Creatures you control gain indestructible until end of turn.
Addendum — If you cast this spell during your main phase, put a +1/+1 counter on each of those creatures and they gain vigilance until end of turn.
|Have (2)||GoblinElectromancer , Taki117|
Printings View all
|Ravnica Allegiance (RNA)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Unbreakable Formation occurrence in decks from the last year
All decks: 0.16%
Commander / EDH:
All decks: 0.01%
Unbreakable Formation Discussion
1 day ago
I did a similar Orzhov (BW) Knights Deck Knights of Exile, though we did some things differently. I went at mine with a Spike mindset, but if you're happy with what you have, I'm all for it.
Cards You Should Remove:
- Kunoros, Hound of Athreos (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
- Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (doesn't synergize with Knights. I had her in an older iteration of my deck but realized she doesn't give any value to my Knights at all. I would recommend swapping her with Gideon Blackblade, better for what you're doing)
- Evolving Wilds (It's not bad, you should understand that you can only pull Swamps and Plains with it)
- Forever Young (The first iteration of my deck had that sort of "bring shit back from the dead" mindset behind it, but I find it's not super effective for what Knights are)
- Tymaret Calls the Dead (doesn't synergize with Knights, just forces you to mill and potentially lose Knights which you're playing)
- Underworld Dreams (doesn't synergize with Knights, not a bad card though)
Cards I Would Recommend:
- Gideon Blackblade (as mentioned, is good for Knights)
- Acclaimed Contender (can help you pull Knights that you need)
- Icon of Ancestry (is a direct buff to Knights, free +1/+1 for playing what you're playing)
- Knights' Charge (synergizes with Knights, is insanely powerful late game. It's more of a synergistic Forever Young)
- Basri's Lieutenant (free Knight generation, is just a really good card for Knights)
- Basri's Solidarity (synergizes very well with Lieutenant)
- Wintermoor Commander (Gets stronger the more Knights you have, can give any creature free Indestructible)
- Tournament Grounds (free Mana for casting Knights)
- Unbreakable Formation (everyone gets Indestructible, and if you cast it during your Main Phase, it helps synergize with Basri's Lieutenant)
Deck Building Tips:
- Constantly be asking yourself "What value does this bring to what I'm playing?" Synergy is fun to play with, but you also have to play around what helps you get to that synergy.
- A bad card that's good when you have another card with it is a deck building trap. I fall victim to it all the time, I tend to read card effects and love the card before I realize what it means to the deck.
- Figure out what your strategy of your deck is. I like playing Midrange, so I tend to play for the lategame with ways to keep me going until then. Another iteration of the Knights deck is Mardu (RBW) that focuses on equipment spells and being Aggro (you play for the early game and want to win as soon as possible). Find your playstyle, and look at ways other people are running that playstyle.
- If all else fails, netdeck. If you didn't know what that was already, it means copying someone else's deck and running it yourself. Many in the MTG community dispute it, but it's not a bad thing to use as a learning tool.
Hope this helps!
5 days ago
If you’re looking to be as competitive as possible, you may want to consider lowering your creature count and adding some non creature spells—specifically instants and enchantments. It’s possible to have a very competitive deck without these things, but very difficult.
Many excellent enchantments exist that excel in tribal builds, and they can typically make each individual creature much more of a threat than it would be on its own. Glorious Anthem is a fine example.
Instants and sorceries can get you out of a jam, or else help keep pressure on your opponent. Unbreakable Formation can save you in a pinch.
There are multitudes of different non creature spells to suit nearly any deck archetype, and they lend a huge edge to competitive builds. Something to consider.
1 week ago
BRG24 Thanks for the reply! I really like Experiment One and Pelt Collector as they will get bigger as the game goes on, but there are a few reasons why I think Servant of the Scale is better in this list. First, when it dies and gives its counters to another creature, I can actually get free counters if I have a Conclave Mentor or a Hardened Scales out which in a way adds a type of protection to the servant which has worked out quite well in the past. Then, the more potent synergy is allowing for a turn 2 4/3 Avatar of the Resolute, something that neither of those 1 drops allow for. Wildborn Preserver is actually quite a unique recommendation and I haven't considered it before. I added the Garruk's Uprising as a replacement for Abzan Falconer for some closing power, but if I find the deck needs more reach, I think I'll experiment with the preserver. I do definitely like playing at instant speed, so I think I may give this creature a go. As for Heroic Intervention, while it is an amazing card, I feel like Unbreakable Formation does fulfill that role of protection while also doubling as a finisher card which helps to save space in this very tight list.
3 weeks ago
I really like Flickerform, Gift of Immortality, Ephemerate, and Conjurer's Closet with Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves. Great ways of protecting him and getting reuse out of his enter the battlefield (ETB) ability!
I also really like Sword of the Paruns. Tolsimir usually wants you to play lots of wolves so that you can use his ability. You can use Sword of the Paruns to boost your wolves on defense when they ETB and fight!
I would recommend maybe replacing Gods Willing, Blessed Breath, Realms Uncharted, Unexpectedly Absent, Inspire Awe, & Stand Firm with Make a Stand, Unbreakable Formation, Rootborn Defenses, Brave the Elements, Swords to Plowshares, & Path to Exile
Heraldic Banner fits the deck really well! Some other good cards in that vein would be Marshal's Anthem, Leonin Sun Standard, Adaptive Automaton, Spear of Heliod, or Vanquisher's Banner. You could replace Shriekhorn, Mindcrank, Conjurer's Bauble, Ghoulcaller's Bell, & Grindclock with the recommendations.
1 month ago
Hey, good budget version of Syr.
Silverblade Paladin's soulbound can change. Give another Knight as well as Silverblade double strike before you can cast Syr. Can then later on be another source of double strike for Syr. Fervent Champion is a one drop Knight who can hold equipment well. Because of haste and reduce cost of equip this guy is a fine later game play as well as early game. Knight of the Ebon Legion is another good one drop Knight who can potentially repeatedly grow at your end step. It's a mana sink and deathtouch makes it a good attacker. Thalia's Lancers can tutor for Embercleave, Shadowspear or another legendary card.
Unbreakable Formation can save your Knights from most board wipes or cast it during your main phase for a big attack. Dolmen Gate can protect Knights in combat; making it difficult for your opponents to want to block your Knights because your creatures will not receive combat damage, but opponents blockers are dealt combat damage by your creatures.
Sun Titan is not a Knight, but has a great ETB/attack ability because he can reanimate a Knight, an equipment, Knights' Charge or History of Benalia which is now a budget card. You can get Gideon Blackblade for much less than $5 from TCGPlayer and he's good with Knights, Titan and -6 is versatile exile. Generous Gift is a versatile instant removal spell in Commander.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Boros Guildgate
- Rakdos Guildgate
- Orzhov Guildgate
- Bloodfell Caves
- Scoured Barrens
- Wind-Scarred Crag
- Venerable Knight
- Belle of the Brawl
- Syr Alin, the Lion's Claw
- Syr Konrad, the Grim
- Open the Vaults
- Crystal Slipper
- All That Glitters
- Accorder's Shield
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Scythe Leopard allows a few more points of damage, especially when you're running fetches. Not as relevant in multiplayer as it is in 1v1 but that sums this deck up entirely really. Ultimately it's a judgment call. Gaining the life from the 1/1s (4/4s) does actually mount up over the course of a game so there's an arguement to be made for them.
I'd need to play test the deck more but Tragic Arrogance seems like a good include if we're consistently only left with 1 or 2 cats. Sometimes I think it'd be better to just wipe the board with something like Hour of Revelation an then go in with a cheap cat that we've got in hand if our strategy is to just rely on 1 or 2 cats. Then that takes us round to thinking more about equipment and your suggestion of Duelist's Heritage, which I think would be a great include. Giving unblockable or some kind of evasion and then going for some kind of cat voltron win would be awesome and probably the best way to see success in multiplayer.
Unbreakable Formation is another great suggestion for when we manage to (kitty) litter the board with cats. I do'nt think it does make the alpha swing risky either because our stuff gets indestructible and vigilance so there's really no downside or risk there.
Great suggestions and if I ever come back to the deck I'll be sure to look into including them.
1 month ago
Hello, this deck looks great! However, I'd like to also know what are your thoughts about these cards:
- Tragic Arrogance - great boardwipe that can surgically keep your best cat and leave worst permaments of your opponents
- Unbreakable Formation - after a few playtests this card proven to not only be another Heroic Intervention but can help finish the game with risky alpha strike
- Duelist's Heritage - another way to give cats (and sometimes opponents' creatures smashing each other) Double Strike is invaluable in this deck
- Charmed Stray / Trained Caracal - I guess that this might be only my preference but I like these cats more than e.g. Scythe Leopard
2 months ago
Thanks DrunkManSquakin666 for the suggestions! I initially thought Anguished Unmaking was a lot more than just 4$ which is why I didn't add it, but now that I know its relatively cheap I am adding it for sure. I'm thinking of taking out Unbreakable Formation for it, as it seems too situational. Sunforger seems like it could be powerful, although I don't have too many cheap instants/sorceries to make it super explosive. This list is more focused on getting a lot of humans out and swinging in for some damage rather than equipment, but I appreciate the idea and I'll think about it.