels/Demons/Dragons. If he or other creatures are attacking and doing combat damage to opponents then he's ramp to cast high CMC creatures which helps if Kaalia is disrupted. Arcane Signet is a staple mana rock in Commander. Orzhov Signet and Rakdos Signet is more two drop ramp.
Some changes to consider, with suggestions of cuts close to or equal in price:
- Phyrexian Reclamation --> Phage the Untouchable
- Dragon Tempest --> Sigarda's Aid
- Dragon Mage --> Hero's Blade
- Nahiri, the Harbinger --> Sword of Vengeance
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots --> Akroma, Angel of Fury
- Bloodgift Demon --> Demanding Dragon
- Arcane Signet --> Exquisite Archangel
- Orzhov Signet --> Avarice Amulet
- Rakdos Signet --> Chancellor of the Annex
My advice is cut the majority of the equipment theme for more ramp since ramp is going to help more to cast Kaalia and high CMC creatures. Phage the Untouchable and Sigarda's Aid are two expensive price cards for your budget that aren't doing much in your deck. You can't cheat Phage onto the battlefield with Kaalia or reanimation which makes it pretty useless. Aid is a good card, but not taking enough advantage of equipment and I don't think you need to since the most important equipment you want to play Greaves/Boots are low mana cost to cast and equip.
If interested I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
TIL that emojis aren't parsed properly by TappedOut even though they appear fine in the preview! Let's try again...
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together! :) Judging by the 400,000 views that this has had I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way :D
Since this list hasn't been updated since pre-WAR, I thought I'd put together a pretty comprehensive list of all tutors released since then (including all of the tutors mentioned in the comments above). Hopefully putting it in one place will make it easier to update! Note - as per the list you've curated, I've excluded any tutors that fetch specific cards (e.g. Yanling's Harbinger ) or basic lands. I've also left off the card types and colours since there's already enough text in the comment and it can be seen from the preview. Right - on with the list!
CARD: TUTOR FOR - ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTED CATEGORIES
- Axgard Armory : Aura or Equipment - to hand
- Boggart Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Burning-Rune Demon : Anything - to hand, to graveyard
- Chandra, Heart of Fire : Instants/Sorceries - jump through hoops, to cast
- Coveted Prize : Anything - to hand, (jump through hoops) to cast
- Deathbellow War Cry : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Divining Witch : Anything - jump through hoops, to hand
- Dwarven Recruiter : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Reclaimer : Land - to battlefield
- Emergent Ultimatum : Anything - tutor by name, to cast
- Enigmatic Incarnation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Fabled Passage : Land - to battlefield
- Faerie Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Fiend Artisan : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Finale of Devastation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Garruk, Unleashed : Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Giant Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim : Land - to battlefield
- Gravebreaker Lamia : Anything - to graveyard
- Guided Passage : Anything - jump through hoops
- Ignite the Beacon : Planeswalker - to hand
- Jester's Cap : Anything - to exile
- Kaho, Minamo Historian : Instant - jump through hoops, to exile
- Kithkin Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Artifact or Dragon - tutor by type, to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Magus of the Order : Creature - tutor by colour, to battlefield
- Merrow Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Mythos of Brokkos : Anything - jump through hoops, to graveyard, to hand
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : Artifact/Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Neoform : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Nylea's Intervention : Land, to hand
- Pyre of Heroes : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by type and CMC, to battlefield
- Quest for the Holy Relic : Equipment - to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Reshape the Earth : Land - to battlefield
- Rootless Yew : Creature - tutor by POW or TOU, to hand
- Scheming Symmetry : Anything - to top of library
- Shared Summons : Creature - to hand
- The World Tree : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Treefolk Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Ulvenwald Hydra : Land - to battlefield
- Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire : Anything - to top of library
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Wishclaw Talisman : Anything - to hand
It wasn't entirely clear to me what categories the below cards should go under since they search for specific card subtypes:
- Opposition Agent : ??? (This sort of counts as a 'tutor your opponents decks' card!)
- Runed Crown : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Runeforge Champion : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Sanctum of All : Shrines - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Search for Glory : Snow/legendary/saga - could go under a few sections?
- Spirit of the Aldergard : Land - 'searches for tribal cards'?
Seeing as the three creators of this list haven't been on TappedOut in at least 8 months I'm guessing that this comment won't go anywhere, but at least it's all in one place for people to search for later. I'm happy to help maintain and update this list if I'm given access. (If I haven't heard back in a couple of months then I might look at creating a copy of this list and linking it here for anyone looking for an up-to-date list of tutors.)
2 months ago
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together!
2 months ago
Hey, nice version of Kaalia, lots of interesting card choices.
You're playing a lot of lands that you only see in low budget decks. White is the primary color as there's more white then both red and black combined, but this is not shown in the manabase where there's more red than white. By cutting several lands that always ETB tapped you can improve the manabase to speed up your deck.
On your budget there's only a few exceptions I would make Nomad Outpost , Path of Ancestry and the three Bounce lands. All other lands should be able to ETB untapped. Because you have Bloodstained Mire then Savai Triome would be an upgrade for any Bounce land.
- Exotic Orchard --> New Benalia
- Battlefield Forge --> Boros Guildgate
- Caves of Koilos --> Rakdos Guildgate
- Needleverge Pathway Flip --> Scoured Barrens
- Brightclimb Pathway Flip --> Wind-Scarred Crag
- Path of Ancestry --> Karoo
- Dragonskull Summit --> Bloodfell Caves
- Smoldering Marsh --> Sulfurous Mire
- Ash Barrens --> Great Furnace
These are some land upgrade suggestions based on a $300 deck budget. Of course there's many other better/ more expensive price upgrades to consider such as the Shock lands, Battlebond lands and Filter lands.
Nahiri, the Harbinger is good in multiplayer Commander. Having a potential repeatable removal exile effect and with strategies where you want to cheat creatures onto the battlefield. Returning the creature you tutor for back to your hand is nice interaction with Kaalia. She's especially good with Rune-Scarred Demon and Emeria Shepherd . Phyrexian Reclamation and Karmic Guide are both helpful repeatable recursion/reanimation effects with Kaalia. Karmic because it's an Angel.
- Nahiri, the Harbinger --> Serra's Guardian
- Phyrexian Reclamation --> Walk the Plank
- Karmic Guide --> Chancellor of the Annex
Good luck with your deck.
2 months ago
Hey, making an Angel deck on a budget is not easy, well done.
My advice is to cut several high CMC cards for more low CMC ramp, more lower CMC Angels and repeatable draw sources. Some cards to consider adding, in order of best to worst and then I'll explain my suggestions.
- Righteous Valkyrie : three drop Angel, repeatable life gain and a +2/+2 anthem effect.
- Court of Grace : can be repeatable draw, 4/4 Angels or 1/1 Spirits.
- Boros Signet
- Talisman of Conviction
- Valkyrie Harbinger : it's less than $1, not $7.
- Youthful Valkyrie : two drop Angel who grows.
- Emeria Angel : four drop Angel, repeatable 1/1 Birds with landfall.
- Knight of the White Orchid : two drop ramp for a Plains.
- Oketra's Monument
- Palace Jailer : can be repeatable draw, creature removal.
- Ghostly Prison : $2, helps to keep the monarch.
- Resplendent Marshal : three drop Angel.
- War Room : repeatable draw for 2 life.
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : repeatable draw, can be repeatable exile, can tutor for and cheat an Angel onto the battlefield.
- Endless Atlas
- Solemn Simulacrum
- Commander's Sphere
- Needleverge Pathway Flip
- Alpine Meadow : cards that can search for a Plains can search for this land.
- Boros Garrison
- Temple of Triumph
Aurelia and Avacyn are the high CMC Angels you want to play more then the rest therefore consider cutting several other high CMC Angels? Emeria Shepherd 's repeatable reanimation by playing a Plains makes other Angels who reanimate less needed. You want more of an established battlefield of Angels before you play Aureila to take advantage of her haste and extra combat. There's a new Magic set called Kaldheim and in the set are many Angels for Boros with Righteous Valkyrie as the stand out.
Consider cutting some high CMC Angels for more ramp to help to cast Aureila and the other Angels quicker? An example is cutting Akroma, Angel of Fury for a two drop ramp Boros Signet . Signet helps to cast Aurelia or any other Angel way before you can cast Akroma. For the same amount of mana you could cast Avacyn therefore you don't really need Akroma.
In Commander you want repeatable draw sources, but Boros has an overall problem with drawing cards. A mechanic called the monarch helps and it's fun in multiplayer Commander. Court of Grace when you have the monarch creates a 4/4 Angel at your upkeep. If not it creates a 1/1 Spirit no matter what it's creating a flying creature.
When you have the monarch at your end step you draw a card. Any opponent who does combat damage to you then becomes the monarch. Once any player is the monarch then it can change who's the monarch throughout the game. Your goal however is to keep the monarch because then it becomes a repeatable draw source for no additional mana to draw.
An advantage that Angels have with the monarch is their flying and vigilance. If you lose the monarch it will be easier to get it back with flying creatures by doing combat damage to the opponent who's the monarch. Vigilance lets you attack and then keep your creatures back on defense making it more difficult for an opponent to do combat damage to you. Any player can play a card that makes them the monarch which means you will lose the monarch, but you can get it back.
I offer more advice including cuts to consider. Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
5 months ago
What’s the difference between “Tutors for Tribal Cards” and “Tutors by Creature Type”? All the cards from the former are included in the latter, so why not just combine them into one or the other?
Also, I’d add the Harbingers, Boggart Harbinger, Elvish Harbinger, Faerie Harbinger, Flamekin Harbinger, Giant Harbinger, Kithkin Harbinger, Merrow Harbinger, and Treefolk Harbinger.
Also, my search for Harbingers turned up Nahiri, the Harbinger, which goes in “Notable For: Jumping Through Hoops,” and Yanling's Harbinger, which brings up the Planeswalker Deck tutors. Sure, people are unlikely to run them, but some might.
I’d also like to suggest a category: Combo Tutors. These are the ones that are part of a combo AND search for another one of the pieces. Ones that come to mind are Godo, Bandit Warlord and Forerunner of the Empire. Godo tutors for Helm of the Host, which he goes infinite with, and Forerunner tutors for Polyraptor, and from then you simply need to give Forerunner indestructible and then play Polyraptor to go infinite with.
Lastly, I’d suggest changing “Tutors to Graveyard” to “Tutors w/ Graveyard Synergies,” so you can include cards like Mausoleum Secrets, Fiend Artisan and Diabolic Intent, which interact with the grave while not tutoring TO the grave. Dimir House Guard would still go here, since his tutor effect merely discards him, he IS a sac outlet, and many graveyard deck will still desire him for it.
8 months ago
Damping Sphere against Tron and Storm. Fulminator Mage against Tron and other Decks with special lands, like an Azcanta. Infernal Reckoning against tron or Eldrazi. Pithing Needle or Murderous Rider against Planeswalker heavy decks. Nihil Spellbomb against Dredge or just for grave hate. Ashiok, Dream Render for grave hate. Damping Matrix against Affintiy/Eggs. Dash Hopes for surprise Counter Magic (I Like this alot, espacially in aggro styled decks). Spellskite against Burn, Boggles or Infect. Abrade against Artifacts. Disenchant against Artifacts and Enchantments. Leave No Trace against Enchantments. Kambal, Consul of Allocation against Burn or Control. Collective Brutality against Burn or Control. Rakdos Charm against creature heavy decks like Elfes or Tokens or Artifacts or for grave hate. Wear / Tear against Artifacts or Enchantments. Crumble to Dust Against Tron.
Depends on your meta, what decks you want to side against and what do you need in addition to your main 60. Which Match ups are bad for you and ho to play against that. I play the following Sideboard in my Mardu Vehicle Deck: 1x Chandra, Torch of Defiance 1x Collective Brutality 3x Duress 2x Kambal, Consul of Allocation 1x Nahiri, the Harbinger 2x Nihil Spellbomb 1x Rakdos Charm 1x Settle the Wreckage 2x Wear 1x Wrath of God