Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Human Rogue
Whenever one or more other creatures die (is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, tokens are put into the graveyard before ceasing to exist), draw a card. This ability triggers only once each turn.
1 month ago
Sorry, your follow-up question made me realize I didn't read Nykthos Paragon closely enough the first time.
Since it says "you may", that means you get to choose whether or not to get the counters each time it triggers. So if you don't want to get counters from a particular trigger, you can choose not to do it and wait for another opportunity instead. You don't have to play around with timing or responses, so that means Chaplain's Blessing will work just fine if you choose not to place counters for Oloro's triggger and then cast the Blessing during your main phase.
If Paragon's ability was written to specifically say "this ability triggers only once each turn" like on Academy Wall or Morbid Opportunist, then you'd be stuck with using whatever life-gain event happened first in the turn. The "you may" and "do this only once each turn" in the text of Paragon's ability give you more choice in the matter.
2 months ago
Hey! Coming over from Reddit to give some advice.
First off, some overarching themes that I notice:
Draw vs Card Advantage - A lot of the cards in your "Draw" category don't actually provide any impactful draw, only scrying and cantrips. I'm an enormous fan of Fell Stinger and Thought Sponge. Easily repeatable draw effects that dump cards in your hand. Scry isn't useful unless you're drawing a ton of cards or are doing some topdeck manipulation.
Your creatures are too big - Marchesa appreciates small bodies with big effects rather than big bodies with meh effects. For this reason, I would take out Combustible Gearhulk, Vindictive Lich, Vengeful Ancestor, and Gyruda, Doom of Depths. Playing lots of small, cheaper bodies lets your deck fly under the radar until it pops off. It will also give you more targets for Imperial Recruiter.
Aristocrats style - Marchesa doesn't play like your typical aristocrats deck, Blood Artist isn't very effective when you're only sacrificing 2-3 creatures a turn. It's also counterintuitive to Dethrone. Abusing ETB and LTB effects is more important than slowly draining opponents
Not enough counter distribution - You only have 5 cards under counters and they're all either situational or restrictive. Drop some Thran Vigil type cards in there and you'll go far
Overall, you're too reliant on creatures for draw, removal, etc. Run some efficient draw and removal spells
Next up, cards I recommend removing. I've playtested most of these and they're not nearly as impactful as they seem.
- Blood Artist - Covered this above, you don't want to gain life
- Combustible Gearhulk - Opponents will often just take the damage early game and late game you do NOT want to be spending 6 mana on a 6/6 with no impactful ETB.
- Vindictive Lich - An alright card, not fantastic though. I'm very pressed for 4 drops in my deck so it didn't make the cut.
- Vengeful Ancestor - Not a very impactful card. You're running Kardur, Doomscourge so this card is just overshadowed.
- Gyruda, Doom of Depths - 6 mana to maybe cheat in one creature? Not a huge fan. If you want to replace it with a grave robber effect Puppeteer Clique is better. Still not fantastic, it didn't make the cut in my deck
- Aether Channeler - A fine card, the mode selection is okay. I'm not in love with the effects it gives though
- Morbid Opportunist - Only one draw a turn? Blasphemy
- Woe Strider Free sac outlets are nice, but I find I get overrun with them when I have more than 5 in a deck. Also more expensive just to scry? Not a fan
- Dauthi Voidwalker Will generate so much hate. Unless you can fend off your opponents don't run it
- Faerie Artisans Not the kind of stealing Marchesa likes, tokens aren't the name of the game here. Something like Zealous Conscripts will take you much further
- Phantom Steed Same as above, tokens are nice but this isn't a great card
- Ravenous Chupacabra Too much mana for removal. Black and blue have much cheaper options
There are more that I personally wouldn't run, but that's up to how you like to play your deck.
Now for some cards I would include in every Marchesa deck
- Thran Vigil - Allows you to immediately sac creatures that come back + an extra layer of protection
- Uncivil Unrest - Same as above but you can also give haste to fresh casts. Double damage doesn't hurt
- Fell Stinger - Repeatable, powerful draw on a deathtouch body
- Thought Sponge - Incredible draw engine. Sac it on opponents turns every time it enters and you'll draw AT LEAST 6 cards a turn cycle.
- Iron Apprentice - Great 1 drop, can distribute counters if you're having trouble and is sacrifice fodder
- Rakdos Cackler - sacrifice fodder
- Flayer of the Hatebound - This card gets a bad rap but it's great in Marchesa
- Herald of Secret Streams - Wincon alert! This card sneaks under the radar until you hit someone with 25 unblockable damage
- The Ozolith - Expensive, but who doesn't want to keep their counters for 1 mana!
Of course, please take a look at my deck if you need inspiration. It's pretty casual, but the synergies can be backbreaking if your opponents don't keep you in check. I also have a ton of cards in my maybeboard that I'm considering or have saved for later.
6 months ago
Very cool to see an Aristocrats focused Isshin deck! I don't think I've seen one with this focus yet, so kudos to you. I have a few suggestions that I've used in my Isshin deck, but I think could work even better with an Aristocrats focus:
Scapegoat - Excellent board protection, & gives you a death trigger at a mana efficient rate.
Plumb the Forbidden - Absolute gas draw spell that gets even better with all of your effects that care about death triggers.
Stuff I've used in older Aristocrats/Reanimator:
Mayhem Devil - I love it since it also punishes opponents that are also running sacrifice effects.
Pitiless Plunderer - Turn those deaths into gas
I haven't played Brazen Cannonade yet, but it's something I've had on my radar for my Isshin deck. I think it could fill both modes of Aggro and Aristocrats play you might be aiming for.
Anyways, you have a cool twist that I'm happy to see. I hope it works well for you.
7 months ago
Tome of Legends I will definitely try out, a good 2 mana colorless draw engine is hard to find.
Preston, the Vanisher does have a nice ETB doubler but Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines fills much a similar role. I still haven't figured out which card I can remove from the list, that's the hardest part lmao.
Kaya, Intangible Slayer has really nice abilities and you can use all 3 immediately. Planeswalkers work well in a deck full of board wipes and the card draw for 0 is really nice, the scry one for the opponents is political and not too advantageous.
I love Orzhov because of the 'Death and Taxes' theme. I go easy on the 'taxes' so that opponents worry about each other more than myself. The Gain and Drain is what I use to offset the life loss from artifacts and enchantments and card draw, I avoid increasing the cost of spells since I require fast mana to operate. The 'Death' aspect manifests itself in the form of board wipes and creatures meant to be played directly after a board wipe, most creatures I play offer a lot of value individually to control the board alone or in combination. I am a sucker for either Elesh Norn or cards like Ethereal Absolution.
I checked out your Obzedat deck, it looks like you have a lot of high synergy within your deck. I would recommend Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite because of the group buff/opponents debuff, playgroups tend to hate that card though.
Other card to think about would be:
- Diabolic Intent
- Grave Pact
- Dread Return
- Elesh Norn, Mother of Machines
- Rune-Scarred Demon
- Phyrexian Altar
- Fellwar Stone
- Demonic Tutor
- Sidisi, Undead Vizier
- Morbid Opportunist
Many of those came from my Karador deck, which has a similar creature ETB playstyle. I listed many with the hope at least one will be helpful. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees value in this commander still!
7 months ago
tkjanacek Sorry, half of my message went away. Here it is:
Thank you for your comments and for your card suggestions! :D
7 months ago
tkjanacek Yes, you are right about Street Wraith being only just a replacement. I should keep Theater of Horrors. I've added a Phyrexian Arena too.
I do like that wheeling theme you mentioned, I am considering building an spin-off of this deck running Nekusar, as you suggested hahaha
8 months ago
dunno if you will try to port this type of thing to modern, but for comparison, here are some comparative upgrades you could make
-Searing Blaze?(how important is the scry)
also lands. i wont dive that deep here but ofc the land base standard => modern are quite different
8 months ago
Vindictive Vampire,Bastion of Remembrance,Falkenrath Noble,Blood Artist,Hellrider,Kardur, Doomscourgeand there is alsoImpact Tremorsas extra damage effects.Midnight Reaper,Morbid Opportunist,Skullclampas extra card draw.Legion Warboss,Siege-Gang Commander,Tilonalli's Summoner,Loyal Apprenticeas token generators.Goblin Wardriver,Ogre Battledriver,Hero of Oxid Ridge,First Day of Classas pump effects.Swiftfoot Boots,Lightning GreavesandKaya's Ghostform. Some ramp such asWayfarer's BaubleandBurnished Hart.