Creature — Devil
, Sacrifice Torch Fiend: Destroy target artifact.
Printings View all
|Magic 2015 (M15)||Common|
|Magic 2013 (M13)||Uncommon|
|Dark Ascension (DKA)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Torch Fiend Discussion
2 weeks ago
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death was one of the first generals I built a commander deck around and I've been tuning mine ever since.
Replacements I would make
- Replace Dolmen Gate with Reconnaissance since it costs 1 less and also can untap your creatures after damage has been dealt to give them pseudo-vigilance.
- Replace Angel of Invention with Marionette Master since if you get infinite ETBs on marionette master, you can sac the infinite tokens to deal infinite damage.
Other cards I might suggest
- Add Moriok Replica is the best card I have in my Alesha deck, it can draw you so many cards every turn.
- Add Panharmonicon/Flameshadow Conjuring so you can get double ETB triggers.
- Add Torch Fiend and Kami of Ancient Law for repeatable artifact/enchantment removal.
- Add Remorseful Cleric for repeatable graveyard hate.
- Add Magus of the Disk for a repeatable board wipe.
- Add Yahenni, Undying Partisan since he's a free sac outlet that can draw you cards and can also be recurred using Alesha.
Combos I might suggest
- Add Reveillark/Sun Titan + Karmic Guide + a sac outlet + a creature with an ETB trigger like Murderous Redcap = infinite ETBs.
- Add Vesperlark + Felidar Guardian + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Sun Titan + Gift of Immortality + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Zealous Conscripts + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker = infinite hasty pirates.
Cards I recommend ditching:
- Remove Carrion Grub Its basically 4 mana for 4 cards milled, that isn't worth it.
- Remove Sunforger You only have 6 legal Sunforger targets, it isn't worth it to keep it in.
- Remove Dictate of Erebos You don't need this if you can just get a Ravenous Chupacabra out and keep recurring it.
- Remove Mindclaw Shaman This was a card that I found didn't do much when I played it, there are alot of other creatures with better ETB effects.
- Remove Relic Seeker There isn't much of a need to fetch a piece of equipment since you only have Sunforger, Sword of the Animist, and Skullclamp.
Feel Free to check out my RBW Alesha's Beautiful Smile combo deck for ideas.
4 weeks ago
I know you're looking for cuts currently, but one include that compliments your commander extremely well would be Krark's Thumb.
Also your forum post said you want to get things back with reanimator effects, but you don't include Animate Dead or Necromancy. Whip of Erebos and Victimize could also be useful to you. Following off of your forum post, if filling your graveyard is your goal, Mesmeric Orb is a fantastic card for such strategies.
1 year ago
1 year ago
Oh, also, now that you've nixed Torch Fiend , you're a little light on artifact removal. You could swap out Wrecking Ball for Pillage or Violent Impact to remedy that, since your deck is packed with creature removal.
3 years ago
One option is blowing up their Ensnaring Bridge and racing them, after all that card is the biggest asset of the deck.
However doing so is problematic since you need to draw into it, as bridge wont be on the field before turn 3 and they will try to strip the answers out of your hand.
To combat this tactic the best is to use artifact destruction that is useful when not in hand Ancient Grudge, Seal of Primordium, Qasali Pridemage, Torch Fiend are all good answers for it (in this order), while being good against other matchups that rely on artifacts.
Plan B is to just hate on the fact that many of their discard spells need a "target player" - otherwise the 8 racks would punish them just as much as you.
Here is the selesction of cards that offer this effect in modern: Leyline of Sanctity, Witchbane Orb, Ivory Mask, Imperial Mask, Orbs of Warding, Aegis of the Gods, True Believer, Sigarda, Heron's Grace
3 years ago
Your deck is a little top heavy, Id suggest some changes along the lines of:
Rakdos, Lord of Riots is likely to be more relevant than Ob Nixilis, Unshackled simply because it is cheaper to play.
3 years ago
You may want to look into four Timber Gorge, as the ability to produce colors in either/or is a boon for any multi-colored deck. And do your opponents play enough Artifacts to justify Torch Fiend? If they don't, and it's just there as a body, I would recommend Akoum Stonewaker or Makindi Sliderunner as a replacement that fits the Landfall theme you have going on. Alternately Deranged Whelp or Ember-Eye Wolf also fit the same drop point of and aren't expensive to purchase as singles.
3 years ago
If you're really desperate, Kataki, War's Wage is basically the best anti-affinity creature there is.
Otherwise, you just need to know what to remove and when and hope your draws line up well for game one. There aren't too many creatures that just shut down the deck and also have utility in other matchups. You could play like Linvala, Keeper of Silence or Phyrexian Revoker I suppose.