Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
|Pauper Duel Commander||Legal|
Kami of Ancient Law
Creature — Spirit
Sacrifice Kami of Ancient Law: Destroy target enchantment.
5 months ago
I've tried to keep this deck nearly 50% White and 50% Red.
I've narrowed the premise of this deck down to the following categories, 50 Cards to the first, and 10 cards to each other category, give or take.
50% of the Deck is the Commander, Land, Mana rocks, and Draw.
10% is Steal/Keep
10% is Removal/Wipe
10% is Bringing Cards Back
10% is Brion Fodder and Fetch cards
10% is Double Damage and Powerful Flyers
Your comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. That being said, I will probably not be able to afford the more expensive cards Land Tax, Smothering Tithe, Lifeline, Smuggler's Share etc. that are not already in this deck. However - It's still fun to check them out! If you like it, up vote!
With this revision, I've cut many of the fancier, slower dual lands to opt for faster basic lands. I've also added Weathered Wayfarer.
I've made some recent changes to this deck, hopefully to address that mid game I am struggling with tempo, as well as running out of mana to cast the creature or steal spell and have enough to activate Brion's ability. Some cards like Deathrender and Thornbite Staff have been removed (even though they were good in concept) to add more playability.
Fiery Emancipation gives me triple damage. Calamity Bearer works specifically to Brion's sac ability. Angrath's Marauders, Gisela, Blade of Goldnight, Gratuitous Violence all make the damage I do twice as effective.
When creatures I steal die, Stalking Vengeance beefs them. When I summon large creatures into play Warstorm Surge deals damage to my opponent, and when I sac those, Stalking Vengeance hits them on the way out.
Malignus, Serra Avatar, and Soul of Eternity all act as giant bombs to throw at the opponent.
Hofri Ghostforge allows for me to steal an opponents creature, fling it at them with brion, and then keep a spirit copy of that creature.
Magus of the Wheel and Reforge the Soul provide the opportunity to get a fresh hand at my whim. Humble Defector is an easy and fun, card that helps me forge alliances with other players in multiplayer while getting me TWO extra cards per turn.
Skullclamp works perfect with the sacrifice ability and is easy to cast.
Well of Lost Dreams is insane when played late game for Brion's lifelink ability and can be fetched with Hoarding Dragon or Open the Armory Sin Prodder gives me a potential extra card per turn, or the chance for an opponent to take damage to the face... and then I can pull it out of my graveyard later with my other cards! Basically a win/win. Mangara, the Diplomat and Mila, Crafty Companion Flip serve to deter attacks and draw.
Hoarding Dragon serves as a flyer, a sacrifice, and can grab any rocks, Skullclamp, or Well of Lost Dreams.
Open the Armory helps grab Skullclamp, Well of Lost Dreams, or Gift of Immortality.
Recruiter of the Guard is specifically to get Bazaar Trader for the huge advantage of keeping my opponents things, but can also grab Duergar Hedge-Mage for removal or Sin Prodder (amongst a few others). Weathered Wayfarer can grab any land, such as Buried Ruin or Arcane Lighthouse.
Archon of Justice is quite powerful in this deck, as it allows for a flying creature, then a source to sac, and remove a card permanently.
Angel of Serenity gives me the option of 3 recursion or 3 removal.
Duergar Hedge-Mage can be played and replayed in this deck for knocking off annoying enchantments or mana rocks.
Magus of the Disk is one of the board wipes.
Grasp of Fate, Oblivion Ring, and Banishing Light all allow for really flexible removal. Same for Quarantine Field except allows for extra targets for more mana. Chained to the Rocks works the same, but only for creatures. Angel of Sanctions works similarly, but is a creature. Ryusei, the Falling Star really just acts as weenie removal and a sac source from a flyer.
Bringing them Back (and sometimes keep it!):
Adarkar Valkyrie Sac an opponents creature, then get it permanently!
Bazaar Trader Take it with a steal and keep it!
Angelic Renewal Sac my own creature, get it back! Gift of Immortality Sac my own creature, get it back... again, and again!
Emeria Shepherd play a land, get a card! Play a Plains, get a creature to sac!
Mistmoon Griffin Flys, defends, and sac-able, then get back a creature from the graveyard!
Squee's Embrace fun and easy to play, and retrievable with Tragic Poet.
Tragic Poet, a low mana cost creature to get any enchantment in my deck back for any reason. Fun with Squee's Embrace, Angelic Renewal, etc. Returned Pastcaller a flyer that lets me grab a Threaten or Breath of Life. Angel of Serenity gives me the option of 3 recursion or 3 removal.
Stealing their Creatures:
Captivating Crew steals every turn! No wasted card space here, just a reusable sorcery.
Conquering Manticore powerful flyer, that steals!
Zealous Conscripts You can steal anything! Anything! Lands? Mine. Artifacts? Mine. Works great with Bazaar Trader.
Act of Treason, Portent of Betrayal, and Threaten are all basic steal spells.
Malevolent Whispers, Mark of Mutiny, and Traitorous Instinct all give me steal with buffs for Flinging.
Harness by Force allows for more than one thing to be taken if the extra cost is paid!
1 year ago
I quit magic maybe 23 years ago because of power creep. I remember seeing Kami of Ancient Law and thinking “wait...so it’s a disenchant that’s also a 2/2?” After being away for that (and narrowly avoiding returning once again due to the mana burn change) I was lured back again by some new friends who had also played and quit magic numerous times. It was enjoyable to an extent, but when I gave EDH a try it really struck a chord with me. EDH decks were vehicles for misfit cards that would otherwise be doomed to eternal exile. They were also an opportunity for me to (for lack of a better term) paint pictures of the things I loved about magic. Bringing those decks to game nights promptly sorted out who I’d be playing with; people who liked to talk about magic (and all sorts of other stuff) while playing it and people who didn’t. People who were interested in that social aspect were almost always also relaxed enough to enjoy the weird stuff I would put in my decks, and not be furious if I accidentally backed into a victory. The people who didn’t want to talk were completely disinterested in my decks, and almost resented having to play against them as they weren’t good tests for what they were building. I made a point of never being negative towards them for that, because that is 100% part of magic, and there were plenty of times where they would actually come around other nights to see how I’ve been and ask me what I’ve been building. Great people! But the people who rank winning above all else are going to do just that. And when you strip the social pieces away from magic...that’s really all that there is left. To be clear: that has been 99% of M:tG since the 1990s. It’s not wrong. Winning is why people play games. I’ve started playing arena this past six months or so and it’s fun...but it REALLY made it clear to me just how important the social interaction is for me. MTGO sounds to me like arena but even more arena-ey. While it may be good for testing ideas and getting a quick magic fix...it’s not going to be the same as finding a consistent group that can roll with the punches/ride the waves/whatever. To close it all out: online magic doesn’t appear to me to do anything other than scratch the win-at-all-costs itch. It seems more and more likely (for me) that casual play basically isn’t possible without significant social back and forth. Or maybe I’m just bitter that it’s so damn hard to make a haunted house deck in brawl.
2 years ago
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death was one of the first generals I built a commander deck around and I've been tuning mine ever since.
Replacements I would make
- Replace Dolmen Gate with Reconnaissance since it costs 1 less and also can untap your creatures after damage has been dealt to give them pseudo-vigilance.
- Replace Angel of Invention with Marionette Master since if you get infinite ETBs on marionette master, you can sac the infinite tokens to deal infinite damage.
Other cards I might suggest
- Add Moriok Replica is the best card I have in my Alesha deck, it can draw you so many cards every turn.
- Add Panharmonicon/Flameshadow Conjuring so you can get double ETB triggers.
- Add Torch Fiend and Kami of Ancient Law for repeatable artifact/enchantment removal.
- Add Remorseful Cleric for repeatable graveyard hate.
- Add Magus of the Disk for a repeatable board wipe.
- Add Yahenni, Undying Partisan since he's a free sac outlet that can draw you cards and can also be recurred using Alesha.
Combos I might suggest
- Add Reveillark/Sun Titan + Karmic Guide + a sac outlet + a creature with an ETB trigger like Murderous Redcap = infinite ETBs.
- Add Vesperlark + Felidar Guardian + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Sun Titan + Gift of Immortality + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Zealous Conscripts + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker = infinite hasty pirates.
Cards I recommend ditching:
- Remove Carrion Grub Its basically 4 mana for 4 cards milled, that isn't worth it.
- Remove Sunforger You only have 6 legal Sunforger targets, it isn't worth it to keep it in.
- Remove Dictate of Erebos You don't need this if you can just get a Ravenous Chupacabra out and keep recurring it.
- Remove Mindclaw Shaman This was a card that I found didn't do much when I played it, there are alot of other creatures with better ETB effects.
- Remove Relic Seeker There isn't much of a need to fetch a piece of equipment since you only have Sunforger, Sword of the Animist, and Skullclamp.
Feel Free to check out my RBW Alesha's Beautiful Smile combo deck for ideas.
2 years ago
I played a lot in the 90s, then lost interest in the themes and power levels: mirrodin had junk like Arcane Spyglass that looked too sci-fi, and kamigawa had junk like Kami of Ancient Law which was a Disenchant that was also a 2/2. Bananas. Anyways, I came back eventually, only to find out that they got rid of mana burn and the power creep has continued. Left for a little longer, and then found out about commander/EDH. This format has made it possible for me to get back into M:tG full-time. It’s got a great population of relaxed players, I love messing with theme decks, and it’s a great perspective to watch new card sets from. Now that you know some of my history/perspective: please let me know if you ever have questions about anything!
3 years ago
I'd make room for:
- Gelid Shackles (and run all snow plains)
- Bonds of Faith (if it's a human just tutor a different one)
- Compulsory Rest (its fine)
- Crown of Awe (backup)
- Luminous Bonds (pacifism is strong even at 3cmc)
- Revoke Privileges (^)
- Bound in Silence (^^)
- Caught in the Brights (^^^)
.. by taking out:
- Mortal Obstinacy (very meh, even for removal)
- Lifelink (nice but not needed at the most competitive place, which you're going for)
- Empyrial Armor (ethereal armor and some others are enough, just extra)
- Chosen by Heliod (cantrip is not worth tutoring for this meh)
- Armillary Sphere (is only used for colorfixing in decks with lots of colors and no green)
- Apothecary Geist (I understand you need tutor triggers but you've got plenty and this is your worst spirit)
- Shinen of Stars' Light (meh)
- Kami of Ancient Law (meh)
4 years ago
- Koskun Falls More taxing effects are great for this deck.
- Comeuppance An instant speed punish for someone wanting to go all in against us.
- Crush Contraband Artifact and Enchantment spot removal, much needed addition.
Cleansing Meditation Enchantment board wipe that will usually bring all of our enchantments back.
- Thunderstaff Too slow and isn't overly useful for us since we don't go wide on the board as much, however may come back if I feel like giving our opponents creatures a +1/+0 will help us end the game sooner.
- Virtus the Veiled Not enough evasion effects in the deck to make running this guy worth it.
- Kami of Ancient Law Needed better removal; swapped out for Crush Contraband .
- Dark Petition Not enough instants and sorceries to always hit the spell mastery in this deck.
4 years ago
I thank you for your comment.
As for Comeuppance , what a great card in here! I'll likely replace Virtus the Veiled with that. I don't see me ever really connecting to a player with him to make it worthwhile unless I have Break Through the Line on the field.
As for having a board wipe, I've honestly been thinking of replacing Magus of the Disk with Merciless Eviction . But since it hits everything I'm worried it would put me so far behind on the board. What board wipes would you recommend for this style of play?
4 years ago
Love the deck with it's niche playstyle and flavor. But sir, Melesse Spirit has spirit in the name, but is an angel by subtype, rendering a lack of synergy with the commander. Kami of Ancient Law is a nice removal creature and is synergistic with the commander, so it might be a more suitable replacement. +1 from me, i love the chaos.