Retreat to Kazandu
Landfall — Whenever a land enters the battlefield under your control, choose one —
- Put a +1/+1 counter on target creature.
- You gain 2 life.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Retreat to Kazandu Discussion
1 month ago
Other Cards that you could consider cutting
- Ondu Giant => Seedguide Ash this card is one more mana expsive and has to die inorder to get the lands, but could be such a good upside. This dieing with your commander reads ramp 3 draw 3 cards and gain 3 life
- Soratami Mirror-Guard I get what you are doing here, but I feel like there are better payoffs for this
- Timbermaw Larva => Rampaging Brontodon trample is 1,000% better on this card
- Wakeroot Elemental 5 greens for a 5/5? way overcosted
- Wave-Wing Elemental again similar argument to Windrider Eel not that big of an impact
- Wild Wanderer good but could have better options
- Aetherflux Reservoir I know this is good in commander but why? No synergy at all, there has to be a better card slot here
- Elixir of Immortality I used to put this in all of my decks too, but it is counter productive to your stragay with cards like Splendid Reclamation and The Mending of Dominaria
- Wayfarer's Bauble There is better ramp than this in green
- I see why you have Jiang Yanggu but I feel like there is stronger cards than that. I cut the card to tutor Journey for the Elixir for him sorry :(
- There are a bunch of other better than Ranger's Path you could add, I'll show them in the recommendations
- Future Sight and Ominous Seas both seem strange here. I get future sight can draw cards, BUT I feel you should use mana sinks rather than off the top of your library draw
- Ghostly Flicker is on thin ice, like yes you have all the etb creatures but sometimes it is a dead card. meh at best?
Other Cards that you could consider adding
This is where the fun begins and your wallet cries
- You want Nissa, Who Shakes the World great card, it is a mana doubler ramp, and also you just win with the ultimate
- I heard you like ramp try Tireless Provisioner and pick up one for me while you are at it please
- Here is a gaint list of green ramp Harrow , Growth Spiral , Explore , Khalni Heart Expedition , Roiling Regrowth , Grow from the Ashes , Urban Evolution , Migration Path , Natural Connection , Nissa's Renewal , Nylea's Intervention , Spring / Mind , Animist's Awakening , Omen of the Hunt
- Keeping your life total at a high level Kazandu Nectarpot , Grazing Gladehart , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot
- Mana Sinks, you are going to have a lot of mana, might as well do something with it Kamahl's Druidic Vow ummm.... yes? Kefnet the Mindful one of my favorite Gods, that doesn't have a place. I look forward to getting attacked by him Sprout Swarm it is really easy for this card to be "free"
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more la
3 months ago
Well, Selesnya Sanctuary might bounce a land, but it taps for 2, so next turn you not only have less lands out, you have the same mana (and have some fixing), and you definitely have another land in hand if you need to play a big drop later. If you use Karoo lands, you lose the land, but you aren't down any mana. As for Ohran, I was thinking a singleton as a finisher, as it can both draw lots of cards and clear out blockers, both things you probably want. I'm trying to think of some good card draw options that fit in here, white has nothing I can think of that fits, and green tends to need a big creature out, or lots of creatures.
Rebuff vs Mana Tithe is a decent question, but I think the two serve different purposes. Mana Tithe mostly hits efficient plays, and removal plays tend to be cheap and leave mana to pay it. Mana Tithe becomes dead quickly most games though, while Rebuff can stay relevant.
I can explain some of what Knight of the Reliquary can do for you. It excels in a deck that runs lands that are high value, up to Gaea's Cradle type stuff, but there are many great lands out there that can take over the game that aren't $1k. It can easily fix you with a The World Tree , and all the while it keeps growing. You might also want some landfall payoffs like Felidar Retreat or Retreat to Kazandu , there are tons out there. If you fetch out a Sanctuary, note it will still bounce a land, and thus Reliquary can set up Knight of the White Orchid to fetch a land for you and actually get you ahead on mana, and that fetched Plains can then be sacrificed for a better land later. If you can bounce, flicker or otherwise repeat the Knight, you might actually end up pretty far ahead, as long as you expect your opponents to hit their land drops. You can also find lands that make creatures with Reliquary, or go big with Dark Depths as a finisher, it's an extremely versatile card, and has big synergies with a ton of stuff like Crucible of Worlds to generate big mana enabling quick wins. Even without leaning too hard into it's traditional uses, just using it as a Knight it seems like a good card, and I feel like you need more creatures in here anyways.
If you keep Knight of the White Orchid I would remove the ramp spells for Reliquaries, I think you have enough lands to hit 3 mana safely.
Hope some of this was helpful!
5 months ago
Powerleech : would be great
Quiet Disrepair , Retreat to Hagra , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot , Grazing Gladehart , Kazandu Nectarpot , Lifegift : Landfall and upkeep triggers. Run a land ramp package thanks to green to capitalize on these effects. Very budget friendly options
5 months ago
Combo lines; Commander + Life and Limb / Ambush Commander / Natural Affinity + any sac outlet like alter of dementia (this one is actually game winning) gives you infinite etb and death triggers plus infinite mana. Ways to finish the game after that include Walking Ballista / Goblin Cannon , Soul of the Harvest / Fecundity / Staff of Domination to draw your entire library, Season of Growth / Path of Discovery to scry your way to another wincon, Seed the Land , Genesis Chamber , Scute Swarm , Zendikar's Roil for infinite tokens, Baru, Fist of Krosa for infinitely huge trample creatures, Essence Warden / Retreat to Kazandu for infinite life then hit people with a Squall Line
7 months ago
4 mana for even 3 3/3 beast tokens is decent. Your current list already contains Arasta of the Endless Web , and I love that it can help start the loop with Ghost Town if you have the right setup. A couple other token generating spells for surprise factor are Ezuri's Predation , Fresh Meat , and Caller of the Claw .
Dawnglade Regent not necessarily a big finisher, but monarch is another nice way to get card draw and the hexproof for your creatures is nice. Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger is also nice, but a bit pricey.
The Tireless Tracker clues stick around so they're just there when you have spare mana that you don't want to go to waste which is again better than the one opportunity per landfall with Seer's Sundial and the tracker can get bigger as you sacrifice the clues. I especially like that the tokens trigger Kodama and if the land you put into play can tap for 2 mana you can sac a clue to draw a card which may draw you more land to put into play from Kodama triggers.
Quirion Ranger can help provide a clutch blocker or that one extra mana you need for some spell. I like that it helps you have more land in hand for landfall triggers off of Kodama. Since Ashaya makes your creatures into forests they can tap for mana so they all become targets for Quirion Ranger to untap.
Kamahl’s Will does seem like a decent fit for this deck as a way to go wide and removal. Territorial Scythecat seems okay similar to the running a Managorger Hydra but takes a bit to build up. Shifting Ceratops it has some versatility, but I'm not sure what you want this for in a landfall deck. Primeval Bounty is currently in your list here on tappedout. Branching Evolution not sure your strategy is putting a lot of counters on stuff, more dropping lots of tokens on the fiel. Fertilid synergizes well with Retreat to Kazandu . Garruk's Uprising again I don't think you're usually putting a lot of big creatures into play to benefit from the trigger. Court of Bounty seems better than Colossal Majesty and has an added benefit. Reclamation Sage is great, and I'm also interested in the new 2-drop Masked Vandal since it exiles stuff, and another budget tutor for these low cost utility creatures is Woodland Bellower .
=== other card options ===
- Shaman of Forgotten Ways can be a nice alternate way to win.
- Ancient Greenwarden it's Crucible of Worlds on a body, doubles landfall triggers, and has reach (I like referring to reach as dunking).
- Bramble Sovereign solid value, decent size body, can be used politically.
- Shared Summons solid budget tutor.
- Scapeshift could be game ending if you're getting the right landfall triggers.
- Regal Behemoth monarch and more mana.
- Mana Reflection MOAR MANA!
- Path of Discovery could help dig more land per Kodama trigger if landfall is generating token creatures.
- Blighted Woodland could be better than or just a nice addition to Myriad Landscape
- Greater Good is usually pretty solid card advantage in green especially if someone is about to deal with your commander or big bad or board wipe.
- Fecundity is great card advantage in go wide strategies if your deck runs a hand-full of sac outlets.
- Eldrazi Monument is fun if you can generate enough tokens or animate enough lands, just imagine a bunch of flying elemental forests that are indestructible beating down your opponents.
- Parallel Lives is much pricier than I remember.
- Evolutionary Leap is always a nice kind of card advantage in token decks, but still nice to sac non-tokens if they're about to die anyways.
- Beastmaster Ascension is a nice buff in wide strategies.
- Apex Altisaur could be a useful thing to get with your Magus to wipe out some creatures.
- Force of Vigor another great option for removal.
- Genesis Wave is always a solid way to spend lots of mana.
8 months ago
10 months ago
CUT CUT CUT...
...cut all the "whenever you cast"...
...drop all the landfall triggers...
-1 Trench Behemoth... was not impressed with this dude
...cut the rando fatties or the swing-mores... (all you need is 1xAkroma's Memorial and ur good)
...you should be counting power or developing draw before your board snowballs, not after...
-1 Tishana, Voice of Thunder... (this is better in a token deck).
-1 Thought Reflection...slow!
-1 The Magic Mirror...slow!!
-1 Mind Unbound...slow!!!
-1 Irencrag Pyromancer... only good if u can consistently draw-on-demand.Mi
-1 Argentum Armor... slow.
-1 As Foretold... slow! (remember when I was waiting to suspend for 4 turns on turn 3?)
11 months ago
My advice is consider cutting a few land ramp spells and adding some repeatable draw sources such as Valakut Exploration, Garruk's Uprising and Tireless Tracker. Exploration uses landfall to play cards from the top of your library including lands. It can also be graveyard fuel for Trove Warden, Sun Titan and Emeria Shepherd. Uprising is an amazing budget card in Commander with creature strategies especially with Omnath, Locus of Rage and Rampaging Baloths since it triggers when a token is created. Tracker, Mystery Booster version, creates clues with landfall and clues can sac to draw.
Crop Rotation can tutor for any land which is nice with Bounce lands, Fetch lands, Kessig Wolf Run and Gavony Township. Emeria Angel and Scute Swarm are build your own army with landfall which is very good with Doubling Season, Felidar Retreat, Township and Beastmaster Ascension.
Cinder Glade and Canopy Vista are some land upgrades for the manabase because they have good interaction with lots of basic lands and they're two different land types. Farseek, Nature's Lore, Grasslands, Mountain Valley can search for one of these dual lands. Krosan Verge and Skyshroud Claim can get both of them. These Battle lands are $2 or less each at TCGPlayer. Exotic Orchard is a budget Rainbow land that's quite good in multiplayer Commander.
Cards to consider cutting:
- Gruul Guildgate
- Selesnya Guildgate
- Boros Guildgate
- 1x Forest
- Awakening of Vitu-Ghazi
- Beanstalk Giant
- Nissa's Renewal
- Far Wanderings
- Circuitous Route
- Rampant Growth
- Retreat to Kazandu
Good luck with your deck.