Combos Browse all Suggest
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Hour of Reckoning
Convoke (Your creatures can help cast this spell. Each creature you tap while casting this spell pays for or one mana of that creature's colour.)
Destroy all nontoken creatures.
1 month ago
let me just reiterate your card choices aren't wrong. these suggestions are going to be because maybe we have different play styles or different metas. like i really try to keep my removal as flexible as possible and my +1/+1 counter deck is atraxa . Armorcraft Judge its unreliable and is a bad top deck. Avatar of the Resolute it just doesnt scale well to edh. Custodi Soulbinders paying 3 mana just to make a 1/1 is'nt very exciting. Fertilid ive used this one alot and in my games i almost never used it to ramp it was just a vanilla creature.
Return to Dust is just awkward i much pefer Heliod's Intervention. Ruinous Intrusion 4 mana to blow up 1 artifact or enchantment isn't worth it even if does give you a few counters. Lifecrafter's Bestiary with so few creatures its not great. with more creatures in here it could be great. Celestial Judgment there will be games where it will give you the win but there will be games where someone just has something huge out that this just misses or youll have to blow up more of your own stuff then an opponents Hour of Reckoning this is only good in a token deck.
some replacements creatures. Park Heights Maverick, Loyal Guardian, Forgotten Ancient, Walking Ballista, Pir, Imaginative Rascal, Steelbane Hydra, Evolution Sage, Conclave Mentor. non creatures Hardened Scales, Austere Command, Damning Verdict, Tome of Legends, Coalition Relic, Vastwood Surge
2 months ago
2 months ago
Hey! Amazing list and thanks for keeping it updated. Curious about your thoughts on the new Streets of New Capenna Commander Card, Grand Crescendo?
Thanks for keeping this list maintained!
5 months ago
Hey! Kinda late, but I would like to suggest some stuff:
(Disclaimer: I have a budget way lower than yours, but I've been tinkering with Ghired for almost two years - he's my favorite commander. I'll break the suggested upgrades down into categories for better organization.)
- You need them for Ghired and his tokens to attack right away, as well as to use your creatures with tap abilities on demand. Please consider Hammer of Purphoros in addition to Lightning Greaves and Fires of Yavimaya. The Hammer can even create tokens if needed.
Ramp: Run at least 15 ramp cards to make your deck flow smoother and faster.
As an aggressive deck, speed is fundamental. Fellwar Stone, Nature's Lore, Three Visits, Skyshroud Elf, Bloom Tender, Faeburrow Elder, Chromatic Lantern, Coalition Relic, Wood Elves, Skyshroud Claim and Mirari's Wake can ramp and heavily fix your mana, taking the place of Gyre Sage, Solemn Simulacrum, Rampant Growth, Sakura-Tribe Elder and Xenagos, the Reveler - the latter is a win-more ramp, and his 2/2 token is not large enough to synergize with the power-based card draw, while the other four fix for a single color of mana (Ghired decks can sometimes be color-hungry), and this deck can't abuse the sad robot for value.
In the land department, Krosan Verge and Blighted Woodland pull their weight, and synergize greatly with Avenger of Zendikar and Rampaging Baloths. Maybe remove Cascading Cataracts? (Your spells are not THAT color hungry.)
Have you considered Warstorm Surge and Terror of the Peaks as a mean to do damage even before attacking? The dragon can even be cloned with Flamerush Rider, Flameshadow Conjuring and Soul Foundry for extra copies of the same effect (the game ends quiiiickly after that). I'd remove Dragonmaster Outcast for that, since its effect is slow (albeit amazing if he lasts on the field).
Extra combats: You don't have to worry about your opponents' answers if they never get to their turn, so...
- Moraug, Fury of Akoum, Aurelia, the Warleader, Combat Celebrant, Scourge of the Throne (I believe there is an infinite combo involving those two), Savage Beating, Response / Resurgence, Breath of Fury (always attach it to your disposable tokens to keep attacking).
Winds of Abandon might replace Hour of Reckoning. I don't really like to lose Ghired on a boardwipe, since he costs 7 mana to recast. Winds of Abandon also works as evasion for your creatures, since your opponents won't have creatures to block. As for the ramp it offers, an opponent can't do anything with the extra lands if he/she's dead, right? :-)
Card draw: Alongside ramp, it is my main concern with Ghired. I want to be able to rebuild my board after a boardwipe.
I believe that Camaraderie can be substituted for Shamanic Revelation as the latter cost less mana. Mouth / Feed is another option that creates its own big token. Return of the Wildspeaker can either draw cards or buff creatures for an alpha strike.
Keeper of Fables triggers all other power-based card draw, while giving easy draw triggers to all your trampling creatures. Elder Gargaroth is a buffed, more versatile version of it. And remember: both can be cloned for extra juicy draw or extra tokens.
Sylvan Library is an overall great card filter for your regular draws. It gets better with shufflers like fetchlands and tutors.
Since your deck is focused on attacking and getting extra combat steps, Etali, Primal Storm might be a fun way to play your opponents' cards while lowering their life points.
Some cards I suggest you to remove:
- Sundering Growth: you already have enough flexible removal. You will almost never be in a situation in which the token to copy and the artifact/enchantment to remove are optimal choices. Since you're running Eladamri's Call, Reclamation Sage might be worth including (and cloned for the enjoyment of your friends).
- Starnheim Unleashed: one token is too little for a whole card slot in the deck. If you're foretelling, it costs a lot of mana to be worthwhile. The game might be over before that.
- Growing Ranks: waiting a whole rotation to get a token which does not even have haste is not ideal.
- Ghired's Belligerence, Full Flowering: good for a late game play, mostly dead until then. I like those, but I removed them in favor of more mid-game cards, since I might not last until 9+ mana.
- Trostani, Selesnya's Voice: while on-theme, it does little to advance your win condition.
- Thunderfoot Baloth: not an amazing buff. Your creatures are big already, and Garruk's Uprising takes care of the evasion.
- Feldon of the Third Path: all-star when there is a lot of graveyard filling - there is none in this deck. (I really tried to keep him on my deck because I like the card, but most of the time there was no creature in my graveyard.)
- Eldrazi Displacer: are you using it for a combo? I couldn't identify it.
Some cool lands for you to try out: (landbase is my favorite part of deckbuilding)
- Castle Garenbrig: how easily do you have access to a Forest for it to be worth including in your deck?
- Rogue's Passage: can sometimes help you to finish an opponent.
- Scavenger Grounds: if you face graveyard-centric decks (you don't seem to use your graveyard much).
- Hanweir Battlements Meld: another haste enabler.
- Gargoyle Castle: sometimes you need a flying token. (I rarely use it, but I like to have the option.)
- Gemstone Caverns: a turn-0 ramp when the first turn is not yours.
- Bonders' Enclave: card draw on a land (easily accessible).
- Mana Confluence, Battlefield Forge, Karplusan Forest, Brushland, Horizon Canopy, Sunbaked Canyon, Prismatic Vista, Cragcrown Pathway Flip, Branchloft Pathway Flip, Needleverge Pathway Flip: more untapped dual lands.
I hope I've been of some help to you. I didn't suggest many token-related cards because I believe that, as long as you have decent ramp, draw and removal in your deck, you can win to your heart's content. Wanna throw in a Godsire? Do it. Prefer to clone your opponents' creatures with Hate Mirage? Go ahead. But the fundamentals of the deck is what makes it flow consistently. Have fun and smash 'em all (and run Doubling Season for extra fun) ;-)
8 months ago
Hour of Reckoning might not be a bad addition, and if you want another token maker Entreat the Angels does exist. It's not the best card, but I think Miracle is a fun mechanic. Angel of Sanctions Also makes a token of itself that can exile a thing, and Song of the Worldsoul just makes more tokens for (almost) free. That, and I think Parhelion II is a fun card. Maybe run Mass Calcify for a one-sided wrath?
10 months ago
Hey xram666, thanks for your suggestions :)
I have had a look at Endless Swarm, and also other potentially good epic cards like Eternal Dominion, Neverending Torment, and Undying Flames. My problem with these cards is that 1) I don't feel like its safe to cast them early, so if I happen to draw them to the first Golos, Tireless Pilgrim activation, its kind of a waste; and 2) they are a bit boring. I mean, if I play Neverending Torment, I wont be able to play any more big sorceries for the rest of the game. And playing big sorceries is kind of the point of this deck. That said, it could be really good, especially if I have a Reliquary Tower on the board, and have gotten to cast one of the draw spells. That should easily give me a hand of 15 cards.
I really like Feral Incarnation, and will probably add it right in :D. I've done the comparison on token producers really easy for myself (and maybe a bit stupidly), and I am currently just adding power together. So for most of my token spells, they add up to about 8, like Elemental Masterpiece, which is 4x2 in power. So since 3x3=9, it beats several of the ones I have included :)
The categories are a bit tangled, but I like them the way they are. Some spells are a bit hard to place, like Inspired Ultimatum and also Necrotic Hex, because they could have been placed in more than one category. What I've done is added them in the category which identifies why I'm playing the card. And in the case of Necrotic Hex, I'm playing it as a board wipe variation that is able to clear indestructible creatures. Might switch things around later on though, nothing is set in stone.
Hour of Reckoning is good, and I have thought about playing it, but I just barely felt like not doing it. I don't want to swap out a board wipe that doesn't kill Golos for it, and the ones that don't kill him have nice side effects, like killing all enchantments and artifacts or giving me tokens. It's also a bit scary to let tokens live when I know of quite a few decks that like to spam tokens. In many cases, those are the most important board wipes - Like if your playing against Krenko, Mob Boss, and he has created 300 goblin tokens, but they have summoning sickness and there's no sac outlet. I don't know.. I might have to think more about how well Hour of Reckoning would work in the deck.
10 months ago
Nice deck: +1 from me for sure.
A really interesting card for token production: Endless Swarm. Somewhat dangerous but winning with this card definitely feels satisfying.
Another option for tokens would be Feral Incarnation
By the way. I would additionally add Necrotic Hex in the token category.
With only token aside your commander you can also think about Hour of Reckoning