Retreat to Kazandu
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, choose one —
- Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
- You gain 2 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Retreat to Kazandu Discussion
1 month ago
Powerleech : would be great
Quiet Disrepair , Retreat to Hagra , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot , Grazing Gladehart , Kazandu Nectarpot , Lifegift : Landfall and upkeep triggers. Run a land ramp package thanks to green to capitalize on these effects. Very budget friendly options
2 months ago
Combo lines; Commander + Life and Limb / Ambush Commander / Natural Affinity + any sac outlet like alter of dementia (this one is actually game winning) gives you infinite etb and death triggers plus infinite mana. Ways to finish the game after that include Walking Ballista / Goblin Cannon , Soul of the Harvest / Fecundity / Staff of Domination to draw your entire library, Season of Growth / Path of Discovery to scry your way to another wincon, Seed the Land , Genesis Chamber , Scute Swarm , Zendikar's Roil for infinite tokens, Baru, Fist of Krosa for infinitely huge trample creatures, Essence Warden / Retreat to Kazandu for infinite life then hit people with a Squall Line
4 months ago
4 mana for even 3 3/3 beast tokens is decent. Your current list already contains Arasta of the Endless Web , and I love that it can help start the loop with Ghost Town if you have the right setup. A couple other token generating spells for surprise factor are Ezuri's Predation , Fresh Meat , and Caller of the Claw .
Dawnglade Regent not necessarily a big finisher, but monarch is another nice way to get card draw and the hexproof for your creatures is nice. Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is also nice, but a bit pricey.
The Tireless Tracker clues stick around so they're just there when you have spare mana that you don't want to go to waste which is again better than the one opportunity per landfall with Seer's Sundial and the tracker can get bigger as you sacrifice the clues. I especially like that the tokens trigger Kodama and if the land you put into play can tap for 2 mana you can sac a clue to draw a card which may draw you more land to put into play from Kodama triggers.
Quirion Ranger can help provide a clutch blocker or that one extra mana you need for some spell. I like that it helps you have more land in hand for landfall triggers off of Kodama. Since Ashaya makes your creatures into forests they can tap for mana so they all become targets for Quirion Ranger to untap.
Kamahl’s Will does seem like a decent fit for this deck as a way to go wide and removal. Territorial Scythecat seems okay similar to the running a Managorger Hydra but takes a bit to build up. Shifting Ceratops it has some versatility, but I'm not sure what you want this for in a landfall deck. Primeval Bounty is currently in your list here on tappedout. Branching Evolution not sure your strategy is putting a lot of counters on stuff, more dropping lots of tokens on the fiel. Fertilid synergizes well with Retreat to Kazandu . Garruk's Uprising again I don't think you're usually putting a lot of big creatures into play to benefit from the trigger. Court of Bounty seems better than Colossal Majesty and has an added benefit. Reclamation Sage is great, and I'm also interested in the new 2-drop Masked Vandal since it exiles stuff, and another budget tutor for these low cost utility creatures is Woodland Bellower .
=== other card options ===
- Shaman of Forgotten Ways can be a nice alternate way to win.
- Ancient Greenwarden it's Crucible of Worlds on a body, doubles landfall triggers, and has reach (I like referring to reach as dunking).
- Bramble Sovereign solid value, decent size body, can be used politically.
- Shared Summons solid budget tutor.
- Scapeshift could be game ending if you're getting the right landfall triggers.
- Regal Behemoth monarch and more mana.
- Mana Reflection MOAR MANA!
- Path of Discovery could help dig more land per Kodama trigger if landfall is generating token creatures.
- Blighted Woodland could be better than or just a nice addition to Myriad Landscape
- Greater Good is usually pretty solid card advantage in green especially if someone is about to deal with your commander or big bad or board wipe.
- Fecundity is great card advantage in go wide strategies if your deck runs a hand-full of sac outlets.
- Eldrazi Monument is fun if you can generate enough tokens or animate enough lands, just imagine a bunch of flying elemental forests that are indestructible beating down your opponents.
- Parallel Lives is much pricier than I remember.
- Evolutionary Leap is always a nice kind of card advantage in token decks, but still nice to sac non-tokens if they're about to die anyways.
- Beastmaster Ascension is a nice buff in wide strategies.
- Apex Altisaur could be a useful thing to get with your Magus to wipe out some creatures.
- Force of Vigor another great option for removal.
- Genesis Wave is always a solid way to spend lots of mana.
4 months ago
6 months ago
CUT CUT CUT...
...cut all the "whenever you cast"...
...drop all the landfall triggers...
-1 Trench Behemoth... was not impressed with this dude
...cut the rando fatties or the swing-mores... (all you need is 1xAkroma's Memorial and ur good)
...you should be counting power or developing draw before your board snowballs, not after...
-1 Tishana, Voice of Thunder... (this is better in a token deck).
-1 Thought Reflection...slow!
-1 The Magic Mirror...slow!!
-1 Mind Unbound...slow!!!
-1 Irencrag Pyromancer... only good if u can consistently draw-on-demand.Mi
-1 Argentum Armor... slow.
-1 As Foretold... slow! (remember when I was waiting to suspend for 4 turns on turn 3?)
7 months ago
My advice is consider cutting a few land ramp spells and adding some repeatable draw sources such as Valakut Exploration, Garruk's Uprising and Tireless Tracker. Exploration uses landfall to play cards from the top of your library including lands. It can also be graveyard fuel for Trove Warden, Sun Titan and Emeria Shepherd. Uprising is an amazing budget card in Commander with creature strategies especially with Omnath, Locus of Rage and Rampaging Baloths since it triggers when a token is created. Tracker, Mystery Booster version, creates clues with landfall and clues can sac to draw.
Crop Rotation can tutor for any land which is nice with Bounce lands, Fetch lands, Kessig Wolf Run and Gavony Township. Emeria Angel and Scute Swarm are build your own army with landfall which is very good with Doubling Season, Felidar Retreat, Township and Beastmaster Ascension.
Cinder Glade and Canopy Vista are some land upgrades for the manabase because they have good interaction with lots of basic lands and they're two different land types. Farseek, Nature's Lore, Grasslands, Mountain Valley can search for one of these dual lands. Krosan Verge and Skyshroud Claim can get both of them. These Battle lands are $2 or less each at TCGPlayer. Exotic Orchard is a budget Rainbow land that's quite good in multiplayer Commander.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Gruul Guildgate
- Selesnya Guildgate
- Boros Guildgate
- 1x Forest
- Awakening of Vitu-Ghazi
- Beanstalk Giant
- Nissa's Renewal
- Far Wanderings
- Circuitous Route
- Rampant Growth
- Retreat to Kazandu
Good luck with your deck.
8 months ago
if you added Fertilid, Retreat to Kazandu and Gyre Engineer you can go infinite mana i believe with Retreat to Coralhelm. i know its alot but thats always an option still for a budget. deck looks great though man
9 months ago
Thanks Profet93 :). I like your questions! They makes me reconsider card assessments formed long ago. Let’s dig into our new ones:
- Yavimaya Hollow: a card I like and play in other decks. I also considered it for this deck several times. However, every time I do I feel it just does not belong in this deck. I think the reason why I feel that way is because it’s not the creatures that need protecting most of the time (or that I don’t want to focus on protecting them). Opponents could kill Mina and Denn, Wildborn sure. But they are just an enabler for the deck. Not a key piece, like in decks where I do run Hollow. The deck does not really have many vital pieces like that. On certain moments, yes, hollow will save that one creature you needed for the explosive play, so I do agree it would be a useful include. I just don’t think it is necessary or used very often. A bit like Kessig Wolf Run maybe. To be honest, the threshold of getting one in FOIL also contributes to a feeling of resistance nowadays. However, I can totally see anyone swapping out Spikefield Hazard for Yavimaya Hollow if they feel differently. It might be a good idea to test this one again just to see what happens.
- If I’d cut Retreat to Kazandu now - which I won’t ;) - I’d probably go for another 2-mana ramp piece or put Krosan Tusker back in. I did just put in Rampant Growth in the last update, so I’m already up a ramp piece (5 now) to skip a turn for M&D. Sol Ring is a no go for me because of the total lack of synergy. Life from the Loam was cut in the last update for Ancient Greenwarden and the deck does not need a 4th effect like that I think. Eternal Witness is nice to have, especially with all the green creature tutors, so that is also a valid choice. Has creeped up on my maybe list rank recently because of Valakut Exploration. Depending on your meta, you can also consider something like Vexing Shusher for the spot.
- Ancient Tomb: I have a similar opinion on this land compared to hollow and kessig wolf run. They all provide a little something for the deck, but creating a spot for them is just terrible. Apart from Spikefield Hazard there are no lands I am willing to cut atm. Blast Zone has been a strong answer on a land so far that’s easily found. Khalni Garden has a lot of applications and synergy, Radiant Fountain I like for the same reasons as Retreat to Kazandu. Cryptic Caves and Temple of Abandon get you out of dead situations, which I value more than the benefits of the competition. Most other lands feel like they are kind of set in stone now.