Magus of the Disk
Creature — Human Wizard
Magus of the Disk enters the battlefield tapped.
. : Destroy all artifacts, creatures, and enchantments.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Magus of the Disk occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Magus of the Disk Discussion
6 months ago
Alesha, Who Smiles at Death was one of the first generals I built a commander deck around and I've been tuning mine ever since.
Replacements I would make
- Replace Dolmen Gate with Reconnaissance since it costs 1 less and also can untap your creatures after damage has been dealt to give them pseudo-vigilance.
- Replace Angel of Invention with Marionette Master since if you get infinite ETBs on marionette master, you can sac the infinite tokens to deal infinite damage.
Other cards I might suggest
- Add Moriok Replica is the best card I have in my Alesha deck, it can draw you so many cards every turn.
- Add Panharmonicon/Flameshadow Conjuring so you can get double ETB triggers.
- Add Torch Fiend and Kami of Ancient Law for repeatable artifact/enchantment removal.
- Add Remorseful Cleric for repeatable graveyard hate.
- Add Magus of the Disk for a repeatable board wipe.
- Add Yahenni, Undying Partisan since he's a free sac outlet that can draw you cards and can also be recurred using Alesha.
Combos I might suggest
- Add Reveillark/Sun Titan + Karmic Guide + a sac outlet + a creature with an ETB trigger like Murderous Redcap = infinite ETBs.
- Add Vesperlark + Felidar Guardian + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Sun Titan + Gift of Immortality + a sac outlet = infinite sacrifices.
- Add Zealous Conscripts + Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker = infinite hasty pirates.
Cards I recommend ditching:
- Remove Carrion Grub Its basically 4 mana for 4 cards milled, that isn't worth it.
- Remove Sunforger You only have 6 legal Sunforger targets, it isn't worth it to keep it in.
- Remove Dictate of Erebos You don't need this if you can just get a Ravenous Chupacabra out and keep recurring it.
- Remove Mindclaw Shaman This was a card that I found didn't do much when I played it, there are alot of other creatures with better ETB effects.
- Remove Relic Seeker There isn't much of a need to fetch a piece of equipment since you only have Sunforger, Sword of the Animist, and Skullclamp.
Feel Free to check out my RBW Alesha's Beautiful Smile combo deck for ideas.
6 months ago
- Swapped Triskelion for Walking Ballista.
- Added Viscera Seer since it combos with Luminous Broodmoth + Mikaeus, the Unhallowed .
- Swapped Myojin of Life's Web, Mageta the Lion, Magister of Worth & Magus of the Disk for Wrath of God & Damnation since they're cheaper and take effect immediately.
- Cut some larger cmc bombs like Kokusho, the Evening Star, & Gray Merchant of Asphodel. I would rather have the deck be more consistent and lower the cmc curve.
- Added some early mana rocks and cut slow ramp like Solemn Simulacrum, & Black Market.
- Added Necropotence because it should always have been in the deck.
7 months ago
Hey, nice deck! I'm also brewing on Gishath, Sun's Avatar, my actual thoughts are on board whipes before playing the commander. Nevinyrral's Disk, Magus of the Disk, Oblivion Stone can make a clean battlefield, which makes an attack with Gishath, Sun's Avatar (maybe) more effective. Also by playing mana ramp sorceries your lands wouldn't be affected..
9 months ago
I forgot to mention some good creature based board wipes:
Magister of Worth = I really, really like this card because depending on the situation you can set it up to work best for you without caring what your opponents vote. If you have your graveyard full of creatures and opponents have creatures on the battlefield, you cast it and choose "grace", then your opponents either have to choose grace too and give you all the creatures in the graveyard or they have to choose the condemnation and lose all their creatures. The beauty of the card is that it works even if you don't have any creatures on the graveyard, then you just choose "condemnation" and just need one more opponent to choose it too since the board wipe effect happens if there are more votes or the vote is tied and there almost always is at least one player who will think "Yeah, I feel like those two other players fields are starting to look a bit too scary, a board wipe would be a good choice now even if I lose these couple of creatures" or "That player/those players have really scary things in their graveyard, no way I am giving those to them!". Sweet added bonus is that you get to keep the Magister of Worth even if the board wipe happens.
Cataclysmic Gearhulk = Works like Tragic Arrogance but unfortunately you don't get to choose which permanents to keep.
Sunblast Angel = A bit situational but can be good in the right circumstances.
Magus of the Disk = A good panic button and visible warning to your opponents.
11 months ago
Magus of the Disk is a definite maybe. As for the others, good cards one and all, but not for this deck. False Prophet has little control (I would want to be able to activate such an effect on my own terms, not at the whim of someone's lightning bolt). Plus, he exiles, and I wouldn't be able to bring them back. That's why I begrudgingly did not include Food Chain. Cataclysmic Gearhulk and Massacre Girl cost one mana more than I'd like to spend on such an effect (if I need to board wipe, it's because an opponent went wide early).
Targeted removal might work well, but if I used it, there are far better options in black or Golgari than white. Path to Exile is great in Stax or Death & Taxes - where the land bump does them no good - or mono-white or Sylesnia, where there's no red, black or blue for better targetted removal. Having said this, I'm a huge fan of Swords to Plowshares, but not, I don't think, for this deck.
As for the combo, it looks amazing. However, I forgot to mention at the beginning that I don't play combo decks. If either of the cards were something that I thought would fit this deck better than anything that's already there, I'd include either or both and potentially have the combo as a last resort game ender when it goes too long. But I have plenty of recursion, some of which is cheaper. So while I respect the competitive quality of the combo suggestion, I respectfully decline.
You are absolutely right about the rats. They're honestly in there because they're 2 CMC and unearth. They really do me no real good. I'm definitely not going for a discard theme here. I do, however, need some (probably more than I have, with or without the rats) CMC 2 or less creatures that fit into the reanimator theme. For that matter, I probably don't need Spore Frog either, but cutting it has the same problem.
11 months ago
Board wipes depends on your meta.if you are going to use Damnation effects why not use Magus of the Disk,False Prophet,Cataclysmic Gearhulk, Massacre Girl and the list goes on.
if you are going to play something play it on a creature unless you need to stop others.Path to Exile,Silence,Swords to Plowshares are a must in a Combo Oriented Meta than you need to answer a play or you lose on the spot.
Thing is that Karador is a slow deck that needs space and time to do its thing... Slowly.... if you meta is also a slow one then you have the automatic advantage.If not that is when you need stax pieces like the ones you mention Rotting Rats and Spelltithe Enforcer. But its either too specific or too little. 1 discard per player is nothing. Compare that to Mindslicer. 1 time and gg.You can play stuff but others are pretty much done. So either build a "discard" them to play many or Rotting Rats effects (i tried playing a similar karador deck i found it boring) or go for more wider effects.
Last thing i used to play karador for his value and recursion with strong creatures. But the moment i switched to Karmic Guide + reveilark Combo.... i was left speechless thats what power feels like . And it is reallly really budget. Look at my description in "How it wins" > "All the combo lines"
1 year ago
1 year ago
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I used some of them.
I cut Day of Judgment for Magus of the Disk since Disk can be reanimated by Alesha or Lark. I cut Cleansing Nova for Living Death and added Magus of the Wheel as a potential repeatable wheel to get creatures into my graveyard while also drawing cards.
I've cut the self-mill dredge package in favor of more creatures who draw cards. You made a good point about dredging in Mardu. If I can't tutor for the cards that I put into my graveyard then I want to be drawing cards if I'm self-milling cards which dredge doesn't do.