|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Oath of the Gatewatch (OGW)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Hissing Quagmire enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add or to your mana pool.
: Hissing Quagmire becomes a 2/2 black and green Elemental creature with deathtouch until end of turn. It's still a land.
Hissing Quagmire Discussion
1 week ago
If you're looking to do spider tribal, perhaps consider Conspiracy and Cover of Darkness ? Conspiracy will let you turn all your creatures into spiders, then you can give them extra evasion with Cover. Also, you may want to add some more dual lands and other useful lands if at all possible. Some examples would be Llanowar Wastes , Hissing Quagmire , Overgrown Tomb , Twilight Mire , and Nurturing Peatland . For tribal synergy, also consider Path of Ancestry as well as, if you can afford the hefty price tag, Cavern of Souls to help protect your spiders.
Another suggestion to capitalize on ETB abilities would be Conjurer's Closet . This lets you flicker a creature at the end of your turns, so you get continuous value! That all said, I like what you have going so far! Hope you have fun with your first deck! :D
1 week ago
- Hissing Quagmire : Enters tapped, I've never used the creature ability, and I can't search it by land name. Big sad.
- Lavaclaw Reaches : (See above)
- Raging Ravine : (See above)
- Treetop Village : (See above)
- Subterranean Tremors : I've really only ever cast this for the artifact removal, @ X=4. My creatures can't handle that much damage, so it is generally a board wipe I don't like, and I would prefer not to lose my artifacts (AKA Crucible of Worlds, which kicks ass in this deck). Therefore, I am replacing this with Vandalblast .
+ 2x Forest
+ Sakura-Tribe Elder : Honestly I don't know what I was thinking not having this in the deck in the first place.
2 weeks ago
I am finally executing on a couple of suggestions some kind reddit people threw my way a while back. In general, this takes the form of removing manlands ( Hissing Quagmire , Lavaclaw Reaches , Treetop Village and Raging Ravine ) and replacing them with more basics. The manlands enter tapped, and that isn't swell, and I can better search for basics than these lands.
I am also going to replace Nesting Dragon with Sakura-Tribe Elder because I have never actually benefitted from the Dragon's landfall ability, and the Elder is always nice to have. Plus, smoothing over my curve is pretty nice.
2 weeks ago
You are welcome, anything to help out a fellow devotion player. To answer your question I would one of each. They both deal with problem cards like Blood Moon , Ensnaring Bridge and opposing planewalkers (of course decay and trophy do the same thing).
The reason for suggesting to remove one abrupt decay and one arena is due to over saturating your deck with effects that care about the converted mana cost of permanents and losing life every upkeep. Don't get me wrong though, both are great. But in grindy matches they can lead to being a dead draw at times.
So removing one decay for Vraska Unseen, gives you a pplaneswalker that acts like a sorcery speed trophy without giving them a land and protects itself.
Removing one arena for Golgari Queen gives you another planeswalker that acts like a sorcery speed decay and allows you to sac excess lands for when you flood out to draw cards and gain life instead of losing life. Both are also alternate win-cons, especially Golgari Queen. If you get Golgari Queen's emblem and swing with an Obliterator they are forced to lose their board. With all of the discard you have they are unlikely to have removal in that instance.
Also, when my devotion deck was GB I ran Hissing Quagmire . Quagmire was helpful as a deterrent due to having deathtouch.
3 months ago
Pretty much. With budget lists its best to pick one thing and commit hard to it, finding as many tier 2+ cards that do that thing as possible.
Make a list of what you want to do turns one-two-three-four and look for cards that let you do that as reliably as possible, with backup options for each turn. With this list it would be (for me) ramp, hand disruption/more ramp, disruption/payoff card.
I favour a grindier playstyle with less threats, so I'd run Hissing Quagmire and chill on the flood plan, but that absolutely isn't for everyone. Dumping a bunch of saprolings on the board then saccing them all wins just as well.
Once you've got that skeleton doing roughly what you want you can start tuning.
3 months ago
- -1 Barren Moor +1 Azorius Signet
- -1 Lonely Sandbar +1 Dimir Signet
- -1 Tranquil Thicket +1 Gruul Signet
- -1 Forgotten Cave +1 Simic Signet
- -1 Secluded Steppe +1 Boros Signet
- -1 Azorius Chancery +1 Coalition Relic
- -1 Boros Garrison +1 Thran Dynamo
- -1 Dimir Aqueduct +1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
- -1 Golgari Rot Farm +1 Wandering Fumarole
- -1 Gruul Turf +1 Raging Ravine
- -1 Izzet Boilerworks +1 Celestial Colonnade
- -1 Orzhov Basilica +1 Creeping Tar Pit
- -1 Rakdos Carnarium +1 Hissing Quagmire
- -1 Selesnya Sanctuary +1 Pentad Prism
- -1 Simic Growth Chamber +1 Riftwing Cloudskate
- -1 Mantis Rider +1 Duplicant
- -1 Psychatog +1 Thought Erasure
- -1 Drooling Groodion +1 Vraska, Relic Seeker
- -1 Ancestral Mask +1 Inferno Titan
- -1 Twisted Abomination +1 Exhume
- -1 Sengir Vampire +1 Animate Dead
- -1 Ravenous Rats +1 Unburial Rites
- -1 Spirit Mantle +1 Angel of Invention
- -1 Brood Butcher +1 Cloudgoat Ranger
- -1 Elephant Guide +1 Verdurous Gearhulk
- -1 Gladecover Scout +1 Terastodon
4 months ago
Well, looking at it, almost every card has an enormously weaker budget option:
- 4x Walking Ballista / Triskelion
- 4x Arcbound Worker / Sparring Construct
- 4x Arcbound Ravager / Arcbound Slith
- 2x Dark Confidant / Pain Seer
- 4x Hangarback Walker / Hooded Hydra
- 4x Steel Overseer / Chronomaton
- 3x Welding Jar / Herbal Poultice
- 1x Animation Module
- 4x Darksteel Citadel
- 4x Forest
- 4x Inkmoth Nexus / Dread Statuary
- 2x Overgrown Tomb / Foul Orchard
- 1x Pendelhaven / Hashep Oasis
- 1x Phyrexia's Core / Claws of Gix
- 3x Wooded Foothills / Evolving Wilds
The deck would suck enormously, but it would be a deck. Are there any better budget options I missed?
5 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
Hissing Quagmire occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.06%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.02%