Exile up to two target artifacts and/or enchantments.
Basic landcycling (, Discard this card: Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.)
|Have (2)||orzhov_is_relatively_okay819 , abritt|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Sylvan Reclamation Discussion
10 months ago
Your mana curve is so low that you don't need that much land (or ramp even really). Try swapping out a couple lands (and maybe a signet) for the following: Mentor of the Meek, Abzan Beastmaster, Sylvan Reclamation
Bring your price down, consider some cheap, instant-speed protection for your commander! You're drawing a billion cards anyway, you'll always have the mana to spare and probably will draw into at least one when you need it. I'm thinking of cards like: Blossoming Defense, Simic Charm, Mizzium Skin, Sheltering Light, Gods Willing, Valorous Stance
11 months ago
Potential Non-Boros Commanders: Show
If you did want to use a different commander for more colors, here are the ones I would recommend:
I love the idea of being able to include any Giant that you want. Budget five-color mana bases are easy.
Morophon, the Boundless - probably the best pick? It gives a substantial discount and is technically a Giant itself. The anthem tacked on is just gravy. I have one for trade!
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - a bit of ramp, plus his ability is just fucking nuts. Absolutely outrageous. Spewing out giants! An outstanding commander through-and-through.
Kenrith, the Returned King - Grants haste, can bring back dead giants, can grow your army, draws cards. He does everything except be a giant himself. Another outstanding general.
Jodah, Archmage Eternal - Most Jodah decks focus on extremely expensive creatures and spells, so his ability might not be too hot for Giant Tribal. He would work though. Outclassed for sure.
Jegantha, the Wellspring - A bit of ramp in the command zone. Outclassed by the rest, but it IS a giant elk...
Naya colors get you Green, which will add some very good giants and significantly improve your options for ramp, utility, and card-draw. By like, a ton.
Samut, Voice of Dissent - grants Haste, which is dope. The untapping ability can surprise opponents maybe. Not a giant though.
Gahiji, Honored One - Looks like a giant beast, for what it's worth. Boosts your attacks and may even take some heat off of you. A mediocre choice, but not awful.
Marisi, Breaker of the Coil - some good general value. Would make attacking easier due to taking away blockers. Nothing outstanding though.
Atla Palani, Nest Tender - Hatch giants out of eggs!
Other color combinations:
Saskia the Unyielding - Not sure why you'd want to run four colors when you could do all five, but her ability is no joke. Personally I prefer the Blue giants to the Black ones, but Black has some of the best utility and card-draw in the game.
Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder + Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper - want to run most of the giants and have M A X I M U M life-gain? This pair would make for a profoundly distinct Giant Tribal. A truly unique take. Might be lots of fun! You could even try to squeeze in Felidar Sovereign and Test of Endurance for a laugh; certainly not necessary though.
Ruhan of the Fomori - No Green, but he's a giant himself and Blue utility is as good as any. A decent choice, but if you're stepping out of Boros you may as well run Green cards.
The stand-outs to me are Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Morophon, the Boundless - Kenrith, the Returned King - Mayael the Anima - Bruse Tarl, Boorish Herder + Ikra Shidiqi, the Usurper. These are all extremely strong choices.
Here's some of the fantastic Utility cards that you would gain by stepping into other colors (I'll try to list budget cards):
Rhythm of the Wild - Garruk's Uprising! - Elemental Bond - Colossal Majesty - Beast Within - Temur Ascendancy - Nylea, Keen-Eyed - Nylea, God of the Hunt - Primal Rage - Brawn - Heroic Intervention - Golgari Charm - Wrap in Vigor - Return of the Wildspeaker - Soul's Majesty - Rishkar's Expertise - Sylvan Reclamation - Decimate - Genesis Ultimatum - Eerie Ultimatum - Ruinous Ultimatum - Despark - Descendants' Path - Clever Impersonator - Cyclonic Rift - Call to the Kindred - Swan Song - Greed - Casualties of War
Then there is Green's superior mana ramp. Cultivate - Kodama's Reach - Migration Path - Vastwood Surge - Ranger's Path - Nature's Lore - Rampant Growth - Deathsprout -Traverse the Outlands - Boundless Realms... the list goes on.
As you can see, there's a lot there that Red and White just can't even touch. Green is basically the best color in EDH, especially for big-creature decks. Very much worth considering, even if you're trying to keep the deck casual.
1 year ago
In my oppinion, if you wish to increase the token focus, I'd cut the following cards: Collector Ouphe, Felidar Guardian, Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker, Omnath, Locus of Rage, Village Bell-Ringer, Yisan, the Wanderer Bard, Birthing Pod, Red Elemental Blast, evtl. Fauna Shaman
=> Remainders of the Kiki-Combo Package and anti-Control
I'd add the following cards
1 year ago
1 year ago
TolarianScientist, your concern is real. At the moment, I'm running 16 spells which deal with that concern:
- Basic Landcycling: Jhessian Zombies, Ancient Excavation, Migratory Route, Treacherous Terrain, Grave Upheaval and Sylvan Reclamation
- Mana Rocks: Chrome Mox, Lotus Bloom and Mox Tantalite
- Land Fetch: Frenzied Tilling, Deathsprout, Grisly Salvage and Exploding Borders
- The Lone Mana Dork: Leyline Prowler
- Also: Primal Amulet Flip and Coiling Oracle
The problem with mana dorks is that none of the best ones are color pairs. With any other 5-color commander, this decklist would look totally different.
I like your suggestion of borderposts. Right now, the Spells I'd most consider removing are Merfolk Skydiver, Rise of the Hobgoblins, Deathbringer Liege, Terminate and Dovin, Grand Arbiter. Of those spells, how many and which would you replace with borderposts of the same colors?
Sorry for the long response.
2 years ago
Good start to a deck. Rienne looks like an interesting build, and the built-in recursion is pretty powerful. If I might suggest a few cards that work really well with her; Dauntless Escort , Saffi Eriksdotter and Qasali Pridemage are all cards that self-sacrifice with powerful effects that Rienne, Angel of Rebirth lets you re-use. These cards will help to make your board more sticky and keep Rienne around to keep chugging out that value.
Theres a ton of other multicolored creatures that have reusable effects when they enter, like Duergar Hedge-Mage , Knight of Autumn and Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves . If token making is something you're interested in, then Conclave Cavalier and Trostani's Summoner can do a decent job. If you want some good aggressive finisher cards, theres Gahiji, Honored One and Knight of New Alara who can pump your board pretty nicely, as well as the liege cycle from Lorwyn.
Since the deck is three color, getting the right mana on time might be a bit of a problem. You could do with swapping some of the basics out for some tri-color lands, like Command Tower and Jungle Shrine , and using cheap fetches like Evolving Wilds , Terramorphic Expanse and Krosan Verge can help you get the lands you need as you need them. Replacing cards like Safewright Quest with things like Farseek , Kodama's Reach and Skyshroud Claim are also going to help, as you can never have enough mana in an EDH game, as we all know.
Your deck is also pretty light on removal, stuff like Swords to Plowshares , Sylvan Reclamation , Return to Dust , Generous Gift and Beast Within can get rid of troublesome creatures or permanents that threaten you or stop you winning with creatures. While they aren't flashy, sometimes you just need to get rid of that Rest in Peace before it does too much damage.
Thats my take on just some of the cards I figure could improve the deck, but I'm no expert. Play around with it and see what you like. If you find yourself struggling to cut cards, here's a list of what I feel are the weakest links in your deck, in no particular order; Chandra, Fire Artisan - You have access to better card draw and the burn shouldn't be super relevant most games. Dryad Militant , Vernadi Shieldmate , Skyknight Vanguard , Boros Swiftblade and Sunhome Guildmage all seem fairly low impact. Fatal Frenzy seems odd as your creatures aren't super large, and your commander isn't going to easily win by Commander Damage. War's Toll and Mana Web seem like filler slots, but maybe these help against your local meta?
Hopefully some of this helps, I look forward to seeing how the deck develops in the future.
2 years ago
Liking the concept of the deck.
I'm just wondering that you may be a bit light on lands, especially given the number of spells and spells with high CMC. My fear is that you may just be stuck waiting to play Magic unless you hit one of the cheap ramp sources in the deck. Personally I would be running about 36 lands in a deck like this, plus the 5-8 ramp sources you already have.
Another note is that the list appears to have 2x Sylvan Reclamation which you might want to address ;-)
2 years ago
Hey, thanks a lot for your suggestions! There might be couple I'd like to use. As for the others, I've listed my thoughts below:
- I am already using Parallel Lives , and I'm not sure my deck relies enough on tokens to justify running both that and Anointed Procession , especially since it doesn't work with Tolsimir (aside from giving me the extra 3 life). If I feel I need to extra token generation, I might consider throwing in a procession.
- Bower Passage , I don't really like. I dislike cards that straight up turn my creatures unblockable for the right opponent (and may do nothing for others). Dense Canopy I like more, since it affects the whole table, and might therefor work better as a diplomatic tool. Same goes for Gravity Well . The problem remains though that they're dead cards if I'm playing against someone without flyers out. For a first draft I'd rather rely on the removal granted by the fighting ability and see if I still have enough trouble with flyers to justify one of them.
- Coat of Arms I don't like much as a card, and it goes against the theme. The last goes for Generous Gift as well, I think Beast Within fits the theme much better.
- I might add Skyshroud Claim if I feel I need more ramp. Nature's Lore I just just don't like in EDH. It has too little impact to be worth a card slot for me.
- I had been looking at my lack of recursion, and considering something like Praetor's Counsel to address it, but I felt it went too much against the theme. Seasons Past is a much better alternative. I'll consider adding it.
- Lastly, I'm going to straight up disagree with you that Aura Shards is in any way better than Sylvan Reclamation . Not only does it exile the targets (which helps against indestructible targets like Gods or Darksteel Forge , against which Aura shards is useless), but it's instant speed whereas I need to pre-emptively cast Aura Shards to be able to respond to artifacts or enchantments coming out, giving my opponents a chance to deal with it before they play their big targets (or get a free turn with them if I hold the Shards back). On top of that, I can basic landcycle the reclamation if I ever find myself in dire need of land. I had considered Aura Shards instead of Nullmage Shepherd , as they are much more comparable, but ended up opting for the shepherd since it allows me to more easily destroy targets on instant speed (since I just need untapped creatures rather than a way to pump out creatures on instant speed to trigger it).
I couldn't help but notice you had a list of your own. I'll take a look at it later and let you know my thoughts on that.