, Pay 2 life: Draw a card.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
2 days ago
I'd honestly play Greed over Arena just because even two black means you're able to draw more cards, and it's very easy to sink three or four mana into it, although the cost is MUCH higher(which balances it I guess)
3 days ago
Phyrexian Arena is never great, but it is a solid, recurrable card draw option for decks that lack access to better draw options. Obviously if you are playing blue or green you have better options, but if you are in black and can't benefit a ton from sac-draw synergies this can be decent if played early. Late in the game it will be dead, which is why it isn't great, but that's not why we play it. I agree with golgarigirl that one-off card draw spells are underwhelming, especially if like Sign in Blood they only leave you one card up. Now Necropotence is worth the hype, but also insanely expensive in real-world money (glad I got mine when it was cheap), as are to a much lesser extent Bolas's Citadel and Greed . But as we need around ten card draw spells in any given deck Phyrexian Arena will often make it into certain decks and be decent. As others have said, its definitely not the format staple it once was.
1 week ago
2 weeks ago
Dermotaxi: The unexpected Phage the Untouchable tech
White got some nice new toys in Esper Sentinel and Solitude (actually a good card in the cycle which is rare)
Ragavan is pretty neat, not sure if it will replace Grenzo or Breeches at the helm of those style of decks, but I like the card
Piru is another awesome callback to deep MTG lore.
Lonis is fantastic. I love it when they print commanders for narrow archetypes
Not sure what all the hub-bub about Gaea's Will and Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth is about. The cards are strong but not too strong, and they fit perfectly within Green's color identity. Seem well designed to me. I could see Gaea's Presence being a bit gross in modern As Foretold or Living End decks, but that's about it It'd actually be nice to see a full cycle of Urborg and Yavimaya printed someday.
Nice to see some good $$ reprints in Greed , Mirari's Wake , Enchantress's Presence , Zuran Orb , and Sterling Grove . None of these will impact Modern, but it's great for commander. Other than the clear cash grab choice to print Cabal Coffers at mythic, the reprints have been on point this set so far.
2 weeks ago
3 weeks ago
I think baseline EDH rock ramp is fine for white, drawing is another matter.
Alms Collector exists and is worth mentioning
Some custom cards I've made on the topic Show
Monowhite Charity (ignore the ones with "!" in their name, they're unfinished)
Various "Monarch"-giving cards: I think this mechanic is a good fir for white in multiplayer. Aside from being flavorful, it leverages the color's strengths in both combat defense and cheap flying creatures which is otherwise kinda difficult in EDH.
3 weeks ago
Ok, so firstly, 10/10 for flavour on the deck. Definitely a +1.
So there is some things that I think would be useful however for you:
- Obviously, no tap lands would be ideal, but I understand budget and stuff can be problematic. You could look at things like the Modal Dual Faced land cards from Kaldhiem and Zendikar Rising ( Clearwater Pathway Flip etc. If you are able to stretch to Shocklands Watery Grave , Blood Crypt and Steam Vents ) then these are certainly worth the investment.
- There are some really good other Planeswalkers you could include. Liliana Vess would give you some tutoring ability to find pieces you want. Ashiok, Dream Render shuts down your opponents ability to search, and you can exile opponents graveyards if needed. Also, if you are wanting that "Planeswalker vibe", The Chain Veil is both awesome and super flavourful in the story of Bolas, Lilly and there deal they struck. Also, Narset, Parter of Veils will stop your opponents getting card advantage on you.
- Seeing as you have Niv in here in his many forms, Curiosity is an easy combo here that can result in killing your opponent. Only thing is you need to wary of the number of cards in your deck.
- To help you cheat some of those hefty costed dragons into play, you could consider Cryptic Gateway . Your Dragons can pay for more dragons.
- Honestly, some card draw could be useful too. Phyrexian Arena and Greed are some could card generators to help keep you with a stacked grip. You could also use things like Rhystic Study and Mystic Remora if your budget allows.
Good luck with the deck. Will be cool to see how it evolves.
3 weeks ago
Reconnaissance (read my deck description for an ideas of just how good this card is here - link below), Shared Animosity , and Mirror Entity deserves spots as finishers. Purphoros, God of the Forge is amazing as well and each vamp you cast domes each opponent for 4. Drop Door of Destinies though as it does absolutely nothing for your current board, costs too much for aggro, and requires gas to fuel it after it comes into play.
I'd also recommend more board protection like Boros Charm , Flawless Maneuver and/or a personal favorite of mine... Scapegoat . Scapegoat allows you to immediately redeploy and get your eminence triggers again while pseudo dodging exile, -X-X, sacrifice, and other hard to dodge wraths (it also doubles as a finisher with Purphoros out). I'd rather sac a token than end up in topdeck mode.
Lastly is card draw which you'll want a lot of. Necropotence , Twilight Prophet , Phyrexian Arena , Greed , and/or Dark Prophecy all work good here. Herald's Horn and Oversold Cemetery both will put cards in your hand as well.
Edgar's Dega Vampires for reference. Upvotes on any of my decks are appreciated.