This spell costs less to cast if an opponent controls no basic lands.
Destroy target creature.
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , IcyLightning|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Hagra Mauling Discussion
1 month ago
Looking ahead, I think we could add Treasure Vault, but it's also a bit risky.
Anyway, welcome back! Hope everything is going well!
1 month ago
Alright, so since we've last chatted about my Anowon deck, I've overhauled it and even won a game with it! If you haven't had too many troubles with land drops then keep it, or else bump it up one or two more. Idk your budget so I'll just mention what I think works well so you can lmk otherwise.
I'd switch out
Talisman of Dominance
. Def take out
as you don't want to be feeding your graveyard so your meta doesn't take advantage of that.
can be replaced with
. Costs the same, but it'll draw you a card once you're caught up on mana.
Sword of Hearth and Home
is the new
Sword of the Animist
and oh man is it good. The blink plus the untapped land, chefs kiss.
Even though Anowon helps mill, I think the main focus is not to do so much milling and get your attacks in with the side effect being mill. Ironically enough, I won by decking someone after I used
Zareth San, the Trickster
to steal some crazy aura that buffed up my faerie rogue up by +20/+20 to KO the person before lol. If you take a look a mine, my theme seems to be "copying". I want to keep copying that next thing that'll push me forward.
Does your group have a more cEDH or just high powered vibe? Cause that'll change what I might recommend.
is already better than
bc counterspell is just a 1 for 1. Replace with
Pact of Negation
or if your group plays a lot of 1 drops, then
as that'll bring the salt. Keep a counter in hand just for that
Rise of the Dark Realms
Your removal could also use a boost. I would take out
Go for the Throat
Flip and throw in
. You could also see the removal I'm running and possibly switch the mentioned cards for those. You could possibly even add
but M.Rider is the better version of that card.
Board wipes are good, but why crux though? I can understand if that's just what you have, then do it up. If you can, replace with
or just cut it as you already have
which is pretty much the best board wipe. Kudos!
can take a hike, unless you're going to add
Narset, Parter of Veils
. If you're trying to be oppressive that is LOL. You have decent draw already and you wouldn't want to feed your opponent that Realms! If you need to replace then add
(might get destroyed) or
Into the Story
As far as creatures go, make them unblockable with Whispersilk Cloak like you mentioned a while ago. It works wonders. Look at my list and see what I'm running, bc there are so many options. I highly recommend Dauthi Voidwalker . If you're able to put a void counter on "rise" after milling everyone out a bunch, you can sac DV and use it against the card's owner and make them suffer! Because that's what Commander is all about, right? If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'm always down to help and welcome all the advice people give me as well. Wreck your playgroup next time you get together!
4 months ago
Pretty standard elf tribal. Just a few card suggestions.
Wildborn Preserver is a strong add, Toski, Bearer of Secrets is a good card for go-wide decks like this (probably only 1-3 though), the rest of the Skemfar Avengers and Haralds will be important for keeping card advantage.
Removal section! You're in Golgari, the colors of the best removal in the game. Poison the Cup is one of the weaker options. Binding the Old Gods , Heartless Act , Bloodchief's Thirst , all three of those are so much stronger than Poison.
Lands now! Darkbore Pathway Flip is an instant four-of. Faceless Haven (2-3) is also a good idea in a tribal deck, and that means turning your basics into snow lands. Hagra Mauling Flip can help you prevent flooding, but only if you don't mind a tapped land now and then. Having more than 20 lands will help with that. I'd probably recommend 24 for this deck.
Those aren't exactly budget options, so if you're just working with what you have, I understand, and you've done great!
4 months ago
Last couple topics,
I made an assumption and grouped Draw above Damage, and Deathtouch above Token.
Deathtouch 16%, Control 16%, Damage/Life 15%, Recursion 8%, Token 6%, Draw 6%, Discard 2%, Ramp 2%, Land 29%
Further on Card Advantage (which includes draw):
I know why your doing it and the thought process behind it, but here's an alternative perspective.
Your cards like Blood Divination , Costly Plunder , Pitiless Pontiff , Bone Splinters , Final Payment , Severed Strands , Spark Harvest are usually paired with LTB effect (like your damage/life and afterlife abilities), more along lines of Grave Pact (Also Dictate of Erebos , Butcher of Malakir , Dark Prophecy , Nightmare Shepherd , Etc.) or Reveillark / Academy Rector types.
The issue is Blood Divination why not Necropotence ( Greed ) for CMC1 less, and no sacrifice, let's you refill your hand anytime, Grim Haruspex /Etc. Why Spark Harvest / Bone Splinters over Swords to Plowshares or Path to Exile or Mortify or even Bloodchief's Thirst / Generous Gift if your after planeswalkers.
So how are creatures getting into the graveyard, if your not sacrificing them along with other effects, a value engine!! Skullclamp is a necessity, Viscera Seer is strong, Phyrexian Altar (this card is cEDH level though), more things like Priest of Forgotten Gods & Ayara, First of Locthwain . Why sacrifice a deathtouch creature to LTB damage/life when you can Corpse Knight instead and get the value up front? Yahenni, Undying Partisan , Village Rites is ok because its CMC1 and Instant, you don't need tutor in battlecruiser/low (up to power 5), but cards like Diabolic Intent which also feed into things like Mausoleum Secrets are value. Ashnod's Altar , Doom Foretold , Razaketh, the Foulblooded , etc.
Key is value in / value out. Don't waste the value out just to enable your recursion. Value-in, Value-out, then recur. More Immortal Servitude (battlefield), less Soul Salvage (hand). Reanimate / Animate Dead (anyone's graveyards), Unburial Rites , Victimize , Agadeem's Awakening Flip, Revival / Revenge , Command the Dreadhorde , Blood for Bones .
Kinda touched on it, in previous. Control 16% is quite a bit, inline with power level. If you replace Ashen Rider , Bone Splinters , Final Payment , Severed Strands , Spark Harvest . Some should become the "sac outlets", like Skullclamp / Viscera Seer and some just better interactions (Instant speed whenever possible). Anguished Unmaking , Utter End , Swords to Plowshares , Merciless Eviction , Plaguecrafter / Demon's Disciple (Better Fleshbag Marauder unless your utilizing the Zombie part), Shriekmaw , Path to Exile , Generous Gift , Deadly Rollick , Dire Tactics , Hagra Mauling Flip, Unmake there's lots.
If you want to jump on a teams chat or anything when you have some time happy to help, just discord chat me, hopefully something that helps you focus this deck to a 4-5
5 months ago
Hey! I'm happy to share suggestions, as I've thrown out a few ideas and tried to chat about insight so far. You may want to try and isolate cards you're willing to remove - that way you can still feel like the deck is yours, while being open to prospective ideas / outside perspective ya know?
I'll try to make suggestions with budget in mind!
- Get the same effect with a higher upside and immediately get to discard a Dragon. Non-artifact so it's harder to remove. Mid and late-game card-drawing machine with an evasive Dragon.
- This Neheb is too slow and while the synergy is there, it's going to have trouble making a consistent impact. Even an ETB tapped fetch still keeps you getting the color mana you need while (statistically marginally) thinning your deck and cleaning your future draws.
- Overall, these edits reduce your cumulative curve, provide similar (if not more consistent) discard ability, and much higher ceilings for providing value. Evolving Wilds is your 2nd fetch, so you can keep improving the lands you're getting into play. Daretti lets you move through the deck quicker AND has artifact synergies if you choose to lean into that line of play. Chainer is a discard outlet and haste enabler the turn he comes down, so he's already got the same floor as Mad Prophet with the opportunity to be impactful if he stays on the board.
- Since you've enjoyed leaning heavily into the discard aspect, Temple makes a lot of sense for you to have access to a mid or late-game land to ramp a bit. With all these expensive Dragons, I'm sure you've had a turn or two with plenty of un-used mana (I have!), so this gives you a way to maximize the discard AND set yourself up to keep having access to mana!
- The five-mana CMC for a less-efficient Sneak Attack just feels heavy in this build. Adding Landscape gives you another opportunity to pull lands out of your deck and keep having colors on the battlefield - I'm sure you've noticed but the double and triple-pips of the deck can be VERY challenging at times. Being able to get two Mountains (or your two Swamps) will hugely impact your ability to play relevant spells on time. As far as getting one more haste enabler, even with Chainer already in...
- Tyrant is a win-more and a payoff card. It's a fun ambition, but in a deck chock-full of power and crazy cool Dragons, we don't need this. Instead, big Kolaghan comes down much earlier AND hastes our entire squad.
- Courser enables shenanigans and fantastic temporary Commander fun. It's effect can be much more impactful than Thundermaw Hellkite's in the long-run, and essentially acts as another reanimation spell. Thundermaw's effect is pretty narrow, while Courser's lets us go into the graveyard for a more toolbox-like approach, depending on what we've been able to get into the graveyard so far.
- This might be a little bit of personal preference, and with how many ways this deck has to kill opponents' creatures on your turn, I think it provides a great ceiling while also acting as an early-game blocker. Mana that you can do anything with is so precious in this deck, and it happens to synergize nicely with the best addition to this deck in Kaldheim...
- I personally don't think this deck needs to go wide, otherwise you'd be running more cost reduction ( Urza's Incubator , Dragonspeaker Shaman ) as well as Nesting Dragon . Big-mana decks are always going to need mana, and Goldspan makes it in spades.
- This is a different style of play, I'd just rather avoid exiling my Dragons or only getting a single use out of them...for a minimum of 8 mana and two turns. Feldon has more flexibility in coming down quicker and activating sooner. You're packing High Market and Phyrexian Tower here for sac outlets to get rid of the tokens (same as the Dragons from Zirilan realistically), but you're doing it much earlier in the game, or with mana to spare, with no downside of losing a Dragon for the rest of the game.
- Between all of the Dragon ETB damage and the removal suite available to Rakdos, you don't need more removal, I'm sure you've noticed this! Especially cost-inefficient removal. Having more reanimation effects, especially to act as a or flicker effect? There's WAY more flexibility here for how the Dragon reanimator wants to succeed. I agree that more removal is always good though! With that in mind...
- Play faster, and play with more flexibility. Command will give you options based on how the game's playing, and playing at instant-speed ensures you can be more interactive. Along that same line...
- Flexibility in usage! More than likely this will get rid of a troublesome artifact, and wouldn't you know it that some of the best graveyard hate is on artifacts! The graveyard hosing can also be key and, again, playing at instant-speed gives you more opportunities to disrupt opponents. For a high-curve deck like this, that's really important!
- Let's help Rakdos players see that Arena isn't the powerhouse everyone thinks it is! Exploration does EVERYTHING we could need - especially in your build, which has a higher concentration of Dragons, there's a greater likelihood for you to fill your graveyard quicker! Please give this a shot and let me know what you think!
Four of these cards ETB tapped and make you a turn slower, AND they're bad in the late-game since they have little utility. There's no snow synergy here to justify Coldsteel. Having more land ensures you'll hit your drops throughout the game. Wayfarer's lets you keep some ramp (I prefer Expedition Map, but one discussion at a time) while Archive has mana utility and lets you cash in when you have leftover mana. Smooth out your hands, get more consistent draws and turns, and have the ability to draw more cards.
- All of these Dragons in the yard are going to go to waste if you can't get them out onto the field! This is my favorite low-cost reanimator aside from the namesake - if you wanted to make a case for Stitch Together I wouldn't argue it. Being able to get two Dragons out, albeit tapped, ensures you can keep some board presence. It also lets you use up some of those Sneak Attack / token creations in an efficient way. I know losing some card draw feels a bit weird, and based on how the deck's built up, and from what you've described about your playstyle, it sounds like you may have an over-abundance of card-draw and not enough interaction. Hopefully this changes things!
Non-budget upgrade, and more likely to consistently come down untapped and provide the same color flexibility. If budget doesn't allow this edit, I'd say the non-budget move could be Path of Ancestry .
I do think you need to find room for one of the game-winning, mass-reanimators like Living Death or Patriarch's Bidding , or the new Kaldheim one, I'm blanking on the name. I'd take out Scourge of Kher Ridges for it to give yourself a win condition out of nowhere!
Hopefully these ideas help, or at least spark some further ideation for you to think about! If you want to chat about Bladewing in real-time over Discord or Reddit I'm on both sites as ThePillowman :)
6 months ago
After so many people arguing in favor of white's removal suite being the best it's interesting that you pick a deck with primarily non-white removal. It runs almost 100% mono-black removal and some mono blue counters.
Actually proving the point of how bad even White's removal is currently.
And it controls the board state with nearly all mono black cards.
And it's creature suite does include Skyclave Apparition.
I mentioned Skyclave Apparition on another thread about White's current state as being one of the only good new cards in White. And since it's basically a weaker version of Oblivion Ring with legs it's nothing new or interesting for White.
Here is a sample of a Top8 Esper Doom deck not even using White for removal. Which is typical for this deck archetype.
I would argue that if Yorion, Sky Nomad didnt have White in it's casting cost, then the White splash probably would be a different color. You can't be serious using this as an example of how strong White is?
6 months ago
X-Factor11105 - Alright, round two.
So, Hagra Mauling Flip has been a fantastic card. 'Tis an inefficient kill spell, but it acts as a land if it must. The instant speed makes it hit the only mark I have required in a removal slot, yet, being in a deck with a sparsity of lands, it suffices upon another front. I have been adding it to a lot of my black decks, just for the powerful and relevant utility.
Outpost Siege is a fantastic card that I run in a fair few decks, as it allows me an additional card each turn. Sometimes, it exiles a spell I cannot cast or a card that is inopportune for the time, but it primarily exists for me to hit land drops and have some sort of card advantage. I could run the newly-printed Valakut Exploration, which would put cards in the graveyard, but the Siege exists to find me lands, and Valakut Exploration requires lands to draw cards, thus I can no longer play a mana source for the turn. Overall, it is always fine and almost always gives me something I can play.
Upon the card draw lands, these purely exist for the moments in which I have nothing better to do with my mana, or if I have a sparse number of cards in hand. Being in Rakdos colours and being a player who loves drawing cards leaves me desirousof always have an answer or way of advancing my board. I am a player who likes something to always be happening, and these allow for an effectual use of my mana. Castle Locthwain is the first to go in the wake of better land options (looking at you, Blightstep Pathway Flip), but I would recommend these for any deck that can suffer having a colourless land in the mana base.
Well, the Ox of Agonas has been severely average. The most typical course of action is it being discarded early in the game, whereupon it moulders in the graveyard until I have two lands in hand. It is fine card advantage when I need it, but can always be pitched with one of my rummaging effects. I must reiterate this point, rummaging allows me to put whatever I need in the bin whilst filtering through my library. The Ox has been perfectly fine, as I just exile all noncreature cards, but is probably better in a deck more centric to self-mill. I like it for the option is provides, more than anything. As for Anje's Ravager, I have tested with it. This deck tends to have five or six cards in hand most of the time, much due to my playstyle, so an aggressive creature that pitches my hand each turn is not exactly optimal. I prefer it in Canadian Highlander.
Ah, you see, I test around 600 cards whenever I build a deck, Azra Oddsmaker being amongst them. I discard a card, you see, target a creature, thereupon the creature dies to a Path. I am personally athwart to card disadvantage, and this card is overwhelmingly subject to it. The card draw only provided once I get a creature through combat, assuming a big idiot exists on the field or that it even survives the high chance of removal. By itself, a 3/3 gets outclassed incredibly quickly, and it cannot always provide advantage by itself. It requires additional support to be good, and Rummaging Goblin, however horrendous its stat line, always does its job. I played the card in a Canadian Highlander aggro list, and it was severely lacking, thus my opinion of it has carried to commander.
Another long comment, but I do hope this sates your queries.
Good day to you.