Creature — Human Warrior
Haste When Zealous Conscripts enters the battlefield, untap target permanent and gain control of it until end of turn. It gains haste until end of turn.
|Want (2)||BookerCatch , dustybrush|
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2017 Edition (MM3)||Rare|
|Avacyn Restored (AVR)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Zealous Conscripts Discussion
3 weeks ago
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death was one of the first generals I built a commander deck around and I've been tuning mine ever since.
Replacements I would make
- Replace Dolmen Gate with Reconnaissance since it costs 1 less and also can untap your creatures after damage has been dealt to give them pseudo-vigilance.
- Replace Angel of Invention with Marionette Master since if you get infinite ETBs on marionette master, you can sac the infinite tokens to deal infinite damage.
Other cards I might suggest
- Add Moriok Replica is the best card I have in my Alesha deck, it can draw you so many cards every turn.
- Add Panharmonicon/Flameshadow Conjuring so you can get double ETB triggers.
- Add Torch Fiend and Kami of Ancient Law for repeatable artifact/enchantment removal.
- Add Remorseful Cleric for repeatable graveyard hate.
- Add Magus of the Disk for a repeatable board wipe.
- Add Yahenni, Undying Partisan since he's a free sac outlet that can draw you cards and can also be recurred using Alesha.
Combos I might suggest
- Add Reveillark/Sun Titan + Karmic Guide + a sac outlet + a creature with an ETB trigger like Murderous Redcap = infinite ETBs.
- Add Vesperlark + Felidar Guardian + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Sun Titan + Gift of Immortality + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Zealous Conscripts + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker = infinite hasty pirates.
Cards I recommend ditching:
- Remove Carrion Grub Its basically 4 mana for 4 cards milled, that isn't worth it.
- Remove Sunforger You only have 6 legal Sunforger targets, it isn't worth it to keep it in.
- Remove Dictate of Erebos You don't need this if you can just get a Ravenous Chupacabra out and keep recurring it.
- Remove Mindclaw Shaman This was a card that I found didn't do much when I played it, there are alot of other creatures with better ETB effects.
- Remove Relic Seeker There isn't much of a need to fetch a piece of equipment since you only have Sunforger, Sword of the Animist, and Skullclamp.
Feel Free to check out my RBW Alesha's Beautiful Smile combo deck for ideas.
1 month ago
I'm still editing the deck, but Queen_Lulu, the combos work like this.
Dark-Dweller Oracle, Conspicuous Snoop, Torch Courier (Have to put into the deck), Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Sling-Gang Lieutenant/Mogg Fanatic. (If it's Doomsday you can put the top two cards on the bottom and activate Grenzo, Dungeon Warden and you would get a similar result.)
Find a way to draw a card, then play Dark-Dweller Oracle. Activate it once (for now), and play Conspicuous Snoop. Using the Conspicuous Snoop, play Torch Courier, and sacrifice it targeting Conspicuous Snoop. Now Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker is on the top of your library. Conspicuous Snoop has Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker's ability, and has haste thanks to the Torch Courier. Activate the Conspicuous Snoop/Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker to make a copy of itself. (It's a non-legendary permanent.) The copy will be untapped, and you can make infinite tokens. Finally, use Dark-Dweller Oracle one last time to get rid of Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. With Sling-Gang Lieutenant/Mogg Fanatic on the top of the library, you can use any Conspicuous Snoop to gun down your opponents.
Combo 3) Play the Snoop and Boggart Harbinger. The Harbinger will put Kiki on top, combo off, then use the last untapped Snoop to copy the Harbinger and put the Lieutenant/Fanatic on the top to win.
A good thing about the last combo it that there is a failsafe in case you somehow get Kiki onto the battlefield. If you have Tel-Jilad Stylus, plus the Snoop and the Harbinger, use Kiki to copy the Harbinger, but with that ability on the stack, use the Stylus to put Kiki on the bottom of your library, and then the Harbinger will tutor Kiki to the top.
1 month ago
I see youre running Caged Sun have you considered Gauntlet of Power as well? Red combos are mana hungry. I like running Fires of Invention because if ops are tapped out you can just drop both pieces at one time and gg. Or drop Godo, he fetches the Helm, then equip it using your untapped mana thanks to Fires. It stops me from interacting on opponents turn, so it might be a little greedy, but the combos dont happen at instant speed anyway and I am a greedy player lol. +1, cool deck
1 month ago
Hi, first of all: nice list.
I should have a copy of Yasova in my lot and this deck realy made me think of a Yasova-deck for my own :-) But i got too many decks right now :-( ;-)
Maybe, if you want to have a combo-part in your Deck, than think about swapping in Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker. It goes infinite with Zealous Conscripts (you target kiki-jiki with the untap) for a big attack. Or you make infinite Kiora's Follower (also untapping kiki-jiki) and sac them to Goblin Bombardment for pure damage or Ashnod's Altar / Food Chain for infinite mana.
What about cards like Sundial of the Infinite. Ending the turn earlier then the end step allows you to keep what you took and could be great in some siutations.
Maybe you like some of my ideas.
2 months ago
Hi. Saw you asking for advice on the Animar Discord but didn't want to clog up the channel so I figured I'd leave some comments here. I'll try to focus on more budget friendly changes since you already know about the more expensive recommendations.
The first thing that stands out to me is that you've doubled down on a lot of redundancy of similar effects to make your combo options more consistent. Since you don't have Imperial Recruiter and Weird Harvest, I can see why you would do that for a more casual meta. What has happened though is that you have filled up slots that would normally go to the other cards that help Animar function faster. A number of cards could be trimmed out to put in important lower-curve cards.
To start with, you actually have too many combos in the deck that are clogging up cards slots. You already have Ancestral Statue + Walking Ballista, which is Animar's bread and butter. Competitive decks generally focus on assembling that as quickly as possible and protecting the combo.
The typical secondary combo line in cEDH Animar is the Kiri-Onna loop, but that requires you to put a lot of money into your mana base to make sure nearly all you lands produce blue mana for maximum efficiency, so lets skip that for now.
Another backup combo is Barrin, Master Wizard/Temur Sabertooth + Dockside Extortionist, which you already have. Barrin is generally favoured because of its versatility, but the Sabertooth works too and the combo can potentially produce infinite mana without Animar. The combo works well in the cEDH meta because of all the cheap mana rocks and enchantments that get played, but there's a chance it won't be as consistent in more casual metas.
In addition to the main combos, you often see Purphoros, God of the Forge as a backup kill condition. Since you have that too you are fairly well set for win-conditions.
On top of that though, you also currently have the Kiki/Twin combo package, Cloudstone Curio with a couple morph creatures and eldrazi, Deadeye Navigator + Peregrine Drake + Acidic Slime, and Oracle/Labman to win by decking off of "enchantress" effects like Beast Whisperer. You honestly don't need all of that. Some people may run Thassa's Oracle as an option for when damage might not win the game, but the rest could be heavily trimmed to make room for other important ramp and interaction.
So, cards to cut:
Deadeye Navigator is an easy cut. The higher cmc creatures clog up opening hands and force more mulligans. Cloudstone Curio can't be tutored for in your list, which makes it unreliable. Taking that out makes Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger unwanted. That leads to taking out Nettle Drone and Thought Harvester because they are just redundant effects that you already get with Ballista and Purphoros. Laboratory Maniac can come out because it will generally be a more fragile Thassa's Oracle. You could take the oracle out too because there are ways to just bounce and kill with Ballista, even when you are being forced to draw cards off of Glimpse of Nature or Beast Whisperer. I can see why you might want to leave that one in though.
The Kiki/twin package takes up a bunch of slots with cards that don't really do a whole lot on their own except for Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, which some people think is too unwieldy to cast consistently because of the RRR in its casting cost. Splinter Twin isn't tutorable in the deck, so it's unreliable. Bounding Krasis and Breaching Hippocamp are just redundant bodies that don't even have the same versatility in their effect that Pestermite and Deceiver Exarch, and even those can be a little lack-luster.
If you aren't looking to take all the unnecessary combos out, I can see leaving some of the Kiki stuff in as a 2-card combo that isn't reliant on Animar. Just Kiki, Pestermite, and Deceiver Exarch on their own is enough. If you want to double down on it a bit though, you can consider putting in Zealous Conscripts. With the Conscripts, you can open up a 1 turn combo line with Vannifar.
- Tap Prime Speaker Vannifar -> sac Glen Elendra Archmage -> Archmage returns to the battlefield because of persist -> get Zealous Conscripts and untap Vannifar -> tap Vannifar and sac the Archmage again to get Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker to combo with the Conscripts. Birthing Pod can also work in place of Vannifar.
Other cards worth cutting are Guardian Project (can't be tutored or cost-reduced), Soul of the Harvest (expensive and Primordial Sage is better), Vigean Graftmage (don't have enough +1/+1 counter synergies for this to be worth the slot), Farhaven Elf (better off with a 1 CMC mana dork), Solemn Simulacrum (better off with a 1 CMC mana dork), Tidal Barracuda (it may protect you from counterspells on your turn, put there is just too much risk with letting your opponents cast all their stuff at instant speed on every other turn). There are other cards that could be cut, but those are the ones that really stand out.
To replace the cards you take out, you'll be wanting the 1 cmc mana dorks and mana acceleration that was recommended on Discord, some more card draw/cantrip creatures like Mulldrifter and Generous Patron, and some cheap/free counterspells.
Anyway, I know this is a long wall of text but I hope the feed back helps give you a place to start making tweaks to your deck. And, of course, the people on the Animar Discord are always happy to offer advice.
2 months ago
Twinning Staff would be a MONSTER card in this deck getting you a third copy of a spell. Also adding Chord of Calling and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Zealous Conscripts. Conspire Chord and you just won the game. Nice looking deck
2 months ago
Mythos of Illuna is another copy effect but it can be anything which I think is cool. Its a combo line, but Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker and Zealous Conscripts or Combat Celebrant for infinite Hastey tokens and combats seems legit to me. He can copy, make shadow clones, and he can use genjutsu and has incredible stamina so the whole combo seems within the scope of Kakashis jutsu. I was looking at hounds/dogs but they all look pretty unplayable so I guess ninja hounds arent helping much. If I think of anything else I'll drop a comment
2 months ago
Hey, nice budget upgrade of the precon. Good upgrade of Kiki.
Budget cards to consider adding:
- Breath of Fury: combos with Ghired + Rhino token for infinite combat steps.
- Zealous Conscripts: combos with Kiki for infinite Conscript tokens.
- Quartzwood Crasher: repeatable huge Dino tokens with trample, very good with Garruk's Uprising.
- Ogre Battledriver: repeatable haste and pump.
- Congregation at Dawn: instant creature tutor for three different creatures.
- Shared Summons: instant creature tutor for two different creatures.
- Shield of the Oversoul: enchant Ghired to give him +2/+2 flying and indestructible allowing him to freely attack each turn.
- Farseek: two drop land ramp that can search for a dual land such as Cinder Glade or Canopy Vista.
- Canopy Vista
- Exotic Orchard
- Jungle Shrine
- Naya Panorama
- Battlefield Forge
Cards to consider cutting:
- Jungle Hollow
- Blossoming Sands
- Temple of the False God
- Great Furnace
- 1x Plains
- Release the Ants
- Root Snare
- Loxodon Smiter
- Burning Anger
- Desolation Twin
- Vivien's Invocation
- Samut, Tyrant Smasher
- Magewright's Stone
Examples of some changes to consider:
Jungle Shrine > Jungle Hollow
I'm guessing you meant to type Shrine instead of Hollow since Hollow is not a legal card in Naya colors.
Quartzwood Crasher > Desolation Twin
Crasher at five mana can be repeatable Dino tokens that can be 10/10s or higher that have trample. The 10/10 Eldrazi that Twin creates is not good enough for 10 mana.
Ogre Battledriver > Samut, Tyrant Smasher
Good luck with your deck.