( may be paid for with either or 2 life.)
, , Sacrifice a creature: Search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to 1 plus the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost, put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
|Have (4)||metljoe , , rockleemyhero , switchkill65|
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Birthing Pod occurrence in decks from the last year
Latest Decks as Commander
Birthing Pod Discussion
1 day ago
Curious as to what everyone thinks about the new set both power wise and flavor wise. Just for fun rate your top 5 picks for the most powerful cards and top 5 picks for flavorful/favorite cards. Of course they can over lap.
All of the magecraft cards...cause we all know Chain of Smog is going to be a thing.
Plumb the Forbidden - aristocrats players are going to love this! However, I'm not sure what the floor is for this card; the ceiling is very high though.
Fervent Mastery - well 4 or 5 mana is a bit steep at sorcery speed but god dang that's a lot of value RNG aside.
(This isn't in any particular order)
1) Rushed Rebirth - it doesn't even have to be you own creature! I see this going into any Birthing Pod /Evolution deck that can run in aswell as just being a snap include in things like Meren and Muldrotha. Hell, any BG deck will probably want this if they're running creatures.
2) Galazeth Prismari - now I know some of you are thinking this is just a worse version or Urza but this dragon still has a strong bit. Having red in its' color identity opens us up to shenanigans with Dockside Extortionist . Also, it can break parity with cards like Winter Orb which I'm sure if you've played against that type of strategy you know how infuriating it is.
3) Beledros Witherbloom - essentially a "free" spell at the cost of 10 life. Makes token fodder for things like Contamination but it's that untap "all" lands you control once each turn that's got my gears turning. Now, I doubt it'll outclass frog but it definitely opens golgari up to some big mana ridiculousness. Honestly surprised canal coffers hasn't spiked.
4) Ecological Appreciation - card is just value town city but we already have other similar cards that don't see much play. This just looks very breakable.
5) Solve the Equation - it's a tutor!
1) ink sheild - I love the art and love that it's a proactive fog! I hope for more cards like this in the future.
2) Yedora, Grave Gardener - they just keep printing cool things to verse 5 for, for Yisan. Granted I think this belongs in the 99 of decks that can blink lands but it's a very cool design space.
3) Rushed Rebirth - I just think this card will set up some really interesting plays
4) Shadrix Silversquall - so one of my favorite play styles in casual is king maker and the alternate art is just awesome
5) Magma Opus - obviously not a fan of this in commander but I can see this being super busted in a pioneer deck with fat caster mage - Torrential Gearhulk even though pioneer is dead at my lgs :( still think it'd be a lot of fun.
1 week ago
This deck is so nice. Mutate is a weird mechanic, at least in my play circle. Only thing I missed here is ways to sacrifice your own cards, as you can exploit getin' 'em back. Phyrexian Tower , Phyrexian Altar , Fiend Artisan , Birthing Pod or even Yawgmoth, Thran Physician could work nice in this deck. Also, Solemn Simulacrum and Sakura-Tribe Elder can help this deck to ramp faster, specially in combination with Luminous Broodmoth . The demon-goat-cat-thing commander is heavy on mana with his mutate ability. You also can put some "death traps" there and here. Caustic Caterpillar for example. It works very well with the reanimation mechanics. I would take out Sylvan Caryatid , the Defender is a trap, and you can't use Mutate on humans, so Slippery Bogbonder also don't fit. Bassara Tower Archer , Gladecover Scout and Paradise Druid are cheaper options for Hexproof. You will need Hexproof. Nethroi is a huge menace, specially when starts to absorb creatures.
Anyway, good job.
1 week ago
Hey! So there are actually various ways that this deck can win, and a lot of them don't require a whole lot of setup, just good tutoring and keeping the right cards. All 4 of the combos (Angel's Draw, Bomberman, Dramatic Scepter, and Thassa's Consultation), are win conditions. With Angel's Draw, you cast Angel's Grace first and just draw whatever you want with Ad Nauseam . Bomberman is an infinite mana combo because Auriok Salvagers lets you return Lion's Eye Diamond . Dramatic Scepter is also infinite mana as long as you have 3 mana in the form of mana rocks and mana dorks, you simply exile Dramatic Reversal with Isochron Scepter . Thassa's Consultation is (arguably) the easiest way to win the game, cause it only costs 3 mana and it's pretty hard to stop unless they have counterspells. Simply play Demonic Consultation and name a card that isn't in your deck, you'll exile your entire deck, and then play Thassa's Oracle and you win the game. Of course usually with infinite mana you'll just be drawing your entire deck out with Thrasios, Triton Hero and you'll usually be putting that infinite mana towards Walking Ballista .
Usually if you're wanting to win you'll be looking for 1-2 tutors in your hand, and a piece of a combo, that way you know how you're gonna do it. Aetherflux Reservoir isn't so much a win condition as it is a great way to bypass decks that eat at your life total, because you also tend to hurt yourself a lot. It just gives you some insurance so when you do finally cast that something big, if it gets stopped you at least have a backup.
As for ways to get to the combos, you'll be looking at any tutor of course, and Birthing Pod is an excellent choice for getting out a creature that you really don't wanna be countered. Usually before you win the game you'll want some form of insurance out on the battlefield, so if you have a win con in hand, the pod, and a one drop mana dork, I recommend using pod to get Grand Abolisher out, cause then they can't stop you from winning the game.
Finally, if you're in a situation where ballista isn't gonna win you the game and next turn you'll lose, or if you simply don't have a way to get oracle out or win by damage, there are ways to simply take over the game with things like Memory's Journey , Noxious Revival , and Windfall , or Timetwister . This is simply a combo that if you have infinite mana and Thrasios out, you'll be able to have infinite of every card in the deck, cause you get to shuffle your graveyard over and over again, and don't forget that if they destroy your infinite mana source at some point you can use Hullbreacher to generate some treasure tokens with this. All you have to do is use either Windfall or Timetwister, shuffle everything basically, draw your cards, use Noxious Revival to put it back on top of your library, draw it, use it again, then Memory's Journey to put Noxious and your card of choice back into the deck.
If you have any other questions, just let me know!
2 weeks ago
My initial reasoning for cutting Mystic Remora was that my previous meta just wasn't consistently casting enough non-creature spells early game for me to justify it's use. But upon re-examining the card, in the right meta it can essentially be an Ancestral Recall - but again, it's all about the right meta. I'll slot the card back in and see how it performs. Pyre of Heroes did catch my eye - like a tribal gimped Birthing Pod . I don't quite know what to make of it at the moment, and to be honest don't really have any plans to try and acquire one. Do you think i'm overlooking a good card and possible inclusion for this deck? Please share your thoughts.
2 weeks ago
Looks fun. You might like these: Jalira, Master Polymorphist , Perilous Forays , Humble Defector , Dominus of Fealty , Polymorph , Nephalia Smuggler , Feed the Pack , Teferi's Veil , Birthing Pod , Goblin Bombardment , Blood Aspirant , Dark-Dweller Oracle , Life's Legacy , Momentous Fall , Ooze Garden , Blade of the Bloodchief
3 weeks ago
Hey, well done on such a low budget. Less than $100 is impressive :)
Some $1-$2 or less budget cards to consider adding:
- Miara, Thorn of the Glade : she triggers when Elf tokens die.
- Pyre of Heroes : Elf Birthing Pod .
- Pact of the Serpent : mass draw with Elves.
- Llanowar Wastes : ETB untapped.
- Fallen Ideal : enchant Jarad to give him flying evasion to do Commander damage. Is a no mana cost sac outlet to make Jarad huge while also triggering Poison-Tip, Elderfang, Savra, Nightblade, etc.
- Paradise Druid : could replace a Swamp.
- Golgari Signet : could replace a Swamp.
- Lys Alana Huntmaster : another source of repeatable Elf tokens.
- Jarad's Orders : put an Elf in your graveyard and one into your hand.
- Temple of Malady
Cards to consider cutting:
- 3x Swamp
- Casualties of War
- Masked Admirers
- Golgari Germination
- Necrotic Wound
- Rhys the Exiled
- Uncage the Menagerie
Good luck with your deck.
3 weeks ago
It looks like your breakpoint for Eldritch Evolution is at 3 mana, but the single copy of Gisela is the only creature you can tutor for at that point that costs more than the sacrificed creature. If you want Evolution to be the Birthing Pod for this deck, I'd suggest adding more threats that cost 4-5 mana. Fives are particularly valuable since they can themselves be sacced to find Bruna or Deceiver of Form . Sticking with the Eldrazi type, Emrakul's Hatcher , Kozilek's Channeler , and the popular Reality Smasher seem like they'd be the most effective. The world's your oyster if you don't mind running other creature types. Stormbreath Dragon , Sigarda, Host of Herons , Baneslayer Angel , and Thragtusk are some picks recommended by the internet as the best modern creatures on 5. If you prefer having only the biggest baddest threats in the 7-9 range, I'd cut Evolution entirely for more ramp in Cryptolith Rite / Citanul Hierophants , From Beyond / Awakening Zone , or really whatever other options you prefer. Another card I'd consider cutting is Kozilek's Return since it will wipe out all of your tokens (even after upgrading with Emrakul's Evangel ) unless you're lucky enough to also have Eldrazi Monument out. Maybe Mizzium Mortars could be your sweeper if that's what you're looking for. A final cut I'd make is the odd fifth copy of Game Trail . Unless that's a typo, you don't typically want to run more than 4 copies of nonbasics, even in casual. Plus, your deck looks like it could use more white and colorless mana sources anyway. An interesting option that jumped to my mind was Westvale Abbey Flip since you already have a human token theme. Some other tribal picks that might fit are Champion of the Parish , Thalia's Lieutenant , and Mayor of Avabruck Flip.
Let me know if you have any questions and good luck! (BTW, I'm not a great sideboard builder, but I do know eldrazi make use of Warping Wail and Oblivion Sower in addition to the more traditional hate artifacts.)
4 weeks ago
mrdoctorman, it's as exactly as you stated. Ohran Frostfang is too high on the CMC curve slot. The only reason that Toski, Bearer of Secrets is in is for a few reasons, it hits the Birthing Pod 4 CMC slot as the only other option is Academy Rector in addition it also helps for card advantage, and also chains into the Karmic/Reveillark combo if needed. I personally like Ohran Frostfang but when going into the fast combo route it falls a bit behind.
Thanks for your input!