Target creature gains indestructible until end of turn. Scry 1. (Damage and effects that say "destroy" don't destroy the creature.)
Printings View all
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Sheltering Light Discussion
2 months ago
Hey there, you've got a pretty good thing going on here, especially for a first deck. A lot more cohesive than my first EDH attempt many moons ago, which was a horrible mishmash of netdeck and "super secret tech" that in fact did not work as intended. Your secret sauce of mild pillow fort actually makes sense!
That said, here are a few pointers that should help you smooth out some rough edges:
- You should run all seven one-drop instant speed cantrips. They're just good, no matter your specific Feather game plan. You're missing Heal and Panic. They don't get you an instant card, but they're still good.
- Dowsing Dagger Flip is really good ramp that flips quite easily because Feather has wings, and you can make use of the big mana shot with your red-centric pump quite easily.
- I agree that Scroll of the Masters is very nice for ending people with voltron damage, I ran it until taking it out recently to focus more on the whole storming out angle. This is a bit of a sad truth, but decks tend to work better when you zoom in on an particular angle of attack. In your case, keep an eye on how the cast payoffs work. You run quite few rocks, so you won't have obscene mana to keep a crazy number of spells in constant circulation. The token guys are still gonna be good for gumming, but the various Guttersnipe variants might end up lacking. I expect Aetherflux Reservoir in particular to do little for you.
- Some voltron stuff I always thought could be good is O-Naginata and Leering Emblem.
- Emerge Unscathed does nothing for you as you don't care about its rebound. You should have enough repeatable protection stuff to not care about Deflecting Swat. Sheltering Light is nice as it's a form of protection while scrying for 1 mana. Faith's Shield is like a second Apostle's Blessing in that it can also protect a non-creature in a pinch. Not sure how vital that will be for you. My personal protection suite is the one-drop insta-flickers (Cloudshift, Ephemerate), two-drop EOT-flickers (Liberate, Long Road Home, Otherworldly Journey), a few colour protection options (Gods Willing, Apostle's Blessing, Faith's Shield, Shelter) and a bit of indestructibility (Ajani's Presence, Ephemeral Shields, Sheltering Light).
2 months ago
3 months ago
Risk Factor is not good in combo-kill decks. Your opponent will always choose the damage option as their life total don't matter since you're confined through winning by combo.
Remove Truefire Captain and Gideon's Sacrifice. Lethal combos should not take 4 or more cards to win the game with. The less cards you need to win with the more likelier you'll be able to pull off the combo. A better combo than Truefire would be Boros Reckoner, Irencrag Feat, Star of Extinction. (You don't even need indestructible and you could win as early as turn 4.)
In order to consistently pull off your combos you also need draw power. White and Red are not suited to drawing cards which is this deck's biggest weakness. Instead you should make it so this deck wins by dealing damage over time and it uses your main combo as a plan B if that fails. I suggest running cards that just fit well around Boros Reckoner and Jaya, Venerated Firemage.
Feather is a good evasive body that can get some damage across. Pair that with Sheltering Light as you'll be able to scry multiple times and be able to protect Boros Reckoner from removal spells without losing your indestructible spell. Reckless Rage can also be spammed on repeat with Feather, but it also works well with Boros Reckoner as you can ping him with it to remove two of your opponent's creatures at once.
Thermo-Alchemist and Spear Spewer are great early game pinging creatures, but with Jaya, Venerated Firemage you can double their damage output and they make greater blockers to protect Jaya with. Hanweir Garrison also generates crazy value with Jaya as she doubles the power of the tokens you'll be able to flood the board with and the tokens can double as chump blockers if needed.
4 months ago
I have a few you cards you might consider.
Dawn Charm gives so much versatility depending on the situation. If someone destroys a creature, you can just regenerate it and you get the card back. They have a lethal swing? Just prevent it and make a retaliation attack. Get hit with a Traumatize, counter that bad boy. It's just a nice utility card.
Mirrorwing Dragon is nice because it radiates all your instant and sorceries to your creatures, but it's also a great defensive card if some casts Path to Exile. That way it also board wipes their entire board as well.
Akroan Conscriptor can steal your opponents creatures at instant speed. It's especially nice if you have Cloudshift so you can steal them forever. And you can can do this on every turn so long as you have enough mana which is nice.
Chandra's Ignition can be a nice board wipe while also taking the opponents life at the same time. And you can do this on multiple occasions. It is sorcery spee, but it can be speed the game up a little bit.
And lastly, this one isn't really necessary, but it's pretty funny. I know you took out cards that give indestructibility, but if you have a card that gives your creature indestructible like Sheltering Light, then cast Arcbond and Martyrdom, you can just insta-kill everyone if your creature ever takes damage. So it can come out of nowhere and that's pretty hilarious to me.
I've never been great when trying to take cards out to add new ones, but these are just a few cards that I thought would be cool. I have them in my Feather deck and they work out pretty well. Feather's definitely one of my favorite decks I have and it's a lot of fun. +1
4 months ago
Nice deck. Looks fun to play.
5 months ago
Great idea, flash backs to Reflect Bounder and Magic Cylinder in Yugioh. XD
- 2x Sheltering Light for 2x Repercussion (must keep Gideon's Sacrifice for this)
- 1x Sheltering Light for 1x Samut's Sprint (Boost)
- 2x Stuffy Doll for 2x Chandra's Spitfire (Stuffy to pricy mana wise, Chandra is a good backup plan)
- 3x Blasphemous Act for 3x Searing Blaze (Better mana manageable)
- 1x Star of Extinction for 1x Samut's Sprint (Boost)
- 1x Gideon's Sacrifice for 1x Titan's Strength (Boost)
- 1x Justice Strike for 1x Titan's Strength (Boost)
- 1x Boros Signet for 1x Titan's Strength (Boost)
- 1x Boros Signet for 1x Samut's Sprint (Boost)
- 1x Boros Signet for 2x Boros Charm (Good utility in Charm)
7 months ago
Sheltering Light could be a handy saviour for oketra plus has a valued scry?
ooops, thought it said hexproof. my bad
7 months ago
Thud is practically a dud without Champion of the Flame though, as it needs a big creature on the board to sac. The idea is fun, but I imagine some feel-bad beats when your combo gets disrupted by Fatal Push or the like. With U/W you get access to counterspells to protect your combo. If you want to stay R/W, I'd suggest cards like Sheltering Light and/or Gods Willing , maybe take out Boros Charm .