Creature — Elemental Shaman
: Add two mana in any combination of colors to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Elemental spells or activated abilities of Elementals.
Printings View all
|Modern Masters 2015 Edition (MM2)||Common|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
1 month ago
I've been working with Elementals for a while. Haven't quite finished, but here's some notes:
4x Thunderkin Awakener is necessary, at least for your game one strat. It gets you so much value it's insane. Between Vesperlark, Risen Reef, Spitebellows, Lightning Skelemental, Flamekin Harbinger and Flickerwisp, it can do everything from giving you a free Blightning+ every turn to being repeatable removal to drawing you multiple cards a turn.
Don't try and go too heavy into the 'toolbox' aspect game one. Leave Sideboard cards in the sideboard. While you do have 8 tutors, you really can't afford to use maindeck slots for cards like Wispmare or Ingot Chewer.
I did forget about Eldritch Evolution in my brewing, but it's a great card here.
Here's my proposition on a slightly altered list utilizing Evolution:
4x Arcum's Astrolabe(Include a lot of Snow Mountains and Snow Forests)
4x Risen Reef
Giving you 22 lands. You can probably fit Omnath in there as a 1-of for fun, but I'm unsure if he's worth it.
Here's why: Briarhorn sucks. Its ability is mostly worthless in a format where you want to be winning the game for 3 or 4 mana. Smokebraider is far too slow. Neoform and Eldritch Evolution are perfect here for making sure you are fast enough.
Now, here's the nice thing -- that maindeck is a generic one-size-fits-all deck, and it's nowhere near optimized for individual matchups. Guess what that means? Post SB, you will be able to assemble the absolute perfect deck for beating your opponent, often in a way that still wins the game quickly and efficiently.
On your sideboard:
2x Ingot Chewer.
Since you get 12 tutor effects, you can easily just side in one or two cards and still have a really solid gameplan.
I hope that helps. Not a ton of flex slots because you're just running ways to win against the average opponent g1, but it keeps its 'ultimate toolbox' type strategy while gaining a much more potent curve.
1 month ago
2 months ago
SteelSentry except that red DOES have mana dorks, just not as many as green does. They either cost a lot more like Sisters of the Flame or have restrictions where you can use the mana like Smokebraider or Chandra's Embercat and since Jegantha restricts how you can use the mana, it does follow red's version of mana dorks.
3 months ago
- Lightning greaves is a card to use or or you use something like momentrary blink. You get an etb and the orginal target no longer exists which means the spell fizzles. If you want it on an elemental creature: Flickerwisp.
- The downside to greaves its an artifact that does nothing turn 2. Artifact hate is easy to come by in green, red, (white), and in its own way blue. The match ups where it comes into play like jund will be able to get these affects no problem. equipping is also sorcery speed, so even if they cant remove the artifact they can wait for a target, or for you to cast a spell and now your out of luck.
- the goal is to cast Smokebraider and then activate it soon. Say you play it turn 2 and you can activate it turn 3. Well if you cast greaves turn 2 then you have to wait till turn 3 to cast Smokebraider, leaving you in the same spot.
- Clout of the Dominus might be better than boots for you.
- Reckless Bushwhacker is a source of hast you already have. I dont see a way to speed the deck up faster although itd be nice. It might not be even necessary being you can just keep bring back maw every turn.
3 months ago
3 months ago
So... I looked into lands... Did you know that if all your spells are elemental creatures, you've got a LOT of options? I didn't, but I do now! Cavern of Souls and Unclaimed Territory are common knowledge. Ancient Ziggurat and Primal Beyond, however, are new to me and give me SIXTEEN UNTAPPED RAINBOW LANDS at my disposal. So I'm excited for that.
Next, I think Vesperlark should help a lot in control matchups?? Probably not enough tho. Maybe I should run some manlands, yea.
I really don't want to have any creatures except maybe a Flamekin Harbinger and a Smokebraider until the turn I combo off, so Chord of Calling is basically just 6 mana. I experimented with Collected Company initially, which is arguably a bit better for this deck, but turn 4 is when I want to go off, so spending that turn to cast one spell is iffy. That said, it gets two creatures, and the deck was very different then... maybe it warrants playtesting again.
The cycling lands seem pretty good, but I don't want lands that only tap for one color. The bicycle lands might be worth considering tho?? I'm gonna see what my deck looks like with all the rainbow lands.
3 months ago
- So your playing 26 lands youve got room. Run a total of 3 shock lands. Id lands with Red + risen reef colors. Then checklands dont seem to be hurt by risen reef they seem important so for black we only need to be able to hit it for one card. Lets count our sources we know for sure are goning to be in there 4x Cavern of souls (Cause its amazing), Unclaimed territory (mana fixes for anything), That's what 8 sources for black, and that should be fairly easy to hit with risen reef(s) on the field. They also fix for white (so long its a creature). For basics i would do 1 of each in RUG colors. I would try the horizon lands in a play test still, youd be amazed how helpful they can be. Imagine fighting control where the match is going to take awhile and card advantage is very important. Id start with these changes and see how hard it is to cast whatever. Usually 8 sources is enough to help fix for a splash. The crazy part is that its actually 12 when you include creatures because you have Smokebraider.
- There is an arguement to run scrylands, The biggest down side is they enter tapped, but if they are entering in tapped anyways, its no longer a downside. Combine this with the free scry and you get more filtering to find more stuff you want.
- Filter lands seem to not be needed her being you are running elementals.
- Slightly off topic but have you considered Chord of Calling? You could at their endstep get a risen reef and combo on your turn?
- You could consider running some cycle lands as well, being lands in hand arent always amazing and it lets you draw cards.
- If for whatever reason you end up going back to a lot of basics run battlelands, they seem amazing here.
- I dont beleive you do well against control and Raging Ravine seems like a soultion. As you know you cant counter lands.
3 months ago
-So scooping to bloodmoon sucks BUT There is one deck that runs it, which is blue moon. It uses Through the Breach and Emrakul, the Aeons Torn. Its only two colors so running basics doesnt hurt it as much as a three color deck. Also keep in mind that bloodmoon doesnt shut you off. You only lose 3 spells, and still have a board presence so they should board it out in the next game(s). They spend turn 3 casting a card with no clock, while you have dudes to play. Plus Smokebraider gets around bloodmoon. Dont worry about it.
- Risen Reef is a powerful card, but the lands come in tapped anyways. You can find risen reef super easy with your set up, but finding amulet is harder. Being you need this for your set up your going to want ways to find it such as Ancient Stirrings (lands are colorless btw).
- i havent played your deck much but it looks like your main clock is Devastating Summons plus maybe so 1/1 or 1/2. Spells like Electrolyze seem really good against you. Cryptic Command seems really good on your tokens.
- To mean it looks like you lose to burn, control, dredge, probably jund, humans, and eldrazi tron.
- Id recommend switching to the companion to the one i recommneded being you can cast it more often, and it lets you bring back dead cards.
- As a burn player Eidolon of the Great Revel is AMAZING. It is for me at least 2 mana win the game in certain match ups (like storm).
- Ive played against it and it deals damage, so much damage. I can beat it as burn but that wasnt to say the matches werent close. I went 2-1 against them. I beleive they went jund. Green was basically for Playing collected company.
- remeber shock lands zap your life total so dont run two many. Its a very common mistake when crafting a deck. - SB cards are interesting in games. you could run 1 mana counters such as spell pierce. Its amazing when they collected brutality for all the options and then you counter their spell. Anger of the gods is great usually but your deck doesnt want to see it so dont inculde sweapers. Tormod's Crypt for decks like dredge. Abrade Skullcrack Cindervines is another great card. It beats combo players, and holds for removal. Dismember is a good card but you need to consider if you can risk losing 5 life AND what would you need to remove that has more than 3 toughness?