Nahiri, the Harbinger
Planeswalker — Nahiri
+2: You may discard a card. If you do, draw a card.
-2: Exile target enchantment, tapped artifact, or tapped creature.
-8: Search your library for an artifact or creature card, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. It gains haste. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.
|Have (3)||gildan_bladeborn , abby315 , Obsolete|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Nahiri, the Harbinger Discussion
1 month ago
Personally for a pox list. I'd go 4 Vindicate (pox into vindicate is one of your stronger plays)
Chandra, Acolyte of Flame dose what you want dark dwellers to do but cheaper and more times.
Smiting Helix also seems like a obvious include. Mid game removal or discard and lighting helix for extra value
The other option is Nahiri, the Harbinger + emrakul package. As nahiri works as a solid wincon and interaction card.
Boom//bust is another option.
2 months ago
Looks fun but also a little all over the place. Some cards just don’t feel like they fit. Nahiri, the Harbinger is one. It’s fine for drawing and sculpting your hand but for 4 mana that’s a bit steep for modern. Dovin, Hand of Control also seems out of place. It just seems slow and doesn’t do enough for 3 mana. Modern is a fast format and every card you play from turn 3 onward need to impact the board immediately. Omnath seems insanely out of place here, as you don’t have much in the way of landfall effects. You’re playing growth spiral, but also playing only 5 fetch lands. It also can’t be hit with Niv. I don’t think you play enough planeswalkers to justify running Carth the Lion , and the walkers you do play just aren’t high-impact enough to justify wanting to dig specifically for them.
Expressive Iteration is an insanely good card that I highly recommend. It’s a bit slow but also helps with mana fixing and just finding the right spell. Your deck is essentially a multi-colored toolbox deck, so you’ll often find yourself needing to hit the right card to remove a threat or end the game.
3 months ago
This deck looks pretty good! I love the idea of a better Hero of Precinct One as a commander. The tokens he makes have really nice art, too!
Maybe ditch Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran for a damage doubler like Dictate of the Twin Gods or something? Feather, the Redeemed doesn't seem to have much support, so I'd suggest replacing her (I think I only counted one or two instants that would trigger her). Nahiri, the Harbinger also seems a bit weak. Maybe another card to be replaced? War Room is another card draw effect on a land. Needleverge Pathway Flip might be worth a look to replace a basic as well. Same with the white and red artifact lands, Ancient Den and Great Furnace .
3 months ago
I once built a Nahiri, the Harbinger deck until I got to a point, months later, that the deck is actually better without it.
It boils down to:
1) Do I want a theme deck?
2) Do I want the most optimal deck?
3 months ago
First Pass Update:
Having acquired some cards specifically for this deck, I have made a few changes, which are as follows:
Cloudchaser Kestrel Already have a creature I can recur for enchantment removal, which is also one mana cheaper. Yes, I lose a flyer, but removal is more useful than a tiny chump blocker.
Nekrataal Useful, but has too many restrictions on what it can destroy. I think I have better options.
Rakdos Signet Doesn't do enough, and is too slow for an aggro deck.
Zulaport Cutthroat A card that I love but doesn't do enough in this deck to warrant an place.
Swords to Plowshares No other reason other than I need the copy elsewhere! Goes into the maybe board in case this deck sees heavy play.
Nahiri, the Harbinger Both the plus and minus ability help out in this deck. The plus ability allows more creatures into the graveyard for Alesha, Who Smiles at Death to target, and the minus ability helps with removal.
Savai Crystal An upgrade on Rakdos Signet as it provides all three colours of mana, and doesn't slow the deck down. Yes it's one more to cast, but doesnt require mana to activate and has the added gravy of being a Cycling card too, if I need to draw a card.
Judith, the Scourge Diva Small bump to creatures which is handy, and the ability to deal targetted ping damage to a target. A really useful target to get some Deathtouch on I think.
Thrilling Discovery Card draw, dumps cards to the graveyard and some incidental lifegain. Not a bad trick I am hoping.
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner Makes creatures unblockable, very useful for several creatures in this deck. Also allows for my hand to be cycled if I can get a creature through.
3 months ago
JacenSolo29 as far as the next update goes, I’m waiting to see if there is anything else that drops from MH2, but I think we have the complete list now.
My first impressions are:
1) Faithless Salvaging - this works better than Thrill of Possibility since it can be cast on an empty hand and the rebound can’t be caught by hand disruption. Instant is nice if we really do want to cast on opponent’s end step. Then, if we draw an instant, we can cast with rebound on the stack to get full value.
2) Prismatic Ending - I personally really REALLY like this. Great against aggro, Humans, Jund, Ponza, Death's Shadow (minus Gurmag Angler ). See (https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/home/is-prismatic-ending-the-new-swords-to-plowshares/)
3) Damn - again, LOVE IT! Definitely love the versatility, but I don’t know if it would replace Dreadbore (hits PWs), Fatal Push (instant and cheaper), or Engineered Explosives (can be triggered at instant speed and can be cheaper). Definitely a consideration for spots that previously included Damnation or Wrath of God .
4) General Ferrous Rokiric - I personally really like this. Immune to most removal (specifically EFFICIENT removal) such as Lightning Bolt , Path to Exile , Fatal Push , and Cryptic Command bouncing it. If you play a lot of multicolor spells, like Kolaghan's Command , Kaya's Guile , Kaya, Orzhov Usurper , Nahiri, the Harbinger , Dreadbore / Terminate , and Lightning Helix , then you definitely benefit from having this.
5) Dragon's Rage Channeler - this has a Magmatic Channeler feel to it and couples well with the graveyard-centric focus. If you opt for utility ARTIFACTS, like Mishra's Bauble , Damping Sphere , or Engineered Explosives , ENCHANTMENTS, like Blood Moon , or PLANESWALKERS, like Liliana of the Veil or any of the previously mentioned PWs, then you have an even easier time to activate Delirium. You do have to attack every turn, but having flying as evasion is really nice. Surveil is good if we start running more Flashback spells, like more Lingering Souls or Smiting Helix .
7) Obsidian Charmaw - OMG there are SO many Tron hate cards in this set, and I LOVE it. If Tron or Eldrazi Tron get more popular through all the hate from this set, then this would be great to add create a clock.
8) Vindicate - old EDH tech being added to Modern. I like the idea of destroying anything, but sorcery speed and 3 cmc, with everything else that has come into the game (and power creep), makes me unsure of its power. Could be what we need, but 3cmc is already crowded in the list.
9) Flame Blitz - UW/x, Jund, and maybe Tron typically run more PWs, so if we forgo running PWs, ourselves, then this serves as an extremely cheap PW hate card. Cycling is nice if we draw it and the opponent has side boarded out a majority of their PWs.
10) Harmonic Prodigy - if we bring back Young Pyromancer , add in Dark Confidant , and focus on Prowess, then I think this would rather have a home in a Feather, the Redeemed /spell-slinger deck. Still, it would be ok here, with the high spell count we run.
11) Sanctifier en-Vec - I don’t think we want to use this... definitely expect it in Burn or D&T lists against us.
12) Dauthi Voidwalker - now THIS we can use. Basically Sanctifier en-Vec , but unilateral hate and can help against Dredge or other recursion based decks. I like that we can sac on targeted removal and cast one of their spell(s). can conflict with our spells, but we are usually ok. If we get Blood Moon ed, we can usually laugh it off and power through it.
13) Bone Shards - in the primer, I’ve indicated that Mardu Pyro has different variants (spells/grave, PW, and Aristocrat/tokens). I feel this would slot nicely into an token deck, along with Village Rites , Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger , and Afterlife creatures.
14) Fury - at first glance, I’ve been conflicted. Seems ok as protection from aggro strategies, but I wish it had either 1 more toughness, did more damage, hit players, or cost less. It just seems... meh... I’m skeptical, but I’ve definitely been proven wrong before, so I’ll keep my mind open.
15) Mine Collapse - great if we run a bit more heavy on lands and run late. Too bad it doesn’t hit players though... a common theme from cards this set.
16) Arcbound Whelp / Esper Sentinel /Knighted Myr - another idea that has come to fruition from this set is Mardu Affinity. No, we won’t tech for Hardened Scales , but the removal suite that we run, in addition to these new artifact creatures (and lands!) is tempting enough to test some brews.
I hope this gives an idea of what we could change for the deck. The list was roughly done in the order of what we would tech in to the current build, but anything is possible! Let me know what you all think.
Edit: some of the cards (Knighted Myr, Mine Collapse, and Bone Shards) did not have the links set up in TappedOut as of the time of this post, so I do apologize for that.
5 months ago
Hey, well done on a budget. Nice Aurelia, the Warleader :)
Phyrexian Reclamation can be a repeatable source of recursion for Kaalia or any other creature, even at instant speed. Let Kaalia die, put her into your graveyard not the Command Zone; recur her to your hand which bypasses Commander tax. Dragon Tempest is a source of haste for Kaalia and any flying creature you cast or reanimate. It has the bonus of being able to do damage if the creature is a Dragon.
Dragon Mage pairs well with Emeria Shepherd . Mage discards the permanents that you then reanimate with Shepherd and Mage refills your hand to keep doing it. Nahiri, the Harbinger can be reanimated by Shepherd and her -8 in two turns can tutor for any creature or artifact including Shepherd. -8 Nahiri, tutor for Shepherd, play a Plains and reanimate Nahiri. Nahiri has other uses besides her -8 she can be repeatable discard/draw for reanimation or even repeatable removal that exiles.
Rakdos, Lord of Riots is a Demon who can reduce the casting cost of all other Angels/Demons/Dragons. If he or other creatures are attacking and doing combat damage to opponents then he's ramp to cast high CMC creatures which helps if Kaalia is disrupted. Arcane Signet is a staple mana rock in Commander. Orzhov Signet and Rakdos Signet is more two drop ramp.
Some changes to consider, with suggestions of cuts close to or equal in price:
- Phyrexian Reclamation --> Phage the Untouchable
- Dragon Tempest --> Sigarda's Aid
- Dragon Mage --> Hero's Blade
- Nahiri, the Harbinger --> Sword of Vengeance
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots --> Akroma, Angel of Fury
- Bloodgift Demon --> Demanding Dragon
- Arcane Signet --> Exquisite Archangel
- Orzhov Signet --> Avarice Amulet
- Rakdos Signet --> Chancellor of the Annex
My advice is cut the majority of the equipment theme for more ramp since ramp is going to help more to cast Kaalia and high CMC creatures. Phage the Untouchable and Sigarda's Aid are two expensive price cards for your budget that aren't doing much in your deck. You can't cheat Phage onto the battlefield with Kaalia or reanimation which makes it pretty useless. Aid is a good card, but not taking enough advantage of equipment and I don't think you need to since the most important equipment you want to play Greaves/Boots are low mana cost to cast and equip.
If interested I offer more advice. Good luck with your deck.
6 months ago
TIL that emojis aren't parsed properly by TappedOut even though they appear fine in the preview! Let's try again...
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together! :) Judging by the 400,000 views that this has had I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way :D
Since this list hasn't been updated since pre-WAR, I thought I'd put together a pretty comprehensive list of all tutors released since then (including all of the tutors mentioned in the comments above). Hopefully putting it in one place will make it easier to update! Note - as per the list you've curated, I've excluded any tutors that fetch specific cards (e.g. Yanling's Harbinger ) or basic lands. I've also left off the card types and colours since there's already enough text in the comment and it can be seen from the preview. Right - on with the list!
CARD: TUTOR FOR - ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTED CATEGORIES
- Axgard Armory : Aura or Equipment - to hand
- Boggart Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Burning-Rune Demon : Anything - to hand, to graveyard
- Chandra, Heart of Fire : Instants/Sorceries - jump through hoops, to cast
- Coveted Prize : Anything - to hand, (jump through hoops) to cast
- Deathbellow War Cry : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Divining Witch : Anything - jump through hoops, to hand
- Dwarven Recruiter : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Reclaimer : Land - to battlefield
- Emergent Ultimatum : Anything - tutor by name, to cast
- Enigmatic Incarnation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Fabled Passage : Land - to battlefield
- Faerie Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Fiend Artisan : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Finale of Devastation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Garruk, Unleashed : Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Giant Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim : Land - to battlefield
- Gravebreaker Lamia : Anything - to graveyard
- Guided Passage : Anything - jump through hoops
- Ignite the Beacon : Planeswalker - to hand
- Jester's Cap : Anything - to exile
- Kaho, Minamo Historian : Instant - jump through hoops, to exile
- Kithkin Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Artifact or Dragon - tutor by type, to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Magus of the Order : Creature - tutor by colour, to battlefield
- Merrow Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Mythos of Brokkos : Anything - jump through hoops, to graveyard, to hand
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : Artifact/Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Neoform : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Nylea's Intervention : Land, to hand
- Pyre of Heroes : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by type and CMC, to battlefield
- Quest for the Holy Relic : Equipment - to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Reshape the Earth : Land - to battlefield
- Rootless Yew : Creature - tutor by POW or TOU, to hand
- Scheming Symmetry : Anything - to top of library
- Shared Summons : Creature - to hand
- The World Tree : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Treefolk Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Ulvenwald Hydra : Land - to battlefield
- Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire : Anything - to top of library
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Wishclaw Talisman : Anything - to hand
It wasn't entirely clear to me what categories the below cards should go under since they search for specific card subtypes:
- Opposition Agent : ??? (This sort of counts as a 'tutor your opponents decks' card!)
- Runed Crown : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Runeforge Champion : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Sanctum of All : Shrines - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Search for Glory : Snow/legendary/saga - could go under a few sections?
- Spirit of the Aldergard : Land - 'searches for tribal cards'?
Seeing as the three creators of this list haven't been on TappedOut in at least 8 months I'm guessing that this comment won't go anywhere, but at least it's all in one place for people to search for later. I'm happy to help maintain and update this list if I'm given access. (If I haven't heard back in a couple of months then I might look at creating a copy of this list and linking it here for anyone looking for an up-to-date list of tutors.)