Destroy all nonland permanents your opponents control.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ruinous Ultimatum Discussion
1 month ago
ninja8244 I've been enjoying all of the asymmetrical boardwipes. Ruinous Ultimatum and Elspeth, Sun's Champion allow me to clean up the opponent's board while leaving mine in tact. In play the planeswalkers have felt really nice. They allow for snowballing value, card advantage and repeatable token producers. I think you're right, Chandra, Acolyte of Flame deserves to be tried out. I did end up cutting Storm-Kiln Artist and Orzhov Enforcer to add a bit more interaction. But I do like the fury storm + storm kiln combo for infinite mana (which in this deck means infinite damage).
I'm trying out Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite , which makes me want to put some more reanimation into the deck and maybe slam in a Razaketh, the Foulblooded ... but I'm worried about that pulling me in too many directions -- I'm already stretched on token production, payoff and interaction as it is.
1 month ago
Hey, nice budget version.
Here's two combos that give you repeatable value or can potentially win the game without having to attack with Vamps which in some situations is helpful in Commander.
- Oathsworn Vampire + Cruel Celebrant + Yahenni, Undying Partisan
- Captivating Vampire + Throne of the God-Pharaoh
Oathsworn Vampire + Cruel Celebrant + Yahenni, Undying Partisan is a Vamp combo because of Edgar's eminence to create as many Vamp tokens as mana you have available from repeatedly casting Oathsworn from your graveyard. This combo makes die triggers from Celebrant by sacing Oathsworn which is what lets you cast Oathsworn from your graveyard. Combine these Vamps with Cordial Vampire to make your Vamp army powerful with +1/+1 counters. Combine this combo with Captivating Vampire to gain control of a lot of your opponents creatures.
Bontu's Monument is nonVamp card that can replace Celebrant in the combo and it reduces the cost of Oathsworn to only one black mana. Blood Artist can also replace Celebrant. Viscera Seer is another Vamp sac outlet that could replace Yahenni in the combo.
Throne of the God-Pharaoh combines with Captivating Vampire and other Vamps to drain all your opponents life by tapping Vamps. Captivating can gain control of a creature and that creature can be your own creature repeatedly which means that if opponents don't have creatures to steal then you can continue activating Captivating.
Here's some suggestions of how to improve the manabase on a budget.
- Exotic Orchard --> Guildmages' Forum
- Caves of Koilos --> Scoured Barrens
- Battlefield Forge --> Bloodfell Caves
- Shineshadow Snarl --> Orzhov Basilica
- Foreboding Ruins --> Rakdos Carnarium
- Smoldering Marsh --> Temple of Malice
- Tainted Field --> Temple of Silence
- Tainted Peak --> Terramorphic Expanse
Good luck with your deck.
1 month ago
Ziabo: Thanks man, glad you like it! It's pretty damn fun to play. Morophon could be a decent commander for 5-colour Eldrazi, too, but I really like Golos . Easy to cast without caring about which colours I have, an ETB effect that helps solve my colour problems and an activated ability to cheat amazing, expensive spells into play. Add Morophon to the 99 instead.
DivineKhaos: Artifact ramp is really strong and super fast, so it was tempting. I focused on more land-based ramp to help solve my colour needs, since nearly 40% of my spells require coloured mana, including a number that need or . Omg and I'm running Ruinous Ultimatum ?? What was I thinking! I'm also trying to be more resistant to artifact destruction. This deck scares my playgroup so they toss a lot of removal at it and it can feel pretty bad when all your mana rocks get taken out and you're now behind everyone else at the table.
Hustleberry: Lots of good suggestions, thank you! It's just really hard to make cuts to fit in more at this point. That's the biggest difficulty in 5 colour decks, I could run anything and there are hundreds of amazing cards that could work, but I can only fit 99.
- I would play Expropriate if it weren't so damn expensive :)
- Enter the Infinite with Nexus of Fate is definitely strong, it's just hard to make cuts to fit it. At one point I ran Enter the Infinite with Omniscience but after pulling it off a few times, I was over it and took it out.
- No Mercy just isn't enough to stop my playgroup. I've tried it in some decks but my best defense truly is a strong offense with this deck. And board wipes :p
- Agreed, Blue Sun's Zenith is better than Mind Spring and would be a good swap. But since then, I changed over to Finale of Revelation instead.
- You're right, I definitely have non-Eldrazi themed things in here but Platinum Emperion just feels too out of place and I'd feel bad removing one of my big Eldrazi beaters to fit him. If I were to pick one up, I'd put it in one of my artifact-focused decks instead.
- It That Betrays instead of Artisan of Kozilek ? Agreed! Changed... some time ago now. I'm very late in replying to your comments ;)
hkhssweiss: Cloud Key and Semblance Anvil are good, but my card types are so spread out that their effect becomes pretty limited and I do already run things like Urza's Incubator and Herald's Horn , the latter of which which does more than just reduce the cost. Don't think I want to invest too much into just reducing creature costs, when that only accounts for 20% of my deck. Having said that, Cloud Key and Semblance Anvil are fantastic in my artifact decks :D
1 month ago
2 months ago
Hey, good work in progress and nice borderless alternative art Kaalia :)
Austere Command and Ruinous Ultimatum are two powerful board wipes. Both these wipes can be only opponent sided which can give you a huge board presence advantage. Kaalia really benefits from ramp as a backup plan to cast high CMC creatures if you can't cheat them onto the battlefield. My advice is find deck spots for more ramp.
- Arcane Signet --> Rapacious Dragon, since you have Goldspan Dragon, Rapacious is not needed.
- Rakdos, Lord of Riots --> Hellkite Punisher, subpar creature compared to the other seven drops.
If you only added two more ramp sources then these are the two to add. Rakdos can be cheated onto the battlefield with Kaalia and then he alone can be a backup being a source of colorless mana for ramp when he or any other creatures you control do combat damage to an opponent.
Can't go wrong with adding the the other Signets, more two drop ramp that's also color fixing to help the 20+ basic lands.
You have several really good lands Mesa, Foundry, Spectator, Vault, Haven, Gemstone, Savai, but then the rest of the manabase has much worse filler lands as well as 20 basic lands.
- Command Tower --> Akoum Refuge
- Exotic Orchard --> Bloodfell Caves
- Caves of Koilos --> Scoured Barrens
- Battlefield Forge --> Wind-Scarred Crag
- Nomad Outpost --> Temple of Malice
Tower is a staple land for multicolored Commander decks. Orchard is also a staple land for three or more color decks in multiplayer. If you only added these five they would improve the manabase quite a bit, but you could take it further and add more dual lands in place of some basic lands to help color fixing which in return helps gameplay.
Of course all these land suggestions are budget ones, there's many other more expensive price lands such as other Rainbow lands, more Fetch lands, more Shock lands, Filter lands, other Check lands.
Good luck with your deck.
3 months ago
I feel this is a build that will require constant attention, because it is greatly influenced by power creep. For instance, Ruinous Ultimatum was added as soon as it came out, and I am already including Piru, the Volatile ahead of its release.
I am not trying to make this a Tier 1/cEDH deck; my friends and I play a power level average of Battlecruiser, we like to keep it casual. Infinite is a no-go and we don't play Sol Ring.
I have already started making changes, the list is currently in prototype mode. What would you cut, and what would you add?
Thank you for your input!
3 months ago
Hmm, that's a good question. In my opinion board wipes don't work too well in token decks, so Ruinous Ultimatum might not be the best fit. Anax in general is a great card, but you don't really have a lot of payoff with him, and you will probably just end up sacrificing him. For other cards, I'm not too sure. plumb the forbidden, orzhov enforcer, storm-kin artisan, and doomed traveler could all go. Also on the planeswalker front, I think the only planeswalker you really need would be a Chandra, Acolyte of Flame . Tevish, Lilliana and Elspeth all come out really late when you already will have some sort of engine or combo already in play.
3 months ago
As a baseline, you'll need to add lands, which I'm sure you know. Since you're making Treasure and Gold tokens in this deck you'd probably be good with roughly 34-36 lands, leaning more to the most mana color you'll need, say like a 25/25/50 split if thats what you're going for.
While I do like Gisela, Blade of Goldnight and Tariel, Reckoner of Souls they have a high mana cost as most good Angels do, while Tariel synergizes well with your strategy she does have that randomness factor and would advise a more reliable and consistent option. Gisela speeds up the game. As a player this is good and accelerates the game, but as an opponent my first priority would be to get rid of Gisela and that paints an even bigger target on your back.
Restoration Angel is fantastic for your edict effects, at face value. You'd need to run flicker effects to really make it shine. Basandra, Battle Seraph seems really good, forcing people to attack is nice and it prevents players from casting anything in combat, however it means instant speed removal will be used before the combat step. This also stops you from casting spells in combat.
As for Human synergy, I really like Teysa Karlov , Thalisse, Reverent Medium , Queen Marchesa , General's Enforcer and Fain, the Broker . All of them work very well with the token strategy, especially Teysa and Thalisse
Things I wouldn't necessarily include are cards like Juri, Master of the Revue (as good as she is with Fling ), General Kudro of Drannith (incidental unless you go all in on the Human tribal strategy), Devout Chaplain (same reason for Kudro), or Dire Fleet Hoarder (basically a one time effect unless you jump through the Teysa hoop, yes it does give you a Treasure token, but at a cost of 2 mana and the creature dying).
As for Demons I really like the Archfiend of Depravity and Rakdos, the Showstopper , their mass sacrifice effects are wonderful, however Rakdos does effect your board heavily unless you play to his synergies, you wouldn't want Negan to die to his effect would you?
-When it comes to your Dragons, I think you hit the nail on the head, nothing I would really change or take out. Allows for Magda, Brazen Outlaw to have a decent outlet if you don't want an artifact.
-Finally, the other things you've got going. Dockside should just be an auto-include, albeit a heavy price tag, but if you can get one you should definitely include it.
Dark Impostor , while mana intensive is still a decent mana sink that can function effectively as targeted removal. Definitely keep your edict creatures, they are super useful and trigger Negan, and thats what you want.
Starnheim Aspirant is useful if you go super heavy into the Angel theme, but if you skimp on the Angel theme this could very often be a dead card.
Storm-Kiln Artist , I like this a lot for this deck, can be a beater, and generates value.
Vault Robber , seems bad, and bad to do. Synergizes with Magda and makes Treasure tokens, but thats really it... PLUS it requires you to have a creature in YOUR grave. I'd cut this, but if you have a reason to play it I'm not seeing immediately play it in your deck.
Viscera Seer , good card, good sac outlet, not much else to say.
Creatures I'd include based on what I've seen: Solemn Simulacrum , Burnished Hart and Mayhem Devil . Some good ramp and a decent damage dealer if you'd like to play a cheap one. Plus the Devil is great at just 3 mana.
Angelic Renewal is basically a one time effect. While good, there are better recursion spells out there, but this one does fit the Angel theme so thats really cool. :D
Aside from that, I think that's a decent spread of enchantments. Nothing to add really, love the inclusion of the Sagas and Revel in Riches .
- Shiny Impetus is good for token generation, but don't play a sacrifice creature to have that player just get rid of it, deceptively good and bad.
The Eldest Reborn is also another good saga to include if you want another edict type effect, and when it does go off you can get what you want from players' graveyards.
The three signets for your colors, Arcane Signet as well.
Panharmonicon to double up on edict effects.
- Approach of the Second Sun : Does provide you an effective way to win, very good card for a deck like this especially if the game goes long.
- Brass's Bounty . Love it, not much else to say.
- Contract Killing fits the theme and the flavor. Love it.
- Damnable Pact is good card draw for you, and useful against someone who flies too close to the sun.
- Debt to the Deathless / Entreat the Angels . While both good, is not something you want to draw into early game or open with. I would highly suggest playing less finisher cards like these, but if you wanna play em don't let me stop you.
- Killing Wave . Love it, super good.
- Necrotic Hex . Expensive, but great effect.
- Excavation Technique is actually a really good spell. Synergizes with Magecraft like WoTC intended and is deceptive for your opponents.
- Increasing Devotion / Finale of Glory . One of these is better than the other. I'll let you decide which is which.
- Heartless Pillage / Seize the Spoils . I really like both of these cards as spells and thematically. They work well for Negan and as spells for you to Pillage and Loot with as you please.
- Ruinous Ultimatum / Tragic Arrogance : Both are fantastic, especially as finisher spells. I'd make a point to include both so you have an option when you're ready to win(IE: Revel in Riches in play with a ton of creatures on board, its akin to vandalblasting with a lettuce on board).