Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire
Legendary Creature — Demon Rogue
Boast — : Target player searches their library for a card, then shuffles their library and puts that card on top of it. *(Activate this ability only if this creature attacked this turn and only once each turn.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire Discussion
1 month ago
So what you need more of in this deck is more demons. There aren't really enough to consistently trigger Liliana's contract. I would suggest Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire and Razaketh, the Foulblooded for large demons that can tutor. Dream Devourer saves mana and Bloodsoaked Altar is nice if you can afford the sacrifice.
1 month ago
Heyo! Was just wondering with the advent of Kaldheim, are you planning on making any updates to this deck? Mystic Reflection looks like it could be pretty hilariousin this deck, and Burning-Rune Demon also looks like it could be a pretty good tutor in or out of grave. Even Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire looks like it could be a pretty good cheap encore target for Araumi, though I'd love to hear your thoughts!
1 month ago
My playgroup agreed on not using permanent proxies to keep the power level as is, but I'll definitely grab the more expensive fetches, I'm just waiting for the reprint coming up in Modern Horizons 2 :) I'm also currently trying to grab a Mana Crypt and Mana Drain locally but it's proving harder than expected.
You are completly right about Song of the Dryads and Walker of Secret Ways I guess there are still some situations where it could be useful returning Yuriko to my hand but that realization admittedly made it a lot worse, makes me a bit unsure about committing to that switch.
Great to hear that we seem to agree on Abjure Mystic Reflection I'll try to find some space for those as soon as I can get my hands on them Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire may just be too slow, you are right. I often forget just how fast Yuriko can be, it may just be good in a lower powered Yuriko deck. Nether Traitor Is kind of in the same boat as well, and quite frankly I wouldn't be sure what to cut for it either.
You seem to have a very firm grip on what to switch out for new cards, since my decklist is so close to yours it's super nice for you to let me pick your brain about it, again it really is much appreciated! Since this is probably my strongest deck by a pretty good margin and it's already very optimized I think I need to be careful about how I approach new inclusions.
I'm really hoping I'll be able to get some more games in soon, I miss flipping Dracos and Blinkmoth Infusions! Maybe I should finally figure out a setup to play some games online at some point.
1 month ago
@Snake57 Sounds like you've got a good plan!
If your group is okay with proxies, then I would definitely add Mana Crypt , Mana Drain and all of the zendikar fetches. If not, I would actually prioritize getting the fetches first. They drastically improve the cards Sage Owl , Spire Owl , Scroll Rack , Sensei's Divining Top , Brainstorm (and probably even more that I'm forgetting!) because you can fetch to shuffle away cards that aren't useful.
Also, I think Yuriko is no longer a ninja once she's enchanted by Song of the Dryads , so Walker of Secret Ways wouldn't be able to bounce her. Although I still agree that you can cut Azra Smokeshaper for it.
Mystic Reflection seems pretty strong. Like you mentioned, it turns an enabler into one of your ninjas, or the next best creature on the board.
I'm a bit skeptical about Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire . It has to survive at least one turn around the table to attack and costs a combined 5 mana. I would suggest Cruel Tutor instead if you feel like you're lacking topdeck manipulation.
Hullbreacher is insanely powerful, especially if your playgroup plays a lot of wheels. I still have to get my hands on one, but the even harder part is what to cut for it :')
Maskwood Nexus definitely replaces Conspiracy and Xenograft for any Yuriko lists who have them. But like you said, 4 mana is pretty slow. Plus it isn't blue, so you can't pitch it to Force of Will like Arcane Adaptation or Unnatural Selection .
I think Karn's Temporal Sundering is stronger than Alrund's Epiphany because it costs one (or two) less mana and bounces a potential blocker. Plus if you foretell it, it's not in your hand to pitch to Force of Will effects. And if your playgroup is familiar with your deck, they know exactly which card you foretold.
Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions! I really appreciate talking Yuriko with someone else who's super invested!
1 month ago
It's always a pleasure to read through your thoughts and what you've been testing, again thank you so much for the detailed response!
Unfortunately (and for obvious reasons) I haven't been able to play much paper magic recently but I have been playing around with some new ideas for inclusions, however my primary focus right now it to tune the manabase further, I'm still missing some of the new cards from recent sets like Agadeem's Awakening Flip, Clearwater Pathway Flip and Sea Gate Restoration Flip in addition to some of the more expensive fetches you've recently added.
I'm also looking to add a Mana Crypt , and Mana Drain , with those additions I'm also feel pretty good about adding a Cyclonic Rift . In my playgroup "hate pieces" like Engineered Plague aren't very common so I will be swapping out Azra Smokeshaper for Walker of Secret Ways , also since it get's Yuriko out of Song of the Dryads like effects, which are more common in my case. I've also wanted to add more targeted removal so I will be trying out Dismember and Snuff Out (especially since there always seem to be plenty of targets for it in my playgroup). I'll also consider adding a Commandeer instead of Commit / Memory However I still haven't quite gone through finding out what to remove, so I'll be keeping an eye out for your final verdict! :D
I'm also really looking to add Abjure since the value of sacrificing one of the many small creatures we tend to play to counter any spell for one blue definitely seems to be worth it in my book.
Looking at more recent cards I'm also strongly considering Mystic Reflection for it's versatility and Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire which seems great considering you can use the boast ability in tandem with the Yuriko trigger, maybe Hullbreacher since there are a lot of wheel effects in my group. Maskwood Nexus also seems good, but I'm unsure if I'll end up with too many of those effects and if 4 mana may be a bit too slow. Nether Traitor seems like a surefire way to connect and similarly to Gingerbrood lets me start getting Yuriko back onto the board again as fast as possible after something like a boardwipe. I'm also considering to cut Karn's Temporal Sundering for Alrund's Epiphany , not too sure about that one though.
As always I'd love to hear your opinions! :)
Wishing you all the best!
P.S. Oh, and I'm still a big fan of Gingerbrood based on my play experience! Try giving the cookie monster a chance ;)
1 month ago
I'm thinking of just cutting the Glacial Chasm for a Swamp , i hasn't saved me in the one set of three games, and I don't really think that i'll truly be needing it in the future. it was there for assuming the role of archenemy, can be not paid sac'd then replayed with Crucible of Worlds creating a small lock of sorts.
My friend was the one that suggested Oblivion Sower , I like the idea of ripping lands with it, as well as it's awkward 5/8 body. I do think its a little though and reaching into the casual realm which isn't really what im looking to do.
After some deliberation here's what I've come to:
Why: better value, answers answers
Why: need access to more colored mana, land count ins fine. Chasm doesn't currently do anything and doesn't tap for mana
Why: Metalworker is a good card, the idea pf it still works for the deck, but it requires to much set up, Varragoth i'm hoping "gets us there" also makes the deck "possibly"
1 month ago
I got a game in against a casually optimized Torbran.
What I learned
Land count good, need better access to colored mana (would have resulted in a L1 W2 record)
Memory Jar is as quoted " .....devastating, breaking my back..."
the emotions of response I hoped achieved from foes has been realized.
-TO BE DISCUSSED -
Why: Dreamstealer felt "cute" not impactful, preforms poorly overall as there are "better things to be doing". Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire on the other hands has a good body, deathtouch, and tutors. seems like a more impactful cards overall. Maybe add Opposition Agent instead?
1 month ago
TIL that emojis aren't parsed properly by TappedOut even though they appear fine in the preview! Let's try again...
I've found this list really helpful whilst drafting decks over the last few years, thanks for putting it together! :) Judging by the 400,000 views that this has had I'm guessing I'm not the only person who feels that way :D
Since this list hasn't been updated since pre-WAR, I thought I'd put together a pretty comprehensive list of all tutors released since then (including all of the tutors mentioned in the comments above). Hopefully putting it in one place will make it easier to update! Note - as per the list you've curated, I've excluded any tutors that fetch specific cards (e.g. Yanling's Harbinger ) or basic lands. I've also left off the card types and colours since there's already enough text in the comment and it can be seen from the preview. Right - on with the list!
CARD: TUTOR FOR - ANY COMMENTS/SUGGESTED CATEGORIES
- Axgard Armory : Aura or Equipment - to hand
- Boggart Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Burning-Rune Demon : Anything - to hand, to graveyard
- Chandra, Heart of Fire : Instants/Sorceries - jump through hoops, to cast
- Coveted Prize : Anything - to hand, (jump through hoops) to cast
- Deathbellow War Cry : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Divining Witch : Anything - jump through hoops, to hand
- Dwarven Recruiter : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Elvish Reclaimer : Land - to battlefield
- Emergent Ultimatum : Anything - tutor by name, to cast
- Enigmatic Incarnation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Fabled Passage : Land - to battlefield
- Faerie Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Fiend Artisan : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Finale of Devastation : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Garruk, Unleashed : Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Giant Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Golos, Tireless Pilgrim : Land - to battlefield
- Gravebreaker Lamia : Anything - to graveyard
- Guided Passage : Anything - jump through hoops
- Ignite the Beacon : Planeswalker - to hand
- Jester's Cap : Anything - to exile
- Kaho, Minamo Historian : Instant - jump through hoops, to exile
- Kithkin Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Magda, Brazen Outlaw : Artifact or Dragon - tutor by type, to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Magus of the Order : Creature - tutor by colour, to battlefield
- Merrow Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Mythos of Brokkos : Anything - jump through hoops, to graveyard, to hand
- Nahiri, the Harbinger : Artifact/Creature - jump through hoops, to battlefield
- Neoform : Creature - tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Nylea's Intervention : Land, to hand
- Pyre of Heroes : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by type and CMC, to battlefield
- Quest for the Holy Relic : Equipment - to battlefield, jump through hoops
- Reshape the Earth : Land - to battlefield
- Rootless Yew : Creature - tutor by POW or TOU, to hand
- Scheming Symmetry : Anything - to top of library
- Shared Summons : Creature - to hand
- The World Tree : Creature - tutor by creature type, to battlefield
- Treefolk Harbinger : Creature - tutor by creature type, to top of library
- Ulvenwald Hydra : Land - to battlefield
- Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire : Anything - to top of library
- Vivien, Monsters' Advocate : Creature - jump through hoops, tutor by CMC, to battlefield
- Wishclaw Talisman : Anything - to hand
It wasn't entirely clear to me what categories the below cards should go under since they search for specific card subtypes:
- Opposition Agent : ??? (This sort of counts as a 'tutor your opponents decks' card!)
- Runed Crown : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Runeforge Champion : Rune - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Sanctum of All : Shrines - 'searches for tribal cards'?
- Search for Glory : Snow/legendary/saga - could go under a few sections?
- Spirit of the Aldergard : Land - 'searches for tribal cards'?
Seeing as the three creators of this list haven't been on TappedOut in at least 8 months I'm guessing that this comment won't go anywhere, but at least it's all in one place for people to search for later. I'm happy to help maintain and update this list if I'm given access. (If I haven't heard back in a couple of months then I might look at creating a copy of this list and linking it here for anyone looking for an up-to-date list of tutors.)