Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Creature — Beast Horror
When Ravenous Chupacabra enters the battlefield, destroy target creature an opponent controls.
2 months ago
Well, I had a bit of time so I took another look!
I feel like Bond of Revival isn't enough value for 5 mana, and the effect probably doesn't scale especially well. Disentomb seems small, I would usually prefer to have a more impactful card, and a 1 drop that you can't play early is often annoying in my experience. I'm not sure why you're using Expanded Anatomy, I doubt you'd miss it. Introduction to Prophecy is really bad if you have access to Black spells, paying a few life to get more cards in hand is a good deal. Do you have big enough creatures to justify Thud in here? If you don't expect to have a huge creature (power high enough to kill a player with a decent life total) I'd cut it. Ebony Charm seems like a strange choice, the evasion isn't the best and the exile effect feels very small for Commander, where you usually want effects that deal with an entire Graveyard (if not everyones). Effects like Enthusiastic Study aren't usually very good, and Learn doesn't work so you just loot IIRC, which isn't enough added value. If you're going to run Get the Point I think you should look at stuff like Ravenous Chupacabra, Nekrataal, either kills something but each leaves a body you can sacrifice, and both cost less mana. Same with Reach of Shadows, there are wildly better cards you could use that are still cheap. If you're going to sacrifice a creature for Rescue From the Underworld I think you could just run Victimize, it's bigger and less mana.
I'm looking through here and I've noticed you have a relatively large number of single target single card discard effects, in my experience these scale very poorly in multiplayer. I think you could keep the best one or two, but you don't need so many of them I feel.
Another potential issue here is that you have a LOT of redundant sacrifice outlets, I'm not sure you really need that many when you have your Commander, I think I would look for cards that offer a payoff for sacrifices, there are lots of cards in Rakdos that care about death triggers, any of them is probably better than something like Voracious Null when your Commander offers a great sac outlet.
I'm not sure if you'll really have problems or not, but if you find you are short of mana you could probably add a few mana rocks, Rakdos Keyrune is pretty versatile, Phyrexian Totem is potentially a creature as well. There are Charcoal Diamond and Fire Diamond, there is Mind Stone, and many more that are 2 or 3 mana. I find decks that have enough lands are probably better in most situations, but having a few mana rocks can be good sometimes.
3 months ago
DreadKhan ty again for the advices! , the good part is that i have almost every card that you mentiioned. To improbe or change the deck i need to play more. I need to know if taking out some creature killing spells will improbe the deck or not. I also want to continue with the creature killing theme in this deck.
i have almost all the discard spells that you name, but again i would need to take some removal.
4 months ago
scotchtapedsleeve Thank you for the reply!
Fell Stinger is cool, but they also just printed Triarch Praetorian! I guess I was worried that cards like this wouldn't have targets when they entered, but I don't have to sacrifice every creature that has a counter at once.
You're totally right about Blood Artist. I was thinking to myself, "Why the hell did I even add this?" lol. I kept pinging myself with it because I didn't want to be the highest life total.
Vengeful Ancestor was a pet card but it can totally go. Same with Gyruda, Doom of Depths. I wanted to try and make the deck different than most marchesa effects, but some of the cards just don't end up playing well.
Don't you diss Woe Strider! It costs a little more, sure. But it also makes a token itself so it functionally has scry 1 on etb attached, and it can escape from the yard with +1/+1 counters if it somehow gets dumped.
Faerie Artisans is unironically maybe one of the strongest cards in casual. The particular synergy in marchesa is that if you sacrifice it, you get to keep the last token that it just made even when it comes back, since it's a new object. It also draws much less hate than direct theft.
What's the point of Rakdos Cackler as sacrifice fodder if we're not running aristocrats effects?
Thran Vigil seems absolutely terrible. It gets you a single +1/+1 counter per round. Not even per turn. It only triggers on your turn, and only at most one counter on your turn.
Ravenous Chupacabra too expensive? What is cheaper and repeatable?
4 months ago
Hey! Coming over from Reddit to give some advice.
First off, some overarching themes that I notice:
Draw vs Card Advantage - A lot of the cards in your "Draw" category don't actually provide any impactful draw, only scrying and cantrips. I'm an enormous fan of Fell Stinger and Thought Sponge. Easily repeatable draw effects that dump cards in your hand. Scry isn't useful unless you're drawing a ton of cards or are doing some topdeck manipulation.
Your creatures are too big - Marchesa appreciates small bodies with big effects rather than big bodies with meh effects. For this reason, I would take out Combustible Gearhulk, Vindictive Lich, Vengeful Ancestor, and Gyruda, Doom of Depths. Playing lots of small, cheaper bodies lets your deck fly under the radar until it pops off. It will also give you more targets for Imperial Recruiter.
Aristocrats style - Marchesa doesn't play like your typical aristocrats deck, Blood Artist isn't very effective when you're only sacrificing 2-3 creatures a turn. It's also counterintuitive to Dethrone. Abusing ETB and LTB effects is more important than slowly draining opponents
Not enough counter distribution - You only have 5 cards under counters and they're all either situational or restrictive. Drop some Thran Vigil type cards in there and you'll go far
Overall, you're too reliant on creatures for draw, removal, etc. Run some efficient draw and removal spells
Next up, cards I recommend removing. I've playtested most of these and they're not nearly as impactful as they seem.
- Blood Artist - Covered this above, you don't want to gain life
- Combustible Gearhulk - Opponents will often just take the damage early game and late game you do NOT want to be spending 6 mana on a 6/6 with no impactful ETB.
- Vindictive Lich - An alright card, not fantastic though. I'm very pressed for 4 drops in my deck so it didn't make the cut.
- Vengeful Ancestor - Not a very impactful card. You're running Kardur, Doomscourge so this card is just overshadowed.
- Gyruda, Doom of Depths - 6 mana to maybe cheat in one creature? Not a huge fan. If you want to replace it with a grave robber effect Puppeteer Clique is better. Still not fantastic, it didn't make the cut in my deck
- Aether Channeler - A fine card, the mode selection is okay. I'm not in love with the effects it gives though
- Morbid Opportunist - Only one draw a turn? Blasphemy
- Woe Strider Free sac outlets are nice, but I find I get overrun with them when I have more than 5 in a deck. Also more expensive just to scry? Not a fan
- Dauthi Voidwalker Will generate so much hate. Unless you can fend off your opponents don't run it
- Faerie Artisans Not the kind of stealing Marchesa likes, tokens aren't the name of the game here. Something like Zealous Conscripts will take you much further
- Phantom Steed Same as above, tokens are nice but this isn't a great card
- Ravenous Chupacabra Too much mana for removal. Black and blue have much cheaper options
There are more that I personally wouldn't run, but that's up to how you like to play your deck.
Now for some cards I would include in every Marchesa deck
- Thran Vigil - Allows you to immediately sac creatures that come back + an extra layer of protection
- Uncivil Unrest - Same as above but you can also give haste to fresh casts. Double damage doesn't hurt
- Fell Stinger - Repeatable, powerful draw on a deathtouch body
- Thought Sponge - Incredible draw engine. Sac it on opponents turns every time it enters and you'll draw AT LEAST 6 cards a turn cycle.
- Iron Apprentice - Great 1 drop, can distribute counters if you're having trouble and is sacrifice fodder
- Rakdos Cackler - sacrifice fodder
- Flayer of the Hatebound - This card gets a bad rap but it's great in Marchesa
- Herald of Secret Streams - Wincon alert! This card sneaks under the radar until you hit someone with 25 unblockable damage
- The Ozolith - Expensive, but who doesn't want to keep their counters for 1 mana!
Of course, please take a look at my deck if you need inspiration. It's pretty casual, but the synergies can be backbreaking if your opponents don't keep you in check. I also have a ton of cards in my maybeboard that I'm considering or have saved for later.
6 months ago
Blood Artist, Clackbridge Troll, Massacre Wurm, Slaughter Specialist, Feed the Swarm, Syr Konrad, the Grim, Gisa, Glorious Resurrector, Falkenrath Noble, Burnished Hart, Thrummingbird, Sangromancer, Vedalken Humiliator, Gulping Scraptrap, Village Rites, Feign Death, Sign in Blood, Vat Emergence, Victimize, Night's Whisper, Contagion Clasp, Wayfarer's Bauble, Neurok Stealthsuit, Grave Betrayal, Infernal Genesis, Kaya's Ghostform, Eternal Thirst, Mind Stone, Commander's Sphere, Charcoal Diamond, Sky Diamond, Dimir Locket, Undying Malice, Supernatural Stamina, Corrupted Conviction, Fake Your Own Death, Ravenous Chupacabra, Doom Blade, Go for the Throat, Defile
8 months ago
I love this! It's always nice to see less mainstream tribes getting some attention. For the main board take a look at Ravenous Chupacabra for removal that also advances the beast plan. Leyline Prowler looks pretty nice as well. And Craterhoof Behemoth is costly, but could be a nice finisher.
Also, Beast Within seems too thematically good not to include here :)
Best of luck with the build!
10 months ago
In the meantime ideas:
i roll this at the moment
11 months ago
Definitely agree against Decanter- as far as ramp goes, my personal rule of thumb for green decks is land-based ramp spells unless the rock is fast mana (a lo Sol Ring. TheOfficialCreator made some great suggestions for ramp in Meren! I'd also recommend creature-based removal as well like Fleshbag Marauder effects (absolutely backbreaking in Meren), Caustic Caterpillar, and Ravenous Chupacabra.