Archfiend of Spite
Creature — Demon
Whenever a source an opponent controls deals damage to Archfiend of Spite, that source's controller loses that much life unless they sacrifice that many permanents.
Madness (If you discard this card, you may cast it for its madness cost instead of putting it into the graveyard.)
Printings View all
|Commander 2019 (C19)||Rare|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Archfiend of Spite Discussion
1 week ago
1 month ago
Ah, I have piloted a mono-black discard deck for quite the number of years. I have Chainer, Dementia Master at the helm myself, as he is a rather powerful card when everyone's hands are empty, thus he reigns unanswered. Therefrom, a great amount of methods may be used to win.
Tinybones is less of a finisher itself, more so a value engine. As such, I would recommend possessing a lower curve to take advantage of the card draw and more potent finishers within the deck to hent for victory. Also, having card draw outside of the commander would grant a better backup plan. A discard deck's goal is to empty each opponent's hand and win by going unthreatened. If no players have cards to discard, Tinybones cannot provide draw.
The changes I would make are more instants so you kill things once they resolve as opposed to waiting a full turn, swifter discard in the early game to make your commander more effective, stronger finishers for the sake of ending the game betime, and just cutting some cards.
So, first, there are some things I would remove.
- Murderous Compulsion may go with the discard theme, but it's conditional removal at sorcery-speed.
- Bad Deal is ironically a bad deal, as it is six mana for two cards gone.
- Assassin's Strike is just egregious. A six-mana sorcery to kill one thing and they discard but one card. Begone.
- Unnerve is fine but not great. Being a one time effect at four mana, I dislike it, though Xantcha is a great character in the art.
- Haunting Hymn is six mana, which is far too late for discard effects to be effective. You want discard early, as it makes it far more difficult for decks to catch their footing.
- I have the same reason for Tasigur's Cruelty.
- Cabal Conditioning has an identical reason.
- I have a shortlist for this category, being creatures without long-game value; Burglar Rat, Liliana's Reaver, and Banshee of the Dread Choir have discard stapled to them, but don't do much else whilst lacking much in terms of evasion for Larceny.
- Scythe Specter is slow and other cards just do its job better, and Herald of Anguish is slow and lacks fodder for its second ability.
- Necrogen Spellbomb is just crap. Two mana for one card from a single player's hand is awful. Don't play this.
- Awaken the Erstwhile neglects the game plan of having more cards than your opponents whilst lacking the option of going back. I'd just add a stronger finisher.
Alright. With that out of the way, I may suggest other cards.
Upon card draw, you have none outside of the Trinket Thief, Rankle, and Geth's Grimoire. I'd add any of Phyrexian Arena, Sign in Blood, Underworld Connections, and Dread Presence. Necropotence may seem as if it negates the strategy, but it is always worth it.
Lightning Greaves just seem great.
Now, for the finishers I have many. Do note that these are meant to be played when people haven't any cards in hand, hence lacking answers for these once on the field. Sheoldred, the Whispering One grants value from each player's bin whiles eating at their board. Abhorrent Overlord offers a swarm of flyers to end the game. Grave Titan is much the same. Archfiend of Despair goes well with Tinybones's second ability. Though I am not too fond of it, Archfiend of Spite offers much. Geth, Lord of the Vault hents the opponent's graveyards to swarm the board. Kokusho, the Evening Star is a massive threat that harms upon death. Kothophed allows for a quite a bit of card draw. Lord of the Void is always fun. Lastly, Gray Merchant of Asphodel does so much every time it hits the field.
Of course, I'd add more ramp and reanimation. Mind Stone, Arcane Signet, Charcoal Diamond, and Lake of the Dead are great for ramp. Animate Dead, Reanimate, and Dread Return are fine ways to get stuff from anyone's yard, save for the Return.
That shall be all from me. Do enjoy your day!
4 months ago
5 months ago
Hey, you can do a lot with a $60 budget for upgrades. For non madness, do you still want to play the Worldgorger combo? Again this combo will be at least $20 of the $60 budget. Without the combo you could make plenty of other upgrades for $20, but the combo makes your deck much more competitive.
For multicolored decks I always start with allocating enough of the budget for the manabase, to add some playable lands. I figure I need to have a good manabase otherwise what's the point in making the deck if I can't consistently cast cards. For your deck I would start with adding these lands:
- Graven Cairns
- Dragonskull Summit
- Smoldering Marsh
- Foreboding Ruins
- Tainted Peak
- Emergence Zone
- Jund Panorama
- Opal Palace
- Canyon Slough
- Temple of Malice
If playing non madness, still play some madness cards that become better when you discard them with Anje. There's really reason to not take some advantage of playable madness cards with Anje as Commander.
- Avacyn's Judgment
- Bloodhall Priest: only if playing Worldgorger.
- Anje's Ravager
- Muck Drubb: especially if you choose to play Worldgorger.
- Psychotic Episode: especially if you choose to play Worldgorger.
- Big Game Hunter
- Asylum Visitor
- Fiery Temper
- Dark Withering
- Archfiend of Spite
- Call to the Netherworld
Other advice I can give will be determined on if you want to play the Worldgorger combo. I'm basing it on the combo because your deck can look quite a bit different if not playing the combo.
7 months ago
So, multimedia, I just got the madness commander deck today, and there are so many cards that I could add to the deck (such as Overseer of the Damned , Beacon of Unrest , Archfiend of Spite , and more)! Having this, I will soon be changing the deck from Rakdos' Crazy Demon Party to Chainer's Demon Summoning Possie! So, in your humble opinion, what should I cut/add?