Creature — Merfolk Mutant
When Merfolk Skydiver enters the battlefield, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
: Proliferate. (Choose any number of permanents and/or players, then give each another counter of each kind already there.)
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
Merfolk Skydiver occurrence in decks from the last year
Merfolk Skydiver Discussion
5 months ago
Mystic Barrier can help keep ur walkers alive longer.
A fun interaction in ur deck is with Astral Cornucopia and Atraxa. Atraxa can give it more counters, and it can get more mana.
Chromatic Orrery can help with mana fixing
7 months ago
Digging the first pass of the deck I would try to go all-in on the infect theme and ditch some of the +1/+1 counter focused cards. Would make the deck feel a lot more consistent in games played.
I also see some cards that give brokkos some form of evasion, its worth noting that brokkos already has a pseudo-evasion like effect by naturally having trample, which deters people from blocking anyways, I feel that the additional evasion effects via creatures to mutate onto seems a bit extra.
I reccomend removing these:
- Merfolk Skydiver - +1/+1 theme, its nice for a 5 mana proliferation sink but I feel its too clunky
- Pollenbright Druid - A one time proliferate is likely too cute for this deck
- Polukranos, Unchained - +1/+1 counter themed, I see the argument for mutating onto a huge creature with +1/+1 counters, but polukranos also shrinks really quickly
- Elusive Tormentor Flip is a nice unblockable threat, but we're winning by going to bash town with infect damage, rather than an unblockable 6/7
- Silhana Ledgewalker Another pseudo-unblockable threat.
- Toothy, Imaginary Friend I likely would only play this card with Pir, Imaginative Rascal, seems very off theme from what you're trying to do aside from giving itself counters.
- Yeva, Nature's Herald This card only gives your green creatures flash, I dont think its really worth it... otherwise I would be super on board
- Blighted Agent is a human and you cannot mutate onto it. I'm not sure if you want to keep it in the deck as an extra infect threat, or go all in on the mutate plan.
- Relic Putrescence feels way too narrow just for giving its controller a single poison counter
- Simic Ascendancy Is a +1/+1 card that I dont see as a viable backup plan
- Leyline of Anticipation It's nice casting things at instant speed but that isnt really the theme of the deck, if folks have instant speed removal they will likely use it anyways and this wont get you many bonus points
- Golgari Charm What is this for? Removing 1/1s? Brokkos has trample and your infect creatures might have 1 toughness... regenerating brokkos? Just mutate again..
Cards I would consider adding:
- Rot Wolf
- Whispering Specter
- Plague Myr
- Blackcleave Goblin
- Triumph of the Hordes
- Blackblade Reforged
Since you're looking for more Destroy effects, Card draw effects, and counter effects, consider the following:
- Beast Within
- Vines of Vastwood
- Deadly Rollick
- Phyrexian Arena
- Painful Truths
- Arcane Denial
- Curtains' Call
There are a few different land ramp spells I may play, but those are likely out of budget. For the remainder of the cuts I reccomend taking out the worst infect creatures, and possibly some of your land ramp spells
8 months ago
Bringing down the average CMC or upping the levels of interaction will do a lot;
Jade Bearer, Kumena's Speaker, Brineborn Cutthroat, Harbinger of the Tides, Merfolk Trickster Mistcaller, Mist-Cloaked Herald/Triton Shorestalker, River Sneak, Silvergill Adept and Merfolk Skydiver will all let you operate at a lower CMC.
Lowering the curve also means you can run Neoform in place of evolution.
Traditionally merfolk is a tempo list using creatures that delay your opponent, then unblockability (previously islandwalk/flood effects) to finish them off. Its one of the few lists where a bounce effect is often just as effective as a kill spell. Its place in modern was defined by Blood Moon reslience from an all-island manabase combined with land disruption in Aquitect's Will, but that is not relevant in pioneer, so you will need to experiment to find a new nieche. It might be able to emulate affinity with ozolith support, with some luck and a favourable meta.
9 months ago
DankMagicianD this thing is fragile but it's fun! So far our fastest confirmed kill is
T4: Merfolk Skydiver proliferate.
Not sure how much faster I can get but it was at that time I was politely asked to switch decks.
9 months ago
9 months ago
10 months ago
In my Atraxa EDH deck, I have Herald of Secret Streams, because of how awesome that card is, but I am considering replacing it with Abzan Falconer, which I actually had in that deck before I replaced it with Merfolk Skydiver.
Being unblockable is very awesome, but the falconer has a lower mana cost than does the herald, it can put a +1/+1 counter on itself, and flying is usually more versatile than is unblockability (i.e., it has both offensive and defensive uses, whereas unblockability has only offensive uses), so such a replacement does seem to be very appealing.