Creature — Giant Druid
When Ondu Giant enters the battlefield, you may search your library for a basic land card, put it onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle your library.
Combos Browse all
|Commander / EDH||Legal|
|Commander: Rule 0||Legal|
Latest Decks as Commander
Ondu Giant Discussion
1 month ago
I have a copy of Yashan, implacable earth in my Chulane, Teller of Tales EDH deck, but I am contemplating replacing it with Ondu Giant, because, as great as it is to search for two lands from my deck, I would rather put a single land onto the battlefield that put two into my hand. Yasharn has higher power and a restrictive ability, but the ability is highly situational, and the difference in power shall rarely matter, since that deck rarely wins via combat damage.
4 months ago
Other Cards that you could consider cutting
- Ondu Giant => Seedguide Ash this card is one more mana expsive and has to die inorder to get the lands, but could be such a good upside. This dieing with your commander reads ramp 3 draw 3 cards and gain 3 life
- Soratami Mirror-Guard I get what you are doing here, but I feel like there are better payoffs for this
- Timbermaw Larva => Rampaging Brontodon trample is 1,000% better on this card
- Wakeroot Elemental 5 greens for a 5/5? way overcosted
- Wave-Wing Elemental again similar argument to Windrider Eel not that big of an impact
- Wild Wanderer good but could have better options
- Aetherflux Reservoir I know this is good in commander but why? No synergy at all, there has to be a better card slot here
- Elixir of Immortality I used to put this in all of my decks too, but it is counter productive to your stragay with cards like Splendid Reclamation and The Mending of Dominaria
- Wayfarer's Bauble There is better ramp than this in green
- I see why you have Jiang Yanggu but I feel like there is stronger cards than that. I cut the card to tutor Journey for the Elixir for him sorry :(
- There are a bunch of other better than Ranger's Path you could add, I'll show them in the recommendations
- Future Sight and Ominous Seas both seem strange here. I get future sight can draw cards, BUT I feel you should use mana sinks rather than off the top of your library draw
- Ghostly Flicker is on thin ice, like yes you have all the etb creatures but sometimes it is a dead card. meh at best?
Other Cards that you could consider adding
This is where the fun begins and your wallet cries
- You want Nissa, Who Shakes the World great card, it is a mana doubler ramp, and also you just win with the ultimate
- I heard you like ramp try Tireless Provisioner and pick up one for me while you are at it please
- Here is a gaint list of green ramp Harrow , Growth Spiral , Explore , Khalni Heart Expedition , Roiling Regrowth , Grow from the Ashes , Urban Evolution , Migration Path , Natural Connection , Nissa's Renewal , Nylea's Intervention , Spring / Mind , Animist's Awakening , Omen of the Hunt
- Keeping your life total at a high level Kazandu Nectarpot , Grazing Gladehart , Retreat to Kazandu , Jaddi Offshoot
- Mana Sinks, you are going to have a lot of mana, might as well do something with it Kamahl's Druidic Vow ummm.... yes? Kefnet the Mindful one of my favorite Gods, that doesn't have a place. I look forward to getting attacked by him Sprout Swarm it is really easy for this card to be "free"
That is all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll have more la
1 year ago
Some more giants that are worth considering:
Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas - Kalemne is bae, but I'm biased.
Realm-Cloaked Giant - this card is mandatory.
Quarry Colossus - this one is passable.
Grasping Giant - I love this one--just put it in my Giant deck
Oathsworn Giant - Good utility if you are wanting to swing out every turn
Swathcutter Giant - I actually kinda like this one a lot.
Taurean Mauler - one of the best giants, sadly
Bonecrusher Giant - pretend you're terrorizing Standard!
Arbiter of Knollridge - gimmicky but fun.
Boldwyr Intimidator - I have one in my Warrior deck. Very funny card. Not exactly a powerhouse at 7CMC but the unblockable aspect could win a game here and there.
Siegebreaker Giant - Pretty good for 5 mana IMO
Non-Boros Giants Show
Beanstalk Giant - Ramp AND a giant body
Thryx, the Sudden Storm - Ramp and a giant FLYING body!
Outland Colossus - great rate
Arbor Colossus - great rate
Helldozer is pretty good, but three on-color is often difficult to do in a five-color deck
Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig - Three on-color is difficult in three- and five-color decks, but most would skew Green for the utility and ramp cards so it wouldn't be impossible.
Galecaster Colossus - good even by itself
Erebos's Titan - a weird one!
Jotun Owl Keeper - another weird one!
One thing that's tricky with Giants is that they are traditionally commons and uncommons; usually rare large red creatures are Dragons. As such, many giants are pretty low-impact or poor deals for their mana (think of the classic Hill Giant). There are enough good ones to fill out a deck, though, but you gotta hunt for them.
1 year ago
Well one thing to keep in mind-Yavimaya Dryad can search for a land like Breeding Pool, or something similar because it has the subtype of forest. So it depends on how many cards you are running that ONLY search for basics, like Ondu Giant. Looking at your board I see 11 cards (including lands) that revolve around basics. The lands, (Terramorphic Expanse, Evolving Wilds, Myriad Landscape, and Blighted Woodland) could all be cut for some of the lands I recommended earlier. In my decks I like to keep around 2 or three of each basic land type, that way if you do chance upon the cards like Cultivate etc you can search for what you need, but you don't overwhelm yourself. I think you could cut Deathsprout for something cheaper like Pongify or Assassin's Trophy, and Ondu Giant, Explosive Vegetation, etc could be cut for some of the ramp cards I mentioned, though I would keep in Kodama's Reach, Cultivate, and two others. FOUR mana for a ramp spell is just a bit much in my opinion, and if your going to be playing that much I think an Oracle of Mul Daya could work way better. Hope this helps
1 year ago
Cheers for the suggestions! Hoping to add that better land base and ramp soon.
Again, much appreciated!
1 year ago
Since i'd rather have less efficient land fecthing creatures (ETB effects) than more efficient land fetching sorceries, Im making the following update:
1 year ago
The deck's average cmc is pretty high in the first place, so knocking it down a bit couldn't necessarily hurt. At the very least consider replacing Wild Wanderer and/or Ondu Giant with some more efficient artifact ramp. You could also be running talismans and signets over less potent, less efficient, and altogether weaker cards, such as Darksteel Ingot, for example.
1 year ago
- Command Tower and Sol Ring should be in nearly every commander deck, especially this one.
- Bojuka Bog provides graveyard hate that doesn't affect consistency. It also exiles 2 graveyard, which can be a plus in multiplayer.
- Eternal Witness seems better than Archaeomancer. EWit hits everything. With only 10 targets, I can't imagine hitting 2 targets in your g/y consistently enough to warrant playing it over EWit.
- Same thing for Solemn Simulacrum over Ondu Giant.
- Shriekmaw is a great utility spell that also triggers Risen Reef.
- Farhaven Elf would provide another Wood Elves effect, which could help the landfall theme I see being played.
- Speaking of landfall, Ob Nixilis, the Fallen is a beat stick.