|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance: Guild Kits (GK2)||Uncommon|
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Uncommon|
|Dragon's Maze (DGM)||Uncommon|
|Promo Set (000)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
Creature — Human Cleric
When Sin Collector enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. You choose an instant or sorcery card from it and exile that card.
Sin Collector Discussion
2 months ago
list of possilbe clerics to consider:
Heliod, God of the Sun - okay, not a cleric, but makes cleric tokens
Alms Collector - good card draw engine in EDH - prevents players from drawing their deck in one go also
Auriok Replica - good sac for anti-commander damage, fits cleric type, colorless to cast. not super amazing, but worth mentioning
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - not all that useful until you gain some life, then amazing removal. and 2/3 deathtouch for 2 isn't bad either
Battlefield Medic - damage prevention based on clerics. nothing to special, but tribal themed, so I mention it here.
Beloved Chaplain - evasion that's hard to top - can't be blocked by creatures, can't be removed by creatures.
Blind Zealot - sacs to destroy target creature when it hits a player, good for general
Cabal Archon - sac outlet? check. Cleric tribal? check. sadistic grin? double check.
Cabal Executioner - on par with blind zealot - lacks the evasion, but doesn't sac to activate. mixed bag, but not horrible
Children of Korlis - sacs to revert life total to start of turn? yes please
Devout Chaplain - most clerics are humans, exile is good. enough said.
Eight-and-a-Half-Tails - good protection for your side of the field.
Entomber Exarch - cleric that can reanimate or force pitch from opponents. not gamebreaker, but solid card with options
Frontline Medic - clerics are indistructable as long as 3 swing? seems good
Giver of Runes - really should be vodka-aunt of runes, but w/e, still good
High Priest of Penance - great to chump with, better with aethreos, best when indistructable
Kor Sanctifiers - decent artifact / enchantment removal on a cleric body, not much else to say.
Leonin Arbiter - the staple of death & taxes and hate bears is, in fact, a cleric. seems useful.
Leonin Relic-Warder - fiend hunter for artifacts & enchantments, not much else to say.
Mikaeus, the Lunarch - cleric that slowly buffs your side
Order of Whiteclay - recusion cleric. not as useful once it gets vigilence, so fair warning.
Pontiff of Blight - mass extort is disgusting. seven toughness is hard to remove.
Ravos, Soultender - recursion + steroids = win
Remorseful Cleric - mass graveyard remval + evasion is good
Shaman en-Kor - this guy is bonkers, and with any form of damage prevention makes your side nigh unkillable
Sin Collector - exiles instants & sorceries, solid card. never returns them either. probably is on a wanted list in some libraries for back charges
True Believer - if you don't want people to target you, ivory mask with legs is a cleric too
Tymna the Weaver - less useful in duels, but solid for mass card draw otherwise
Vile Deacon - cleric tribal lord for black, comparible to doubtless one
Weathered Wayfarer - land tax on legs. still a cleric
Whipgrass Entangler - ghostly prison based on clerics for mana, but single target per use
Whisper, Blood Liturgist - creature recusion that nukes for 6 with general out, or mass reanimation if opponen't don't take it.
Profane Prayers - not an X spell, but cleric tribal nuke seems kinda on-theme.
2 months ago
needs more cleric tribal - I'd ditch the backup Orzhov subtheme ( Basilica Screecher , Crypt Ghast , Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts , & Tithe Taker ) and probably the Regal Bloodlord for some cleric support: Akroma's Devoted , Battlefield Medic , Battletide Alchemist , and Daru Spiritualist come to mind for that. Edgewalker is a must for the colors, and I'd probably ditch the monuments and obilisk of urd for more clerics - Alms Collector and Bygone Bishop give decent card draw, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails , Giver of Runes and Mother of Runes offer amazing protection for your field. Frontline Medic and Selfless Spirit offer indistrucbablity for your own wipes. Sin Collector offers good andi-countermagic / tide-turner removal. High Priest of Penance is just amazing with the recusion this deck should have. Rotlung Reanimator turns all clerics into double duty sac fodder, and Priest of Forgotten Gods , Yawgmoth, Thran Physician , and Whisper, Blood Liturgist are more than happy to supply that role, with Skirsdag High Priest backing them up. and Weathered Wayfarer pulls the same job as Land Tax , but can fetch non-basics, and is a cleric.
4 months ago
Sin Collector isn't standard legal despite what this site says
5 months ago
6 months ago
> weird mashup of ramp into semi-big threats with suboptimal control elements.
That's actually a great definition of what Ponza is all about! I usually describe the deck more like "aggressive ramp into bulk rares that you would never expect could be good in Modern, with an overlay of annoying mana-denial Control", but yours will certainly do. The thing is, it works surprisingly well in many metas.
> besides fetchlands, what activated or triggered abilities are you hoping to stop with Repudiate / Replicate
I actually laid that out in the deck description, but in case you missed it here it is again:
- Opponent transforms a Thing in the Ice? Repudiate the triggered ability and our team stays on the field.
- Opponent wants to make us sac' a creature with Lili, put a Terminus on top with Jace, or ultimate whatever random Planeswalker they have? Repudiate the activated ability and we've totally turned the game around.
- Opponent tries to Modular a ton of +1/+1 counters onto their attacking Inkmoth Nexus, wipe our board with an Oblivion Stone, Equip a Batterskull, Crew a Smuggler's Copter, etc, etc, etc? Repudiate gives us answers (or at least options) we never had in 'normal' Ponza.
Here are more details though, looking at the top meta decks in turn ...
- UR Phoenix: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Awoken Horror . Often good vs. triggers of Snapcaster Mage and Arclight Phoenix .
- Dredge: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Bloodghast and Narcomoeba (if opp has multiple Prized Amalgam in the graveyard) or Prized Amalgam (if there's only one). Often good vs. triggers of Creeping Chill and Stinkweed Imp , and activated ability of Shriekhorn .
- Tron: Often game-changing vs. -X of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon or activated ability of Oblivion Stone . Often good vs. triggers of Wurmcoil Engine , Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger , activated ability of Walking Ballista , Expedition Map , and Relic of Progenitus , and -3 of Karn Liberated .
- Humans: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Kitesail Freebooter , Meddling Mage , Phantasmal Image , and Reflector Mage , and activated ability of Aether Vial . Often good vs. triggers of Champion of the Parish , Noble Hierarch , and Thalia's Lieutenant (plus Anafenza, the Foremost , Deputy of Detention , Kambal, Consul of Allocation , and Sin Collector , if they have them).
- UW Control: Often game-changing vs. actived ability of Celestial Colonnade . Often good vs. +1 (since they're tapped out the next turn) and -3 of Teferi, Hero of Dominaria , and 0 of Jace, the Mind Sculptor (if we think they have a Terminus ).
- Burn: Often good vs. trigger of Monastery Swiftspear and Eidolon of the Great Revel , and activated ability of Grim Lavamancer .
- Hardened Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager and trigger of Hangarback Walker , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. triggered ability of Arcbound Worker , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Steel Overseer , Welding Jar , Animation Module , Throne of Geth , and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Grixis Shadow: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Snapcaster Mage or activated ability of Mishra's Bauble .
- Amulet Titan: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Primeval Titan . Often good vs. trigger of Amulet of Vigor , Trinket Mage and Bojuka Bog , and activated ability of Walking Ballista , Engineered Explosives , Gemstone Mine , Ghost Quarter , Slayers' Stronghold , and Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion .
- RG Rock: Often game-changing vs. +1 and -2 of Liliana of the Veil , +1 and -2 of Liliana, the Last Hope . Often good vs. triggered and activated abilities of Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet , triggered abilites of Tireless Tracker , and activated ability of Scavenging Ooze , Hissing Quagmire , and Treetop Village .
- Whir Prison: Meh. Perhaps good vs. trigger of Bottled Cloister and activated ability of Engineered Explosives , Mishra's Bauble , Tormod's Crypt , Welding Jar , and Inventors' Fair .
- Old-school Affinity: Often game-changing vs. Modular of Arcbound Ravager , Equip of Cranial Plating , and activated ability of Inkmoth Nexus . Often good vs. trigger of Signal Pest and activated ability of Welding Jar and Blinkmoth Nexus .
- Ad Nauseum: Meh. Perhaps good vs. activated ability of Simian Spirit Guide .
- Spirits: Often game-changing vs. trigger of Phantasmal Image , Reflector Mage , and Spell Queller , and activated ability of Mausoleum Wanderer and Aether Vial . Often good vs. trigger of Mausoleum Wanderer , Noble Hierarch , Rattlechains , Geist of Saint Traft , and Deputy of Detention , and activated ability of Selfless Spirit .
All that said, it's clear that in many cases a 2-mana counterspell (e.g., Negate or Mana Leak ) is better than a 2-mana stifle effect ... certainly UW Control has found that to be the case! What's not clear to me yet is if that's the case in UG Control as well ...
7 months ago
For tapping/untapping, consider a Thassa's Ire , which, though it costs more mana to tap/untap than Freed from the Real , it doesn't attach to the creature, so isn't destroyed if Merieke is destroyed/bounced/exiled. You may also want (or maybe not) a Village Bell-Ringer if you want to surprise-flash-uptap to give Merieke (and your other tapped guys) the ability to re-tap and cause mayhem at instant speed.
What are you win conditions? You've got a very controlly build, but how are you going to reduce opponent's health to 0 if they are also playing control, like a Mill or lifegain build? Also, with Detection Tower being your only way through Hexproof/Shroud, you may need to consider more ways to allow Merieke through those barriers.
You may also need to deal with threats before they hit the battlefield--Mereike doesn't protect you against ETB effects, and some of those can be pretty bad--so getting yourself some cards that allow you to selectively remove bad threats from your opponents' hands might give you the edge. Plus, apart from Counterspell and Dissolve , how can you stop enchantments and artifacts with ETB effects from hitting the battlefield? Fortunately, Esper does this kind of control best. Maybe playtest with things like Tidehollow Sculler , Sin Collector , and/or Vizkopa Confessor (this last guy is really nice because Extort will help you get that life back while draining everyone's health--stupidly powerful in a 4-player game). There are other cards that do this too but I'm not remembering them--you have lots of options, especially in Dimir ( Thought Erasure comes to mind, and I thought there was a creature from Guilds of Ravnica that did the same thing but I can't find it atm).
8 months ago
Kitesail Freebooter , Sin Collector or Brain Maggot if you want more Tidehollow Sculler , Anguished Unmaking as a catch all removal witch exiles and the life loss shouldnt hurt as much with kaya, Liliana of the Veil if you end up playing bridge and Castigate , Settle the Wreckage , Warping Wail could be something to consider
8 months ago
What i understood with Fiend Hunter is that when he enters , his first ability triggers then i respond with a Cloudshift to that creature triggering the second ability but the first hasn't resolved yet so, the second resolves and then the first effectively exiling the targeted card forever.
Wouldn't work the same way with Tidehollow Sculler ?? it can discard everything except for lands for 1 less mana which is crucial for early turns. Not the same with Sin Collector because it is slower and only for instants and sorcery's
Sin Collector occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.01%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.0%