Combos Browse all Suggest
- Kolaghan's Command + Snapcaster Mage
- Alesha, Who Smiles at Death + Kolaghan's Command + Living Lore
- Kolaghan's Command + Living Lore
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Choose two —
- Return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
- Target player discards a card.
- Destroy target artifact.
- This deals 2 damage to target creature, player or planeswalker.
1 week ago
Pioneer's not a strong suit of mine yet, but I'll try to help.
I wouldn't go more than two copies of Iymrith. Maybe 2 each Iymrith and Kolaghan, 1 Lathliss for the legendary dragons.
Cut some of the 3-mana stuff and reduce overall costs. Stuff like Foul-Tongue Invocation and Spit Flame are thematic and reasonably useful, but you don't want to spend the first two turns sitting around waiting. Just pitching ideas here without analysis, but cards like Opt, Strangle, and Negate will keep you active.
Maybe 25-26 lands, 6-8 counterspells, 8-10 Dragons, 10-12 removal, and 10-12 draw would work. If you can find cards that double up or overlap these categories, like Kolaghan's Command or Maestros Charm, even better.
3 weeks ago
If you're building a sideboard in Grixis for the current meta, I highly recommend bringing at least 3 (if not 4) Leyline of the Void. Another option I've liked for faeries (bear in mind I haven't played it in a few years) is Curfew. It can really mess with cards like Murktide Regent, reanimator decks in general, as well as the rhinos from Crashing Footfalls. It also obviously rebuys Faerie ETBs and combos especially well with Spellstutter Sprite since it is instant. As you're in Grixis, bringing some amount of Kolaghan's Command is probably a reasonable choice. Comes in super clutch in most grindy matchups.
I love the list!
2 months ago
I thank everyone for the good advice being offered. Many of the suggestions made are representative in my original mono-black deck (linked below).
SCORE: 1 | 206 VIEWS | IN 2 FOLDERS
The deck in my original post seeks to incorporate some of the really great red/black cards like Dreadbore, Kolaghan's Command, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger and Blood Moon... is this the wrong way to go?
2 months ago
Evening, all. I've been playing around with various versions of 8-rank for a local tournament coming up and this is where I'm at right now, running an RB. I'd be interested in any thoughts or suggestions.
43 VIEWS | IN 1 FOLDER
Think I'll get good value out of the Dauthi Voidwalker? They should allow me to speed up the pain a bit and have a world of potential in discard decks but I don't have a lot of experience with them.
2 months ago
Hey, sweet deck. Let's take a look at win conditions and lands. I've identified a problem with your deck: You aggressively want to control the board with your 1-3 drops. While other players are playing 6 mana bombs every turn your are trying to eke out board advantage with 3 or 4 creatures a turn.
- You don't need board wipes in this deck, they actively go against your game-plan, and in no way help you win.
- Less removal in general. I counted 18 pieces of removal in your instants and sorceries. Keep Path to Exile, Swords to Plowshares, and Damn and get rid of the rest. You ARE the threat, if your deck is running slowly to the point that you feel like you need removal, you need better creatures.
As for lands, use this mana base.
- 1x Ancient Tomb
- 1x Arid Mesa
- 1x Blightstep Pathway Flip
- 1x Blood Crypt
- 1x Bloodstained Mire
- 1x Bojuka Bog
- 1x Boros Garrison
- 1x Brightclimb Pathway Flip
- 1x Buried Ruin
- 1x Command Tower
- 1x Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
- 1x Godless Shrine
- 1x Marsh Flats
- 6x Mountain
- 1x Myriad Landscape
- 1x Needleverge Pathway Flip
- 1x Orzhov Basilica
- 4x Plains
- 1x Rakdos Carnarium
- 1x Sacred Foundry
- 1x Sunhome, Fortress of the Legion
- 5x Swamp
How would I change your win condition...well you are trying to do knight tribal...
Consider these cards:
- Bond of Discipline
- Response / Resurgence
- Sorin Markov
- Aether Vial
- Luminarch Aspirant
- Lion Sash
- Harsh Mentor
- Blood Moon
- Price of Progress
- Flametongue Kavu
- Selfless Spirit
- Remorseful Cleric
- Unexpectedly Absent
- Goblin Rabblemaster
- Skyclave Apparition
- Palace Jailer
- Grim Lavamancer
- Bonecrusher Giant
- Dark Confidant
- Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
- Leonin Arbiter
- Umezawa's Jitte
- Hunted Horror
- Rotting Regisaur
- Shadow of Mortality
- Hunted Nightmare
- Dauthi Voidwalker
- Robber of the Rich
- Sudden Spoiling
- Esper Sentinel
- Kolaghan's Command
- Walking Ballista
- Felidar Retreat
- Marshal's Anthem
- Forsworn Paladin
- Lunarch Veteran Flip
- Soul Warden
- Soul's Attendant
- Heliod, Sun-Crowned
Remove these cards:
Good luck, and happy hunting. Let me know if you want to continue the conversation or have questions
2 months ago
- Aura Shards + Mirari's Wake + Faeburrow Elder + Knight of Autumn + Knight of New Alara Eladamri's Call + Wildfield Borderpost
- Bard Class + Cindervines + Huntmaster of the Fells Flip + Klothys, God of Destiny + Radha, Heart of Keld + Xenagos, God of Revels + Decimate + Dire-Strain Rampage + Escape to the Wilds + Hull Breach + Firewild Borderpost
- Binding the Old Gods + Leyline Prowler + Windgrace's Judgment + Vraska, Golgari Queen + Culling Ritual + Maelstrom Pulse
- Hidetsugu Consumes All Flip + Kardur, Doomscourge + Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger + Olivia, Crimson Bride + Orcus, Prince of Undeath + Kolaghan's Command + Rakdos Charm + Dreadbore + Veinfire Borderpost
- Baleful Strix + Hostage Taker + Mistvein Borderpost
- Coiling Oracle + Rootcoil Creeper + Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath + Growth Spiral + Tamiyo, Collector of Tales + Bring to Light + Croaking Counterpart
- Elite Guardmage + Niambi, Esteemed Speaker + Soulherder + Faithful Mending + Fieldmist Borderpost
- General Ferrous Rokiric + Aurelia's Fury + Wear / Tear + Deafening Clarion + Solar Blaze
- Izzet Staticaster + Prismari Command + Expressive Iteration
- Despark + Fracture + Inkshield + Kaya's Guile + Merciless Eviction
- Fires of Invention + Ignoble Hierarch + Sylvan Caryatid + Blasphemous Act + Demonic Tutor + Farseek + Arcane Signet + Chromatic Lantern + Coalition Relic + Commander's Sphere + Panharmonicon + Tome of the Guildpact + Urza's Filter
3 months ago
Depends on your budget on how much improvement you could add.
Some cheaper options I would try work in would Inquisition of Kozilek in place of Duress. You have decent removal spells to stall out the opponent but it could be lower to the ground. Lightning Bolt, Fatal Push, Path to Exile and Prismatic Ending are all really good one mana removal spells, and Damn fills two roles in one as a single kill ecfect for two or a wrath of god. Also, Kolaghan's Command and Kaya's Guile both offer a plethora of options that are always viable.
Moving on to some more expensive options, Thoughtseize is the iconic turn one black play and the best targeted discard Spell you can find in Modern. As mentioned before, Blood Moon is a great prison card that will literally just shut down the opponent from playing the game completely most of the time. Seasoned Pyromancer Could be a major powerhouse in a deck like this as well, as it filters your hand, fills up your graveyard and has easy potential to be a 3 mana 3 creature play.
Really like the Deck and hope it goes well for you!
4 months ago
I'd highly recommend Kolaghan's Command, you definitely need at least two. I see Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger in the maybeboard which I also recommend in the main. And lastly Urza's Saga is a little more rough with two colors, but if you cut smallpox I think slotting in 3-4 is a good idea.